PDA

View Full Version : Susie homemaker help solicitation

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I just discovered that one of my lovely children spilled a big gob of Elmer's glue on my desk which has dried overnight. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this off of the desk without ruining the lovely cherry finish?

Bugeater
08-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Belt sander.

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Belt sander.
:cuss: ROFL :deevee:

recxjake
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
that glue is weak, just pick at it

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
that glue is weak, just pick at it
That's what I thought. It seems that I have stumbled across the one batch that has the strength of two-part epoxy.

Iowanian
08-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Fine grit Sand paper or a paint scraper....careful not to scratch the wood.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22remove+Dried++Glue%22&btnG=Search

cdcox
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Isn't Elmer's glue water soluble? Should be able to slowly disolve it away.

Bugeater
08-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Do you have any idea what type of finish is on the desk? How old is it?

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:30 AM
It looks like a wet cloth is doing a good job of dissolving it. I may have caught a break. Damn my kids are destructive. :shake:

cdcox
08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Damn my kids are destructive. :shake:

When I was in 10th grade I had a friend over. We were always posing these hypotheical situations to each other. He asked me what I would do if he wrote on the desk with a magic marker. I said it wasn't that big of a deal because my mom had this magic stuff that would take it out. He kept persisting on the subject, but I was distracted and wasn't paying too much attention to what he was doing. He ended up drawing a stamp on the desk (we were collecting stamps at the time) that said "cdcox emporer of Poland". It also had a drawing of me, although I have to say it wasn't very accurate.

So I go to get the magic stuff mom had to get the magic marker out. She asked why I needed it. Uhhhh. Turned out the magic stuff, wasn't so magic after all, and to this day you can still see a faint image of my royal highness.

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
When I was in 10th grade I had a friend over. We were always posing these hypotheical situations to each other. He asked me what I would do if he wrote on the desk with a magic marker. I said it wasn't that big of a deal because my mom had this magic stuff that would take it out. He kept persisting on the subject, but I was distracted and wasn't paying too much attention to what he was doing. He ended up drawing a stamp on the desk (we were collecting stamps at the time) that said "cdcox emporer of Poland". It also had a drawing of me, although I have to say it wasn't very accurate.

So I go to get the magic stuff mom had to get the magic marker out. She asked why I needed it. Uhhhh. Turned out the magic stuff, wasn't so magic after all, and to this day you can still see a faint image of my royal highness.
ROFL The desk in question also has magic marker on it although it's not terribly obvious. They also decided it would be a good idea to mix flour and water the other day while I was mowing the yard. I'm still finding some of that crap around the house. Did I mention that they are only 10 and 7? I may not make it until the college days.

Braincase
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I'd go with the paint scraper, keep the blade flush with surface, shouldn't scratch.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I watch Antiques Road Show a lot, and I hate to inform you, but getting glue on your desk lowered its value from $90,000 to $40.

milkman
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
The thread title had me thinking you were looking for a MILF, and I was wondering what Jenny would have to say about that.

CosmicPal
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I watch Antiques Road Show a lot, and I hate to inform you, but getting glue on your desk lowered its value from $90,000 to $40.

ROFL

But, there still might be the original designs of the telegraph Samuel Morse left in there.

|Zach|
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
It looks like a wet cloth is doing a good job of dissolving it. I may have caught a break. Damn my kids are destructive. :shake:
ROFL