PDA

View Full Version : Blob Gretz: Mankato thoughts

RealSNR
08-05-2006, 11:40 AM
GRETZ: Mankato Thoughts
Aug 05, 2006, 12:06:05 PM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Editor’s Note: The Power Outage is still ongoing. We will update the site as soon as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANKATO, MN – For the first time in recent memory, the Chiefs left here Friday evening without hard feelings, harsh words or major injuries. They returned to River Falls with a couple of hours of practice under their belt against the Vikings and plenty of tape to review.

This is the way these sessions should go. But recent history between these teams has included trading cheap shots and verbal jabs. Edwards told the Chiefs he did not want to see any of that. This team was listening, because there were no incidents. There were a couple of moments that could have turned into something more, but both teams walked away from escalating the confrontations.

So there’s only football to talk about out of Mankato … how refreshing. The Chiefs looked strong in some areas, had their problems in others, but generally put together a good evening against the Vikings.

The star of the night was the Chiefs fans who turned out in force for this event unlike any other visit to Mankato. Crowd estimates ranged from 2,500 to 2,700 and it was at least 45 to 50 percent of those in attendance were wearing red. They were loud and apparently having their own training camp for the 2006 season at Arrowhead.

Most of my time was spent watching the defense and there were plenty of hopeful signs on that side of the football. In the nine-on-seven drill, which is designed to test the running game for both the offense and defense, the Chiefs were gashed on the first play when Greg Wesley failed to fill a gap. But from that point on, Gunther Cunningham’s group really dominated. New faces Ron Edwards and James Reed were running with the first team at defensive tackle and they did the job. So did Ryan Sims and especially Lional Dalton, who were moved down to the second team. Dalton was nursing a hamstring pull on Thursday, but he showed up and really was a force against the run.

Among the linebackers, Derrick Johnson continued what has been an excellent training camp, as he was constantly at the point of attack. Same goes for Keyaron Fox with the second group.

When the Chiefs went to a blitz session against the No. 1 Minnesota offense, they had trouble getting to quarterback Brad Johnson, who continually was able to get the ball off. The second unit got to the backup quarterbacks several times in the blitz.

The Chiefs coverage guys, especially the cornerbacks did not look nearly as good in their one-on-one battles with the Vikings. On it’s face, the coverage man is at a disadvantage in these sessions because he’s alone, with no deep help. These drills are where the corner develops a thick skin and there were plenty of opportunities for Benny Sapp, Julian Battle, Chris Johnson and Justin Perkins to learn that. And remember, this Minnesota team no longer has receivers like Randy Moss or Nate Burleson to cover.

Derrick Johnson and Kawika Mitchell looked strong in coverage, with Mitchell getting deep down the field in the Chiefs zone schemes. Rookie Jarrad Page was everywhere, not only rushing the passer on the blitz, but out in coverage as well. He always seems to be around the football.

Once the teams all came together, we got a chance to see the Chiefs offense on the stadium field. Well, most of the Chiefs offense. Trent Green did not take any snaps in these drills, nor did Larry Johnson, or Will Shields. Brian Waters is still out with his foot injury and Tony Gonzalez was in Canton, Ohio for Saturday’s Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. Newly acquired Michael Bennett was there, but did not participate as he nurses a sore hamstring and tries to gain a grasp of the Chiefs offense.

One guy who did play and grabbed everybody’s attention was Kyle Turley at left tackle. Minnesota’s young DE Erasmus James had quite an evening trying to get around Turley, who showed no signs of rust from two years of not playing.

Overall, the Chiefs did a nice job running the football, especially with Dee Brown. Damon Huard also looked good throwing the ball. Draft choice Brodie Croyle has a sore shoulder and did not participate. Casey Printers looked ragged, as he continues to take off and run at the slightest hint of pressure in the pocket.

In the end, it was a good evening for the Chiefs. They had a break in the routine, they worked against another team and there’s two hours of tape to dissect and review.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

the Talking Can
08-05-2006, 12:13 PM
wow...that's quite a different take from the doom and gloom reports

Rain Man
08-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Were he and Dave Lane at the same place?

And why did Tony G. get the day off to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony?

VonneMarie
08-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Sugar coated?

JBucc
08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm going to think we're are somewhere the middle of this and the other guys' reports.

htismaqe
08-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't know if it's that much different than the doom and gloom reports...

He said the CB's sucked, which was the glaring thing everybody else mentioned.

chop
08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
wow...that's quite a different take from the doom and gloom reports

He did say that the cb's had trouble but he didn't dwell on it like in the other accounts of the practice. He also noticed things that were going well with the practice unlike previous posts.

I'm not going to let anyones perception, of how the practice went, determine how I feel about the Chiefs yet. I enjoy hearing the reports but you have to take them for what they are and not get too wrapped up in what they say. When they get to the final couple of preseason games, and the starters are in, I'll take others views more seriously.

But once again, I do enjoy hearing the reports from the other fans that are in attendance.

Mecca
08-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Were he and Dave Lane at the same place?

And why did Tony G. get the day off to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony?

Tony and Warren Moon are buddies if you didn't know.......so he's there as a friend of Moon's.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
It's nice to hear Turley sucks.

Bowser
08-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I was listening to 610 at work last night, and with the exception of our corners not looking good, they reported the exact opposite of what Gretz said. Defense sucked, offense looked great, and Damon Huard looked like cooked ass on the field.

Take that for what it's worth.

KChiefs1
08-05-2006, 03:22 PM
King Carl's mouthpiece at work again...

munkey
08-05-2006, 06:19 PM
King Carl's mouthpiece at work again...

ROFL

Deberg_1990
08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
the Chiefs were gashed on the first play when Greg Wesley failed to fill a gap.

My My, what else is new??? This guy is a chump.

Halfcan
08-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow this is great news.,.,.,...,I think???

stevieray
08-05-2006, 08:45 PM
My My, what else is new??? This guy is a chump.

He has underperformed ever since he got paid.

Inconsistant at best. It's a shame too, i remember when he used to light people up.