View Full Version : Detroit Lions drop williams and rogers to 3rd string

Mr. Laz
08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
ouch ... that's gotta hurt

LIONS TRAINING CAMP: Williams and Rogers drop to 3rd string

August 9, 2006

Email this Print this BY GEORGE SIPPLE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
When Charles Rogers was held out of a recent morning of drills and Mike Williams spent another session doing repetition after repetition after repetition, Lions coach Rod Marinelli said not to read too much into his strategy.

So what to make of the first depth chart of training camp? Rogers and Williams are both listed as third-string receivers heading into Friday's exhibition opener against the Denver Broncos. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. at Ford Field.

Williams is slotted behind Roy Williams and Glenn Martinez. Rogers is behind Corey Bradford and Mike Furrey.

"That's how we're going to start the game," Marinelli said. "We're just making guys earn it and earn it. Guys are moving up, moving down. Good practice, a guy moves up."

But how does it look when two first-round picks are buried behind players who weren't even drafted?

"That's how we're lining 'em up," Marinelli said.

Although Marinelli says players can climb the depth chart, the question remains: Will Rogers and Williams ever reach their potential?

The Lions chose Rogers with the second overall pick in the 2003 draft, but he played little of his first two seasons after suffering a broken collarbone. Then he was suspended for four games last season for substance abuse, which led the Lions to try and recoup $10.184 million of his $14-million signing bonus.

Williams, the 10th overall pick in 2005, arrived at last year's training camp overweight. He played in 14 regular-season games, but caught only one touchdown. He also was fined at various times by the team for being late to meetings and injury treatments.

Williams has shown flashes during camp, but apparently not enough to warrant a higher spot on the depth chart.

His former coach, Steve Mariucci, said Sunday that Williams has "got to get with it" on the NFL Network during its Hall of Fame pregame show. Mariucci, who was fired from the Lions late last season, is an analyst for the network.

"Some rookies become professionals a little sooner than others," Mariucci said Sunday. "Just because you sign a contract, it doesn't make you a pro ... you've got to learn how to do it. And Mike has to learn that, he has to learn how to practice, how to be available ... and do what's asked of him. And they're going to give it a good shot. But they're counting on him because he was such a high draft choice."

MORE DEPTH: None of the Lions' recent draft picks are slated to start against the Broncos. First-round pick Ernie Sims is behind Alex Lewis at weakside linebacker and second-round pick Daniel Bullocks is behind Kenoy Kennedy at strong safety, instead of at free safety. Marinelli said putting Bullocks at strong safety gives him "position flexibility."

With Teddy Lehman out, Paris Lenon will start at strongside linebacker, ahead of James Davis and seventh-round pick Anthony Cannon.

Casey FitzSimmons will start at tight end, ahead of Marcus Pollard, who started all 16 games last season.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL: Former U-M head coach Bo Schembechler, who visited the Lions on Tuesday, isn't worried that Marinelli is getting his first shot as a head coach at age 57.

"He's been associated with good programs. He's established himself as a tough coach," Schembechler said. "Players that have played for him liked him and respected him. Let's put it this way, I don't think he's worried about whether he's a players' coach. 'Do they like me?' You know, I don't think he cares about that. I think it's a good sign."

It was hard to tell who enjoyed his visit to practice more: Schembechler, Lions radio analyst Jim Brandstatter, who played for Schembechler at U-M, or Lions executive vice president and chief operating officer Tom Lewand, who worked for Schembechler as a volunteer at U-M in 1987-91.

"He's who I learned football from," Lewand said. "He's truly a legend. He's done so much for our game and you can't help but have respect for all of the great head coaches who have done so much for our game, but personally I have a real soft spot for him."

For more on Schembechler's visit, see Page 8D.

NOTEBOOK: Offensive guard Barry Stokes (hamstring) and defensive end Cory Redding (groin) are day-to-day. ...After practicing in pads in the morning, the Lions were in jerseys and shorts in the afternoon.

sedated
08-09-2006, 03:43 PM
We should trade a 7th rounder for Rogers

Pierce
08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
If all of those guys reached their potential, the Lions would be LOADED at WR. It's really too bad. All of that talent - wasted (so far, anyway)

tomahawk kid
08-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Uh, yeah....I'll take Charles Rogers.

Mecca
08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
We could sure use one of those guys, maybe something will work out for us.

melbar
08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I'd trade Sims for either one...

Sure-Oz
08-09-2006, 06:13 PM
You think we could trade a late pick for either, esp Rogers.

JBucc
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
How many years does Roger's have left on his contract?

wazu
08-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd trade Sims for either one...

Sims + Siavii + Browning + 3rd round pick....for either one.

Adept Havelock
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Rogers? Hell no. If we needed an underachieving pothead at WR, we could just send QuickSsurfer to River Falls, and keep the draft picks.

Mecca
08-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Rogers? Hell no. If we needed an underachieving pothead at WR, we could just send QuickSsurfer to River Falls, and keep the draft picks.

We need a WR.......he has talent, maybe a change of teams would help him.

Adept Havelock
08-09-2006, 07:03 PM
We need a WR.......he has talent, maybe a change of teams would help him.

I don't dispute we need help at WR, but I'm far from convinced he's even close to being the answer.

He strikes me as the WR version of Todd Marinovich.... :shrug:

Kerberos
08-09-2006, 07:03 PM
If all of those guys reached their potential, the Lions would be LOADED at WR. It's really too bad. All of that talent - wasted (so far, anyway)

Money earnings aside.... Could YOU be motivated to play for Detroit the way its been run up there in the past 5+ years?

:shake:

Adept Havelock
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Money earnings aside.... Could YOU be motivated to play for Detroit the way its been run up there in the past 5+ years?

Longer than 5 years...and Barry Sanders did. Archie Manning did too, with a franchise in even worse shape than the Lions. Ever watch Art Still during his stint when we sucked? That's why they call them professionals, IMO.

Sam Hall
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Breaking News: The Lions should've drafted Derrick Johnson instead of Mike Williams.

CHENZ A!
08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
We should trade a 7th rounder for Rogers

I would definetly give up a second day pick for Rogers. I think if he were able to stay healthy he'd be the best of their three first round WR's.

CHENZ A!
08-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Breaking News: The Lions should've drafted Derrick Johnson instead of Mike Williams.

I have very high hopes for DJ, but as of now, neither has done much.

Except for absolutely murdering Plummer that one time. :clap:

alanm
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM

5+??? More like 50+

alanm
08-09-2006, 07:32 PM

What? were you expecting him to make the list of the 100 Greatest Players in NFL History his rookie season? :spock:

Sam Hall
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM

This very well could be DJ's breakout season.

CHENZ A!
08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
What? were you expecting him to make the list of the 100 Greatest Players in NFL History his rookie season? :spock:

Not at all, I got just about what I expected out of him, solid play with a few flashes of brilliance. I'm just saying that as of right now the choice by the Lions to not take DJ doesn't make much difference, although I hope and think that it will in the long run.

CHENZ A!
08-09-2006, 07:39 PM
This very well could be DJ's breakout season.

I hope it is, but slightly concerned because he is in his 3rd defense in as many yrs.

CoMoChief
08-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd rather have a different Rogers from the Lions. He plays on the defensive line.

Cormac
08-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't want Charles Rogers. Potential hasn't got him far yet. I was wrong about Mike Williams, it seems. I thought he was a sure thing, but he needs to get his head straight. It's Roy Williams that is the great player on that team. That guy should be a HOF.....if he ever gets out of Detroit.

Mecca
08-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Roy Williams has to not get hurt before he's anything............

The Chiefs are going to have to take a chance on a WR at some point. No one is going to give away a highly productive WR with no question marks.

Adept Havelock
08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd rather have a different Rogers from the Lions. He plays on the defensive line.
Indeed. I wish we could find a guy like Big Shaun. He has to be 350 at least, and moves pretty damn well for a big DT.

Adept Havelock
08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Roy Williams has to not get hurt before he's anything............

The Chiefs are going to have to take a chance on a WR at some point. No one is going to give away a highly productive WR with no question marks.

True. KC has had some luck with that in the past, at least for a few years here and there. Rison was a gamble, but played well for a bit, and Kennison has worked out nicely IMO.

Then again, they could be the next coming of Brett Perriman or Webster Slaughter.

Mecca
08-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Shaun Rogers isn't a cover 2 defense DT......huge fat guys who just road grade and stuff the run are not good fits for a cover 2.

jAZ
08-09-2006, 09:38 PM
... (DJ has had) solid play with a few flashes of brilliance.
... as of right now the choice by the Lions to not take DJ (and instead take Mike Williams) doesn't make much difference.
I'm sorry, but this is outright stupid-talk.

From DJ's bio on the Chiefs website...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/derrick_johnson/
"(DJ) heads to training camp as the Chiefs starting left outside linebacker … Became the first Chiefs linebacker to start all 16 games of his rookie campaign in 20 years … Earned the team’s prestigious Mack Lee Hill Award, (as) top rookie or first-year player … Exciting playmaker finished third on the club in tackles, posting the fourth-highest rookie tally in Chiefs history with 110 takedowns"

Compare all of that to Mike Williams' bio from the Detroit Lions site...

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=272&season=8
"He finished his rookie season with 29 receptions for 350 yards and a touchdown while playing in 14 games (four starts)"

That is Mike Williams entire list of "accomplishments" from last season. Literally everything else in his bio is either college, draft or other random information.

Williams hasn't done shit (other than get bumped to 3rd string) and DJ started all 16 games, won team rookie of the year, was 3rd in takles and 4th all time for rookies.

Not to be rude, but WTF are you thinking?

CHENZ A!
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Who else was going to be ROY? our punter? I'm not saying that I'd rather have Williams at all, I like DJ alot. Only that he hasn't done much YET. Mike Maslowksi led the team in tackles one yr, but zero of them were for a loss. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. Last yr DJ had an "average" yr. imo, but maybe I just have higher standards for him than most. It was a nice rookie yr, and I look forward to many more impact plays this yr and beyond.

jAZ
08-09-2006, 11:35 PM
It was a nice rookie yr...
It was among the best rookie season's in the history of our franchise.

I think your comment... ... as of right now the choice by the Lions to not take DJ (and instead take Mike Williams) doesn't make much difference
... says everything that needs to be said. Mike Williams is demoted to 3rd string (and is talked about as potentially being cut) and somehow "it wouldn't make much difference" for Detroit had they taken DJ?

You might have high standards, but that doesn't mean you need to make and defend nonsensical arguements.

chagrin
08-10-2006, 07:46 AM

Shaun Rogers dude, I agree - I like his play

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 07:47 AM
tss tss tss
Ahm Cha'hles rogahs
tss tss
I got 3rd string spot and no chance at touchdowns
tss tss tss
Ahm Cha'hles rogahs....

CHENZ A!
08-10-2006, 04:18 PM
It was among the best rookie season's in the history of our franchise.

I think your comment...
... says everything that needs to be said. Mike Williams is demoted to 3rd string (and is talked about as potentially being cut) and somehow "it wouldn't make much difference" for Detroit had they taken DJ?

You might have high standards, but that doesn't mean you need to make and defend nonsensical arguements.

I guess I don't really know what you're getting at. I was just responding to someone elses comment that "The Lions should have drafted DJ instead of Williams." I mean DJ started on a horrible defense last yr and did just fine, who knows whether he'd have started right away for the Lions or not, I'm not that familiar with their LB corps from a yr ago.

By the way, go Cats! I have family in Tucson, and spent my summers and spring breaks there growing up. I miss Ortege Jenkins and Trung Canidate. How do you think Stoops will have them playing?

Oh yeah, I heard that Lute has some stud PF or C coming in)MVP from the McD's game?), I really think if they got some decent inside play they'll be real tough. Williams is a stud, and hopefully Mustafah will play like a senior PG should.

Halfcan
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
And I thought the Chiefs had a hard time drafting WR's.

CHENZ A!
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
And I thought the Chiefs had a hard time drafting WR's.

The Lions fon't have a hard time, aparently they love to do it. ROFL

Sure-Oz
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
What are the odds of Rogers getting cut?