PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert causes chaos on Wikipedia

Hammock Parties
08-05-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHm0rGns4I

ROFL

On Monday night's episode of The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert addressed the online resource Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that anyone can read or edit. Colbert praised Wikipedia for "wikiality," the reality that exists if you make something up and enough people agree with you - it becomes reality. Colbert's subsequent examples to prove "wikiality" would cause chaos on the site, and lead an administrator to subsequently block his account.

In the segment, Colbert logs on to the Wikipedia article about his show to find out whether he usually refers to Oregon as "California's Canada or Washington's Mexico." Upon learning that he has referred to Oregon as both, he demonstrates how easy it is to disregard both references and put in a completely new one (Oregon is Idaho's Portugal), declaring it "the opinion I've always held, you can look it up."

Colbert goes on to declare that he doesn't believe George Washington had slaves.

If I want to say he didn't that's my right, and now, thanks to Wikipedia *taps keyboard* it's also a fact.

Here's the fun part - Colbert actually did this. The Wikipedia articles on his show and George Washington were both edited by the user Stephencolbert to reflect the changes he declared on air as he tapped at his computer around 23:35 UTC - which is 6:35pm on the East Coast, during the taping of his show, hours before it aired.
It gets better.

Colbert then urged his audience to find the Wikipedia entry on elephants and create an entry that stated their population had tripled in the last six months, a fact he freely stated to not know if it was "actually true," with his sidebar stating "it isn't." Guess what happened next?

Scores of internet users took Colbert's bait, repeatedly vandalizing approximately 20 articles on elephants before all being placed under a lock. The move also subsequently caused Wikipedia administrator Tawker to block Stephen Colbert from the website, reportedly to verify his identity. Either Tawker is incapable of checking the above log times that corroborate Colbert, or, more likely, he just wants to be mentioned on Stephen's show (as evidenced by his notes on the block and blog entry).

All this trouble over a man who, as his user page noted, is a 'defender of truth.'

StcChief
08-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Gotta love it. more Kaos on the internet.

the Talking Can
08-05-2006, 05:50 AM
nice

Hound333
08-05-2006, 06:31 AM
lol

DJay23
08-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Colbert is awesome

JBucc
08-05-2006, 08:06 AM
ROFL Colbert is cool

SLAG
08-05-2006, 08:21 AM
colbert must love to f' around on teh interweb

greg63
08-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Him and Gore teamed up. :D

DJay23
08-05-2006, 08:32 AM
He loves to "f" with everything.

My favorite was when he got that Congressman to say, "I love cocaine, there's nothing wrong with paying hookers for sex" or something like that.

SLAG
08-05-2006, 08:44 AM
He loves to "f" with everything.

My favorite was when he got that Congressman to say, "I love cocaine, there's nothing wrong with paying hookers for sex" or something like that.

Hes a good American

Jenson71
08-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Colbert's "Better Know a District" is a great segment. The people that actually bothered with this prank though, are not doing anything cool or funny.