PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Jerseys - advice?

alnorth
08-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Ever since I caught a game in Omaha just for the hell of it and watched Teahen stretch out a triple in a AAA game, I started to believe maybe he had turned it around.

At this point, I'm ready to spring for one of those obscenely expensive authentic customized player jerseys with Mark's name and number. (Havent decided between the home blue, home white, road grey, or road black.) I figure he's good enough to stick for years even if the last two months were a fluke and he comes back down to being "only" above-average.

Anyone have any advice, stories, or buyer's remorse on something like this?

nychief
08-03-2006, 10:06 PM
you remember all the Grbac jerseys around town.....jeeez

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2006, 10:06 PM
With the Royals better go old school and get a Brett or Frank White, I'm scared to death to spend money on any player since they trade so often.

Eleazar
08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I've got an old authentic Jermaine Dye jersey. I've been thinking about taking it to someone and seeing if they can pull the DYE off the back and slap TEAHEN on there.

Frazod
08-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I'd only buy one that either says "Brett" or "White" on it. Otherwise, it either belongs to a has-been, a never-will-be, or a future Yankee. :shake:

Eleazar
08-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I'd only buy one that either says "Brett" or "White" on it. Otherwise, it either belongs to a has-been, a never-will-be, or a future Yankee. :shake:

The trick is that buying them off a website, you can't use the name and number combination of a retired player. I wanted an old powder blue one with frank white on it, but since they aren't in the MLBPA anymore or something, they can't do it.

Frazod
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
The trick is that buying them off a website, you can't use the name and number combination of a retired player. I wanted an old powder blue one with frank white on it, but since they aren't in the MLBPA anymore or something, they can't do it.

Fansedge has a powder blue Brett jersey (and for some reason, a Bo Jackson jersey :spock: ). They're $300 a piece, though.

tk13
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah that customizer on the official team websites is pretty clever about catching famous players.

Tough call on who to pick... hard telling who Dayton will and won't deal... he'd definitely not afraid. We'll be re-signing some of these guys down the road... just don't know which ones yet.

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I think Teahan will get traded.

tk13
08-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I think Teahan will get traded.
Yeah, you're not alone.... there seems to be a lot of people on the various message boards who like the idea.

Personally, I think that's crazy. We don't even know how good he is yet. Anything's possible, but what if these last three months aren't a fluke? What if he is a superstar caliber player capable of putting up Ortiz/Pujols type numbers. And we'd be trading that away? We'd never get fair value in return.

alnorth
08-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Lets make this interesting for the peanut gallery:

If your not a die-hard Royals fan, pretend you are, and you HAVE to buy an authentic jersey right now featuring a current Royal, but you would like to pick someone who is least likely to suck, get hurt, or get traded within 6 years.

Which jersey would you buy? (including which of the 4 styles)

Frazod
08-03-2006, 10:42 PM
If you buy a Sweeney jersey they throw in a sling and a heating pad for no extra charge.

Eleazar
08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, you're not alone.... there seems to be a lot of people on the various message boards who like the idea.

Personally, I think that's crazy. We don't even know how good he is yet. Anything's possible, but what if these last three months aren't a fluke? What if he is a superstar caliber player capable of putting up Ortiz/Pujols type numbers. And we'd be trading that away? We'd never get fair value in return.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, if Gordon is the real deal, and we don't have a place on the diamond for the guy at all. But you have to know what you have in Teahen first. At the end of next year, even, you might not really know what you have in Gordon.

I trust Moore to make the right moves, but to do it before the end of next year... eh. I'm not so sure we'll have so much talent on the field that we won't have a place for his bat. If we are seeing the real Teahen right now.

tk13
08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Haha... I'm afraid to even touch that question. Dayton's completely changed the look of the team and he's only been GM for a couple months... I'd be afraid to make that kinda decision right now. Hard telling what he has up his sleeve.

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I would love to send Teahan to the Angels for their prized SS Brandon Wood. That kid is going to be a star, he is the only prospect in the Texas League that was close to Gordon. Heck I would take Aybar if not Wood.

Say we got Wood, look at our lineup:
C - Buck
1b - Shealy
2b - Kepplinger
SS - Wood
3b - Gordon
LF - DeJesus
CF - Gaithright
RF - Butler
DH - Huber

That could be a darn good team.

Jim Jones
08-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Wait until Alex Gordon gets called up and then get his jersey.

OnTheWarpath15
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I've got an old authentic Jermaine Dye jersey. I've been thinking about taking it to someone and seeing if they can pull the DYE off the back and slap TEAHEN on there.

http://shop.exclusivepro.com/

This company has done work for me in the past. Actually, I just shipped them some more work today. A memorabilia shop here was selling authentic NFL jerseys of guys that have retired/changed teams super cheap. I bought a road white Holmes jersey for $90, then sent it to Exclusive Pro to have all of the "3's" removed and replaced with "9". Obviously they are removing the Holmes nameplace and replacing it with Hali.....

So, including the re-customization, I'm still only paying $155 for a $225 jersey......

alanm
08-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Lets make this interesting for the peanut gallery:

If your not a die-hard Royals fan, pretend you are, and you HAVE to buy an authentic jersey right now featuring a current Royal, but you would like to pick someone who is least likely to suck, get hurt, or get traded within 6 years.

Which jersey would you buy? (including which of the 4 styles)
Well, being a Nebraska guy and knowing he'll be around at least 6 yrs, How can you go wrong if you order a Alex Gordon jersey? And I still think the white home jerseys are the best. :thumb:

alanm
08-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Duh... I guess I should read some of the replys first. :banghead:
Anyway TK, they said Gordon would definately not be moved from 3rd. So if Teahan is going to stick around he's going to be a 1st baseman.

tk13
08-04-2006, 12:03 AM
I think Teahen might be moved, but I wouldn't just trade him because of that. We didn't trade away Johnny Damon just because we had Beltran. I mean we really don't know yet... but say this isn't a fluke and Teahen's a .320 AVG, 40 HR guy... we'd be nuts to trade that away. He's not even close to free agency. If he keeps playing like this, Gordon is going to be the one trying to keep up with Teahen rather than the other way around... which is pretty good news for the team as a whole.