PDA

View Full Version : Band Of Brothers on the History Channel this week

Lzen
08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Starting Tuesday at 7pm Central. FYI

http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings_weekly.jsp?fromYear=2006&fromMonth=7&fromDate=6&NetwCode=THC&timezone=2&View=Weekly&fromTime=18&

Fish
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Awesome. Thanks. I've seen every one but 2, so I'll catch all of em this time.

Exceptional war series....

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Great series. I'll watch it almost anytime it's shown. Brilliantly filmed and cast.

To anyone interested in a fantastic World War 2 film, I'll also recommend "Downfall". It's a 2004 German production about the Fall of Berlin, and it's brilliantly done. Instead of just showing the last 10 days or so in the bunker, they take you through the whole battle.

It's as good, and as brutal, as "Saving Private Ryan" or "A Bridge too Far", IMO.

One caution- I can't find a dubbed version, and the dialogue is in German, so if you can't handle subtitles....you'll miss out on the Best WW2 film since Tom Hanks hit Omaha Beach.

Brock
08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Great series. I'll watch it almost anytime it's shown. Brilliantly filmed and cast.

To anyone interested in a fantastic World War 2 film, I'll also recommend "Downfall". It's a 2004 German production about the Fall of Berlin, and it's brilliantly done. Instead of just showing the last 10 days or so in the bunker, they take you through the whole battle.

It's as good, and as brutal, as "Saving Private Ryan" or "A Bridge too Far", IMO.

One caution- I can't find a dubbed version, and the dialogue is in German, so if you can't handle subtitles....you'll miss out on the Best WW2 film since Tom Hanks hit Omaha Beach.

That sucker was looooong.

JBucc
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
I watch it every Sunday when it's on. I've seen them all a couple times but I can't look away when it's on. It would be cool if the guys that did that would do a series like that based in the Pacific.

alanm
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
It seems like it's on about every other week any more. :)

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 06:12 PM
That sucker was looooong.

True. Ran about 2:45 IIRC. But worth it.....

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 06:14 PM
I watch it every Sunday when it's on. I've seen them all a couple times but I can't look away when it's on. It would be cool if the guys that did that would do a series like that based in the Pacific.

That would be good. Personally, I can't wait for Eastwood's two flicks about Iwo Jima- Flags of my Fathers, and Red Sun, Black Sand. Both should be brilliant.

CHIEF4EVER
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM

I would love to see that movie. No need for the subtitles for me.....original sprache ist sowieso besser.

Iowanian
08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I've been catching it on saturday or sunday mornings at 8am.

I dont' know why, because I've got the box set.

Adept Havelock
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I would love to see that movie. No need for the subtitles for me.....original sprache ist sowieso besser.

I grabbed it from Blockbuster, but it's also in rotation on one of the HBO channels. In a nutshell, it's an account of the last days in the bunker from the perspective of Traudl Junge (Hitler's secretary), combined with an excellent telling of Mohnke, Weidling, and Wenck's defense of the city.

Some of the scenes are truly chilling. Especially the Hitler Jugend being rallied to fight T-34's and JS-3's with makeshift weapons and Panzerfaust's. The scene that got me most was watching Magda Goebbels and her children, when she realized all hope for her twisted cause was lost, and her man-god planned on suicide.....I'm not ashamed to say that scene got some tears out of me.

Bruno Ganz is the most convicincing actor I've ever seen play "that paper-hanging SOB". The rest of the cast is almost as impressive.

One of the most realistic and unflinching ww2 films I've ever seen.

Huh...I guess there is a dubbed version, for those who hate subtitles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AABEKA/sr=8-2/qid=1155001597/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-0811328-0971000?ie=UTF8

And the original, in German:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RCPUC/sr=8-1/qid=1155001597/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0811328-0971000?ie=UTF8