,./

StcChief
08-06-2006, 06:55 AM
LOL has a Nissan owner I love it. I hope they don't buy that POS company

recxjake
08-06-2006, 08:42 AM
(attachment - post 2)

wow, your so funny.....

they won't merge, it doesnt benefit GM at all, GM has 20 billion is cash so there is no need.....

recxjake
08-06-2006, 08:44 AM
At last, GM's strategy is making sense
August 6, 2006
BY TOM WALSH

Hardly noticed amid the chaos of surging gas prices, the collapse of midsize SUV sales and massive buyouts of Detroit autoworkers is a startling development:

General Motors Corp., for perhaps the first time since scoffing at the invasion of America by tinny little Japanese cars in the early 1970s, now has a product development and marketing strategy that makes sense.

If it works, as even some longtime GM skeptics think it might, GM could finally stem its slide in U.S. market share and halt the painful cycle of plant closings and huge job cuts every few years.

It would also tighten Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner's hold on the leadership reins at GM after a trying period of heavy losses and stinging criticism.

Wagoner is now taking a more visible role in touting GM's new product and sales approach. He is expected to announce later this week that GM will build Chevrolet Camaro muscle cars again.

Here are more signs that the times are indeed a-changing:

• GM has some strong-selling passenger cars, after years of being clobbered in this segment by Toyota, Honda and other rivals. Sales of the Pontiac G6 are up 45% so far this year; the Chevrolet Impala is up 21% and the Cobalt up 10%.

• GM has reduced spending on rebates and other incentive gimmicks by $1,100 per car this year, the most in the industry.

• Residual value, the measure of how much a vehicle is worth after several years of use, has risen smartly for GM cars and trucks in recent years, enabling GM to narrow the substantial gaps that previously gave Japanese automakers a huge advantage in pricing vehicle leases.

• GM executives are resolved to stop throwing good money into failed products or shrinking vehicle segments. Therefore, even though the company has not yet killed these models, don't hold your breath waiting for new versions of GM minivans or even GM's stalwart midsize SUVs, the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy.

Instead, GM will spin variations off its new midsize crossover architecture to create seven-passenger vehicles with car-like handling and 25-m.p.g. highway fuel economy.

GM's top brass have discarded the foolhardy notion that their company -- or any other -- can dominate the U.S. auto market as GM did in its heyday. As recently as 1980, GM sold 45% of all cars and trucks in the United States; so far this year, it's about 24%.

"We were skeptical," Sundaram said, when GM pledged in January to cut back on incentives after years of being the industry leader in fire-sale tactics. "But they are doing pretty well in sticking to it."

GM isn't stopping all sales promotions. But its incentive spending per vehicle sold dropped to $2,836 in June, $1,100 less than in June 2005.

By comparison, Ford's incentive spending rose $365 to $3,870 per vehicle in June; DaimlerChrysler's rose $444 to $3,964, and Nissan's jumped $734 to $2,556, according to a GM analysis of Power Information Network data.

Keeping actual transaction prices closer to suggested retail prices helps an auto company raise the residual values of its products, which are expressed as a percentage of original list price. This, in turn, makes lease payments more attractive and enhances a vehicle's reputation for durability.

All that translates into big dollars. "A 10% increase in residual value of our vehicles is worth $1 billion to us," said Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president for sales, service and marketing in North America.

Two years ago, according to ALG data, the average residual value of a GM passenger car was about 35%, while industry leader Honda's was more than 50%. By early 2006, residuals for GM cars had risen to nearly 45% while Honda was still in the low 50s.

"GM still has some challenges," said Michael Robinet, vice president of forecasting for Northville-based automotive research firm CSM Worldwide. "They've been a bit late in replacing midsized SUVs with their new crossovers, for example.

"But they definitely have a head of steam in some areas. The new HHR is a pleasant surprise, and the new large SUVs are segment leaders."

GM also is taking steps to more clearly define its brands.

Saturn, for example, was known for a friendly dealership experience, but its cars were nondescript. Lutz has pushed GM designers to give Saturn a more European feel, with the Sky roadster and Aura midsize cars launched to warm initial reviews.

And what of Pontiac and Buick, long viewed as the weakest brands in GM's stable? As GM pushes dealerships together into a combined Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel, each brand's product line will be smaller and more tightly focused.

Look for Pontiac to emerge as the home for performance-oriented rear-wheel-drive cars, Buick as the place for elegant near-luxury vehicles.

Full Article: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2006608060659

phisherman
08-06-2006, 09:36 AM
my god, i've never seen someone so hell bent on spouting pro-GM propaganda

recxjake
08-06-2006, 09:39 AM
my god, i've never seen someone so hell bent on spouting pro-GM propaganda

ive decided i want to work for GM

StcChief
08-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Keeping actual transaction prices closer to suggested retail prices helps an auto company raise the residual values of its products, which are expressed as a percentage of original list price. This, in turn, makes lease payments more attractive and enhances a vehicle's reputation for durability.

NO what enhances a vehicle's reputation for durability is putting out a quality product that actually does last.

Bearcat
08-06-2006, 10:29 AM
wow, your so funny.....

they won't merge, it doesnt benefit GM at all, GM has 20 billion is cash so there is no need.....

I thought we've been over this :shake:

jAZ
08-06-2006, 10:33 AM
wow, you're so funny.....

jAZ
08-06-2006, 10:34 AM
They don't need to pay you... you handle ther PR for free already.

Bearcat
08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
wow, you're so funny.....

We've been over that quite a few times, too.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-06-2006, 10:52 AM

By the time you're able to legally work in this country little guy they will be long out of business. Now slow down on that Grape soda, we don't want you getting a tummy ache.

oaklandhater
08-06-2006, 10:54 AM

Its sad your picking such a short time solution. :)

RealSNR
08-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I've seen people masturbate in public over the Ford Motor Company, but not GM. Weeeeiiirrrdd