PDA

View Full Version : My Mankato/River Falls-Wisconsin Trip

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I just got back from a week in Mankato/River Falls/Wisconsin Dells and our whole family had a great time. This was our 3rd straight year of going up to Chiefs Training Camp and we decided to let the kids have some fun so we went to the Wisconsin Dells this year which was fun.

I will give some insight into what I saw and I will try not to duplicate to much from what DaveLane or Kotter reported on. Some of this maybe old news but I didn't have access to a PC all week so I apologize for being late.

I will also post some pics I took of our trip.

Mankato

1. Arrived in Mankato on Thursday and we went to the Vikings practice on Friday morning just to check it out. This was the second year we have went to Mankato and we really like it. The Vikings training camp puts the Chiefs camp to shame as far as activities and things to do.

2. We watched the D in the main stadium and to say the least I came away not very impressed.

3. The D-Line in push rushing situations really struggled to get to the QB. I don't think the 1's even came close to touching Brad Johnson during the 11 on 11. I think Johnson completed 99% of his passes against our 1's.

4. Our LB's are super fast and they are definitely the strength of the D. I personally think that DJ will have a great year and maybe a candidate for D player of the year.

5. Ty Law will shut down his side of the field which should make it easier for the rest of the D. During the 11 on 11 Brad Johnson would go back to pass, look to Ty's side first (left), then quickly pass to somewhere else. But when Ty came out and Sapp took over Johnson would throw to Sapp's side. It was kind of funny.

6. Greg Wesley sucks and I believe by opening day we may see Pollard and Page as the starting safeties on this team.

7. The Run D will be good this year. The Vikes only had one good run ning play the whole scrimmage and that was the first play. After that we shut them down. Hopefully we will not have that 1 big running play that seemed to plague us during the DV era.

8. During the 7 on 7 the Vikes had their way for the most part. The one good part of the D is that we will run very fast to the ball and hopefully we will tackle a hell of alot better.

9. The Chiefs O will be pretty good again, at least running the ball. LJ didn't play but we still ran the ball pretty good.

10. We have no depth at WR past Kennison and Parker. I think it is a bad decision to have Dante be the 3rd WR because their is no way he will be able to make it through the whole season. We really need someone to step up or get a veteran WR who maybe cut during TC.

11. Turley man handled the Vikes D Line and I am more confident that as long as he is healthy he will hold the Left Side down. IIRC Svitek was on the right side he did a very good job as well. I am no longer worried about the O-line...well I guess we will see on Sat. night if I am right or not.

12. After the scrimmage we went over to where the Chiefs get on the buses and got several autographs. Some of the players were cool others were not which is disappointing. We got Wesley, Dante, Trent, LJ, Kennison, Michael Bennett, and Samie Parker. If Eddie is mad about his contract he doesn't act like it, he was joking around with the kids and having a great time. Trent as always is a class act and LJ came off the bus to sign away from the crowd and we saw that and we got lucky to get a couple of things signed by him. LJ is by far the most popular Chief right now. Michael Bennett is the niceset NFL player you may ever have a chance to meet.

Sidenotes: During the scrimmage, Neil Smith was down on the sidelines and some one yelled that we need him to come back. He turned and laughed and then pointed at CP to let him know that. CP got a good chuckle out of it and they seem to get along fine. Neil looks like he could suit up and play.

I stood behind WeirdWolf at the Stone Cold Creamery after the scrimmage and had a nice talk. Of course he wasn't in his outfit and I didn't realize who he was until we took a picture with him the next day and he told me where we met. Cool dude.

Trip Sidenote: If you are ever in Mankato they have a pretty cool waterfall if you like waterfalls. It is located in their state park just outside of town about 3-4 miles.

RiverFalls:

1. We arrived in River Falls around noon was immediately disappointed that both of the pizza joints don't open until 5. :cuss: WE LOVE Luigi's Pizza. Damn I wish I could have some now.

2. The Chiefs need to do a better job organizing their family fun night, there is nothing to do but stand around waiting until they let the gates open to get autographs.

3. The Autograph session is way to short. These guys make millions of dollars so I think they could sign for at least 1 hr instead of 20 minutes. With that said I got everyone I wanted execept Tony G but he was not there. Ty Law came right to where we were standing and we were the first to get him to sign our football. Classy guy. I even got Herm and Gun's autograph. Luckily we got LJ's the night before so we didn't have to battle the 500 people fighting to get his autograph. I was surpised that Eric Hicks had a ton of people wanting his signature. There must have been 50+ waiting on him. I got Brodie Croyle as well. If I was a girl I would try to **** him.

4. Gun has a big mouth and is kind of unprofessional IMHO. He told us that 44(Page) was alot better than 29 (Knight). Now why would he tell a bunch of fans that? That is something that he should keep to himself IMHO.

5. The D played much better during the scrimmage than the night before. Maybe they just didn't have their legs underneath them against the Vikes.

6. LJ is going to dominate every game. He made 2-3 big runs and looked awesome doing it.

7. Turley and Svitek looked good as well.

8. Pollard and Page are really good and Pollard will definitely earn his nickname.

9. I saw Nick Athan damn he is a dork. :)

Wisconsin Dells:

1. This was the first time we have been to the Dells and if you ever get a chance to go up to Wisconsin I highly recommened it. I would compare the Dells to Branson but without the entertainment shows and everything has to do with waterparks. Every hotel has a mini waterpark or multiple pools. I haven't quite figured out what the obession with water fun is up there. I mean the temperature only gets to be about 80-85 and in the morning it is 70 degrees. We only stayed 2 days and I wish we could have stayed a couple more.

2.We met a nice couple in River Falls that went to the Dells prior to going to River Falls and they were nice of enough to give us their coupon book. Chiefs fans are the greatest and thank you to them.

3. The first day we got there kind of late but we were able to go to the Deer Park which was cool. We got to feed live deers and and I was able to feed a 16 pt buck. Pretty cool.

4. We then went on the jet boats through the Upper Dells and that was awesome. But if you go plan to get wet. We got soaked and the driver would go around 40-50 mph and then slam on the brakes and soaked everyone. Damn that water was cold too. We got to see some of the Dells and the rock in the Dells is over 5 million years old.

5. The next day we went to Noah's Ark which is America's largest water park and is consitently ranked 1 or 2 as the Nation's best waterpark. It didn not disappoint. We had a great time and the best ride was Time Warp and the Point of No Return.

Overall we had a great time and I can't wait until next year if the Chiefs do decide to return to River Falls.

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Chiefs crowd

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Brad Childress - New Vikes HC

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
DB's

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Surtain vs Koren Robinson

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
2nd team D

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
1 vs 1 7 on 7 drill

milkman
I haven't quite figured out what the obession with water fun is up there.

Maybe it's the lake shortage up there.

Mr. Laz
thanks for the input

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
1st team D

milkman
08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Gun has a big mouth and is kind of unprofessional IMHO.

I'm shocked!

Really!

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info. :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I I got Brodie Croyle as well. If I was a girl I would try to **** him.

:spock:

Iowanian
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Judging from your first pic....We couldn't have been sitting very far from you. I was maybe 5 rows up from ww and tightsfactor and 3-4 people into the next section.

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM
D

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Neil and CP

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:23 PM
D again

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
7 on 7

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Our top 2 draft picks chatting

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
LJ chillin

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Dynamic Duo

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
11 on 11 1's vs 1's

minus Trent, Tony G and LJ

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Law signing my football

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Gammon. He was surprised anyone wanted his autograph.

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
1 vs 1 Family Fun Night

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
again

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:33 PM
gochiefs :)

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Maybe it's the lake shortage up there.

They have a huge lake up there and the river runs right through there. I guess they just like water

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Judging from your first pic....We couldn't have been sitting very far from you. I was maybe 5 rows up from ww and tightsfactor and 3-4 people into the next section.

Damn I wish we all could have met up some place and downed a few.

Iowanian
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
you probably walked right by us....in the grass outside the visitor bleachers....stuffing food in the yungun.

dirk digler
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
you probably walked right by us....in the grass outside the visitor bleachers....stuffing food in the yungun.

Probably did. I had to get some hot dogs for myself but damn those Hy Vee Brats sucked.

Halfcan
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Excellent report, you should charge a premium-lol

Cormac
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Great report. Glad you had a good time. I was at the scrimmage a few years ago, when Bennett was a rookie IIRC. He was a class act then, glad to know he still is.

I'm surprised that Gun said that about Page/Knight. Makes me think all this hype about our rookie safeties has some truth though.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 11:21 PM

Mankato

2. We watched the D in the main stadium and to say the least I came away not very impressed.

4. Our LB's are super fast and they are definitely the strength of the D. I personally think that DJ will have a great year and maybe a candidate for D player of the year.

5. Ty Law will shut down his side of the field which should make it easier for the rest of the D. During the 11 on 11 Brad Johnson would go back to pass, look to Ty's side first (left), then quickly pass to somewhere else. But when Ty came out and Sapp took over Johnson would throw to Sapp's side. It was kind of funny.

....7. The Run D will be good this year. The Vikes only had one good run ning play the whole scrimmage and that was the first play. After that we shut them down.

....10. We have no depth at WR past Kennison and Parker. I think it is a bad decision to have Dante be the 3rd WR because their is no way he will be able to make it through the whole season. We really need someone to step up or get a veteran WR who maybe cut during TC.

....12. After the scrimmage we went over to where the Chiefs get on the buses and got several autographs. Some of the players were cool others were not which is disappointing. We got Wesley, Dante, Trent, LJ, Kennison, Michael Bennett, and Samie Parker. .....Michael Bennett is the niceset NFL player you may ever have a chance to meet.

RiverFalls:

1. We arrived in River Falls around noon was immediately disappointed that both of the pizza joints don't open until

5. :cuss: WE LOVE Luigi's Pizza. Damn I wish I could have some now.

2. The Chiefs need to do a better job organizing their family fun night, there is nothing to do but stand around waiting until they let the gates open to get autographs.

3. The Autograph session is way to short. These guys make millions of dollars so I think they could sign for at least 1 hr instead of 20 minutes. With that said I got everyone I wanted execept Tony G but he was not there. Ty Law came right to where we were standing and we were the first to get him to sign our football. Classy guy. I even got Herm and Gun's autograph. Luckily we got LJ's the night before so we didn't have to battle the 500 people fighting to get his autograph. ....

6. LJ is going to dominate every game. He made 2-3 big runs and looked awesome doing it.

7. Turley and Svitek looked good as well.

8. Pollard and Page are really good and Pollard will definitely earn his nickname.

Wisconsin Dells:

1. This was the first time we have been to the Dells and if you ever get a chance to go up to Wisconsin I highly recommened it. I would compare the Dells to Branson but without the entertainment shows and everything has to do with waterparks. Every hotel has a mini waterpark or multiple pools. I haven't quite figured out what the obession with water fun is up there.

Overall we had a great time and I can't wait until next year if the Chiefs do decide to return to River Falls.
:clap:

Nice report, Dirk.

The D struggled in Mankato, but I don't think they took the scrimmage very seriously. These first two or three preseason games will be more telling....

Still haven't tried Luigi's, but Steve's is damn good too.

I agree completely with your family fun night comments. If fans can make the trip to River Falls, the team owes those folks more than they are giving at this point.

Like you, I have few worries about LJ, the OLine, and the running game; but am concerned if Kennison and Parker are our only WRs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed something will shake out here in the next month to shore up that concern.

I agree about our Run-D, and Law at the scrimmage....that was funny. Johnson LOOKED, said "ah, shit....Ty is there; I'm looking elsewhere!"--it was so funny.

Sounds like you had lots of luck getting autographs. That's cool. And The Dells are cool. I haven't figured out why Wisconsin folks are so water obsessed either, but it's fun for families and kids....:shrug"

And it will be interesting to see what the team does now with River Falls....

Thanks for the effort. :thumb:

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:23 PM
So, dirk, did you get one of those big wheels of cheese like you see on TV?

Those look good.

Moooo

ChiefFan31
08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the update Man.

Always nice to read these first hand accounts of TC.

Rep!

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
So Gun basically told all the fans standing there "Sammy Knight sucks". That's um interesting....