PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Chiefs acquire Bennett in trade with NO

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2006, 08:15 AM
CHIEFS ACQUIRE PRO BOWL RB MICHAEL BENNETT IN TRADE WITH NEW ORLEANS

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club had acquired RB Michael Bennett from New Orleans in exchange for a Chiefs undisclosed draft choice in 2007.

“We have been working on a potential trade for Michael Bennett for the last couple of months,” Peterson said. “As a former number one draft choice he brings quality and experience to the Chiefs and he is still a young running back. Michael has had a 1,000-yard rushing season and has been to a Pro Bowl. He will be utilized to back up Larry Johnson and be involved in our group of running backs as soon as he arrives in camp.”

Bennett (5-9, 207) signed as a free agent with New Orleans in March after appearing in 64 career games (49 starts) with Minnesota. He recorded 713 carries for 3,174 yards (4.5 avg.) with 12 touchdowns as a member of the Vikings. The sixth-year veteran also owns 126 career receptions for 1,040 yards (8.3 avg.) with five scores. The 27-year old originally entered the NFL as the Vikings first-round choice (27th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft.

The former Pro Bowler saw duty in all 16 games a year ago (six starts), posting 126 rushes for 473 yards (3.8 avg.) with three touchdowns and 27 catches for 124 yards and two scores. Bennett enjoyed a career year in 2002, posting the second-best single-season rushing performance in Minnesota history. Bennett posted 255 carries for 1,296 yards (5.1 avg.) with five TDs, earning his initial Pro Bowl berth in the process. He ran for a career-high 167 yards on just 15 carries (11.1 avg.) with a TD vs. the N.Y. Giants (11/10/02) and compiled four straight 100-yard rushing games during the 2002 campaign.

The Milwaukee, Wisconsin native was a four-year letterman on the Badgers football team and an All-Big Ten sprinter at the University of Wisconsin. Bennett ran for 1,681 yards in his only season as a starter with the Badgers, ranking second in school history for single-season rushing yards. A track standout, he also won Big Ten indoor and outdoor titles in both the 60 and 200-meter events in 2000. Bennett was an all-state football selection and state record holder in the 100 and 200-meter events at Milwaukee Technical High School.

icepick64
08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
why not trade for another OL instead? :hmmm:

I just think that is a more pressing need than back up running back, if roaf doesn't come back.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 08:23 AM
So who is the odd man out at RB now QTip.

58-4ever
08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I really like this move. With a career average of 4.5 yards a carry, he is a proven burner. He really didn't have fumbling problems until last year which makes me think it can be remedied.

Tatertot13
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
When are they going to disclose the draft pick. Anything higher than a 4th and I'm going to be pissed.

rad
08-02-2006, 09:25 AM
That's pretty awesome, good job, Carl.

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
CP on 610 said it was a non-conditional 2nd day pick...probably a 4th, given what the Rams are rumored to have offered

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
This works for me. I'd be fine with anything up to a third-round pick.

DaKCMan AP
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
When are they going to disclose the draft pick. Anything higher than a 4th and I'm going to be pissed.

maybe it'll leak out after he passes his physical :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
We got him on the cheap too. He just signed with NO in March for 2 years and 6 mil.

chagrin
08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Aren't we going to need a reliable back up QB at some point? I mean, Brodie isn't ready is he, if Trent goes down? Huard isn't what we want, right?

petegz28
08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
You know some people are just such btiches.

We get a needed backup to LJ and all people do is whine about OL and QB....

if we got an OL or QB people woul dbithc we didn't get a backup for LJ.

CosmicPal
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Excellent. This provides us a little security in the backfield should anything ever happen to L.J. But, more importantly, it gives us a reliable compliment to spot L.J. on some downs. Very good job. :clap:

chagrin
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
You know some people are just such btiches.

We get a needed backup to LJ and all people do is whine about OL and QB....

if we got an OL or QB people woul dbithc we didn't get a backup for LJ.

:shake:
What a tool. Before you go generalizing that EVERYONE would complain that we didn't get LJ a back up, I don't think it's out of line to bring up us needing a back up qb for Trent that we can actually get something out of.

BigRedChief
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM

I just think that is a more pressing need than back up running back, if roaf doesn't come back.

True but LJ can't carry the rock every single play and if you don't have a legit RB as a backup every time he comes out they will go to a pass protection scheme.

With Bennett they have to worry about the swing pass and have to make sure a LB keeps track of him.

milkman
08-02-2006, 09:57 AM

Damnit Carl! :cuss:

I bet that Seattle would trade Walter Jones for Eric Hicks, straight up.
You aren't even trying!!!!!!

Damnit Carl!!! :cuss:

Infidel Goat
08-02-2006, 09:57 AM

What team has an extra OT that is better than who we currently have and who they are willing to trade?

:hmmm:

FringeNC
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Okay, so what are his pass-blocking skills? Is he going to be our 3rd down back, or has LJ improved enough so that he can stay in on 3rd down?

Infidel Goat
08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Damnit Carl! :cuss:

I bet that Seattle would trade Walter Jones for Eric Hicks, straight up.
You aren't even trying!!!!!!

Damnit Carl!!! :cuss:

ROFL

You answered my question!

King_Chief_Fan
08-02-2006, 10:01 AM

They were both needs.......However, it appears that there is some confidence in the backups on the OL. I don't think there is any on the backup RB's. Having to rely on Brown or Q gave me the heebie jeebies. Besides, Roaf is coming back.................maybe?(still hopeful)

Chief Pote
08-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Does anybody know the status of Holmes' return? Did I miss something? He appears to be on their roster.

Coogs
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
They were both needs.......However, it appears that there is some confidence in the backups on the OL. I don't think there is any on the backup RB's. Having to rely on Brown or Q gave me the heebie jeebies. Besides, Roaf is coming back.................maybe?(still hopeful)

I might be the only one here that feels this way, but I am not all that worried about the O-line. When AS adjusted and went to the straight power game with a play action pass, out offense and team was at its best. When we tried to get "cute" (as LJ pointed out) that is when we struggled.

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Does anybody know the status of Holmes' return? Did I miss something? He appears to be on their roster.

CP said doctors still haven't cleared him for contact...he can come back until the 10 game of the season...

but in reality, this move is confirmation that Priest is done...as has been suspected by some for awhile

the more I think about it the more I think it is an awesome pickup...this guy will play and produce a lot this year...and if LJ missed a couple of games I think he could carry the load...and if he hits a seam, he's gone...

both of our RBs are home run hitters...the opposing D can never rest...kudos Carl....

and in case people missed it: CP said it was a 2nd day pick, no conditions

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 10:11 AM

Right now he's on PUP. Now guys like Holthus and Petro are starting to say he's probably DONE DONE.

He's not gonna play.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I hope they had Bennett give Roaf a call and ask him to come back.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I've read that Bennett is a "class act" and team guy. Not that makes any difference on the football field, but there should be zero off the field problems

Red Dawg
08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
This is az great move! Bennet never really got the shot he should have in MN. He'll be good to give LJ a break when needed. He's got decent size and has BLAZING speed.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
This is az great move! Bennet never really got the shot he should have in MN. He'll be good to give LJ a break when needed. He's got decent size and has BLAZING speed.

He never got a shot in MN because he couldn't stay healthy.

That being said, he shouldn't be seeing full-time duty, so the injury risk should be greatly reduced.

This to me is the perfect trade.

greg63
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I just saw Carl's press conference about the Bennett trade. 20% of the discussion was spent on Bennett, 40% on Holms and 40% on Roaf. :shake:

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I can see why this would cause them to want to talk about Holmes.

I really wish people would stop talking about Roaf and move on. He might decide to come back, he might not. You just gotta go with the guys you have and hope for the best.

As for Bennett, the guy has good hands and speed. If he can provide a Holmes-like receiving threat combined with an LJ-like ability to break BIG plays, we could have a great utility player, not just a backup RB.

jynni
08-02-2006, 10:27 AM
What a tool. Before you go generalizing that EVERYONE would complain that we didn't get LJ a back up, I don't think it's out of line to bring up us needing a back up qb for Trent that we can actually get something out of.
What are Croyle, Printers and Huard doing in camp then?

Is there a better QB we should bring in, Jeff George perhaps? :rolleyes:

sedated
08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
:rolleyes: so who will be the backup - Bennett or Priest? :rolleyes:

King_Chief_Fan
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I might be the only one here that feels this way, but I am not all that worried about the O-line. When AS adjusted and went to the straight power game with a play action pass, out offense and team was at its best. When we tried to get "cute" (as LJ pointed out) that is when we struggled.

I don't think you are the only one. I agree with your comment.

BigChiefFan
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
This is a very good pick-up for us. Bennett is the change of pace back we have been needing since Priest's injury. If Bennett can stay healthy we will have a nice one-two punch. I commend the FO for addressing what has been a major question mark up to this point.

dtebbe
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes: so who will be the backup - Bennett or Priest? :rolleyes:

You should update your signature to include Priest. He's done.

DT

Shag
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Living up here in MN, I saw a fair amount of Bennett over the past few years. IMHO, he's an average back at best, and struggles to create plays on his own. He's VERY fast, but that's about it - pure north/south runner with no moves. In between the tackles he really struggles, as unless there's a good hole waiting for him, he'll go down in a hurry. Doesn't break many tackles, or move the pile.

That being said, if the o-line is blocking well, he could definitely be an asset - but, don't expect him to create something out of nothing, like Priest and LJ are capable of. He's the kind of guy who will average 2 ypc for most of a game, then bust out a 60+ yd TD run. IMHO, his career ypc average is a bit misleading...

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Living up here in MN, I saw a fair amount of Bennett over the past few years. IMHO, he's an average back at best, and struggles to create plays on his own. He's VERY fast, but that's about it - pure north/south runner with no moves. In between the tackles he really struggles, as unless there's a good hole waiting for him, he'll go down in a hurry. Doesn't break many tackles, or move the pile.

That being said, if the o-line is blocking well, he could definitely be an asset - but, don't expect him to create something out of nothing, like Priest and LJ are capable of. He's the kind of guy who will average 2 ypc for most of a game, then bust out a 60+ yd TD run. IMHO, his career ypc average is a bit misleading...

Not ideal for a starter, but PERFECT for a backup.

greg63
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I can see why this would cause them to want to talk about Holmes.

I really wish people would stop talking about Roaf and move on. He might decide to come back, he might not. You just gotta go with the guys you have and hope for the best.

As for Bennett, the guy has good hands and speed. If he can provide a Holmes-like receiving threat combined with an LJ-like ability to break BIG plays, we could have a great utility player, not just a backup RB.

Exactly! I really wish they would give the Roaf issue a rest.