PDA

View Full Version : Shealy a Royal!

doomy3
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
To be released shortly...

Affeldt and another minor league prospect to Colorado for Shealy. This deal is done.

big nasty kcnut
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Awesome news

Moooo
07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Woot!

Will someone make a new roster thread? I am so confused now :)

Moooo

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
SWEEET!

Moooo
07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
I hope the best for Affeldt. I hope he can go somewhere where his expectations are different, and maybe he can find a niche with his new team...

Moooo

gblowfish
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Nothing on Royals or Rockies site on this yet....
Just the Stairs to the Rangers trade so far is public.

penguinz
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Anything to back this up?

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Where did you get this?

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok I am taking back my sweet and calling shenanigans!

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm sure its old news...but 810 just said something about Stairs being gone for a 26yr old pitcher named Diaz.

doomy3
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
It hasn't been released yet, but Jeremy was just saying his goodbyes, and said this was the deal.

It will be public shortly...

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Do you know him or what?

Moooo
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
It hasn't been released yet, but Jeremy was just saying his goodbyes, and said this was the deal.

It will be public shortly...

So where did you hear this?

I'm not doubting you, but if its not on the net, what are you like a job that's in the team or something?

Moooo, who wants connections

Bootlegged
07-31-2006, 02:16 PM
what is the profile on this guy? Young, power hitting 1b?

InvinciBill
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
I just added Shealy to my fantasy team to (hopefully) replace Helton's worthless bat. So you better be right ;^)

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
The guy has some power and should be good at first when he gets a consistent chance.

I liked Affeldt and think he can be a good pitcher but it seems KC just isn't his place. I'm glad we kept him out of the AL.

tk13
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah, he's a big 6'5" right handed bat. Has hit pretty much everywhere he's ever played. He probably would've been given the 1B job in Colorado eventually... but Helton has a massive contract and they couldn't trade him... so they had to trade Shealy instead, can't just leave him wasting away in the minors forever.

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/features/articles2005/08/15/07.html

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Hopefully Shealy will be good for us. Only thing is he adds to what was already an impending 1B logjam.

KevB
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM

Big, solid hitting first baseman. With roughly 100 AB's in the majors, he has an OBP over .400 and an OPS over .900. Must be a reasonably good athlete, as they tried to convert him to the outfield in the spring, but his arm wasn't good enough. This is an excellent haul for Affeldt (assuming the minor leaguer we also gave up wasn't a front line guy).

Bootlegged
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
News and Notes

Player Notes

Jul 31 Ken Rosenthal, of FOXSports.com, reports the Kansas City Royals are trying to acquire Colorado Rockies 1B Ryan Shealy as the trade deadline approaches. The Royals are high on Shealy and the deal in place is rumored to be Royals SP Jeremy Affeldt and a minor league pitching prospect going to the Rockies in exchange for Shealy and a major league reliever.

Jul 28 A trade that would have sent Jeremy Affeldt to Colorado in exchange for Shealy faltered, according to The Kansas City Star.
Recommendation: Since hitting two doubles in his first game with Colorado, Shealy has been on the bench and is 0-4 with two strikeouts as a pinch hitter.

Recent News
• Ryan Shealy: Trade Falls Through Jul 28 (RotoWire)
• MLB Skinny: Trade winds blowin' Jul 24 (Yahoo! Sports

doomy3
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
So where did you hear this?

I'm not doubting you, but if its not on the net, what are you like a job that's in the team or something?

Moooo, who wants connections

You know I can't tell you exactly but it is from someone in the organization, and yes I also know Jeremy.

Unfortunately that's all I can say though, so myself and source don't get into trouble.

I promise it will be public soon. Just wait for it to be released if you like...

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
810 reporting this as fact.

Affeldt and denny bautista for ryan shealy and scott dohmnan

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Deal is done ...Shealy is a Royal

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I guess Bautista wasnt part of our future either, his last start he got shelled hard too. I am glad we got Shealy though!

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I think 810's interns read the planet.....They gave KK a note about 30 seconds after Doomey's post.

Moooo
07-31-2006, 02:38 PM
doomy's got the inside dig!

to DOOMY!!!

Moooo

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
German ot play 1st base tonight...Meinke on the DL

Mecca
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Bautista is to skinny......and always hurt.

JBucc
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
We gave them Bautista too? I really liked him.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I had hope for Bautista out of the pen at some point. This trade is much more "meh" now. Seems kind of pointless.

Mecca
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Bautista is far to injury prone to ever be anything.....

shakesthecat
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
A power hitting, major league ready 1st baseman, in exchange for 2 scrub pitchers who will never amount to squat.

I like it.

tk13
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Definitely gave up two potential really good arms... although we sent them to a place that's not a good place to learn to pitch... Colorado's been much better for pitchers lately because of the humidor, but it's still a huge field and I don't think your curveball breaks quite as well. I've always liked Affeldt, but I'm not sure Colorado is where I'd be wanting him to pitch.

I like Bautista too, but I'm not surprised, with his injuries and mechanical problems. Dayton always seems to be talking about "repeatable deliveries", "avoiding arm injuries", and so on... that definitely wasn't Bautista, although he could definitely be a power bullpen arm.

sedated
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Damn, first MacDougal and now Bautista.

My 2 favorite pitchers are gone.

Bautista had so much potential, damn injuries.

Hope Shealy works out and Bautista fizzles.

CoMoChief
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Nothing on Royals or Rockies site on this yet....
Just the Stairs to the Rangers trade so far is public.

What did we get for Stairs?

Hopefully a guy that can throw a ball more than 50ft and doesnt swing like he doesnt give a shit. And hopefully someone that doesnt come up to bat with Stone Cold Steve Austin's theme music playing.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 02:52 PM

Bautista had the attention span of a gnat. He could have been a decent relief pitcher (set up guy in the mold of a Burgos), but that's it.

CoMoChief
07-31-2006, 02:55 PM

Wasn't Bautista Pedro Martinez's cousin or something? We made a big mistake in getting rid of him, something has to be in those genes.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I had hope for Bautista out of the pen at some point. This trade is much more "meh" now. Seems kind of pointless.

Bautista is never going to amount to crap. He was just taking up space. He doesn't have the body type to take a major league pitching load. He had a chance with the Orioles and failed. He's failed here too. We got him for basically nothing, it was no risk, but it didn't work out.

It's high time for us to stop holding hope against hope that players with a history of failure and are now in their mid to late 20s are going to suddenly find themselves.

Moore hasn't made a bad move yet in my opinion. He's delivering the housecleaning that we needed and stockpiling arms.

GoHuge
07-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Hopefully Shealy will be good for us. Only thing is he adds to what was already an impending 1B logjam.Who is causing this logjam? Where so thin at first right now German is starting tonight. Stairs gone, Sweeney hurt, Mientkiewicz (who is great) is dinged up and not a permanent solution, and we have almost zero legit prospects in the farm. That logjam has been cleared. Where really thin at first now, but I to hope Shealy will be good for us. We've only got one guy with over 10 homers. We need the power bat.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Who is causing this logjam? Where so thin at first right now German is starting tonight. Stairs gone, Sweeney hurt, Mientkiewicz (who is great) is dinged up and not a permanent solution, and we have almost zero legit prospects in the farm. That logjam has been cleared. Where really thin at first now, but I to hope Shealy will be good for us. We've only got one guy with over 10 homers. We need the power bat.

Shealy is the first baseman, with Dougie caddying for him for the forseeable future.

The logjam is for DH, for these people like Huber and Butler who are bats with no defensive position.

tk13
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Who is causing this logjam? Where so thin at first right now German is starting tonight. Stairs gone, Sweeney hurt, Mientkiewicz (who is great) is dinged up and not a permanent solution, and we have almost zero legit prospects in the farm. That logjam has been cleared. Where really thin at first now, but I to hope Shealy will be good for us. We've only got one guy with over 10 homers. We need the power bat.
Well people are assuming that Teahen or Alex Gordon is moving to 1B eventually. There probably is going to come a time where something will have to give... but we'll wait and see. I don't blame Dayton for the move... this guy is a top prospect who hasn't had a chance because Helton blocked him. Moore's just trying to acquire as much talent as possible... we'll worry about who plays where later.

Thig Lyfe
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
I was wondering when Dayton was gonna deal Affeldt.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Shealy is the first baseman, with Dougie caddying for him for the forseeable future.

The logjam is for DH, for these people like Huber and Butler who are bats with no defensive position.

Not so fast on Butler. He's improved a lot this season in RF. I think with another year in Minor League ball in the OF, he could be an every day player in RF for the KCR's by 2008.

Butler, unlike Huber, is an exceptional all-around athlete. Plus, the dude is only 19 years old.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Not so fast on Butler. He's improved a lot this season in RF. I think with another year in Minor League ball in the OF, he could be an every day player in RF for the KCR's by 2008.

Butler, unlike Huber, is an exceptional all-around athlete. Plus, the dude is only 19 years old.

Well, I meant someone who probably would be a DH on another team or whose natural position is already occupied.

Maybe we could do this:

DH - Shealy
1B - Teahen
2B - ?
SS - ?
3B - Gordon
LF - Huber
CF - DeJesus
RF - Butler
4th - Gathright

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I meant someone who probably would be a DH on another team or whose natural position is already occupied.

Maybe we could do this:

DH - Shealy
1B - Teahen
2B - ?
SS - ?
3B - Gordon
LF - Huber
CF - DeJesus
RF - Butler
4th - Gathright

Depending upon how well Gordon, Butler and Shealy progress the rest of this season, I really think we'll see Huber traded in the offseason. We are DESPERATE for starting pitching, and Huber combined with another prospect could yield a legit #2 or #3 type starting pitcher from an AL club.

sedated
07-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Butler is going to need to drop some weight and show some speed to play in the outfield.

we need speed out there. I kinda like what we have now, with DeJesus in left, Gathright in CF, and Sanders (when he comes back) in RF, with Brown pinch-hitting.

but not a long-term solution at all. Gathright would need to learn how to hit.

KevB
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM

Maybe we could do this:

DH - Shealy
1B - Teahen
2B - ?
SS - ?
3B - Gordon
LF - Huber
CF - DeJesus
RF - Butler
4th - Gathright

Plug German/Keppinger at 2B. Buck at catcher. Then, the black hole that is SS. Too bad Bianchi has had to deal with injuries, else he could be plugged in during the 2008 season. Now, it'll likely be 2009 before we might see him.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Dayton Moore news conference:

Recapped who they acquired in trade today.

Says it's hard to give up players you grow attached to. Says he liked Affeldt and Stairs even though he (moore) has only been here a short time.

Many people feel Shealy is an emerging power hitter. People he trusted said he just needed a chance. Said he has good makeup and is a winner. Not a lot of right-handed power in free agents this coming offseason so he addressed the need in this way.

Dohman is an experienced reliever. McClure liked him and thinks he can work with him.

Says he is optimistic that Sweeney will be back. Says his rehab is going well so far. Will be a part of the team next year as well as long as he's healthy.

Working on the Shealy deal for a long while. Had trouble dealing Affeldt because he hadn't seen him pitch poorly. Power left handed arms are hard to lose.

Stairs had people calling about him since Moore has been there. Didn't think Stairs would be dealt yesterday but he got a power arm offered. Less power than Bautista but more control.

Teahen and Gordon's defensive positions could both be changed. Said they will make the decision when Gordon is ready for the majors. Not comfortable with moving Teahen around at this point.

Gordon likely to stay in Wichita. Wants him to be part of the AA pennant race. Lots of positives in Wichita that he wants him to get more of. Played 1B in Arizona a little bit, and was "a solid average 1B"

Thinks Shealy gets in at 9:30 or 10 tonight. Probably won't play today.

Odalis Perez - Moore knows him, been around him a lot and thinks the circumstances here will be good for him.

Was interest in Redman, but Moore felt that they wanted to hold onto him.

Coach
07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Bah, thinking that Sweeney will help out next year?

Bad decision there. Guy couldn't stay healthy, even if his life depended on it. :shake:

tk13
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM

Maybe we could do this:

DH - Shealy
1B - Teahen
2B - ?
SS - ?
3B - Gordon
LF - Huber
CF - DeJesus
RF - Butler
4th - Gathright
I've actually thought that myself. I was thinking of that first Braves division winner or two. That team had Lonnie Smith/Ron Gant/Otis Nixon/David Justice in the OF. Now some of those guys were older than our guys but the same basic idea... right down to Nixon/Gathright. Nixon played like 120 games that year.

I still like Huber though, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

WilliamTheIrish
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I told ya Dayton would get him.

GoHuge
07-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Well people are assuming that Teahen or Alex Gordon is moving to 1B eventually. There probably is going to come a time where something will have to give... but we'll wait and see. I don't blame Dayton for the move... this guy is a top prospect who hasn't had a chance because Helton blocked him. Moore's just trying to acquire as much talent as possible... we'll worry about who plays where later.I'm just pumped we have to find a place for talented players to play. It's a good problem to have, and frankly a welcome one.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
well **** ... im not sure i like that

affeldt AND bautista?? :eek:

ChiefsFire
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
well **** ... im not sure i like that

affeldt AND bautista?? :eek:
Bautista sucks ass

KevB
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Bah, thinking that Sweeney will help out next year?

Bad decision there. Guy couldn't stay healthy, even if his life depended on it. :shake:

It's not a "decision". He's under contract, so what else is Moore supposed to say? He's hoping for the best. If he were counting on Sweeney, he probably doesn't deal for Shealy.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
July 31 • Shealy Escapes Helton, Finds Opening In Kansas City

Royals Acquire:
1B Ryan Shealy, Colorado
RHP Scott Dohmann, Colo. Springs (AAA)

Rockies Acquire:
RHP Jeremy Affeldt, Kansas City
RHP Denny Bautista, Omaha (AAA)

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Trust me, this thread is the last time anyone will complain about losing Bautista.

Thig Lyfe
07-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Trust me, this thread is the last time anyone will complain about losing Bautista.
Considering our record with all the players that have been dealt, I wouldn't complain about anything. A complete overhaul is exactly what this team has been needing.

The prospective lineup is stacked with youth and a lot of potential. If Glass lets Moore spend some money to get a few established players to supplement the inexperiece, this could be a good team soon.

Well, eventually.

doomy3
07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
I am way excited about getting Shealy, although I really do hate to lose Affeldt. I always thought he was a great competitor and did everything the team asked of him. He did everything from start, close, setup, and middle relief, and never really complained at all.

He really is one of the good guys in the league and I hope he is very successful for Colorado.

The other thing I wish we really could have done is moved Sanders and Redman, but with Sanders hurt, and Redman's horrible outing last night, neither seemed likely.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I am way excited about getting Shealy, although I really do hate to lose Affeldt. I always thought he was a great competitor and did everything the team asked of him. He did everything from start, close, setup, and middle relief, and never really complained at all.

If by "never really complained at all" you meant "complained a lot" than, yeah, you're right.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I wish affeldt alot of success in COL. the guy always came out and signed autographs everytime we were out there after the game, class act all the way and very friendly. I really hope he succeeds there, he had pitched alot better lately too. Bautista i dont see as a huge loss really, he is like 120lbs and seems to get hurt and has shown me 1 real start where he did well. Who knows maybe he'll become colorados burgos...