PDA

View Full Version : Q/A's with Herm 08/07 ...Is Roaf coming back ?

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 8/7
Aug 07, 2006, 1:02:36 PM

Herm Edwards Day 11 - Windows Media | Real Video

TRAINING CAMP

HERM EDWARDS: “It was a little sluggish early which I anticipated when you give them a night off. But I thought the last couple of periods the tempo picked up.

“We’re starting to move some young guys into the first group and I think that’s important. I think they’ve earned the opportunity to go with the first group. Obviously, if you watched practice they’re playing different positions. For the most part, there are some young guys that have been here who have an opportunity to play a lot of football for us, and I think what you have to do is put them in position to go with the first group at times to see if they can handle it. That’s kind of how we’ll handle it in the pre-season, too.

“Young guys will play. Veteran guys will play a certain amount of plays this week. I’ve always done it that way. Certain guys you’re going to protect, but at the end of the day we’ll make sure that our veteran guys who are going to start for us will have enough time in the pre-season so there will be ready for the opener.”

Q: You have Ryan Sims in a rotation and now I’ve noticed the last few days that he’s been second team or third team. What’s going on with him?

EDWARDS: “Nothing. He’s doing a good job of competing every day. He’s realizing that he needs to be a consistent player for us. There are certain things we’re asking these guys to do and if they don’t do them obviously we’re not getting to them and that’s important to do.

“But for the most part, any coach is always looking for consistency from his players. I think Ryan is working on that, but he’s not working with the first team as much as he was earlier in camp. But he hasn’t quit working and that’s probably the most important thing: don’t quit working. There’s no starting roster at this point. You have to understand that. That’s what training camp is about: it’s about competing.”

Q: So he’s not getting the consistency that you would like?

EDWARDS: “No, he is, at times. We have real high expectations for him, and there’s a certain standard we want him to play at. We’re going to try and help him do that and he’s putting forth a good effort to do that.”

Q: Ideally, you don’t want him running down with anything but the first team do you?

EDWARDS: “For the defensive line — probably at the end of the day when the season kicks off – there are going to be six guys that are running on the first team. You’ve got to understand that because we’re going to rotate these guys. They’re not going to play 60 plays. It’s impossible for them given what we’re asking them to do. We’re asking our guys to run. Our defensive line is almost like linebackers. We’re asking them to make plays if the ball is anywhere inside the numbers, they’ve got to go run and pursue and make the play. It’s not like you take two steps if you’re a defensive lineman and say, ‘well you know what, I’ve done my job.’” That’s not true in this defense and this being said, you’re talking about 300 pound guys you want to sprint. They’re not built to do that so there will be a rotation you’ll see when the season starts including six guys and maybe seven.”

Q: So that it’s not a demotion?

EDWARDS: “No there’s no demotion. When you talk about starters – especially on our defense – you’ll realize right away especially with the inside guys like the linemen and the interior guys that they are going to rotate. Now, on the program you’ve got to list 11 guys, but at the end of the day when you count the reps a lot of those guys will have an equal amount of reps. They’re all going to play and that’s why it’s important for some of our starters to get in shape. We’re getting them more reps in practice because in the pre-season games, as you know, they don’t play a lot. And, if you don’t play your starters a lot they’re going to get out of shape.”

Q: How’s Casey Printers looking in practice?

EDWARDS: “He’s doing OK. He practices well and now what he has to do is apply what we’re asking him to do in practice on the field. In Minnesota he got a little out of whack but he’s a talented guy, got a strong arm, is a knowledgeable kid and wants to learn. It’s good to have and as the pre-season goes it’ll be fun to watch him cause he’s going to make a lot of plays.”

Q: What about Brodie Croyle getting back today?

EDWARDS: “He’s not ready to throw full-out yet. We’ll just manage him day to day.”

Q: Any idea when Michael Bennett will come back?

EDWARDS: “Probably won’t play this week. Probably next week he’ll be in the fray. He’ll probably do some individual stuff at most, but not a whole lot. A hamstring (strain) and we’re going to baby it; we don’t want the guy to come out and tear his hamstring and then it’s a real problem.”

Q: You talked all last week about a backup running back and he appears to be your guy. Doesn’t he give you capabilities that you didn’t have?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, because he’s a speed guy who can break the big run. He’s different than the guys that we have.”

Q: Does that mean you can expand your playbook a little bit?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but it’s a matter of plays. We’re going to have to put a package in him for when Larry needs a blow. That’s understandable. But our main thing is to get our young players caught up right now with what we want to do. He’s going to be a guy that’s going to have to learn our offense. It’s a big playbook.”

Q: You had yesterday off, so why did you give so many players the morning off?

EDWARDS: “Because some of them are one-a-day. Some will come back this afternoon. We know who they are and we schedule it that way. We’ve talked about it. Turley had a (morning) off today but he’ll come back this afternoon.”

Q: Is Craphonso Thorpe’s injury…..

EDWARDS: “He’s got a shoulder; he’s got to get well. I don’t know him because I haven’t been here long. He’s been a little bit nicked. But Maxy’s come back and Hodge, too. That’s good and we signed Shane Burton who was with me in New York at inside tackle. We were down on inside guys and he’s got a chance.”

Q: Anything new on the Brian Waters front?

EDWARDS: “He’s out this week for sure. I don’t anticipate him playing this week or next.”

Q: Have you talked to Willie Roaf yet?

EDWARDS: “I haven’t talked to him. I know he’s out of the country yet. I always say be patient. I was pretty patient with Ty Law and it all sort of worked out.”

Q: Who has impressed you from your young guys?

EDWARDS: “I think the safeties have kind of shown they’ve got something to them. I think Jeff Webb has a lot of potential and some young linebackers who have done a good job. Our first pick will be a pretty good player. He’s got a great motor. What we saw in college he shows he can do here, too. We’ll see how the season goes.

“I think Dee Brown is having a good camp. I saw something I needed to see against Minnesota. I saw some toughness. He’s a smart, dependable guy you can trust. I like him.”

Q: It seems you like you have a lot of interior linemen in there?

EDWARDS: “You’ve got to create competition and that’s how your players get better. I believe that and I think that’s how your players get better and your football team gets better, too. They’ve got to compete; they’ve got to work every day. No one’s making this team on default. I told them that. They’re not going to make the team on default. Whoever you are you are.

“At that position we’ve got some guys nicked. We went into Minnesota with only eight defensive linemen. In the preseason you can’t have eight defensive linemen and survive it. We need more guys there and we have some guys who are nicked and that puts all the burden on the guys that are working. You wear those guys out. Our tempo is not going to slow down. And when those new DB’s showed up today you had another pair of fresh legs. That’s more reps for them and less for the others.”

Q: John Browning wasn’t out there today.

EDWARDS: “He’s got a back (problem). He’s out for at least six weeks. We’ll see what happens.”

Q: Is that one of the reasons you brought Burton in?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, cause (Browning’s) hurt and we lost an interior guy. Generally, you dress seven (defensive linemen). If it’s real hot opening day and you play a team that passes a lot then you’ll dress eight because of what you’re asking them to do. You never know how many you’re going to dress. I’ve always done it that way. No doubt about it.”

Q: What do you remember about Burton?

EDWARDS: “Very, very tough guy, smart guy. Plays well with his hands. The year I was with him he had about six batted balls. It was kind of amazing. He does a great job of getting his hands up and knock balls down.”

Q: With Kyle Turley being gone from the game for two years, do you see him trying to find that mean streak when he played?

EDWARDS: “I don’t think that left. When you’re mean you’re mean. You don’t lose that. You got mean grandparents, they’re old and they’re still mean. I don’t think he lost that. He’s a tough guy and a mentally tough guy. For a guy who’s been out for two years he’s doing a good job of working his way back into shape. He’s a guy we’ve got to watch, too, because he’s a guy who won’t rest and you’ve got to protect him a little bit.”

Q: Is he a much more mature player?

EDWARDS: “No doubt about it. It ain’t even close and he’s been out of football for two years and that helps. Sitting on the couch and watching you say, ‘I’m still young; I can play this game.’ He missed it. He really did.”

KcMizzou
08-07-2006, 08:07 PM
More and more, I feel like he'll be back.

Might just be wishfull thinking.

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I wonder if that was suppose to read, He isn't out of the country..........

JBucc
08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
To this point I have beleived he really is retired and had no plans to come back, but more and more I'm starting to think he is coming back.

edit: So pretty much what KCMizzou said

Donger
08-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Q: Have you talked to Willie Roaf yet?

EDWARDS: “I know he’s out of the country yet.”

WTF does that mean?

JBucc
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
WTF does that mean?he's straddling the Mexican border

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
WTF does that mean?

Me don't know, maybe a comment from a mumbl'n bumbl'n Herm ?

craneref
08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I know one thing, if I had talked Will Shields into coming back for one more year with me and then changed my mind and left him hanging, I sure as heck would be out of the country too, and not come back unless I was ready to play some football!! GO CHIEFS!!

FringeNC
08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Does Webb have any chance of winning a roster spot, or is he headed to the practice squad?

R&GHomer
08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but it really sounds like Simms is trying to slip back into his old self. Good thing is, the coach seems to see it, and again, maybe I'm reading to much into it.

pr_capone
08-07-2006, 08:39 PM

EDWARDS: “No, he is, at times.
Sooo... he is definately consistent, but only sometimes??? :spock:

I think we need to get Herm a dictionary.

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
From a different chiefs site, one poster claimed...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Herm Edwards on Roaf (from 810) Did anybody else hear Herm Edwards's comments today on the possible return of Willie Roaf? They were interviewing him on 810am I believe, and I got the impression that there is a very good chance that Roaf will be back. It was similar to the feeling I got listening to Herm talk about Ty Law back in March...

Herm said he talked to Roaf, and that he is out of the country right now. He then made some comments like..."There's always hope"....or something like that. Then he said something like, "You know, we didn't end up getting Ty Law in here until the very end....so there's always hope, and things always seem to work out in the end".

If anybody else heard this, please correct my quoting, but I'm pretty sure that was what was said. Take it for what it's worth, but I got the feeling from his tone of voice that he knows something, and was trying to keep it under wraps, and at the same time, keep fans optimistic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another chimmed in .........

ESPN Cold Pizza today reported that Roaf isnt sure that his body is capable of handling another season. He will make a decision at a later date. But if he does decide to come back for one more year then it will probably be after training camp so he wont be up to snuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And another ..........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard that interview also. Too me it sounds like Herm knows more than he's letting on. I'm also counting Roaf out, so I wont be let down if he doesn't come back, but I'm not counting him out until Sept 9th. I think Herm feels that he coming back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jAZ
08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Q: So (Ryan Sims’ is) not getting the consistency that you would like?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

JBucc
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM

I think we need to get Herm a dictionary.ROFLROFLROFL That made me spill mountain dew on myself which in turn caused me to laugh so hard i peed a alittle.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 08:50 PM

I think we need to get Herm a dictionary.

He isn't the only one.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
ROFLROFLROFL That made me spill mountain dew on myself which in turn caused me to laugh so hard i peed a alittle.

JBucc has a lot of time to himself.

ROFL

KChiefs1
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I have it from good authority that Big Willie will be coming back in a few weeks.

milkman
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Hermie says a lot of things that make me scratch my head.

Like this;

Whoever you are you are.

HUH?

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Hermie says a lot of things that make me scratch my head.

Like this;

HUH?

At least he doesn't bitch about our schedule.

pr_capone
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
He isn't the only one.
I need spell check, not a dictionary. ROFL

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I need spell check, not a dictionary. ROFL

That would absolutely ruin the CP experience.

Geez.

pr_capone
08-07-2006, 09:04 PM
That would absolutely ruin the CP experience.

Geez.

Hey now.... if I had wanted your opinion, I would have given it to you.

I KEED! :D

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I have it from good authority that Big Willie will be coming back in a few weeks.

Care to speak freely ?

It has been mentioned and speculated that Willie is missing TC because of the wear and tear on his body. He did get injured last year in TC, right.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey now.... if I had wanted your opinion, I would have given it to you.

You can't give my opinion.

pr_capone
08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
You can't give my opinion.
I was kidding... thats why there was a big I KEED on the bottom of the post. lol

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I was kidding... thats why there was a big I KEED on the bottom of the post. lol

I saw it, but you said you could give my opinion.

Just another error that I felt I needed to point out.

FWI.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Shane Burton is Herm's version of Nate Hapslap-Shitdick.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 09:30 PM

He better hurry up. He's only got four weeks.

tk13
08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
They aren't even going to announce it. On opening day, a plane will swoop over Arrowhead and a parachute will come descending toward the ground... Willie will glide right into the stadium perfectly into his left tackle position, just in time to lead a Larry Johnson sweep around the left side for 82 yards and a touchdown.

JBucc
08-07-2006, 09:39 PM
They aren't even going to announce it. On opening day, a plane will swoop over Arrowhead and a parachute will come descending toward the ground... Willie will glide right into the stadium perfectly into his left tackle position, just in time to lead a Larry Johnson sweep around the left side for 82 yards and a touchdown.And it will be called back for too many men on the fieldROFL

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
They aren't even going to announce it. On opening day, a plane will swoop over Arrowhead and a parachute will come descending toward the ground... Willie will glide right into the stadium perfectly into his left tackle position, just in time to lead a Larry Johnson sweep around the left side for 82 yards and a touchdown.

What a shitty KO return from Dante......
:rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM

That's SO making it into my next highlight video! ROFL

OldTownChief
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
What a shitty KO return from Dante......
:rolleyes:

Block in the back.

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind... That wont happen until the 2nd game of the season.

Eleazar
08-07-2006, 09:51 PM

You'd need one of the parachutes that they stop the space shuttle with.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Someone needs to photoshop this...

DJay23
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
WTF does that mean?
I'm not sure where Herm Edwards grew up but that's Central Pennsylvania speak if I've ever seen it. Yet takes the place of the word "still"

"When are we gonna eat supper mom?"

"When dad gets home. He's at work yet."

DJay23
08-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Is it me or does anyone else have trouble reading any interview with a coach? Good lord, they could interview a tape recorder with a bunch of cliches playing on a loop and it'd be the exact same.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure where Herm Edwards grew up but that's Central Pennsylvania speak if I've ever seen it. Yet takes the place of the word "still"

"When are we gonna eat supper mom?"

"When dad gets home. He's at work yet."

"Greg Wesley sucks yet."

DJay23
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
"Greg Wesley sucks yet."
there you go!

Halfcan
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
John Browning will not make this team.

pr_capone
08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I saw it, but you said you could give my opinion.

Just another error that I felt I needed to point out.

FWI.

:banghead:

lol

Rain Man
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM

Without reading the whole thread, did anyone else get a chuckle out of this? "Is he consistent?" "Sometimes."

ROYC75
08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Without reading the whole thread, did anyone else get a chuckle out of this? "Is he consistent?" "Sometimes."

Yes, it was mentioned many times in the threads.
ROFL

htismaqe
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
The whole thing with Willie right now is coming from his AGENT.

His agent has been in River Falls for a week, meeting with Carl and Denny, trying to figure out a way to coax Willie out of retirement.

The agent wants his cut.

Willie is adamantly RETIRED.

sedated
08-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Q: Anything new on the Brian Waters front?

EDWARDS: “He’s out this week for sure. I don’t anticipate him playing this week or next.”

:shake:

not good

Chiefnj
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
The whole thing with Willie right now is coming from his AGENT.

His agent has been in River Falls for a week, meeting with Carl and Denny, trying to figure out a way to coax Willie out of retirement.

The agent wants his cut.

Willie is adamantly RETIRED.

It's been rumored elsewhere that Willie has changed his phone and cell phone numbers as not to be bothered by teammates begging him to come back.