PDA

View Full Version : Willie Roaf not done yet...

TRR
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Listening to the NFL channel on the radio, and they said that Carl Peterson contacted Roaf's agent to set up a fairwell game for Roaf's retirement...Retiring his jersey, making him the honorary guest, etc...And according to the NFL radio station, Roaf basically contacted his agent back and said let's not rush into this just yet.

FWIW...Sorry if this is a repost.

Chan93lx50
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm, very interesting

Bootlegged
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Roaf is now demanding a trade back to New Orleans.

TRR
08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
They basically said that Roaf is going to take most of the summer off, and see how he feels.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Roaf is now demanding a trade back to New Orleans.
You're kidding.....right?

Cormac
The longer these rumours persist, the more likely it is that he'll come back, IMO. That would make an enormous difference to our chances, IMO. We could groom Black as a Guard, let Svitek have another year, and let Turley and Sampson fight it out at RT. I doubt Roaf would have all 16 games in him this year anyway, but if not, we have Turley to roll back to LT.

JimNasium
Listening to the NFL channel on the radio, and they said that Carl Peterson contacted Roaf's agent to set up a fairwell game for Roaf's retirement...Retiring his jersey, making him the honorary guest, etc...And according to the NFL radio station, Roaf basically contacted his agent back and said let's not rush into this just yet.

FWIW...Sorry if this is a repost.I don't care what you say about Carl, he's an excellent poker player. I love the way he forced Willie's hand.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
WILLIE ROAF
WILL PLAY FOOTBALL FOR
THE CHIEFS ON OPENING DAY!

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
WILLIE ROAF
WILL PLAY FOOTBALL FOR

So, just to be clear your saying it's possible he might play?

teedubya
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah Hog Farmer had a spider name Charlotte spin a web for him, that said "Big Willie Dont Retire" and apparently its working.

King_Chief_Fan
08-03-2006, 10:37 AM
WILLIE ROAF
WILL PLAY FOOTBALL FOR

What the heck are you trying to say?

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
For what it's worth my empathic abilities are telling me that Big Willie will play this season for KC. Please see my previous post on this subject. I am a genius and have an evolved gene that has given me these powers. If anyone wants to give me their money by placing a bet please PM me and I will be glad to take your hard earned cash.

In other future news. Elvis Grbac will stay retired.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Q: Have you yet heard from Willie Roaf?

PETERSON: “I’ve heard from Willie Roaf through his agent, and frankly will be meeting with his agent this week. At this particular time we have not put Willie Roaf on reserve/retired. I’m not going to do that. I’ve indicated that before. We want to give Willie a lot of time to think about this decision. People do change their minds and if he doesn’t and we go into the regular season – and actually we can go to the 10th regular season game before having to do anything.

“I have told his agent that if we are going to do this we’re going to do it right. I want to have a full press conference for him. He’s been a marvelous player for the Chiefs. He deserves that – a great player in the National Football League. We want to honor him at a game. His agent indicated to me that Willie’s not ready to do that. So, we’ll see what transpires over the next couple of weeks.”

Q: Are you holding out hope?

PETERSON: “If I didn’t think there was a chance of him coming back we would put him on reserved/retired. But we’re not going to put him there because the door is still open and people do change their minds. He was adamant at the end of last season that he was coming back and, frankly, he was very, very forceful with me in making sure that Will Shields did not retire. So, this has been a pretty large reversal, so we want him to have a good chance to reconsider, change his mind and make sure it’s not just an emotional decision. Consequently, we will keep the door open for some time.”

vailpass
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
You boys are a little nervous out there in Chief land these days huh?
Not quite sold on the idea that Turley's back can support all the extra weight when 8 weeks ago he wanted to play TE?
My 2cents worth: Big Willie is not done yet.

StcChief
08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
For what it's worth my empathic abilities are telling me that Big Willie will play this season for KC. Please see my previous post on this subject. I am a genius and have an evolved gene that has given me these powers. If anyone wants to give me their money by placing a bet please PM me and I will be glad to take your hard earned cash.

Hope your right about Wille Roaf and Elvis Gaybac.
If not Opening day by October for Willie.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Not quite sold on the idea that Turley's back can support all the extra weight when 8 weeks ago he wanted to play TE?
Any time that you loose (CPS) a Pro-bowler you get nervous. Replacing him with a guy who hasn't played in two years simply adds to that nervousness.

morphius
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not overly nervous yet, I wait until after a few preseason games for that.

jspchief
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Retiring his jersey? WTF?

With all due respect to his contribution, I'm not sure he was "retired jersey" good.

ct
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm nervously optimistic. As always...

vailpass
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Any time that you loose (CPS) a Pro-bowler you get nervous. Replacing him with a guy who hasn't played in two years simply adds to that nervousness.
Understood. I would be the same way. Still, this doesn't feel like an official retirement. Whatever it is Roaf has a strange way of going about it.

I'm not overly nervous yet, I wait until after a few preseason games for that.
Try having Brian Griese as your QB. You can get a BIG head start on nervous.

ct
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM

With all due respect to his contribution, I'm not sure he was "retired jersey" good.

HoF not good enough for ya?

ct
08-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Try having Jake Plummer as your QB. You can get a BIG head start on nervous.

Fixed your post.

vailpass
HoF not good enough for ya?
The bulk of that was with another team. I can see N.O. retiring his jersey before KC.

htismaqe

Nervous? ROFL

I've said I'd be perfectly fine with Will Svitek. Having a former pro-bowler like Turley is just extra gravy.

vailpass
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Fixed your post.

Have I told you to **** off lately? :)
I'm cool with Plummer; Shanny knows how to coach him. Denver was a solid defensive performance away from the SB with Jake last year.

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM

I think Carl might have just been calling his bluff.

King_Chief_Fan
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM

and to the Donks dismay, so will Elway

jspchief
08-03-2006, 11:03 AM
HoF not good enough for ya?He played 4 seasons for us. Retiring a player's jersey is a lot bigger than a 4 year pit stop from a hall of famer. I'd be suprised if Shields even had his number retired.

Like htismaqe said, it's probably just an attempt to call Roaf's bluff, but that's a pretty big wager to do it with. I can't help but wonder what would transpire if Roaf does actually retire.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
He played 4 seasons for us. Retiring a player's jersey is a lot bigger than a 4 year pit stop from a hall of famer. I'd be suprised if Shields even had his number retired.

Like htismaqe said, it's probably just an attempt to call Roaf's bluff, but that's a pretty big wager to do it with. I can't help but wonder what would transpire if Roaf does actually retire.
Obviously I'm confused. I hadn't seen mention of retiring the jersey. Carl simply said something about recognizing him at a game. What gives?

Hammock Parties
08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
This is like Rudy.

Right now Willie is pissed as hell! He's ignoring his friends and quitting the football team.

But he feels that fire inside.

This will all end with Willie walking back onto the practice field and his teammates sloooowly clapping, building to a crescendo!

Then Herm will bench him for the year until the AFC Championship game. The crowd will start chanting WILLIE! WILLIE! WILLIE! WILLIE! and eventually Herm will be forced to put Willie in.

Then this will happen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=poxwXDFuajA&search=rudy

chiefqueen
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
WILLIE ROAF
WILL PLAY FOOTBALL FOR

How many times must Planeteers write this?

jspchief
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Obviously I'm confused. I hadn't seen mention of retiring the jersey. Carl simply said something about recognizing him at a game. What gives?Read the thread starter.

Maybe TRR is wrong about that part.

JimNasium
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Read the thread starter.

Maybe TRR is wrong about that part.That doesn't matchup with what Carl said in the interview.

tk13
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Carl is pretty slick. I have to admit that's pretty clever if true.

"Ohhh, YOU'RE retiring... surrre.... well then buddy, let's just retire your number! Ohhh, not yet, huh?" :)

Calcountry
08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't care what you say about Carl, he's an excellent poker player. I love the way he forced Willie's hand.Yep, lets just hope that Willie doesn't have pocket aces.

jspchief
08-03-2006, 12:34 PM
That doesn't matchup with what Carl said in the interview.I didn't hear the interview, I was just going off the report in the thread starter.

Carlota69
08-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Wow dude, you are a genius! Did you stay at a Holiday Inn recently?

DJay23
08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I'd be suprised if Shields even had his number retired.

You're not serious about this are you? He's only been one of the most consistently great guards in the game for, what, the last 13 years?

Calcountry
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow dude, you are a genius! Did you stay at a Holiday Inn recently?Nice try, but you blew the joke by not getting the right property.

Carlota69
08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Nice try, but you blew the joke by not getting the right property.
Nice. What is the right property? I racked my brain for a minute, but couldn't remember. I dont watch alot of commercials, they kill too many brain cells.. :)

Garcia Bronco
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
He's so going to play...LOL...retire his jersey...for what?

The Red Sea
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Old News!

Didnt you See boogblasters latest thread??

In it he told us all....

WILLIE WILL BE BACK TO THE SIDELINES BY MIDDLE OR FIRST OF PRE SEASON YES HE WILL ROLL OVER ANYONE IN FROUNT OF HIM

So thx for the info but Boogerblaster always is one step ahead of all of us.

Booger also said the Chiefs are winning the SUPA BOWL this yr so I bet my house on it already in Vegas!

=P

HemiEd
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Nice. What is the right property? I racked my brain for a minute, but couldn't remember. I dont watch alot of commercials, they kill too many brain cells.. :)

Holiday Inn Express.

Fish
08-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't care what you say about Carl, he's an excellent poker player. I love the way he forced Willie's hand.

I agree.... I have to say I think Carl has handled this offseason about as well as anybody could have. I'll stop short of sayin I gained a little respect for him......

I think this whole retirement party farewell game crap has much more to do with putting pressure on Roaf than it does with celebrating his time with the Chiefs. He already said he wants to retire as a Saint, so there's really no other reason for Carl to do this other than to pressure Roaf.

Carlota69
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Holiday Inn Express.

Ok, I was close...

jspchief
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
You're not serious about this are you? He's only been one of the most consistently great guards in the game for, what, the last 13 years?Teams don't retire jerseys very often. Not even for very good players that play their entire long pro bowl career for that one team. That's an honor that they used to hand out more freely, but is now a rare accolade.

Once that number is retired, it's gone forever. I'm sure you can imagine what begins to happen once teams start retiring every ring of fame caliber player's jersey. Pretty soon there's not enough numbers to go around.

It's not a matter of judging Shields' career, it's a matter of realizing how rare it is these days.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Didn't the Chiefs retire Tim Grunhard's number?

jspchief
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Didn't the Chiefs retire Tim Grunhard's number?No.

Derrick Thomas is the only retired number that since those early 70s teams. Joe Delaney isn't retired but no one has ever worn his jersey since.

StcChief
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
SB / AFC Champ long term players yes. but still exceptional guys.

NJ Chief Fan
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
No Shit!

ExtremeChief
08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
No.

Derrick Thomas is the only retired number that since those early 70s teams. Joe Delaney isn't retired but no one has ever worn his jersey since.

Are you sure about Delaney??? He's in the ring of fame now. I thought his jersey was retired as well.

jspchief
08-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Are you sure about Delaney??? He's in the ring of fame now. I thought his jersey was retired as well.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/

ExtremeChief
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/

:thumb:

thanks

crispystl
08-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Maybe this was carl's way of getting a feel on what Roafs thinking.
My bad I missed page three before I typed this.

KChiefs1
08-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Roaf will be in the starting lineup opening day vs the Bengals.

Calcountry
08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice. What is the right property? I racked my brain for a minute, but couldn't remember. I dont watch alot of commercials, they kill too many brain cells.. :)ROFL Holliday Inn EXPRESS.

Holliday inn, is an entirely different Brand of Hotels, within the same family of Hotel properties.

;)

Calcountry
08-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Holiday Inn Express.Doh, maybe I should read the thread before I reply.