PDA

View Full Version : Young Guns - Croyle & Printers

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Young Guns

By Clayton Wendler
Warpaint Illustrated Editor
Date: Aug 4, 2006

The Kansas City Chiefs finally have a quarterback of the future on their roster.

Check that. They may have two.

OK, so maybe Casey Printers and Brodie Croyle won’t both be starting NFL quarterbacks five years from now, but you can’t deny they’ve got realistic potential.

When was the last time the Chiefs had that?

In the past decade, they’ve gone to training camp with Warren Moon, Todd Collins, Joe Germaine, Ted White, James Kilian, Jonathan Quinn, Pat Barnes and some guy named Billy Joe, just to name a few.

Most of those guys were outstanding clipboard holders. Collins held the clipboard so well that I was shocked he wasn’t voted to multiple Pro Bowls during his Kansas City career.

But none of those quarterbacks represented potential. And the potential of Printers and Croyle has Chiefs’ quarterbacks coach Terry Shea positively giddy as he watches them in training camp this year.

Brodie Croyle

“Brodie Croyle brings outstanding footwork to the position,” said Shea. “He’s got a truly lively arm and a quick release. He handles himself in a very natural style, endears himself to the team, and he’s very well received by his teammates. You can’t find too many bumps in the road with Brodie right now.”

There are few bumps right now, and there haven’t been any for a long time. When Croyle was in ninth grade, he attended a passing tournament in Kentucky. An opposing coach took notice of Croyle, and was so impressed that he labeled him a “can’t-miss” player.

Sure enough, Croyle broke almost every state passing record at Westbrook Christian High School. Then he went to college. And again, he broke almost every passing record in Alabama history.

But if he’s going to break any of Len Dawson’s records in Kansas City, Croyle admits he’s got a long way to go. Alabama ran a pro-style offense under Mike Shula, but the volume of an NFL playbook is daunting.

Fortunately, Croyle’s got a great mentor in starter Trent Green.

“It’s a different type of learning,” said Croyle,” but it’s not that bad, especially when you’ve got someone like Trent, who knows the offense so well. He’s such a nice guy that he’ll come back and explain things to you, and how he saw it.”

“He’s incredible. He knows the offense so well, and he knows where everybody is on the field. He never looks at the receiver until the last second. It’s been fun to watch him. He’s a good guy to try and pattern yourself after.”

But learning the offense isn’t the only hurdle for a rookie quarterback. The NFL is faster, meaner and tougher than college football. It’s not an easy transition for any player, but quarterbacks are the only ones that have to stand in the face of a relentless pass rush.

Croyle has already tasted it. Defensive end Jared Allen has been breathing down his neck in River Falls. So has fellow rookie Tamba Hali, who sacked Croyle at the Senior Bowl in January.

“They’re beasts, there ain’t no doubt about it,” said Croyle. “Everybody’s just so much faster, and so much bigger, and they understand football. They’re not just big, fast guys; they know how to play the game.”

Eventually, Croyle will know how to play the NFL game, too. For right now, he’s content to wait his turn behind Green.

“I might not be ready right now,” said Croyle “but when my time comes I’ll be ready, whenever it is.”

Casey Printers

All the buzz over Croyle might make some people forget that there is another young quarterback in training camp this year. But he’s not hard to pick out of the crowd. He’s the only one with a set of wheels.

“One of God’s gifts to me is being able to use my athleticism,” said Printers. “I’m going to use it until I can’t use it anymore. That’s one of the things that make me different, and I’m proud of that.”

Printers ran for almost 1,000 yards in two years in the CFL. He scored nine rushing touchdowns and averaged 5.7 yards-per-carry when he won the Most Outstanding Player award with the B.C. Lions in 2004.

But don’t dismiss him as a Michael Vick clone. Shea is quick to point out that Printers is not a run-first quarterback.

“(Casey) runs out of necessity, and that’s a good trait,” said Shea. “I don’t sense that Casey is a run-first, pass-second player, but he does give us great changeup. As he grows within the offense we have two young quarterbacks that really complement each other.”

And like Croyle, Printers will also be complemented by Green. Printers said that he was impressed by the impeccable timing that the veteran displays during practice, and it makes him want to emulate it.

Timing is one thing, but in Canada, Printers played on a huge field in an offense that bears little resemblance to Kansas City’s.

Because of that, his learning curve might actually be higher than Croyle’s.

“It’s a totally new learning situation,” said Shea. “(Casey’s) got a language barrier learning the offense and all the terminology for the very first time. Not that he doesn’t speak English. He does a great job of absorbing the offense, so he’s done a nice job from that standpoint. He demonstrates a very strong arm. Every once in awhile, I’ll catch him in a windup mode, and in the NFL you want to try to eliminate that kind of mechanic.”

Printer’s NFL baptism may take time, but he’s enjoying the benefits of the league already. He grew up watching wide receiver Dante Hall play at Texas A&M, and is enjoying working with anyone who’ll catch his passes.

“Tony Gonzalez and Eddie Kennison are great,” said Printers. “It’s a pleasure to be out here and watch those guys after seeing them on television for years. When you’re actually out here with them, there’s nothing better than that.”

And the Chiefs would surely love nothing better than to keep both of their young gunslingers. Shea noted that the NFL wanted teams to keep another quarterback when they changed the rules to allow an additional practice squad player.

“Maybe there’s a way we can work this out and allow three quarterbacks to be on the roster and one on the practice squad,” said Shea. “We’ve got the right characters and the chemistry at the position to keep four.”

JimNasium
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
This one was worth the read. Thanks GoChiefs.

JimNasium
08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Surely Shea doesn't think either would last on the practice squad. Please, I'm begging them, get rid of Huard.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
good one ... thanks

JBucc
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Surely Shea doesn't think either would last on the practice squad. Please, I'm begging them, get rid of Huard.Everything I've read points to Huard being #2

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Surely Shea doesn't think either would last on the practice squad. Please, I'm begging them, get rid of Huard.
yep

Fish
08-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Good article....

Sounding more and more like Printers might be the odd man out. And surely someone would sign him off the practice squad........

I understand why they will probably keep Huard, I just hate thinking about it....

JimNasium
08-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Everything I've read points to Huard being #2
I know but they are screwed if Green goes down so might as well throw a youngster into the deep end if it happens. Just my 2 cents.

JBucc
08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I know but they are screwed if Green goes down so might as well throw a youngster into the deep end if it happens. Just my 2 cents.I agree

jspchief
08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
We're going to carry 4 QBs. Herm or Carl already said so a few weeks back.

cdcox
08-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Nice article. Looks like you did your own interviews?

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
We're going to caryy 4 QBs. Herm or Carl already said so a few weeks back.

did they happen to say HOW they were gonna carry the 4th QB when none will be on the practice squad?

we'll have to wait and see what happens when they start having to cut players and have to go short at another position to fit the 4th QB.

Coogs
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I know but they are screwed if Green goes down so might as well throw a youngster into the deep end if it happens. Just my 2 cents.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You never know. We might get lucky with Croyle like the Steelers did with Rothlisberger. The offense around a young guy here is much better than some of the 1st rounders drafted at the very top like Smith with the '9ers.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Part of those quotes are exclusive interviews, yeah.

It looks to me like the battle for the #2 is between Huard and Printers. I really don't see how they can put either youngster on the PS, unless they do something in their contracts to make them undesirable to other teams.

DaFace
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Heh...I just glanced at the byline and assumed this was from the Star or something (that's meant to be a compliment). I didn't realize it was a GC article till reading the comments. Nice work, man.

sedated
08-04-2006, 01:02 PM
We're going to carry 4 QBs. Herm or Carl already said so a few weeks back.

"We'll keep the best 53 football players."

- Herm Edwards

jspchief
08-04-2006, 01:05 PM
did they happen to say HOW they were gonna carry the 4th QB when none will be on the practice squad?

we'll have to wait and see what happens when they start having to cut players and have to go short at another position to fit the 4th QB.No. Is there any reason why the PS has to have a QB on it?

I was suprised by the comment too, but it was said. They know as well as the rest of us that Croyle and Printers won't last on the open market.

JimNasium
08-04-2006, 01:05 PM

- Herm Edwards
As long as 4 of them are QBs. :p

Donger
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice article, GoChiefs.

Now, time for me to edit it.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
No. Is there any reason why the PS has to have a QB on it?

I was suprised by the comment too, but it was said. They know as well as the rest of us that Croyle and Printers won't last on the open market.
i think there's a rule that says you can only carry 4 QB's IF one of them is on the Practice Squad.

Huard isn't a candidate for the PS

Printer has a free agent contract from the CFL ... i doubt he would even agree to go to the PS(he'll just go back to the canada)

Croyle won't make it through waivers

only way they can carry 4 QB's that i know of is if they have printers play another position as well.... WR/4QB etc.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
What if we chucked one on the PUP?

jspchief
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
i think there's a rule that says you can only carry 4 QB's IF one of them is on the Practice Squad.
I'm pretty sure that rule doesn't exist. San Diego carried 4 QBs last year iirc.

mlyonsd
Most of those guys were outstanding clipboard holders. Collins held the clipboard so well that I was shocked he wasn’t voted to multiple Pro Bowls during his Kansas City career.

ROFL That was funny.

penguinz
That would work for Huard. He is physically unable to perform at an NFL level.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 01:12 PM
i suppose croyle can have his shoulder continue to irritate him. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that rule doesn't exist. San Diego carried 4 QBs last year iirc.
i'm not 100% ... but i coulda sworn i've seen it somewhere.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
PUP is six weeks, right?

Basically we stick Croyle on the PUP and go with the other two on the roster. Bronco fans laugh at oft-injured Croyle, but it works out.

jspchief
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
i'm not 100% ... but i coulda sworn i've seen it somewhere.Nor am I. I'm about 90% sure though.

I'm searching at this point. But I think this discussion has happened before.

jspchief
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Players can't practice while on PUP can they?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Where would you find reps for a fourth quarterback anyway? The second-team quarterback barely gets reps during the week as it is.

Croyle can get plenty of mental reps.

Donger
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
No errors? WTF?

Who helped you?

Moooo
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Players can't practice while on PUP can they?

Nope. They aren't supposed to be able to.

It's times like this I am glad I'm not the guy having to decide on who makes the team...

Moooo

Fire Me Boy!
08-04-2006, 01:18 PM
GoChiefs... see. It's not WPI everyone's against -- it's Nick Athan.

Fire Me Boy!
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Nice article, btw. I enjoyed the read!

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
No errors? WTF?

Who helped you?

OWNED!

After this was published last night I had to go back and remove an apostrophe and change a "Croyle" to "Printers," but that was it.

Donger
08-04-2006, 01:21 PM
OWNED!

After this was published last night I had to go back and remove an apostrophe and change a "Croyle" to "Printers," but that was it.

ROFL

You write rather well. Keep it up.

sedated
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Huard, by all accounts, has been awful in training camp.

Once the coaching staff starts to trust Croyle, he will be the backup.

Huard will be released.

StcChief
08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
4 QBs... Trade bait?

ChiefsOne
08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
We have two young quarterbacks that really complement each other.

Does that = QBBC

Fish
08-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Huard, by all accounts, has been awful in training camp.

Once the coaching staff starts to trust Croyle, he will be the backup.

Huard will be released.

I've heard conflicting stories on Huard.... I've heard that Huard was doing fine and running with the 1st team when Trent wasn't in.... :shrug:

I have no faith in Huard though.....

Mecca
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I bet Casey Printers could play the 4th or 5th WR spot as good as the scrubs we have......

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Huard has had some good days. I think read on the River Falls site that he was 10 for 11 passing during one session. I've got half a mind to compile all the stats they throw up on their site.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Huard has had some good days. I think read on the River Falls site that he was 10 for 11 passing during one session. I've got half a mind to compile all the stats they throw up on their site.
that's fine ... but little dump off passes to the RB on a 7 on 7 drill doesn't mean jack squat ... nobody is there to cover those anyway.

so one 10 yard out = 12 dump offs

Hammock Parties
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, no one knows where he's throwing the ball.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, no one knows where he's throwing the ball.

tis why i brought it up when you talked about the stats

it ain't gonna mean much unless we know whether it's a quality pass for whomever.

Pitt Gorilla
08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
A rule about the number of QBs seems silly. "Hey, Croyle is a WR!" says CP.

Vancouver Canuck
08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Printer has a free agent contract from the CFL ... i doubt he would even agree to go to the PS(he'll just go back to the canada)

With all due respect to Casey Printers, the BC Lions wouldn't want him back. We have a star in Dave Dickenson right now.

However, Printers was amazing here in Vancouver during his MVP year. He has such a strong arm and only really runs if left alone. Give him a couple of years to adjust to the Chiefs offense and he could be your starter.

milkman
08-04-2006, 08:40 PM

- Herm Edwards

If Huard is on the roster at the start of the season, then Hermie will have decided that they needed to keep the 52 best players, and Huard.

teedubya
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Nice article, Chief Peepsalot!

chefsos
08-04-2006, 10:59 PM
...only way they can carry 4 QB's that i know of is if they have printers play another position as well.... WR/4QB etc.
If he's really as athletic as claimed, I'd be very intrigued by this. Get him in there on occasion with some funky playcalling and see what happens.

Y'know, just to offset all the Martyball we're doomed to suffer through this year. (That's just for you, milkman.)

Dave Lane
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Printers sucked bawls at Mankato tonight. He hit two Vikes one in the back and the other on the back of the helmet. He consitantly threw into outstanding coverage and double coverage. He should have ad 4-5 picks in 20 plays of so. The dude can flat fly on the run though...

Dave

milkman
08-04-2006, 11:34 PM
If he's really as athletic as claimed, I'd be very intrigued by this. Get him in there on occasion with some funky playcalling and see what happens.

Y'know, just to offset all the Martyball we're doomed to suffer through this year. (That's just for you, milkman.)

That's funny, since I'm not one of the people crying that we are making a return to Martyball.

I've said this before, and I will probably say it again.

Maulball does not equal Martyball.

Maulball is attempting to physically dominate the opponent, both offensively and defensively, in an aggressive attempt to win.

Martyball is passively attempting not to lose.

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Surely Shea doesn't think either would last on the practice squad. Please, I'm begging them, get rid of Huard.?

JimNasium
11-07-2006, 02:20 PM
?
This is exactly why you want me posting on this board. I am always wrong on issues like this. BTW, I think Miami is going to kill us.

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
This is exactly why you want me posting on this board. I am always wrong on issues like this. BTW, I think Miami is going to kill us.
:p Well played.

JimNasium
11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
?
Oh and btw, thanks for dredging this up you bastUrd! :moon: Who died and made you Titus?

Redrum_69
11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
The one and two sentence paragraphs are killing me.