PDA

View Full Version : It is what it is

MahiMike
08-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Well, another season is upon us and the teams are pretty much set in stone now. You can go down the line and see changes - good or bad - on every team. Chargers lose Brees. Doncos gain Walker. Faiders have to play w/Aaron Brooks.ha! Jags lose Jimmy Smith. Colts lose Edge. Bungals keep showing up on police reports. TO goes to Dallas. Bad for Dallas or Philly? We'll see.

We've lost; Willie, Priest, Tony R, DV and Al. Now both Tony G and Eddie K are looking for new contracts. That's a lot of firepower lost on the offensive side. The defense continues to be bolstered by big signings and even the offensive side signed a very good backup in Bennett.

How will the Chiefs do in '06? I dunno. My guess before Willie retired was 11-5. Depending on how "Marty-like" Herm actually coaches will determine the true outcome of this team. I just hope for our sakes he makes Carl (and us) proud (and that Tynes stays healthy for those last second field goals).

In the end, I'll put my faith in Trent Green and the boys and hope they can overcome Herm's coaching to get us to the playoffs. Once there, with the additions to the defense I think we actually have a shot this time.

I'll save this post for review in late December.

Go Chiefs!!!

MOhillbilly
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
im starting to believe the loss of roaf,welbourne,t-rich & holmes isnt as big a deal as the supposed front office officials and columnists are making it out to be.

the D is saying things and giving off an attitude never heard in the vermiel era, and while those key losses on O hurt we can and will have a balanced attack on O.

Good QB play,run game, a solid interior line, speaks volumes.

and to be honest i like this team better than any of the vermiel teams.
its more balanced w/ talent on D and still loads of talent on O.

TinyEvel
08-03-2006, 09:25 AM
im starting to believe the loss of roaf,welbourne,t-rich & holmes isnt as big a deal as the supposed front office officials and columnists are making it out to be.

the D is saying things and giving off an attitude never heard in the vermiel era, and while those key losses on O hurt we can and will have a balanced attack on O.

Good QB play,run game, a solid interior line, speaks volumes.

and to be honest i like this team better than any of the vermiel teams.
its more balanced w/ talent on D and still loads of talent on O.

I'm thinking (and hoping) you're right about our D. If they can wrap guys and finish a frickin' tackle we'd have a significant improvement right there. Every time I see the Tiki Barber Highlight on NFL network I want to puke in my beer. How many guys touched him on his way to the endzone? 8? 10? It's like they all had grease on their forearms. And that wasn't the first time. For a while it looked ike Warfield's job was to follow guys into the endzone.

Whew. Enough rant. Time to move on. '06!

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I agree with MO. I think our defense will improve and LJ will more than bridge the gap between Jesus and Martyball...

Archie Bunker
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
This is the most well-rounded and talented Chiefs teams that I can remember. I think the D will be in the top 10 and the offense will still be just as dangerous. I believe this is a Super Bowl caliber team without question.

Its gonna be a damn fun ride.

Cormac
08-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I think the biggest change in our team coming into this year will be the coaching staff and how well they do. I expect our D to come on in leaps and bounds because of them, but I am afraid our O will really slip. Part of that is due to the players we've lost, part is the Martyball-esque rumblings coming out of TC.

Our biggest reason for hope will probably be improvement from within. As much as we want to believe that draftees and FAs will push us over the top, it's improving players (like Kawika Mitchell last year) that have the biggest impact, IMO. Hopefully this year DJ will follow suit, Fox will stay healthy and get a chance to show us what he's got, and Bell and even Sims will justify their enormous reputations. The only problem is I don't see much room for improvement on the O side of the ball. We still have Green, Johnson, Waters and Gonzo, but the upside of Samie Parker and Bigfoot is way more than cancelled out by the losses of Roaf, Holmes, Richardson et al., and the advancing age of our remaining starters.

At the end of the day, I think we'll be very competitive again, but it will be game by game throughout the season to see if we can make the playoffs, let alone advance. I'm very sceptical about whether Herm can actually make us better in W-L terms.

sedated
08-03-2006, 10:09 AM
we have a lot of potential, but it will all ride on the shoulders of the coaching staff (and injuries, of course)

The only major problem with the offensive transition is the WR's. Running teams usually want big, possession recievers with great hands. But we have speed guys with questionable hands.

Other than that, it will just be sad to say goodbye to the power offense we were used to.

As for the defense, it all starts up front. Which is troubling, and the reason we will not have a top 10 defense.

Ty Law will drop off a little this year, and will be moved to FS by next year at the latest.

But the defense will pick it up when the offesnse is down and vice versa, the coaching staff will make the difference, and with our weaker schedule, we will get what we should have had last year, an 11-5 record and playoffs baby