PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Sims: Motivated and Determined

Hammock Parties
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
By I. P. Freeley.

As the sixth pick overall pick in the 2002 draft, Ryan Sims was destined for NFL stardom. Four turbulent seasons later, Sims has accomplished little. By his own admission, he’s had bad luck with injuries, and he knows he’s not lived up to the expectations of a first-round draft pick.

The only thing Sims can do now is go out and prove he was worth that pick. He’s ready to stand tall in the middle of Kansas City’s defense.

“It’s my year,” said Sims. “This is year five, and I expected greater things by now. Hopefully this year I can put everything together and go out and make plays.”

Sims understands that the heat is on. To his credit, he responded a year ago and had the best training camp of any defensive player on the roster. But his season was cut short when he injured his foot in the season opener against the New York Jets.

That made everyone wonder if he was injury prone or just unlucky. Despite the setback, he never quit on the season as his teammates continued without him. He worked his tail off and managed to get back on the field in December and contribute.

Now he has a new defensive line coach in Tim Krumrie, who pushes him during every practice. Not just physically, but mentally, according to Sims. Chiefs’ Head Coach Herman Edwards has been pushing his star defensive tackle, too.

As the off-season began, Edwards knew that Sims was a key performer for his new team. So he made a point of it to spend some time with him before training camp.

“We had a good talk before the spring ended,” Edwards said. “We were talking about what I expected out of him and how we were going to get it done. He’s done a great job of playing. He’s competing and is playing up to his talent level consistently.”

In the past, the knock on Sims was that he was lazy. He had trouble keeping his weight under control. But Edwards’ isn’t concerned with the past. He’s satisfied with what he sees out of Sims so far.

“All I know is what I see right now,” said Edwards. “That’s all I can judge. He’s done everything he can do to come and be in shape in camp and compete and go hard.”

That’s exactly what Sims has done in River Falls. He’s gotten after it and is showing flashes of being a dominant interior lineman. As is true with Lional Dalton, Sims is doing some of the same things in practice that lead many to believe he might have turned the corner.

His first step is much quicker and he’s using his hands to knock down passes. He’s adept at clogging the running lanes, but Sims’ best attribute is shooting the gaps and putting pressure on the offensive backfield.

If he can do that consistently, it will make a huge difference in Kansas City’s defense. The Chiefs don’t care if he’s blowing up a run or changing the direction of a pass. If he can be a disrupter in the backfield, the defense will be much more balanced than it was a year ago.

Media and fans alike have labeled Sims as a bust, but he’s not ready to accept that fate. He knows he has not reached his potential, and he feels unfinished.

“I am not pleased,” said Sims. “You have to be your own hardest critic. I’m very motivated. I want a ring.”

And if the Chiefs do get that ring, it will be because the interior defensive line stepped up. And if that happens, that means Sims did his job in 2006.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Seems like the same old shit we hear about Sims every training camp. Anyone think that this is the year, finally?

MGRS13
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Once again, if he is motivated it's only because he's in a contract year.

Eleazar
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Nice nom de plume...

BigRedChief
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Seems like the same old shit we hear about Sims every training camp. Anyone think that this is the year, finally?

Yeah every year its the same article.

milkman
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Once again, if he is motivated it's only because he's in a contract year.

This has been covered already.
He's not in a contract year.

Chiefs | Sims Agrees to Terms - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
15:02 PT: ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a contract with rookie DT Ryan Sims, the team's first-round draft choice. Sims will sign a seven-year deal that will void to six-years if he reaches certain predetermined benchmarks. The total value of the deal is not available, but he'll receive nearly $10 million in a combined signing bonus and second-level bonus next spring.

Next year could possibly be his contract year.

Bob Dole
08-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Coach Herman Edwards has been pushing his star defensive tackle...

Bob Dole thought this article was about Sims.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I have it on good authority that things will be different this year. Krumrie is apparently the missing piece in getting Sims to play up to his potential.

This was a good read.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Like you said in the other thread, the new assistant coaches are bringing an attention to detail that was completely missing during practices under Vermeil.

Demonpenz
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
You figure if he just gets after the ball on every play he would make a play somewhere somehow. I remember jarrod allen sprinting 20 yards after a screen pass and causing a fumble. Man you have the talent to hustle and good things will happen.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Bob Dole thought this article was about Sims.

Herm is pushing his star DT... the one he brought from Jets... Reed

BigRedChief
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I have it on good authority that things will be different this year. Krumrie is apparently the missing piece in getting Sims to play up to his potential.

This was a good read.

Wheres your documentation and blood oathes? :)

I sure hope this is true. If he can get that push up the middle and stuff the run Law and Surtain do their thing and they turn loose DJ and Bell to blitz.....We just may have a defense this year.

MOhillbilly
08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
i like this Ring talk im hearing.

Demonpenz
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I like DJ blitzing twice a game....maybe. Other than that he gets stoned because he isn't a pass rusher.

el borracho
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
If he stays healthy I will maintain high hopes and expectations for Sims. If he gets injured again I wouldn't know what to think. Sucks to think that our highest priority next year may again be Dline.

I guess everyone (including me) has given up on Siavii. Never even mentioned except to tell us his knees are still bad. What a shame.

Inspector
08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
That I.P. Freeley is a heck of a writer. Good stuff.

Donger
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
"But Edwards’ isn’t concerned with the past."

Edwards' what isn't concerned with the past?

Hammock Parties
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Damn you, Donger.

Moooo
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM

It'll be like Drew Brees.

The year before his contract season he took off, and never looked back...

:)

Moooo

Donger
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Damn you, Donger.

ROFL

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Mr. Freely must read the UWRF site, because I swear I read the same thing from Herm's PC on there. That's a Premium rehash...simply priceless.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
This was a free article, actually.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
$89.95

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I Pee Frequently is a more better riter than thouse WPI haks...

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
This was a free article, actually.

'article'....*snicker*

I really appreciate Mr. Freely's news on Sims being motivated. It's truly an inspiring piece and Im glad, for a change, that Sims is motivated as opposed to the previous pre-seasons when he wasnt motivated.

BigChiefFan
08-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Besides Junior it sounds like our entire D-line is fired up and I wouldn't expect any less with Krumrie coaching them. The D-line will know accountability or they won't play, Sims included.

Mile High Mania
08-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Sims apparently adheres to the Peterson Doctrine for Five Year Plans...

buddha
08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
When will you guys learn? A position coach can't get Ryan Sims to play. A d-coordinator can't do it either. As others have said, we've heard this spew before from Ryan...what's different this time around? He will get your hopes up and then stand straight up when the ball is hiked and do nothing.