PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil to announce this fall

BigChiefFan
08-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Vermeil to call four games on NFL Network

(Aug. 7, 2006) -- Super Bowl-winning head coach Dick Vermeil will join Bryant Gumbel in the NFL Network broadcast booth for a pair of Saturday night games this fall and will serve as a game analyst for NFL Network's Insight and Senior Bowls.

Vermeil, who recently concluded a 32-year coaching career after five seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, has extensive broadcast experience working NFL games on CBS and college games on ABC from 1983-96. Vermeil also served as an analyst on Chiefs preseason television broadcasts from 1989-96.

"Dick brings the same passion to the broadcast booth that we have seen on the sidelines for years," NFL Network President & CEO Steve Bornstein said.

Vermeil will work Dallas-Atlanta (Dec. 16) and Kansas City-Oakland (Dec. 23) contests, while Cris Collinsworth will be paired with Gumbel on six NFL Network games. As a sportscaster at KNBC in Los Angeles, Gumbel covered Vermeil's UCLA team in 1974-75.

Vermeil will work the Insight Bowl in Tucson (Dec. 29) and join Mike Mayock on the Senior Bowl telecast (Jan. 27). He also will contribute to the network's coverage of the Scouting Combine and other select NFL events.

Vermeil began his coaching career as an assistant at Del Mar High School in San Jose in 1959. His first head coaching position was at Hillsdale High School (1960-62) in San Mateo, Calif. Vermeil worked his way through the collegiate and professional ranks as an assistant coach before taking over as a head coach at UCLA (1974-75), and in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles (1976-82), St. Louis Rams (1997-99) and Kansas City Chiefs (2001-05).

Vermeil is one of only four coaches in NFL history to lead two teams to the Super Bowl. His Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV while his Eagles lost Super Bowl XV. His UCLA team upset No. 1 Ohio State in the 1976 Rose Bowl.

NFL Network's eight-game "Run Up to the Playoffs" package begins on Thanksgiving night when the Kansas City Chiefs play host to the Denver Broncos at Arrowhead Stadium in the nightcap of the first-ever Thanksgiving tripleheader and will consist of primetime games kicking off at 8:05 p.m. ET from Weeks 12-17 of the NFL season.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Cool. I bet he slobbers all over Trent Green.

jidar
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
This will be interesting. Considering how much he's been shit on by those who remain, I wonder what his feelings about the franchise are.

Zebedee DuBois
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
I can do without hearing him.

An alterntive would be to listen to Lenny on the radio. (ala Gaz)

HemiEd
08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
This will be interesting. Considering how much he's been shit on by those who remain, I wonder what his feelings about the franchise are.

I suspect he will take "the High Road" as usual. No matter what all his detractors have to say, he is a Class individual IMO.

JBucc
08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Most of the players liked him I think(except for LJ), they just didn't like his practices.

jidar
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I suspect he will take "the High Road" as usual. No matter what all his detractors have to say, he is a Class individual IMO.

I agree with you, but he might not be as flowery as he might have.

KChiefs1
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
The NFL Network is becoming a MAJOR player in the NFL. I forsee them televising games every week pretty soon.

HemiEd
08-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with you, but he might not be as flowery as he might have.

You make a good point, I look forward to seeing what he has to say the first time Gunther is brought up or shown in a Close Up.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
The NFL Network is becoming a MAJOR player in the NFL. I forsee them televising games every week pretty soon.

The NFL Network IS the NFL. It's THEIR TV station.

The money from the other networks is the NFL's lifeblood. They better not look a gift horse in the mouth.

4th and Long
08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I can't wait to hear all the Vermeilisms ...
"It's a gift from Santi Clause."
"It's almost like it has Vaseline on it. It's slick."
"Turd Bird!"
"You can't intercept a sack."
"I bet he said, OH POOP!"
"If a frog had wings, he could fly."
"You Fricken Blow!"

BucEyedPea
08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Wondah if he'll cry? :p

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Wondah if he'll cry? :p

Imagine the tears if the Chiefs played the Rams or Eagles, and he had to call the game....

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
"Turd Bird!"
"You Fricken Blow!"

Craphonso has a boo-boo.......

noa
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
"Turd Bird!"
"You Fricken Blow!"

Plus, "They real d!cked the other team there"

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I should send the network my Vermeil movie!

Frazod
08-07-2006, 05:44 PM

I'll go one step further and say I don't want that sonofabitch anywhere near the team, nor do I ever want to hear his voice or see his image again in my life.

Mr. Defenseless can kiss my ass. 4321

4th and Long
08-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I'll go one step further and say I don't want that sonofabitch anywhere near the team, nor do I ever want to hear his voice or see his image again in my life.

Mr. Defenseless can kiss my ass. 4321
Someone's still bitter. ROFL

Let it go, brutha'. All that poison in your system is bad for you. :D

CoMoChief
08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Dick used to make people fall asleep when he broadcasted for NCAA games. It wont surprise me if he does the same here as well.

Manila-Chief
08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Question is ... is he HOF worthy?

I say no, coz his won/loss record is not HOF material. Yes, he lead a tem to the S.B. and won one but didn't win enough games. Look how long it took Hank to get in.

Frazod
08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Someone's still bitter. ROFL

Let it go, brutha'. All that poison in your system is bad for you. :D

Shit, I'm still seething over '97, and you expect me to get over '03-'05?

:cuss:

4th and Long
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Shit, I'm still seething over '97, and you expect me to get over '03-'05?

:cuss:
ROFL

You are a man who is still filled with anger about this topic. Every time I see you post about it, I have a certain musical score in my head, as I picture you circling Vermeil with a large weapon in your hand, eyes glazed over, ready to make the kill.

Manila-Chief
08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm with you Fraz ... I'm glad he is gone. If his reputation was deserved he would have fixed the D 5 years ago and we would have won the S.B.

Frazod
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
ROFL

You are a man who is still filled with anger about this topic. Every time I see you post about it, I have a certain musical score in my head, as I picture you circling Vermeil with a large weapon in your hand, eyes glazed over, ready to make the kill.

Whatever that attachment is, when I click on it, it causes my browser to crash. Very annoying.

Much like Vermeil. :#

4th and Long
08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Whatever that attachment is, when I click on it, it causes my browser to crash. Very annoying.

Much like Vermeil. :#
That's odd. And you, of all people, would really get a laugh out of it too. Might I suggest you right click and "save as" instead?

Frazod
08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
That's odd. And you, of all people, would really get a laugh out of it too. Might I suggest you right click and "save as" instead?

That worked. Awesome. Being the Trek geek that I am, I instantly recognized it, too. :D

4th and Long
08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
That worked. Awesome. Being the Trek geek that I am, I instantly recognized it, too. :D
Outstanding. My work here is done. :)

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
BREEEEEEEEEEE BA-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

FloridaMan88
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm sure Vermeil (who haters on this board always forget HAS a Super Bowl ring) will be yawning at Herm's Martyball wannabe garbage just like everyone else will.

Moooo
08-07-2006, 09:14 PM

I swear by listening to Mitch and Len... You get a biased view of the game, which I like. I also like how when things aren't working, Len knows why, cause he knows the team so well.

Plus Mitch has an energy that no TV broadcaster is allowed to have.

Moooo

Frazod
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm sure Vermeil (who haters on this board always forget HAS a Super Bowl ring) will be yawning at Herm's Martyball wannabe garbage just like everyone else will.

I don't care if he has 50 rings, assclown. He certainly didn't win any for us. Are you a f#cking Rams fan? What he did for us was piss away one of the greatest offenses in history because he didn't give shit one about the defense. The greatest offense nobody will ever talk about outside of Kansas City because there wasn't so much as a single post-season victory associated with it. What an inexcusable, criminal waste.

He's the proverbial rabbit that got beat by the proverbial turtle. Wile E. Coyote with a headset. The punchline of the bad joke that's got everybody laughing but us. A tool. A clown. An aptly-named DICK.

beavis
08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I really hope he cries at some point during the game.

FloridaMan88
08-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't care if he has 50 rings, assclown. He certainly didn't win any for us. Are you a f#cking Rams fan? What he did for us was piss away one of the greatest offenses in history because he didn't give shit one about the defense. The greatest offense nobody will ever talk about outside of Kansas City because there wasn't so much as a single post-season victory associated with it. What an inexcusable, criminal waste.

He's the proverbial rabbit that got beat by the proverbial turtle. Wile E. Coyote with a headset. The punchline of the bad joke that's got everybody laughing but us. A tool. A clown. An aptly-named DICK.

Vermiel's time in KC only enhances his HOF-caliber NFL legacy. He built essentially from scratch a dominating offense, he orchestrated the trade to get Trent Green who is going to go down as the second best QB in franchise history (and he'll probably own virtually every all-time QB/passing statistic in team history before he's through), not to mention developing one of the greatest offensive weapons, Priest Holmes in recent NFL history.

Vermeil's only "failure" during his time in KC was his inability to overcome Carl's incompetence.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 11:48 PM
What a joke. Vermeil is responsible for shitty picks like Siavii and all the shitty assistant coaches.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - DICK is responsible for that ASSCLOWN GREG ROBINSON.

You want to bag on Carl? Bag on him for HIRING DICK.

MahiMike
08-08-2006, 06:48 AM

Unfortunately this is not a good thing. Pay per View NFL is also in the future. I predict it will be the downfall of the NFL... :banghead: