PDA

View Full Version : For the NFL purists...are you going to watch?

KCTitus
12-13-2000, 10:14 AM
The XFL? I have to admit when I first heard of this league I thought it would be nothing more than a mockery of pure football.

Although the talent pool will be diluted and maybe slightly above NFL Europe, I have to say Im intrigued by some of the rule changes.

Most important is the football is live on a punt. This means no fair catches.

Second, a 35 second playclock. This is definately going to be interesting.

Like in college, only 1 foot has to be in bounds on passes.

Last, a players pay is performance based. Although the bonuses are only for winning, this concept does have potential.

I have to admit, Im going to watch. Obviously not with the same passion as the NFL, but with some interest.

[This message has been edited by KCTitus (edited 12-13-2000).]

Duck Dog
12-13-2000, 10:23 AM
Like most everything else, I'll take a wait see approach.

When I try and imagine the game, pictures of Captain Lou Albano(sp?) chewing out a ref keeps popping into my mind. Also, I read every player, coach and ref will be mic'ed. This leads me to believe the 35 sec play clock will stop for 'scripted' arguments. This will anoy me greatly.

If they keep the integrity of the game, which I don't see how, it may have a chance with viewers over 16.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

KCTitus
12-13-2000, 10:34 AM
So you think the outcomes among other things will be 'scripted'? I dont know if the players, whos pay, is affected based on whether they win or lose would go in for that.

Also, in the NFL 40 seconds is the play clock and you dont see a whole lot of screwing around. If they had 35, sounds to me like they want them to get up to the line and go quickly.

Duck Dog
12-13-2000, 10:39 AM
It's hard to say what they are planning. If they want to keep the 'WWF' image alive via football, I would imagine there would be a lot of clock stoppages so they can duke it out from time to time.

But then again, maybe it's just another spring football league.

------------------
~Duckaholic~

Duck Dog
12-13-2000, 10:41 AM
BTW, with a 'no fair catch' rule in place for punts, we should seriously start looking for one of those gutsy, son of guns, to return our punts.

------------------
~Duckaholic~

KCTitus
12-13-2000, 10:41 AM
My hope is the latter, of course. If this is WWF on the football field, it will be a joke.

Duck Dog
12-13-2000, 10:43 AM
If this WWF on the field, there will be a lot of injury's and it will be joke.

------------------
~Duckaholic~

Duck Dog
12-13-2000, 10:43 AM
Sorry, double post.------------------
~Duckaholic~
Shoot 'em in the lips

[This message has been edited by Duck Dog (edited 12-13-2000).]

Spott
12-13-2000, 10:46 AM
Since I'll have a local team to affiliate with(The Rage), I'll probably watch some of the games and may even attend since the prices are pretty cheap.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

58Forever
12-13-2000, 10:53 AM
Of course I'll watch...at least once...I said it last year when they first started talking about the XFL...I'll bet there are some scantilly clad women prancing around the sidelines...I'll watch for that reason if not other...

Seriously, it will be kind of fun to watch a football league that doesn't take itself too seriously...

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-13-2000).]

Idaho Chief
12-13-2000, 11:02 AM
KC,
Have you heard what the rules will be regarding pass interference and rushing the passer? If they loosen up on those rules also it could be really interesting.

I will try and keep an open mind.

Baby Lee
12-13-2000, 11:04 AM
Are you kidding!!! I heard they're encouraging the players to date the cheerleaders. I can't wait for the first TD celebratory 'bootie call.'

Fade route to the WR, . . TD!! Now it's time to back that A$$ up!!

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 12-13-2000).]

nmt1
12-13-2000, 11:07 AM
Hell yeah I'm gonna watch!!! It's football and it might be pretty exciting with the rule differences.
One other rule difference, no kicked extra points. The teams must pass or run for extra points.

Iowanian
12-13-2000, 11:08 AM
I plan on giving it a chance..I think it will be "AAA" football talent wise, but the game should be more like college...i do look forward to the "nitro girls" on the sidelines :D

I just hope its "kamikazi" football on the field...and leave the "entertainment" to the sidelines..(edited just for you nm) ;)

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 12-13-2000).]

nmt1
12-13-2000, 11:09 AM
Sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by nmt1 (edited 12-13-2000).]

nmt1
12-13-2000, 11:12 AM
Iowanian:

You should put the word entertainment in quotes.

Baby Lee
12-13-2000, 11:14 AM
Any word on whether or not they're gonna institute 'psych-outs?'

Brock
12-13-2000, 11:29 AM
I think it'll be legit.

Iowanian
12-13-2000, 11:48 AM
arena football sounded like a joke to me when it started...the players aren't as talented...but the barnstormer games were ALOT of fun to attend....and I watched Kurt Warner for several years before the nation heard of him...

just another place for the chiefs to "find" an unknown..