PDA

View Full Version : Breast not best for all readers

penguinz
08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
People are dumb.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20015691-2,00.html

READERS of a US parenting magazine are crying foul over the publication's latest cover depicting a woman breastfeeding, with some calling the photo offensive and disgusting.

"I was shocked to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one woman from Kansas wrote in reaction to the picture in Babytalk, a free magazine that caters to young mothers.

"I was offended and it made my husband very uncomfortable when I left the magazine on the coffee table."

Her reaction was among some 5000 letters the magazine received in response to a poll to gauge reader sentiment about Babytalk's August cover photo, which shows a baby nursing.

Several readers said they were "embarrassed" or "offended" by the Babytalk photo and one woman from Nevada said she "immediately turned the magazine face down" when she saw the photo.

"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," the mother of a four-month-old said.

Another reader said she was "horrified" when she received the magazine and hoped that her husband hadn't laid eyes on it.

"I had to rip off the cover since I didn't want it laying around the house," she said.

A national television program also ran a segment on the controversy, interviewing several people in New York who expressed disgust over the cover photo.

The picture in Babytalk was aimed at illustrating the controversy surrounding breastfeeding in the United States, where a national survey by the American Dietetic Association found that 57 per cent of those polled are opposed to women breastfeeding in public and 72 per cent think it is inappropriate to show a woman breastfeeding on television programs.

Babytalk executive editor Lisa Moran said though most of those who responded to the poll about the cover photo gave the magazine a thumbs up, she was surprised that some 25 per cent expressed outrage.

"There is a real puritanical streak in America," Moran said.

"You see celebrities practically baring their breasts all the time and no one seems to mind in this sort of sexual context.

"But in this very natural context of feeding your child, a lot of Americans are very uncomfortable with it."

She said the controversy was all the more surprising in light of concerted efforts by the US government and health professionals to encourage women to breastfeed.

"Everyone is saying that breastfeeding is best for baby, but there is so little support for it in public," Moran said.

She said the Babytalk cover photo marked the first time a major parenting magazine in the United States had dared to break the taboo about showing a woman's breast and the outrage it had prompted was not about to discourage editors from doing it again.

"This hasn't scared us off at all," Moran said. "We're thrilled and hopefully this will help women get more support for nursing."

dj56dt58
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
People are dumb.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20015691-2,00.html

READERS of a US parenting magazine are crying foul over the publication's latest cover depicting a woman breastfeeding, with some calling the photo offensive and disgusting.

"I was shocked to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one woman from Kansas wrote in reaction to the picture in Babytalk, a free magazine that caters to young mothers.

"I was offended and it made my husband very uncomfortable when I left the magazine on the coffee table."

Her reaction was among some 5000 letters the magazine received in response to a poll to gauge reader sentiment about Babytalk's August cover photo, which shows a baby nursing.

Several readers said they were "embarrassed" or "offended" by the Babytalk photo and one woman from Nevada said she "immediately turned the magazine face down" when she saw the photo.

"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," the mother of a four-month-old said.

Another reader said she was "horrified" when she received the magazine and hoped that her husband hadn't laid eyes on it.

"I had to rip off the cover since I didn't want it laying around the house," she said.

"
These people should be banned from the US

Demonpenz
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Can we get a nsfw on this thread. Jeez

JBucc
08-05-2006, 09:42 AM
It looks like he's biting another babies buttcheek

Hound333
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Next there will be dancing *shocked*

penguinz
08-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Can we get a nsfw on this thread. JeezI hope this is a joke.

DJay23
08-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I could see getting upset if the mother were say, laid out on her back with her legs spread fingering herself and groping her other tit with a slutty look on her face WHILE breast feeding, but come on, the only reason you can tell that's a breast is the context. Like someone else said, it looks like a baby kissing another baby's ass.

Some people will get pissed about ANYTHING

58-4ever
08-05-2006, 09:57 AM
I hope this is a joke.

His sarcasm is hard to detect, but very funny when you do catch it.

Demonpenz
08-05-2006, 09:57 AM
its the worst when they do that while i am trying to eat. There is a bathroom right over there lazy ass.

58-4ever
08-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I could see getting upset if the mother were say, laid out on her back with her legs spread fingering herself and groping her other tit with a slutty look on her face WHILE breast feeding, but come on, the only reason you can tell that's a breast is the context. Like someone else said, it looks like a baby kissing another baby's ass.

Some people will get pissed about ANYTHING

Now that's what I'm talking about. keep typing, I'm almost there. ROFL

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:04 AM
The "offending" photo... I'm not kidding.

Demonpenz
08-05-2006, 10:05 AM
throw up :Lin:

StcChief
08-05-2006, 10:09 AM

He might get turned on and want F$#@ You.
Can't give him any reason to want to do that.

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:09 AM

She was "shocked" and "offended" but decided it was a good idea to leave it out on the coffee table?

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 10:11 AM
The "offending" photo... I'm not kidding.

That's a darling photo!!! :thumb:

I still can't believe there's a controversy over nursing in this day and age.
I nursed mine for three years.
I always covered up, or stepped aside if I had to do it in public.

Women's breasts are for feeding babies.

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
throw up :Lin:
That's the cutest effing picture of a baby I've seen in a long time. There's almost no evidence that there's a breast in the picture. Hell you'd probably have to do a double take to even know what the baby is doing.

After reading the article and getting a little pissed off at the stupidity of the people quoted, I about lost it when I saw the picture in question.

F.U.C.K.I.N.G S.T.U.P.I.D.

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:14 AM

I hope that was more than 1 kid.

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I hope that was more than 1 kid.

Nope. I only have one.
Not that I wouldn't love to have another.

mikey23545
08-05-2006, 10:33 AM
What a set of....

Oops.

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Nope. I only have one.
Not that I wouldn't love to have another.
Don't get me wrong, cause it's not a moral judgement, but isn't 3 years old a couple years too long to still be breastfeeding?

Seems like if the kid is old enough to unbutton your blouse and ask to be fed, it should be eating something kid food.

We are just now having our first kid, so I don't speak from experience per se, but still.

teedubya
08-05-2006, 10:49 AM
yeah, my wife is currently breastfeeding me at 33 years old. Is that too long?

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, cause it's not a moral judgement, but isn't 3 years old a couple years too long to still be breastfeeding?

Seems like if the kid is old enough to unbutton your blouse and ask to be fed, it should be eating something kid food.

We are just now having our first kid, so I don't speak from experience per se, but still.
I guess it's not completely unusual... I guess it depends on the kid.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/exas2.htm

Demonpenz
08-05-2006, 11:04 AM
That picture is pretty weak. If they get offended by that, they must not like it when i take the brown paper off the xxx mags and put them back on the shelves

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I guess it's not completely unusual... I guess it depends on the kid.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/exas2.htm

I guess that depends on who you talk to. The natural types say the longer the better. I had only planned on doing it 6 months; then a year. After that SHE refused to wean. Seemed like I was more a security blanket for her.

But that doesn't mean they don't also eat solid food either or even have a bottle.

One thing it does, is it helps prevent ear infections and keeps those passages open. Mine never had an ear infection....until one time later at 4 yrs of age.

I saw a woman in a dept store ladies room lounge nursing a five year old once. I thought OMG! But I say it's cultural they nurse kids to age 10 in some countries. Poor places naturally.

I eventually had to resort to putting ketchup on mine to get mine to stop.
Tabasco sauce was recommended by her aunt who used it to wean her calfs on her farm...but I couldn't go that far.

Funny thing is mine had a lot of trouble latching on after birth and I had to pump at first. So she actually started with a bottle. Once they do that, many never take to the breast as it's less work and easier from a bottle.

KcMizzou
08-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I saw a woman in a dept store ladies room lounge nursing a five year old once.Wtf...

jAZ
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Wtf...
At that point, I think the mom could literally say "here's $5, hit th food court, kid."

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
That's a darling photo!!! :thumb:

I still can't believe there's a controversy over nursing in this day and age.
I always covered up, or stepped aside if I had to do it in public.

Women's breasts are for feeding babies.

It's a very natural and healthy photo. Nothing to be ashamed of. However, BEP I take exception to your last silly comment that "Women's breasts are for feeding babies" I can tell you that there are many, many other things they are for. :)

Adept Havelock
08-05-2006, 11:36 AM
People freaked out over public breastfeeding? :shake:

It's just another silly reminder of the fact the colonies this country grew from were settled by people so tight-assed even the English kicked them out.

I'm with Chiefaroo on this one. That may be the "primary" function for breasts, BEP, but far from the only one.... :p

Mecca
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
People freaked out over public breastfeeding? :shake:

It's just another silly reminder of the fact the colonies this country grew from were settled by people so tight-assed even the English kicked them out.

I'm with Chiefaroo on this one. That may be the "primary" function for breasts, BEP, but far from the only one.... :p

That's pretty much it, we still have an extremely uptight religious sector of this country that thinks anything and everything is offensive.

KcMizzou
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
It's just another silly reminder of the fact the colonies this country grew from were settled by people so tight-assed even the English kicked them out.That's the third time I've heard that quote in two days. Weird.

(The last one was on Robin Williams : Live on Broadway)

Hydrae
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
At my company outing the other day, we went bowling. I was a bit surprised to see 2 different mothers breatsfeeding at the bowling alley. Not offended, just a little surprised.

jidar
08-05-2006, 11:45 AM
so... lol.
Yeah...

okay... hrm.

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, who said men weren't babies?

My point stands! ROFL

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Touche. I yield the floor.

Now, will you send me a picture of yours?

Hammock Parties
08-05-2006, 11:55 AM
This is just a reminder of what a stupid, puritanical culture we have.

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Touche. I yield the floor.

Now, will you send me a picture of yours?

Are you http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:f8YHIBK6O3dSKM:atlas.kennesaw.edu/~hgrantie/images/roo/kangas15.jpg??

Didn't know he was a Chief's fan?

Hammock Parties
08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
BucEyedPea is like a 15-year old.

But can you imagine one with enormous tits?

Adept Havelock
08-05-2006, 11:59 AM
That's pretty much it, we still have an extremely uptight religious sector of this country that thinks anything and everything is offensive.

I'll agree, though I know a fair number of non-religious folks with just as big a stick up their ass about a lot of things. I've got to say I find the comment really funny...considering your username. Folks who go there aren't exactly hedonists, IMO. ROFL

That's the third time I've heard that quote in two days. Weird.

(The last one was on Robin Williams : Live on Broadway)

Robin Williams= Wise (and very very funny) man who speaks sooth.

Well, who said men weren't babies?

My point stands! ROFL

:LOL:

BucEyedPea is like a 15-year old.

But can you imagine one with enormous tits?
You mean like that somewhat disturbing jailbait prom photo you posted a while back in the pictures thread? :shake:

Mecca
08-05-2006, 12:05 PM
LOL.....my name has nothing to do with being religious. I don't think there's any long haired white dudes like me praying at mecca.....

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Careful there Mecca-boy, such screenames are usually self-fulfilling prophecies! ROFL :p

Rain Man
08-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't it be weird if our culture allowed and encouraged breastfeeding into adulthood?

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Hmmm... :hmmm: ...great way to lose weight, RM! :)

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Are you http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:f8YHIBK6O3dSKM:atlas.kennesaw.edu/~hgrantie/images/roo/kangas15.jpg??

Didn't know he was a Chief's fan?

That's me honey except that's not MY TAIL your looking at!

BucEyedPea
08-05-2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.pewterconnection.com/html/emoticons/notaword.gifhttp://www.pewterconnection.com/html/emoticons/badteeth.gif

http://www.pewterconnection.com/html/emoticons/flasher.gif

Adept Havelock
08-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Careful there Mecca-boy, such screenames are usually self-fulfilling prophecies! ROFL :p

Uh-oh...... I'm really in trouble then. :p