PDA

View Full Version : Major Alaskan oil field shutting down

KingPriest2
08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Major Alaskan oil field shutting down By MARY PEMBERTON, Associated Press Writer
44 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - In a sudden blow to the nation's oil supply, half the production on Alaska's North Slope was being shut down Sunday after BP Exploration Alaska, Inc. discovered severe corrosion in a Prudhoe Bay oil transit line.

BP officials said they didn't know how long the Prudhoe Bay field would be off line. "I don't even know how long it's going to take to shut it down," said Tom Williams, BP's senior tax and royalty counsel.

Once the field is shut down, in a process expected to take days, BP said oil production will be reduced by 400,000 barrels a day. That's close to 8 percent of U.S. oil production as of May 2006 or about 2.6 percent of U.S. supply including imports, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The shutdown comes at an already worrisome time for the oil industry, with supply concerns stemming both from the hurricane season and instability in the Middle East.

"We regret that it is necessary to take this action and we apologize to the nation and the State of Alaska for the adverse impacts it will cause," BP America Chairman and President Bob Malone said in a statement.

A 400,000-barrel per day reduction in output would have a major impact on oil prices, said Tetsu Emori, chief commodities strategist at Mitsui Bussan Futures in Tokyo.

"Oil prices could increase by as much as $10 per barrel given the current environment," Emori said. "But we can't really say for sure how big an effect this is going to have until we have more exact figures about how much production is going to be reduced."

Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore, said he expected the impact to be minimal.

"The U.S. market is actually well-supplied; crude inventories are very high," he said. "So while this won't have any immediate impact on U.S. supplies, the market is in very high anxiety. So any significant disruption, traders will take that into account, even though there is no threat of a supply shortage."

Light, sweet crude for September delivery was up 36 cents to $74.95 a barrel in midmorning Asian electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Malone said the field will not resume operating until the company and government regulators are satisfied it can run safely without threatening the environment.

Officials at BP, a unit of the London-based company BP PLC, learned Friday that data from an internal sensing device found 16 anomalies in 12 locations in an oil transit line on the eastern side of the field. Follow-up inspections found "corrosion-related wall thinning appeared to exceed BP criteria for continued operation," the company said in a release.

Steve Marshall, president of BP Exploration Alaska, Inc., said at an Anchorage news conference that testing in the 16 areas found losses in wall thickness of between 70 and 81 percent.

"The results were absolutely unexpected," he said.

Marshall said Sunday night that the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay would be shut down first, an operation anticipated to take 24 to 30 hours. The company will then move to shut down the west side, a move that could close more than 1,000 Prudhoe Bay wells.

Marshall said BP is looking at repairing, bypassing or totally replacing the line.

Only one of BP's three transit lines is operating. The third was shut down in March after 267,000 barrels of oil spilled, and BP is working on a bypass line for that.

While they suspect corrosion in both damaged lines, they can't say for sure until further tests are complete.

Workers also found a small spill, estimated to be about 4 to 5 barrels. A barrel contains 42 gallons of crude oil. The spill has been contained and clean up efforts are under way, BP said. "Our production while all this is in place is going to be marginal," said Will Vandergriff, spokesman for Gov. Frank Murkowski. "That presents some technical problems because it's a high capacity line and it's meant to be filled."

Vandergriff said he did not know exactly what potential problems a sudden drop in oil flow might cause the pipeline. Alyeska Pipeline Co. officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

A prolonged shutdown would be a major blow to domestic oil production, but even a short one could be crippling to Alaska's economy.

According to forecast figures from the Alaska Department of Revenue, a 400,000 barrels of oil per day production drop would mean approximately $4.6 million per day lost to the state. That is money going to both the state treasury and the state's oil wealth savings account, the Alaska Permanent Fund.

"That starts adding up to big bucks in a hurry," said House Finance Co-Chairman Mike Chenault, R-Nikiski. "It could start having a disastrous effect on the state as early as today."

BP said it was sending additional resources from across the state and North America to hasten the inspection of the remaining transit lines. About 40 percent of the lines have been inspected.

BP previously said it would replace a 3-mile segment of pipeline following inspections conducted after up to 267,000 gallons of oil spilled onto the frozen ground about 250 miles above the Arctic Circle in March.

House Speaker John Harris said it was admirable that BP took immediate action, although it's sure to hurt state coffers.

"This state cannot afford to have another Exxon Valdez," said Harris, R-Valdez.

The Exxon Valdez tanker emptied 11 million gallons of crude oil into Prince William Sound in 1989, killing hundreds of thousands of birds and marine animals and soiling more than 1,200 miles of rocky beach in nation's largest oil spill.

jAZ
08-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Let me be the first to say that I think this must be Bush's fault.

:p

chefsos
08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Great. Just...great.

And this:"Our production while all this is in place is going to be marginal," said Will Vandergriff, spokesman for Gov. Frank Murkowski. "That presents some technical problems because it's a high capacity line and it's meant to be filled."

Vandergriff said he did not know exactly what potential problems a sudden drop in oil flow might cause the pipeline.
What does this mean? The pipeline could collapse like an empty swimming pool if the pressure from inside is reduced?

blueballs
08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I spend half the money I make
paying the costs of getting to and from work

PastorMikH
08-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm sure that a mere 8% drop in US oil production (produced by a foriegn-based company BTW - BP = British Petroleum) will drive up our prices at the pump at least a buck/gal. The oil insudtry is licking it's chops at another reason to raise prices again I'm sure. Just when they were to the point that they were running our of reasons to raise prices for more record profits, What Luck!

sd4chiefs
08-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh Crap! A barrel of oil just hit $75.96. I see $80.00 by the end of the week. :shake:

Bowser
08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Donger will be around to explain once again why it's India's and China's fault that we're get dry humped at the pumps.

Frazod
08-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I wish I had a gig where I could get an enormous raise every time I f#ck up. :shake:

Herzig
08-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Donger will be around to explain once again why it's India's and China's fault that we're get dry humped at the pumps.

Yep...we've got 5% of the world's population but we use 40% of the world's oil production. How much has the value of SUV's decreased since the current oil crisis?

Bugeater
08-06-2006, 11:13 PM
"The U.S. market is actually well-supplied; crude inventories are very high," he said. "So while this won't have any immediate impact on U.S. supplies, the market is in very high anxiety. So any significant disruption, traders will take that into account, even though there is no threat of a supply shortage."
Translated: bend over, here it comes again

Bob Dole
08-07-2006, 05:44 AM
I wish I had a gig where I could get an enormous raise every time I f#ck up. :shake:

Bob Dole would have been pleased to just get a raise that covered part of the cost of living increase over the past year. Instead, they raised our health insurance premiums and effectively gave us a pay cut.

Bwana
08-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Oh boy, this will give them yet another excuse to job us again. :shake:

MichaelH
08-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Maybe they'll be forced to use all the Gulf crude we export to France for our OWN country.

Chan93lx50
08-07-2006, 05:56 AM
What? and no reach around!

jspchief
08-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Well, if we went to war for oil like the idiots claim, now would be a good time to start reaping the rewards.

bkkcoh
08-07-2006, 06:33 AM
2 percent of the supply totally stopping causing a $10 per barrel increase in crude. That is a total crock of SH!T...... :banghead:

Eleazar
08-07-2006, 06:37 AM
that's about the same drop in supply we had after katrina.

HemiEd
08-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, if we went to war for oil like the idiots claim, now would be a good time to start reaping the rewards.

Exactly!

I blame Nick Athan.

NJ Chief Fan
08-07-2006, 06:50 AM
f?ck bush f?ck osama and f?ck **** ima gonna use your bodies as gas

jidar
08-07-2006, 07:03 AM
I spend half the money I make
paying the costs of getting to and from work

Might have to swallow that pride and get a Civic.

Frazod
08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
The thing I don't get is how they could not have forseen this? Corrosion of 80% of the thickness of the pipe? You'd really think somebody might have planned ahead for that. Does it take more than 100 billion dollars to hire somebody to predict the effects of corrosion?

This sounds to me like Louie being shocked, shocked, I tell you! that gambling is going on at Rick's Americana Cafe. These turds have no vested interest in running things smoothly, effectively or correctly, because the worse they operate, the higher the price goes and the more money they make. Hell, they're probably doing a raindance trying to summon another hurricane right now. Bastards.

jidar
08-07-2006, 09:39 AM
This sounds to me like Louie being shocked, shocked, I tell you! that gambling is going on at Rick's Americana Cafe. These turds have no vested interest in running things smoothly, effectively or correctly, because the worse they operate, the higher the price goes and the more money they make. Hell, they're probably doing a raindance trying to summon another hurricane right now. Bastards.

I'm sure they predicted it, nothing lasts forever, it was just assumed that eventually they would have to shut it down for maintenance.

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I say it every time this shit happens. BOHICA actually stands for "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again."

Donger
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
This is unfortunate, but pipeline corrosion happens. It's not very good timing, however.

They'll probably release from the SPR, but I'd imagine at least a $0.10 increase at the pumps within a few days.

Demonpenz
08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Thats why i just stay unemployed. You get a check and you don't have to spend money trying to get to work

Lonewolf Ed
08-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Well, run for something during the next primary. Good luck!

Lonewolf Ed
08-07-2006, 11:09 AM
This is unfortunate, but pipeline corrosion happens. It's not very good timing, however.

They'll probably release from the SPR, but I'd imagine at least a $0.10 increase at the pumps within a few days.

They should raise it at least a quarter, you know, just in case there are some problems fixing the problem. Or a thunderstorm. Or whatever.

dred
08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
On a brighter note, this will bring a LOT of work back up to Alaska.

I was just up in Fairbanks 2 weeks ago for my highschool reunion and my friends were talking about the gas line that was suppossed to start being built soon.

This should add even more jobs.

(Pipeline jobs have always payed insane amounts of $)

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I filled up this morning on the way to work before the price rose. I have a trip home this next weekend and then up to gainesville the following weekend. Then up to Tennessee a few weeks later.

Damn gas prices. :banghead:

KingPriest2
08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
August of 03 1.52
August of 04 1.86
August of 05 2.32
July of 06 2.96

Brock
08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Thats why i just stay unemployed. You get a check and you don't have to spend money trying to get to work

Actually, that's not exactly why you stay unemployed.

Donger
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
They should raise it at least a quarter, you know, just in case there are some problems fixing the problem. Or a thunderstorm. Or whatever.

I'm just pointing out a fact. If supply is reduced and demand remains the same, one should expect a price increase. That's the same in any industry, not just oil.

Hydrae
08-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Even the AP can't get decent editors it seems:

"This state cannot afford to have another Exxon Valdez," said Harris, R-Valdez.

Demonpenz
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
We went to war for oil for bush. Now he got the oil he is creating a fake oil scare to raise up the prices for his cronies

Mr. Laz
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM

i imagine it's perfect timing for the oil companies

MichaelH
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM

yep, the record profits they showed last quarter were unacceptable.

Donger
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Even the AP can't get decent editors it seems:

He's the representative from the Valdez area.

Donger
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM

You think they would intentionally disrupt supply of their primary raw material?

Mr. Laz
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM

say hello to $4.00 per gallon

say hello to historical profits for the oil companies

Donger
08-07-2006, 11:47 AM

What was unacceptable about it?

jidar
08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
What was unacceptable about it?

give it up. These are the same yodels saying this crap everytime, they aren't going to learn.

PastorMikH
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Looking more like about 65 cents a gallon here by the end of the week based on what reports are saying that stem from the suppliers to the stations.

But rest assured, the oil industry will still be posting record profits thanks to the consumer's generousity.

Donger
08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Looking more like about 65 cents a gallon here by the end of the week based on what reports are saying that stem from the suppliers to the stations.

This disruption shouldn't affect the Midwest as much as California. I don't see the prices going up that much, unless something else happens (hurricane).

But rest assured, the oil industry will still be posting record profits thanks to the consumer's generousity.

Yes, they will. It's basic economics.

Chan93lx50
08-07-2006, 01:40 PM
say hello to $4.00 per gallon

say hello to historical profits for the oil companies

Hi

Donger
08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I just heard from a buddy that BP hadn't pigged that part of the pipeline since the early 1990s. They were relying on ultrasound instead.

Looks like that was a serious FUBAR decision.