PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody posted this before? I couldn't find anything...

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Apparently Carl contacted Willie Roaf's agent and told him they wanted to honor Willie in typical Chiefs fashion - halftime show, tickertape parade, all-you-can eat Gates - and send him off in a way befitting of a future Hall of Famer.

Roaf's response was "no thanks".

MOhillbilly
08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Grapevine or what?

KCTitus
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Someone posted something similar on another thread, but I dont remember which one. Carl spoke to the agent about a official press conference and halftime honoring and the agent said Roaf wasnt ready for that.

A bit different than your version.

ZepSinger
08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Apparently Carl contacted Willie Roaf's agent and told him they wanted to honor Willie in typical Chiefs fashion - halftime show, tickertape parade, all-you-can eat Gates - and send him off in a way befitting of a future Hall of Famer.

Roaf's response was "no thanks".

I heard that on Neal and Marty last night on 610. Marty definately is at least having his doubts about "Roaf's , um, 'retirement' " (exact quote)

Z

Baby Lee
08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Yesterday at 03:42 PM (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3339247)
Are you sure about that? I thought it was mandatory.

Something else Carl said this morning I found quite interesting. He told Roaf's agent that if Roaf was indeed retiring that the Chief's organization wanted to have an official press conference and honor him in a game. Possibly the season opener. I guess his agent told him that Roaf wasn't ready to do that at this time. Take if for what it's worth.

I think Roaf will be starting day 1.

OnTheWarpath15
08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
You can see for yourself exactly what CP said about Roaf....

His comments were in the "Carl Peterson on Michael Bennett" video on www.kcchiefs.com

InChiefsHeaven
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Really? Was this from a Carl interview or something? If true, that sucks...

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Someone posted something similar on another thread, but I dont remember which one. Carl spoke to the agent about a official press conference and halftime honoring and the agent said Roaf wasnt ready for that.

A bit different than your version.

Of course, the Gates part was embellishment, but the core is the same.

Carl wanted to honor the new retiree and Roaf's response was indicative of someone who's not retired.

MOhillbilly
08-03-2006, 10:06 AM
i hope this doesnt go on all season.

This and the comments about bodies being shot before the first game leads us to believe he(and/or welbourne) may come back.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Petro this morning said that Roaf's agent was at camp....clearly something is being discussed

MVChiefFan
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I think Carl's trying to "call his bluff". Trying to rush a big retirement party to push his decision. Kind of like when your kid threatens to run away and you go help him/her pack.

alanm
08-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Petro this morning said that Roaf's agent was at camp....clearly something is being discussed
I get the feeling that this is a twisted cry for more money and he wants to take it easy for camp. I supposed he's earned it.

Nzoner
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
There's national speculation that Roaf is coming back as well,I posted this on some other thread but here it is again for any who missed it.

Allow me to spew forth the take I just heard on Sirius NFL radio on my way home. I can never remember these guy's names,Tim Ryan and Adam Schien maybe. After the reports about Roaf's retirement came in, these two (who are usually pretty solid in the opinion game) took a few calls and basically laughed the scenario off. They seem to think that Edwards' talk of running the ball and then running the ball some more have forced the vet's hand, i.e. Roaf doesn't need to spend a month doing nothing but blocking drills. The network guys seem to think that this is just a ploy by a savvy veteran to avoid a strenuous camp. They're of the mind that Roaf can simply change his mind a week before the season, and step in like he was never gone. A "retirement" scenario also frees the Chiefs' organization from the embarrassing move of having to fine Roaf $14,000 per missed day of camp. Ideally, everybody wins. Again, this isn't meant to be taken as my opinion (though I agree with it), it's simply representative of what I heard on the radio.

HMc
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I dont want to appear radical but it's also possible that he just doesn' t want to be honoured in such a fashion.

redbrian
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
The key is he has not submitted his papers to the leauge, until he does he can still play.

StcChief
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Hope he feels better and comes back after TC....

but for now lets let the Camp guys (Turley,Svitek,(Black)) bust ass as if they will be LT on opening day.

KCTitus
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Of course, the Gates part was embellishment, but the core is the same.

Carl wanted to honor the new retiree and Roaf's response was indicative of someone who's not retired.

Well...your version of Roaf's response I read a bit different than 'maybe we should wait' to 'No, I dont want anything from the organization'.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that the door is still open and Roaf is not retired until the papers are filed.

sedated
08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Is retirement really necessary?

Couldn't we all skip the mind games and just have Carl excuse Roaf from camp?

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I get the feeling that this is a twisted cry for more money and he wants to take it easy for camp. I supposed he's earned it.

Before the NFLPA pulled our ability to look at player salaries, it was pretty clear that Roaf re-did his contract this offseason. I can't imagine he's crying about wanting more money when he just got more money...

Nzoner
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
but for now lets let the Camp guys (Turley,Svitek,(Black)) bust ass as if they will be LT on opening day.

Maybe the pessimist in me but without this thing being resolved I have to wonder if that's good for those guys i.e. eh Willie's probably coming back so no need to give it 100%

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Well...your version of Roaf's response I read a bit different than 'maybe we should wait' to 'No, I dont want anything from the organization'.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that the door is still open and Roaf is not retired until the papers are filed.

Yeah, now that I go back and read it, I see your point. Bad wording on my part.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Q: Have you yet heard from Willie Roaf?

PETERSON: “I’ve heard from Willie Roaf through his agent, and frankly will be meeting with his agent this week. At this particular time we have not put Willie Roaf on reserve/retired. I’m not going to do that. I’ve indicated that before. We want to give Willie a lot of time to think about this decision. People do change their minds and if he doesn’t and we go into the regular season – and actually we can go to the 10th regular season game before having to do anything.

“I have told his agent that if we are going to do this we’re going to do it right. I want to have a full press conference for him. He’s been a marvelous player for the Chiefs. He deserves that – a great player in the National Football League. We want to honor him at a game. His agent indicated to me that Willie’s not ready to do that. So, we’ll see what transpires over the next couple of weeks.”

Q: Are you holding out hope?

PETERSON: “If I didn’t think there was a chance of him coming back we would put him on reserved/retired. But we’re not going to put him there because the door is still open and people do change their minds. He was adamant at the end of last season that he was coming back and, frankly, he was very, very forceful with me in making sure that Will Shields did not retire. So, this has been a pretty large reversal, so we want him to have a good chance to reconsider, change his mind and make sure it’s not just an emotional decision. Consequently, we will keep the door open for some time.”

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
The more this goes on, the more I think Carl, Herm, and Willie have orchestrated this "retirement" to get Willie out of camp without the PR nightmare and fines associated with a holdout...

Nzoner
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
The more this goes on, the more I think Carl, Herm, and Willie have orchestrated this "retirement" to get Willie out of camp without the PR nightmare and fines associated with a holdout...

So overall you agree with the Sirius guys as well?

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
So overall you agree with the Sirius guys as well?

I think so...

Inspector
08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I think so...

Man....
I hope you're right.

It does sort of seem that way when you look at all the evidence.

It's also hard to type keeping your figers crossed all the time.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
This is one great big drama kingdom, and Carl is the queen.

pr_capone
08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
This is one great big drama kingdom, and Carl is the queen.
ROFL

kc rush
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Is retirement really necessary?

Couldn't we all skip the mind games and just have Carl excuse Roaf from camp?

They probably don't want to set a precedence of entitlement. Everyone knows that pro-bowl veteran players can push the boundaries (probably deservedly), but if you get a character who thinks that they are more important than they really are chirping because they feel they should get the same treatment it could hurt the locker room.

ChiTown
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM

oh lawd! Are you serious?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
They probably don't want to set a precedence of entitlement. Everyone knows that pro-bowl veteran players can push the boundaries (probably deservedly), but if you get a character who thinks that they are more important than they really are chirping because they feel they should get the same treatment it could hurt the locker room.

That, IMO, is why Roaf isn't returning his fellow players' calls. Another reason is because he doesn't want them spillin' it to the press.

I think he'll be starting opening day, as well.

Demonpenz
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM
why would we do that he is going into the HOF as a saint

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM

Exactly.

Retirement is a win-win for everybody. The front office doesn't have to fine Willie, but they also don't look like they're walking on eggshells for him. And Willie gets to skip camp.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
If Willie really IS skipping camp, how is it going to affect him? He needs to stay in shape.

What happened with Walter Jones last year?

ChiTown
08-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Exactly.

Retirement is a win-win for everybody. The front office doesn't have to fine Willie, but they also don't look like they're walking on eggshells for him. And Willie gets to skip camp.

I don't know, that's one helluva a stretch. That said, I hope you're right.

Nzoner
08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I think so...

I realize that it was a dumb question but I had to reference the comments that Adam Schein made from Sirius NFL.Every since I've had Sirius I love listening to his show,he has some great takes and seems to know the league really well.

InChiefsHeaven
08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
If this really is the case, one would think that he would have at least told Shields...which I guess he might have and Will is just playing along...probably wishes he would have thought of it...

CHENZ A!
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
If this is a big conspiracy to keep him out of camp, then Roaf is also one hell of an actor, because he sure sounded like a guy that didn't want to play anymore when he was on Kietzman's show a few days ago.

TinyEvel
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
So, should Carl call Priest's agent and offer to throw a "get well" party?