PDA

View Full Version : The best FFL 12-team scoring system and how many do you draft at what positions?

jAZ
08-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Just curious what format's people like most and why?

No "divisions" please. Standard team defense, special teams, kicker scoring.

Thanks!

Valiant
08-05-2006, 11:06 PM
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
TE/WR
K
DEF

BENCH
BENCH
BENCH
BENCH
BENCH

---------------------------------------

For 12 man I love this set up, 3Wr TE WR/TE helps even the scoring of the WR vs. the RB's since there are only a few elite backs... But make sure you do not have many bench spots, this forces teams not to stack players that other teams could use...

I also give bonuses for QB's that go over 400, WR and RB that go over 200 yards..

Rain Man
08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I was in a league for a while where we had a great keeper system.

Each person had eight "roster points". At the end of the season, you could keep anyone on your team as long as you had enough roster points to do so.

Now here's the kicker. Each player had a roster point cost equal to the number of seasons they had been with your team. So you could keep eight guys you drafted the previous season, or you could keep one guy you'd had for four years, one guy with three years, and one guy with one year. It just had to add up to eight points.

The fun part about this was that, after the league had been around a few years, the decisions got very interesting. Do you keep LaDainian Tomlinson at 4 points, or do you keep Willie Parker and Alex Smith at 2 points each? It made the keeper decisions fun, and also resulted in a steady turnover of the top players over time.

Valiant
08-05-2006, 11:11 PM
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I was in a league for a while where we had a great keeper system.

Each person had eight "roster points". At the end of the season, you could keep anyone on your team as long as you had enough roster points to do so.

Now here's the kicker. Each player had a roster point cost equal to the number of seasons they had been with your team. So you could keep eight guys you drafted the previous season, or you could keep one guy you'd had for four years, one guy with three years, and one guy with one year. It just had to add up to eight points.

The fun part about this was that, after the league had been around a few years, the decisions got very interesting. Do you keep LaDainian Tomlinson at 4 points, or do you keep Willie Parker and Alex Smith at 2 points each? It made the keeper decisions fun, and also resulted in a steady turnover of the top players over time.

That is a good system once you get further down the road.. My league is in year 3...

jAZ
08-05-2006, 11:14 PM
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
TE/WR
K
DEF

BENCH
BENCH
BENCH
BENCH
BENCH

---------------------------------------

For 12 man I love this set up, 3Wr TE WR/TE helps even the scoring of the WR vs. the RB's since there are only a few elite backs... But make sure you do not have many bench spots, this forces teams not to stack players that other teams could use...

I also give bonuses for QB's that go over 400, WR and RB that go over 200 yards..
What number of players (min/max) at each position do you draft? Any players you want at any position? Or a certain # at each position? Or a mix, if so what?

I ask because we always played

QB, RB, RB, WR/TE, WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, D, K

and drafted

2xQB, 4xRB, 4xWR/TE, D, K, 3xFLEX

But we are going from 8-man league to 12-man league.

With 12, the RB position is so diluted people are worried.

Rain Man
08-05-2006, 11:14 PM
That is a good system once you get further down the road.. My league is in year 3...

I was a big fan of it. The only problem we had was getting people to buy into it in Year 1 (we had a new league), when essentially you could keep eight players and so there wasn't much turnover in rosters that year.

There's no reason why you couldn't implement in Year 3, though. It might even work better that way.

Nzoner
08-05-2006, 11:18 PM
We start

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
K
DEF
Coach

BENCH HAS TO BE

1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
1 DEF
1 COACH
1 EXTRA PLAYER at any above position

It's a fairly decent money league at $150 per team and personally we like having the benches stacked because it encourages more trades which we also charge for.

One unique thing about our league is that we play all 17 weeks and then the top 6 teams make the actual NFL post season and continue on in a non head-to-head points tournament all the way through the NFL Superbowl.

DJay23
08-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Personally, I'd be happiest with a score league only. I'm not wild about all the points for every tiny little thing that happens, I'm all about the bottom line, but I digress.

The league I've been in for several years (that I am the returning champion of) and that is wildly competitive uses the following points breakdowns:

6 points for all touchdowns, passing, rushing, receiving, or defensive.

2 points for a scored or thrown 2 pt conversion

10 points for a punt or kickoff return touchdown.

1 point for every 50 yards passing after the first 100 (no bonuses)

1 point for every 20 yards rushing and/or receiving (no bonuses)

1 point for an extra point

3 points for a FG 0-39 yards

4 points for a FG 40-49 yards

5 points for a FG 50+ yards

2 points for Defensive INT or Fumble recovery

1 point for every full Sack

2 points for a Safety

2 points for a blocked FG (but not Punt :shrug: )

10 points for a defensive shutout

3 points if D holds opponent under 10 points

2 points if D holds team between 14 and 11 points

1 point if D holds team between 20 and 15 points

-1 point if D allows between 24 and 28 points

-2 points if D allows between 29 and 33 points

-3 points if D allows greater than 34 points

-2 for a thrown INT

-2 for a fumbled ball

-2 for a missed PAT

That was all from memory. I don't think I forgot anything, that seems to be it. We play head to head. Scores of games are generally between 40-60 on average and sometimes someone will go off into the 70's to 80's. 90's is rare and 100's I think has happened once in the last 3 years that I can remember. As the league champ last year I was second in points with just over 1000 for the season. The leader only had 60 more than me.

For me, I personally like a more realistic football number, that's why I'm against these PPR leagues, and getting points every time a player scratches his nuts. It's ridickerous.

DJay23
08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Woops,

We draft:
2 QB
4 RB
5 WR
2 TE
2 K
2 D/ST

These are fixed numbers. You can't have all running backs on your bench if you want. Makes things a little more challenging and a little less challenging at the same time. On one hand, you have to try to draft a good backup TE, but then if I had my choice, I just wouldn't.

I'm actually in another league this year where I'll have to draft bench players without the set requirements. Should be fun.

DJay23
08-05-2006, 11:29 PM

Good, if they're not up for the challenge, they will lose then.

It's fun having a deep league because all of your little decisions win you the title. It's like boxing. If everyone has 2 stud RB's, then both boxers are landing haymakers constantly. No skill required, no research necessary just go nuts on each other. But if you only get 1 guaranteed stud, the rest is more academic and it's like you have to be patient, pick your spots and surgically take your opponents apart.

DJay23
08-05-2006, 11:31 PM
1 COACH

How does this work?

Nzoner
08-05-2006, 11:46 PM
How does this work?

Each owner drafts two NFL coaches and starts one per week,if coach wins it's a 10 pt bonus,a tie is worth 5 and a loss is 0.Makes the draft a little more interesting as well.

Valiant
08-05-2006, 11:46 PM
What number of players (min/max) at each position do you draft? Any players you want at any position? Or a certain # at each position? Or a mix, if so what?

I ask because we always played

QB, RB, RB, WR/TE, WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, D, K

and drafted

2xQB, 4xRB, 4xWR/TE, D, K, 3xFLEX

But we are going from 8-man league to 12-man league.

No, the ten spots I mentioned are the starters and then there is only five bench spots for whoever you want to put there... This keeps the managers from overstocking on players...

Nzoner
08-05-2006, 11:48 PM
No, the ten spots I mentioned are the starters and then there is only five bench spots for whoever you want to put there... This keeps the managers from overstocking on players...

I'm assuming your waiver wire is quite busy?

Valiant
08-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm assuming your waiver wire is quite busy?

Not as many as you would think unless you lose some players to injury.. Last year we had one guy at 11-2 and a 3-10, everybody else was around .500.. Everybody in the league great at drafting, we also have a 3-keeper system...

jAZ
08-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Each owner drafts two NFL coaches and starts one per week,if coach wins it's a 10 pt bonus,a tie is worth 5 and a loss is 0.Makes the draft a little more interesting as well.
What system do you use to score these non-standard systems? I don't think Yahoo allows for that do they?

Nzoner
08-06-2006, 12:03 AM
What system do you use to score these non-standard systems? I don't think Yahoo allows for that do they?

We pay $69.95 a year and use Statsworld.com,we love it.

I can't say about Yahoo,in fact this is my first year ever playing in a free league there and personally I think their scoring(at least in the league I'm in)is crazy,especially the amount of points deducted for this and that.We only have one way to lose points in our league and that's -1 for a QB INT.

Nzoner
08-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Personally, I'd be happiest with a score league only. I'm not wild about all the points for every tiny little thing that happens, I'm all about the bottom line, but I digress.

For me, I personally like a more realistic football number, that's why I'm against these PPR leagues, and getting points every time a player scratches his nuts. It's ridickerous.

Just my .02 but I played in a score league only 1 time and was done,for me there was nothing worse than watching my rb get 100+ yds rushing and no td's and still see a 0.

I do agree on the PPR opinion though,we actually use decimals in our league so 83 yds rushing = 8.3,we had a guy last year that lost his game by 1/10th of a point.