PDA

View Full Version : "The Way We Hear It" from PFW - Chiefs

Kylo Ren
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
With an offensive line already forced to find replacements at both OT spots with the retirements of John Welbourn and Willie Roaf, we’re hearing Pro Bowl OG Brian Waters’ lingering foot problems have been a cause for concern in Chiefs camp.
Although it won’t be their base defense, expect the Chiefs to use more 3-4 looks this season, especially in passing situations. The Chiefs have been experimenting with moving first-round pick Tamba Hali inside to defensive tackle and getting Key­aron Fox more looks at an OLB spot as part of a 3-4 approach that offers more agility.
Word out of Kansas City is that both of the team’s rookie safeties, second-rounder Bernard Pollard and seventh-rounder Jarrad Page, have looked impressive in the early stages of camp and are gaining attention with some big hits. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to see Pollard challenging veteran Sammy Knight for the starting SS job.
Chiefs DT Ryan Sims has long been labeled an underachiever as a former first-round pick, but he showed up to camp in good shape and is getting in the good graces of new head coach Herman Edwards. “He's down to about 315 (pounds) and he’s moving well,” Edwards said. “He’s got a lot of energy in his body and is playing with a lot of confidence.”
Some offseason homework done by Eddie Kennison’s agent, John Hamilton, indicated that the 33-year-old is the 45th-highest-paid wide receiver (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest#) among the league’s 64 starters. That wouldn’t be a big deal if not for the back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons posted by Kennison, the team’s only proven wideout and consistent deep threat. Kennison is scheduled to make $2.1 million in this, the fourth year of a six-year contract he signed in 2003, but would like a raise. Kennison told reporters at the start of training camp that he believed he had exceeded the contract’s expectations and hoped to be compensated as such, compared to the many peers he has outperformed. “We’re still talking and trying to see if we can get something done,” Hamilton told PFW. “He signed the contract and needs to honor the contract, but we felt that his situation was extraordinary with the things that he’s accomplished since he’s been there, and that deserved a re-visit of his numbers.” Hamilton insisted that any rumors concerning Kennison potentially leaving camp are overblown, but don’t expect anything to happen quickly in regard to a new agreement. After getting Ty Law in the fold, the Chiefs’ next order of business is to sign TE Tony Gonzalez and MLB Kawika Mitchell to extensions before they become free agents after the 2006 season.
=====================

Nothing we really didn't already know.

Archie Bunker
08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Waters injury scares me as does the thought of Hali playing NT in a 3-4.

foxman
08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Figures. We finaly start to put together a defense and our offense is in jeopardy because the o-line is falling apart.

Sucks to have been able to enjoy this longevity of offensive power and line continuity but still not meet our ultimate goal.

Oh well, heres to hoping our line can come together and gell enough to make a us forget about these concerns.

noa
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I definitely don't want to see Hali playing DT. He's way too small.

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
According to my NFL Head Coach season, we don't need Kennison anymore. Samie Parker had a breakout year, led the Chiefs with over 1,400 yards. In 2007, he's a stud receiver -- with one game left is leading the league with over 1,700 yards.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Holthus said Waters' foot will be fine...

StcChief
08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
PFW so take it for what it's worth.

BigRedChief
08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I definitely don't want to see Hali playing DT. He's way too small.

New Chiefs depth chart has him in front of Eric Hicks

Lurch
08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I sure hope he's wrong about Waters, and the O-Line...

JimNasium
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
They are not talking about Hali playing NT. What would happen in the 3-4 is Hali would move inside and Fox would play outside of the tackle. I'm assuming that one of the DTs would play over the center.

Bob Dole
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Based on footage from his college performances, Hali needs space to be effective. Until he puts on some weight, he's going to get punked if he doesn't have space.

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Based on footage from his college performances, Hali needs space to be effective. Until he puts on some weight, he's going to get punked if he doesn't have space.
Like... Ashton Kutcher punked or Sid and Nancy punked?

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 12:19 PM

The fact that he can be effective at all, even if there are caveats, means he's an upgrade over Hicks.

buddha
08-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Very true. Eric Hicks has shown the ability to do nothing well over the course of several years. Almost anybody would be a serious upgrade at that position. Hali will be fine.

Chan93lx50
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Hmmm, I am still more worried about our D-line rather than our O-line.

There might be some jelling issues with the O-line this season, but they will be blocking for LJ whom will have fresh legs and do alot of the work early in the season. As the season goes on the o-line should be stout and the rest of our O should open back up.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Hmmm, I am still more worried about our D-line rather than our O-line.

There might be some jelling issues with the O-line this season, but they will be blocking for LJ whom will have fresh legs and do alot of the work early in the season. As the season goes on the o-line should be stout and the rest of our O should open back up.

I'm not real worried about either.

It sounds like Turley is doing great by all accounts, and the d-line is gonna respond to Krumrie in a big way.

sedated
08-07-2006, 01:26 PM
They are not talking about Hali playing NT. What would happen in the 3-4 is Hali would move inside and Fox would play outside of the tackle. I'm assuming that one of the DTs would play over the center.

this post makes no sense

if Hali moves inside, he would be playing NT in the 3-4

what does Fox have to do with where Hali lines up?

Cartman
08-07-2006, 01:30 PM
We are doomed. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Brock
08-07-2006, 01:30 PM
this post makes no sense

:drool:

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
this post makes no sense

The 4-3 we run uses a NT and a 3-technique tackle. The DE in this alignment generally plays the 5 (or 6) technique, outside the tackle but inside the TE. (The 5 and 6 technique use the same gap, but 5 is closer to the OT and 6 is closer to the TE).

By suggesting they would "move him inside" in the 3-4, they're likely talking about moving him to a 4-technique (inside the OT, but closer to the tackle than the OG). They're not talking about lining him up as a defensive tackle.

And Fox (or more likely Bell, in this specific alignment) would then line-up at the 6 technique or even farther out and rush the passer from a 3-point stance.

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not real worried about either.

It sounds like Turley is doing great by all accounts, and the d-line is gonna respond to Krumrie in a big way.

Agreed.

Turley got the morning off, and as far as Krumrie is concerned.....

Dude was nuts at the morning practice.....I think he worked harder hollering than the players did during drills.

Gotta good laugh this morning when he had Sims do a drill again:

"Do it again! That's horseshit!"