PDA

View Full Version : Rhett Bomar released from Blow U

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 11:54 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2824545/

Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops says he's dismissing two players from the Sooner football team.

Story continues below advertisement

A news release from OU does not name the players, but News 9 sports director Dean Blevins says one player is starting quarterback Rhett Bomar.

The release says an investigation by the university found the two players were paid to work at a private business and were paid for hours they didn't work.

OU said the two are being permanently dismissed and will not be allowed to return to the team at any time.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione says he's disappointed in the athletes and university President David Boren says he believes Stoops is doing the right thing and he strongly supports the coach.

Demonpenz
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
who decides what is work. Maybe they were doing work at sleep clinic or seeing how drunk they could get from a local alchohol study program

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Haha!

greg63
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Good to see a coach take a hard line on something now-a-days.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM

I think he's trying to avoid sanctions.

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I think he's trying to avoid sanctions.

Ahhh, yes; that would make sense.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Haha!
Damn, we are Classless. Classless Cats.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Hilarious. Stoops is not doing this out of any sense of fairness. He knows about 'getting out in front' of a story. It's a good bet the employer was a booster and the NCAA looks kindly upon schools that act proactively.

Coach
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
There goes OU's National Title hopes as well. Who the hell are their back-ups?

Stack 8 or 9 men in the box.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Hilarious. Stoops is not doing this out of any sense of fairness. He knows about 'getting out in front' of a story. It's a good bet the employer was a booster and the NCAA looks kindly upon schools that act proactively.
It was probably the Chevy dealer in Norman. I called and asked for the "Adrian Peterson Special" and they hung up on me. Stupid land thieves.

Eleazar
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
You mean college athletes aren't supposed to hold jobs? Or have paychecks coming in for jobs they didn't go to?

Who knew!

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Please let the other one be Adrian Peterson..oh please oh please oh please...

Demonpenz
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
bomar soonar!

Bootlegged
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
The BOZ tradition continues!

skky man
08-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Well I'm an ou fan and it sucks but what sucks worse is the fact that all you KU,MU,KS fans have to cheer about is this. It'll cost a shot at the title and that sucks big time. Then again you guys never had a shot this year or last year or the year before. Last time was the purple pussy's when they overlooked little texas a&m. Before you bring up usc and the ass kicking we took. Well 39 conference titles and 8 national titles you all three together can't match that. So wait for basketball season if your a Jayhawk and the rest well just keep on being mediocore and finding your jollys with a real program haveing a bad season!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Rhett Bomar's next team will be _____ ?

I'm going to say Texas State

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Well I'm an ou fan and it sucks but what sucks worse is the fact that all you KU,MU,KS fans have to cheer about is this. It'll cost a shot at the title and that sucks big time. Then again you guys never had a shot this year or last year or the year before. Last time was the purple pussy's when they overlooked little texas a&m. Before you bring up usc and the ass kicking we took. Well 39 conference titles and 8 national titles you all three together can't match that. So wait for basketball season if your a Jayhawk and the rest well just keep on being mediocore and finding your jollys with a real program haveing a bad season!
Owned.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM

There is no crying in football!

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM

This is from The Grapes Of Wrath, right?

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
That's it the grapes of wrath and "there's no crying in football" who's crying? It is a shame though that that's the best comeback you guy's have. I didn't read anything about your teams though. My guess is that OU still has enough talent to win any team from the big 12 north. With the exception of NU cuz I think they are turning the corner!

Chieficus
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
True, this is going to hurt, but better to release him than see the whole program go down in flames for a few years.

As far as I know, we still have Paul Thompson on the team for at least one more year. He's shown a flash here and there, but has not had too many opportunities. Unfortunately, he would be our most experienced...

(I think now is the time I start hoping that Peterson will stay around for his senior year...)

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
FYI: The other player suspended was OL JD Quinn.

JD Quinn and Rhett Bomar accepted $$$ for doing jobs they never did from Big Red Sports & Imports, the same place that "leased" a Lexus to Adrian Peterson.

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Well Peterson I think Peterson is gonna leave cuz I think last year was the first time he got hurt bad enough he had to sit out. He'll be a better NFL RB than a college RB in my opinon. I'm not happy but I like the stance that Stoops is takeing cuz you have to protect the program. Boomer Soooner!

ChiTown
08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
True, this is going to hurt, but better to release him than see the whole program go down in flames for a few years.

As far as I know, we still have Paul Thompson on the team for at least one more year. He's shown a flash here and there, but has not had too many opportunities. Unfortunately, he would be our most experienced...

(I think now is the time I start hoping that Peterson will stay around for his senior year...)

Honest to God, with OU's defense and AP as their RB, I don't think this will be as big of a deal as it might appear.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
That's it the grapes of wrath and "there's no crying in football" who's crying? It is a shame though that that's the best comeback you guy's have. I didn't read anything about your teams though. My guess is that OU still has enough talent to win any team from the big 12 north. With the exception of NU cuz I think they are turning the corner!

You're crying. Like a elemntary school girl, I might add.

You're right you haven't read anything about my team. They haven't kicked anybody off the team for accepting improper benefits. (yet).

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Well Peterson took it back which buy know looks like he's got his head on straight cuz he's got this year and then real $$$ due from the NFL next year. Maybe he's not as arrogant as the others and I'm sure there were more but when you have a big time program you'll always have shit like this come up from time to time. No matter which program you are!

Chieficus
08-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Honest to God, with OU's defense and AP as their RB, I don't think this will be as big of a deal as it might appear.

We'll see... The defense is the big key, but I'm not sure the D is going to be at a good enough level to carry us. Peterson is great, but to also lose one of the starting linemen in this and the potential of facing 8-men fronts more often even puts a dark cloud over their rushing game...

Unfortunately, since I graduated from OU back in '03, I haven't kept up that well with off-season happenings (I don't know who emerged as the #2 QB, or how good the receivers have looked, etc.)...

I'm not going to grow overly pessimistic (dadgumit! I shall forever be a Sooner at heart), but I'm not going to bask in optimism either. I think I'll hang out in the gray area of cautious until the season gets underway...

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
You're crying. Like a elemntary school girl, I might add.

You're right you haven't read anything about my team. They haven't kicked anybody off the team for accepting improper benefits. (yet).

Yeah that's true and the rape a few years ago was just a minor set back to the national rankings! Buy the way we won't hear anything about your school cuz well they aren't gonna be worth national attention this year! Oh yeah I'm sorry about the sexual assualt thing it was just before they played in a bowl game! Did they win? OPPS they lost!

Reerun_KC
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM

I could give a rats A$$ about the OU football program or anything concerning it... You play, you pay.

And yes stop whining, There is no crying in football.

Skyy God
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM

I'd like this to be true, but I think Bomar's absence will be huge. With inexperienced Paul Thompson (or the Juco transfer), defenses will be able play 8-9 up in the box to stop AP. This will translate into 1-2 more loses, easy.

oldandslow
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM

I completed my graduate work at OU...folks down there tell me that "Big Red Car Sales" is the culprit and that this may be the tip of the iceburg. Stoops is simply performing damage control...

NCAA is going to love this....

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
completed my graduate work at OU...folks down there tell me that "Big Red Car Sales" is the culprit and that this may be the tip of the iceburg. Stoops is simply performing damage control...

skky man
08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I completed my graduate work at OU...folks down there tell me that "Big Red Car Sales" is the culprit and that this may be the tip of the iceburg. Stoops is simply performing damage control...

NCAA is going to love this.. Well I wouldn't get my hopes up cuz this is big money to the NCAA and trust me they want the money to keep rolling in from there elite programs

58-4ever
08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
It was Bomar and an offensive lineman. This really sucks. We had a really good juco kid transfer to Utah last year named Grady. It would be sweet to have him back this year.

By the way... the business' name was Big Red Sports & Imports. Apparently they are under different ownership now. The guys who used to own it were named the McRed brothers. They were notorious coke-heads. I hope they die in a fiery automobile crash. :mad:

hawkchief
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2824545/

Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops says he's dismissing two players from the Sooner football team.

Story continues below advertisement

A news release from OU does not name the players, but News 9 sports director Dean Blevins says one player is starting quarterback Rhett Bomar.

The release says an investigation by the university found the two players were paid to work at a private business and were paid for hours they didn't work.

OU said the two are being permanently dismissed and will not be allowed to return to the team at any time.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione says he's disappointed in the athletes and university President David Boren says he believes Stoops is doing the right thing and he strongly supports the coach.

ATopic posted by one of Tyree Evans' and Bob huggins biggest fans.

The irony!

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
ATopic posted by one of Tyree Evans' and Bob huggins biggest fans.

The irony!
Lack of institutional control.

hawkchief
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Lack of institutional control.

I'll take it over lack of ethical control.

Frankie
08-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Do these guys have any pro potential?

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I'll take it over lack of ethical control.
I think you guys fit that bill, too.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Do these guys have any pro potential?
ROFL

Awesome, Frankie.

BigChiefFan
08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Bomar wasn't going to carry the team anyway. The Sooners running game and defense should still be good enough to knock some teams around. It's funny to see some counting the Sooners out before they've even played a game.

skky man
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Bomar wasn't going to carry the team anyway. The Sooners running game and defense should still be good enough to knock some teams around. It's funny to see some counting the Sooners out before they've even played a game.

Big Dick Jones
08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I think you guys fit that bill, too.
So we all agree Zero U and KSUck are cheating thugs. Oh, and, Shut up, William you little weasel.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
So we all agree Zero U and KSUck are cheating thugs. Oh, and, Shut up, William you little weasel.

Well, well, look what the schooner drug in. Big Puss Jones. How's the Webtv?

Dartgod
08-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Blah blah blah cuz blah blah blah blah blah blah cuz blah blah cuz blah blah blah blah blah blah cuz blah blah cuz blah blah blah blah blah blah cuz blah blah cuz blah blah blah blah blah blah cuz blah blah cuz blah blah blah blah blah blah...
You got your education at OU, didn't you?

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
completed my graduate work at OU...folks down there tell me that "Big Red Car Sales" is the culprit and that this may be the tip of the iceburg. Stoops is simply performing damage control...

you can't figure out the "quote" thing, can you?

it's ok...baby steps...

58-4ever
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Bomar would not have carried this team, but you cannot deny that he progressed a whole lot at the end of the year. It looks like another year of Adrian Peterson getting pounded.

At least they will still be much better than ANY team in the north.

buddha
08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
"My guess is that OU still has enough talent to win any team from the big 12 north."

OU could "win" any team from the Big 12 North?

Do they really teach English down in red soil land? :)

Coach
08-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Hey pal, remember 2003? Man, that so-called "The greatest college football team" got smoked by K-State. And I mean smoked.

OU shouldn't have been in the National Title that year.

And I question how many of those Conference and National titles were actually won fair and square.

58-4ever
08-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey pal, remember 2003? Man, that so-called "The greatest college football team" got smoked by K-State. And I mean smoked.

OU shouldn't have been in the National Title that year.

And I question how many of those Conference and National titles were actually won fair and square.

Give me a break. :deevee:

58-4ever
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
It's not like Bomar was an All-American to begin with, but we're left with this.

Sooners' QB depth chart
Oklahoma Sooners
With Rhett Bomar kicked off the team, the Sooners' depth chart at quarterback looks like this:

Joey Halzle: From Huntington Beach, Calif. Transferred from Golden West CC where he threw for 2,077 yards and 13 TDs in 10 games.

Paul Thompson: Began the 2005 season as the starting QB, but was later moved to WR. Could potentially be moved back under center where he was just 11-26 for 109 yards and an INT last year. In his career, he is 42-73, 428 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INT.

Sam Bradford: True freshman from Oklahoma City. Top 20 QB recruit last year.

Hays McEachern: Walk-on.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 08:05 PM
We should have seen this coming:

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I thought his uniform was different:

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
The new helmet.

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Oklahoma came to Lincoln a year too early :banghead:

I don't have any sympathy for Bomar. He's had problems in the past. He made a deal with the devil and got burned.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
/

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
This sums it up:

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Here's another from the salesman angle:

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
This one is based off a movie that's coming out this fall

Al Bundy
08-02-2006, 08:49 PM

The bad thing about it for you is that your guys got caught cheating. I hope if they find out Stoopes knew more about this than he is letting on that they drop the hammer on the "proud Sooner football program". By that I mean... SMU style.

Bugeater
08-02-2006, 08:53 PM
FYI: The other player suspended was OL JD Quinn.

JD Quinn and Rhett Bomar accepted $$$ for doing jobs they never did from Big Red Sports & Imports, the same place that "leased" a Lexus to Adrian Peterson.
ROFL
GO BIG RED!!!

Frazod
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Florida State will probably take him, but only if he shoots somebody. :bang:

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
From what I've read this all started after Bomar filed his tax return and reported 18k in income from this dealership.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
ROFL

Bugeater
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
From what I've read this all started after Bomar filed his tax return and reported 18k in income from this dealership.
That's what I heard as well, which means it must be money he made in 2005. Now wouldn't that mean he would have been ineligible for the 2005 season as well? This could get ugly.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I love hornfans.com\

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
If OU had to forfeit some games from last year, which I highly doubt would happen, I can see Kansas State flying a banner for their mythical victory.

Bugeater
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
If OU had to forfeit some games from last year, which I highly doubt would happen, I can see Kansas State flying a banner for their mythical victory.
:hmmm: Funny, but K-State fans could say the same about Nebraska.

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
:hmmm: Funny, but K-State fans could say the same about Nebraska.

Let them say what they want. It's so easy for us Husker fans to argue with KSU fans. Besides, we have beaten OU.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Why would KSU do that? They've got a banner in 03 for that.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Let them say what they want. It's so easy for us Husker fans to argument with KSU fans. Besides, we have beaten OU.

Yea, that to argument stuff is fun.

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Why would KSU do that? They've got a banner in 03 for that.

It would be no different compared to how they made a big deal out of beating mediocre Nebraska teams.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
It would be no different compared to how they made a big deal out of beating mediocre Nebraska teams.

Kinda like how Nebraska fans make a big deal out of beating a poor Michigan squad?

You see how this works?

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Kinda like how Nebraska fans make a big deal out of beating a poor Michigan squad?

You see how this works?

That Michigan team was still more talented than Nebraska, and they had us down by 11. I don't think we need to revisit this.

WilliamTheIrish
08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
That Michigan team was still more talented than Nebraska, and they had us down by 11. I don't think we need to revisit this.

Which shows just how poor a team they were. Right?

Sam Hall
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Which shows just how poor a team they were. Right?

You know what I meant. Go ahead and continue discrediting our progress. None of the other teams around here are doing any better.

WilliamTheIrish
08-03-2006, 11:40 AM
You know what I meant. Go ahead and continue discrediting our progress. None of the other teams around here are doing any better.

I wasn't discrediting anything, you bonehead. You do remember this post?

It would be no different compared to how they (KSU) made a big deal out of beating mediocre Nebraska teams.

Do you see how it works? Yet? "N" is knowledge.

Frankie
08-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Florida State will probably take him, but only if he shoots somebody. :bang:
ROFL

LiL stumppy
08-03-2006, 02:00 PM
There gos our damn season.Paul Thomson cant throw a football.New starting QB.A juco transfor.Not good.