PDA

View Full Version : Kobe steaks really that good ?

chief2000
08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Anybody eat any ? Seems like it's just marketing by the Japanese who don't want to lose out to other countries. Called White steak because your eating alot of fat.

http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/wagyu.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

http://www.yama-beef.com/img/yp-gift.jpg

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't see how it can get any better than corn fed midwest beef.

58-4ever
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
They are pretty damn good. Last year on my birthday I ended up ordering one at Mushashi's Steakhouse in Oklahoma City. It said "market price", and I thought, "What the hell, I'm not paying, it's my birthday". It ended up costing my g/f 70 dollars!. ROFL

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Who in their right mind would buy Japanese beef instead of that from the midwest?....especially when the Japanese have been dicky about importing US beef.

MichaelH
08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
They allow the cows to drink beer. How bad could it be?

Fishpicker
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Kobe's steak house is decent but the cuts are limited. the show is good but costly.

Idahored
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Kobe beef isn't just from Japan. There is a Kobe beef ranch in Idaho. And although I have not had any, I'm told it is the best tasting beef you will ever eat. Why is it better than corn fed midwest beef? Because it has twice the fat content.

A quote from a chef friend of mind tells the story,
"Fat is flavor and salt is your friend."

Robio9
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Who in their right mind would buy Japanese beef instead of that from the midwest?....especially when the Japanese have been dicky about importing US beef.

Actually, a lot of the Kobe beef served in the US is grown locally. I once read that "Kobe beef" and "Wagyu" names have been licensed by American cattle farmers and that they copy the Japanese methods for raising cattle here.

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Check out this beef. The farm is owned by the brother of a friend of mine.

http://www.fatfreebeef.com/store/1-877-NO_FAT_BEEF/difference/index.html

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
There's a girl in Colorado that hates Kobe beef.

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I know feedlot guys that feed their cattle old candy bars in the wrappers, waste materials from beer makers and biofuel plants.

that doesn't mean I'd like my beef sponsored by Nestle.

I'll put a quality Midwest yearling, corn fed for 120 days against any meat in the world.

Donger
08-10-2006, 11:16 AM

That's the weirdest ribeye I've ever seen. I wonder how it tastes?

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
That's the weirdest ribeye I've ever seen. I wonder how it tastes?Defeats the purpose of choosing the ribeye cut.

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
That's the weirdest ribeye I've ever seen. I wonder how it tastes?

At some point I should order one. It's so healthy that it's like you're not even having a steak, but at the same time I thought that the fat is supposed to enhance the flavor.

I might buy some burgers from them.

Donger
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Defeats the purpose of choosing the ribeye cut.

Precisely.

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
If people really want a fat free piece of steak....they need to kill young deer and eat the tenderloins.

Bootlegged
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I didn't know he endorsed a steak. Interesting.

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Its kind of Ironic isn't it Lattimer. He endorses beef, but prefers to tenderise his own white meat.

sedated
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Had Kobe beef at Le Fou Frog in KC a while back.

wasn't bad, but it wasn't prepared like a normal steak, so it's hard to compare

vailpass
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a business partner who travels to Japan every now and again. He eats at a restaurant that has steaks imported from Iowa. Says so right on the menu.
$85 a steak.
I'm guessing you could get the same steak at HyVee for $10.99

jidar
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a business partner who travels to Japan every now and again. He eats at a restaurant that has steaks imported from Iowa. Says so right on the menu.
$85 a steak.

And apparently they would be employee owned. I heard that somewhere...

Bootlegged
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Its kind of Ironic isn't it Lattimer. He endorses beef, but prefers to tenderise his own white meat.

He likes to get his pork on. Yes.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes, Kobe beef can be "that good". Of course, it depends on the restaurant, chef, etc., but I've had amazing Kobe beef and I've had blah Kobe beef. There are quite a few incredible Japanese restaurants in Los Angeles that serve Kobe beef but it's very, very expensive, usually like $90 for a small portion. Many times, it's preparted like a Tuna Tartar dish - not so much like a big steak slab.

But when done right, it's definitely a memorable experience.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 11:38 AM

Go to a top steak house and order one then. Tasting is believing. People aren't paying a fortune for it because it taste the same. I will say this though. There is no major difference in Kobe meat when it comes to burgers. The only way it really taset that much better is when it is cooked as a steak and even then it has to be cooked right searing it first and then cooking at very high temperature to medium rare.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes, Kobe beef can be "that good". Of course, it depends on the restaurant, chef, etc., but I've had amazing Kobe beef and I've had blah Kobe beef. There are quite a few incredible Japanese restaurants in Los Angeles that serve Kobe beef but it's very, very expensive, usually like $90 for a small portion. Many times, it's preparted like a Tuna Tartar dish - not so much like a big steak slab.

But when done right, it's definitely a memorable experience.

It has to be seared or the fat runs right out of the steak making it not so special. It's best rare/medium rare. Sear and then high heat for couple minutes on each side topped with a little garlic herb butter. Thinking about it is making me hungery.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:42 AM
People aren't paying a fortune for it because it taste the same. People are stupid. If they have enough money, they'll pay for anything as long as you can make them think it's the cool thing to do.

Personally, knowing what I can get for $20, I don't believe there's a meal in this universe that is worth $80-$90.

Saulbadguy
08-10-2006, 12:05 PM
From what i've heard, it is the best you can buy.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
People are stupid. If they have enough money, they'll pay for anything as long as you can make them think it's the cool thing to do.

Personally, knowing what I can get for $20, I don't believe there's a meal in this universe that is worth $80-$90.

I get prime NY stip steaks for $18 a pound and they are outstanding. I cook then the same way I described. They are pretty damn good and I can't justify paying the difference. The American version is going to come down in price though over the next decade but it would have to hit the $40 or less per pound for me to justify the occasional splurge. As far as the $80-$90 pricetag is concerned I will spend more than that on rare occasion. We have a place that does a 12 course meal with wine pairings out here that is beyond belief for $120. For a special occasion I might consider going there again. I have only justified it once so far though for lil momma's birthday. Frankly the price of entertainment disturbs me more than food. Friggen $500 for good seats to a decent concert these days out here. I wrote off going to anymore but pumpkin wants to see Toby Keith this year for her birthday so now I have to try find some tickets. Just goes up my ass a mile.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
People are stupid. If they have enough money, they'll pay for anything as long as you can make them think it's the cool thing to do.

There are definitely meals that are worth $80-90. I've been to several restaurants where it cost $250 per person and was well worth the experience. Nine course meals, each with a specific wine pairing - there's just nothing like it. Of course, it's not something we do everyday but for special occasions, it's awesome.

And it's totally easy to spend $100 per person at great sushi place, even without drinks. And worth every penny.

And BTW, we're not stupid, nor do we think it's a "cool thing to do". It's a great dining experience. That's all.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
There are definitely meals that are worth $80-90. I've been to several restaurants where it cost $250 per person and was well worth the experience. Nine course meals, each with a specific wine pairing - there's just nothing like it. Of course, it's not something we do everyday but for special occasions, it's awesome.

And it's totally easy to spend $100 per person at great sushi place, even without drinks. And worth every penny.

And BTW, we're not stupid, nor do we think it's a "cool thing to do". It's a great dining experience. That's all.You forgot to mention how many famous people you were eating with.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 12:23 PM

And BTW, we're not stupid, nor do we think it's a "cool thing to do". It's a great dining experience. That's all.

You have a unique talent for coming across as a tool. I can't tell if its due to you getting your ass kicked or your ass trained at a young age but you certainly have that something special.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
You have a unique talent for coming across as a tool. I can't tell if its due to you getting your ass kicked or your ass trained at a young age but you certainly have that something special.

I think the only tool around here is you, jackoff. Excuse me if the subject pertains to food and food pricing and I reply with a comment.

sedated
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
ROFL

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM

I agree. It's like Iron Chef with wine pairings, Really awesome stuff. In a couple years the income should be at a level where I can do that more frequently. Fortunately where I live I get get a top notch sushi dinner for about $50 a head and get all the good stuff including a nice big plate of Toro sashimi.

HemiEd
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree. It's like Iron Chef with wine pairings, Really awesome stuff. In a couple years the income should be at a level where I can do that more frequently. Fortunately where I live I get get a top notch sushi dinner for about $50 a head and get all the good stuff including a nice big plate of Toro sashimi.

You eat raw fish? :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Not all sushi is "raw fish". Sushi is actually the name for the rice used.

Anytime anyone cringes when I say I eat sushi, I ask them if they eat bull testicles. I usually get a shrug and "Alright...you got me there."

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Nothing like good sushi. I am actually a big sashimi guy which is just the raw fish. I have introduced many people to it for the first time. I have only ran into a couple that didn't like it and those people were really weird about texture. They also were very picky people that basically only ate very few items all the time. If you are ever in my neck of the woods I'll take you to an awesome place.

HemiEd
08-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Anytime anyone cringes when I say I eat sushi, I ask them if they eat bull testicles. I usually get a shrug and "Alright...you got me there."

I did not know that. I have had Turkey Fries, but no Bull Nuts that I am aware of. I plan on trying Sushi sometime, just have not done it yet.

Nothing like good sushi. I am actually a big sashimi guy which is just the raw fish. I have introduced many people to it for the first time. I have only ran into a couple that didn't like it and those people were really weird about texture. They also were very picky people that basically only ate very few items all the time. If you are ever in my neck of the woods I'll take you to an awesome place.

Sushi must be good, to many people enjoy it for it not to be. I will have to try it sometime. I get there occasionaly and will take you up on it Big Daddy. I do a trip to Southern Cal every year for a week in February. We shut down our San Jose facility so I do not get to Northern Cal very often.

Reaper16
08-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Anybody tried Jack Stack's Kobe beef burnt ends? Heh. They're a catalog exculsive item.

HemiEd
08-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I recall watching a story about Kobe beef on the discovery channel. I do not think I will be buying any of it, the same reason I do not eat veal.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 01:14 PM
I recall watching a story about Kobe beef on the discovery channel. I do not think I will be buying any of it, the same reason I do not eat veal.

I didn't think they gave antibiotics to them.

sedated
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM

wtf?!

sedated
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM

mmm....there's nothing like eating baby

so tender :drool:

HemiEd
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I didn't think they gave antibiotics to them.

IIRC the Kobe calf is totally restricted on activity, bound. I guess this prevents the meat from getting tougher and promotes the marbleing (fat).

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
IIRC the Kobe calf is totally restricted on activity, bound. I guess this prevents the meat from getting tougher and promotes the marbleing (fat).

I know they drink beer and get massaged. Couldn't be too bad. :)

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 02:21 PM
$85 a steak.

I'd love to go to Japan and eat an imported steak. I'll bet it's incredible.

listopencil
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM

You should talk to your friend. He needs to tell his brother that his website is messed up. It lists "Low In Sodium" twice on the checklist.

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I've had sushi, but it's pretty cheap. At this place on College St., called Suho, you can get 6 sushi things for $6. It's decent, not better than a steak at all, and it sticks to the roof of your mouth. I'd take a burger over it anyday.

HemiEd
08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
mmm....there's nothing like eating baby

so tender :drool:

You are one sick ******, but funny.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I've had sushi, but it's pretty cheap. At this place on College St., called Suho, you can get 6 sushi things for $6. It's decent, not better than a steak at all, and it sticks to the roof of your mouth. I'd take a burger over it anyday.

That's not sushi any more than taco bell is mexican food. Come out to Cali and I'll hook you up.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I'd love to go to Japan and eat an imported steak. I'll bet it's incredible.
ROFL

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
That's not sushi any more than taco bell is mexican food. Come out to Cali and I'll hook you up.

Yeah, that's probably true. Maybe I will come to California and beat you and your dog in tae kwon do/jitzu. :p

How far are you from the Pacific? That's one vacation I want to take soon, even if you Califonian people freak me out.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
$85 a steak.

Japan imports a ton of our prime cuts. You're not getting prime for 10.99. $30 1 pounder maybe.

Saulbadguy
08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I doubt you can buy a prime cut of meat at a grocery store.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
give me a whiteface steer fed the right mix of salt sugar and protien anyday.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that's probably true. Maybe I will come to California and beat you and your dog in tae kwon do/jitzu. :p

How far are you from the Pacific? .

I hope you do get to meet him he's an awesome dog.

15 minutes away.

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I hope you do get to meet him he's an awesome dog.

15 minutes away.

Do you have a boat? Someday when a rich relative leaves me their $100 million dollar estate, I'm going to buy a nice boat, complete with a few two-person sailboats. Those are fun.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM

I can at the butchers. 18.99 a pound for NY Strip. It is very hard to get. If you go to a steak house your 1 pound of prime strip or Rib Eye typically runs $30 - $40 out here.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Do you have a boat? Someday when a rich relative leaves me their $100 million dollar estate, I'm going to buy a nice boat, complete with a few two-person sailboats. Those are fun.

One of the other partners has a sailboat. I go out on that occasionally. We watched fleet week on it one time. That was pretty awesome.

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
One of the other partners has a sailboat. I go out on that occasionally. We watched fleet week on it one time. That was pretty awesome.

Okay, I'm coming next summer. Get a room ready for me. Thanks.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Japan imports a ton of our prime cuts. You're not getting prime for 10.99. $30 1 pounder maybe.

Don't know about Cali but when I was living in Iowa I could buy a mighty fine steak for $10-$12. Look here (click 'meatshop' then 'steakks & chops') The prices listed include shipping:

http://www.iowacity.com/amanas/village/index.html

You could also buy a half side of beef for your deep freezer. Fresh, delicious hamburger, steaks, roasts to last the whole year through.

Here in Phoenix it is damn hard to find any decent meat whatsoever but the mexi food kicks ass.

sedated
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
You could also buy a half side of beef for your deep freezer. Fresh, delicious hamburger, steaks, roasts to last the whole year through.

and you get a tongue, too

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
You can also get the best sweet corn around. A dozen for $4. :drool:

MOhillbilly
08-10-2006, 03:46 PM

smoked toungue sammies are the shit.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 03:49 PM
ROFL None for me thanks. I thought that stuff was bad until I moved to Phoenix and saw tripe and menudo. :eek:

MichaelH
08-10-2006, 04:26 PM

Yes you can. We have two supermarkets in North Carolina that carry excellent cuts of beef. Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods have excellent cuts of beef. Maybe not midwest quality :rolleyes:, but very fine. :drool:

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes you can. We have two supermarkets in North Carolina that carry excellent cuts of beef. Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods have excellent cuts of beef. Maybe not midwest quality :rolleyes:, but very fine. :drool:

Prime doesn't mean a good piece of meat. Prime means the very best and we don't even have it our here in supermarkets int he richest areas like Draegers. I highly doubt your getting prime there although I suppose anything is posssible.

Saulbadguy
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't know about Cali but when I was living in Iowa I could buy a mighty fine steak for $10-$12. Look here (click 'meatshop' then 'steakks & chops') The prices listed include shipping:

http://www.iowacity.com/amanas/village/index.html

Here in Phoenix it is damn hard to find any decent meat whatsoever but the mexi food kicks ass.
Look up the difference between prime, choice, and select.

StcChief
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM

I'll Stick with locally grown beef/pork from a meat processor
thanks Keep your grocery store beef.

Saulbadguy
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Prime doesn't mean a good piece of meat. Prime means the very best and we don't even have it our here in supermarkets int he richest areas like Draegers. I highly doubt your getting prime there although I suppose anything is posssible.
Prime is the highest amount of marbling. I've NEVER seen a cut of prime available in a grocer. Usually CHOICE is the best you can get when dealing with the deli clerk, and select is what they have available in the self serve case.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Look up the difference between prime, choice, and select.You can get a USDA Prime steak in any Fairway in Iowa. Just last week I bought two 12 oz Ribeyes for $8.99 each

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 04:36 PM
You can get a USDA Prime steak in any Fairway in Iowa. Just last week I bought two 12 oz Ribeyes for $8.99 each

That's a ****ing GREAT price.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
That's a ****ing GREAT price.Fairway is famous for their meat. It's the only thing that keeps that chain alive. You could walk down every aisle and see no one, then get to the meat counter and there will be 25 people in line.

You also have to keep in mind that the beef probably comes from less than 50 miles away.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Prime is the highest amount of marbling. I've NEVER seen a cut of prime available in a grocer. Usually CHOICE is the best you can get when dealing with the deli clerk, and select is what they have available in the self serve case.

I'm well aware of the difference between prime, choice, etc. I am also well aware that you can purchase prime cuts in Cedar Rapids, IA at Fairway, Nelson's Meat Market on Old Marion Road, and Polena's Meat Shop in Czech Town. For $10-$12 a pound.

I don't know why this is so hard to believe. That area of the country is where corn fed beef comes from.

FWIW you can also buy pork chops that are as big as your head.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Fairway is famous for their meat. It's the only thing that keeps that chain alive. You could walk down every aisle and see no one, then get to the meat counter and there will be 25 people in line.

I wish they shipped. At that price it's worth paying for shipping. I haven't seen an online sight for reasonable prime cuts yet.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
FWIW you can also buy pork chops that are as big as your head.Most people outside of this area don't even know what good pork tastes like.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Most people outside of this area don't even know what good pork tastes like.

You should see the sorry excuses for pork chops here in Phoenix.
I'd give a pretty penny for a tenderloin from Jonesy's in Solon right about now.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
You should see the sorry excuses for pork chops here in Phoenix.
I'd give a pretty penny for a tenderloin from Jonesy's in Solon right about now.Every time I visit my parents in Texas, if I drive, my dad makes me bring down a load of pork. It's pathetic how bad the stuff is down there.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Every time I visit my parents in Texas, if I drive, my dad makes me bring down a load of pork. It's pathetic how bad the stuff is down there.
You mean they don't look like these Amana chops? :drool:

keg in kc
08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
That's just cruel, vail. Cruel.

Although it's not stopping me from eating french toast for dinner.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
That's just cruel, vail. Cruel.

Although it's not stopping me from eating french toast for dinner.
ROFL Now you know how I feel when you bastards talk about barbecue.

vailpass
08-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Perhaps the Amana filet mignon, stuffed boneless chops, and bacon-wrapped turkey tenders are more to your liking?

Chief Henry
08-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I"m off to the Iowa State for a couple of days.
My first food intake will be at the Iowa Pork Producers for a thick Iowa CHop. Then I'll head to the beef producers later in the day for a
BIG Ol' Mark and Gary Burger...mmmm Good. You can eat like a human swine at the Iowa State fair.

I'll have fried pickle later in the day with a funnel cake...Gotta keep your strength up for all that walking ya know. :p

vailpass
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
My first food intake will be at the Iowa Pork Producers for a think Iowa CHop. Then I'll
head to the beef producers later in the day for a
BIG Ol' Mark and Gary Burger...mmmm Good.
You can eat like a human swine at the Iowa State fair.

:thumb: Have a pork burger for me, will ya'?

Chief Henry
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
:thumb: Have a pork burger for me, will ya'?

Just one ?

jspchief
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM
The beef producers are featuring a beef sundae this year at the Iowa State Fair. You'll need to check it out.

ChiefFan31
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM

True Dat.

I am dying over here. Found a couple of BBQ joints, but you can just tell, its just not the same as some good ol KC BBQ or any BBQ made with Midwestern Corn Fed Beef :drool:

Jenson71
08-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Fairway is famous for their meat. It's the only thing that keeps that chain alive. You could walk down every aisle and see no one, then get to the meat counter and there will be 25 people in line.

You also have to keep in mind that the beef probably comes from less than 50 miles away.

Yeah, Fareway. Their produce isn't something to write home about, but they get great meat. And they're God-fearing, Patriotic, hard workers that close on Sundays.

Miles
08-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Look up the difference between prime, choice, and select.

I am pretty sure Whole Foods carries it but its definitly pricy.

HolyHandgernade
08-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I've had quite a few KC steaks that were damn good. For my anniversary one year, I ordered a Kobe steak. I'm sure it depends upon the restaurant, but that steak was incredible, by far, the best steak I've ever had. You can certainly have more midwest beef steak dinners of high quality for the same price, but if you really like steak, you owe it to yourself to indulge one night!

-HH

Sure-Oz
08-10-2006, 05:54 PM
I thought it was tube steak :hmmm:

Always a Chief fan
08-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I prefer to raise my own young black angus or black baldy steer, pump him full of grain and sweet molasses. Then kill his ass right on the farm, taken to the meat locker, and cut up into what I want. The hell with some jap beef. You should eat some of my steaks, they will melt in your mouth.

Mojo Rising
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I have US Kobe and it is the best I've had. $67 for a 22 oz Ribeye and worth every penny. There is also a local butcher that carries it for $19/lb. I have had the prime strips that BD mentioned and they are great. Not as good as the Kobe though. The butcher though is the best I've been to.

If you come all the way out from Iowa to stay w/ BD don't let him take you to Suburb-sushi. Make him drive you into the city for the good stuff!

TinyEvel
08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
F--- dat!

Give me a ribeye any day....

I took a buddy of mine out for lunch on his last day at work, took him to Korean BBQ, I'm buying...

He orders KOBE steak at $20 a pop for like 7 strips you have to throwon the grill yourself with tiny tongs.

THe bill was $120

:banghead:

He went away and came back to our office like 8 months later.
I was like: "Beotch! you owe me 60 bucks!"

MOhillbilly
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
I prefer to raise my own young black angus or black baldy steer, pump him full of grain and sweet molasses. Then kill his ass right on the farm, taken to the meat locker, and cut up into what I want. The hell with some jap beef. You should eat some of my steaks, they will melt in your mouth.

yup. nothing better. though i prefer a cross to purebred beef,just cause they are easier to manage imo.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I have US Kobe and it is the best I've had. $67 for a 22 oz Ribeye and worth every penny. There is also a local butcher that carries it for $19/lb. I have had the prime strips that BD mentioned and they are great. Not as good as the Kobe though. The butcher though is the best I've been to.

If you come all the way out from Iowa to stay w/ BD don't let him take you to Suburb-sushi. Make him drive you into the city for the good stuff!

The distributor for bay area goes to a place in San Carlos. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, large pieces with a large assortment or exotics. You certainly have the exotics up in SF. I tried the Italian sushi which is over the top but so is the price. I heard the best place in SF is Kabuto. I haven't been there yet.

PastorMikH
08-11-2006, 09:23 AM

I disagree. Shoot, I'll bet your steaks are tougher than an old tire. 'Course you are more than welcome to prove me wrong by mailing me a few to try.

:):):)

j/k

In college I worked on a farm where we few out our own beef. Those steaks were hard to beat.

chief2000
08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Just wrap some bacon around pure fat.

There ya go - Kobe steak.

BucEyedPea
08-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I tried the Italian sushi which is over the top but so is the price.
Well that sounds like an oxymoron. Tell me was it squid swimming in a bowl of minestrone soup? :p

Skip Towne
08-11-2006, 05:20 PM
In the 1800's they drove Longhorns 1000 miles to the markets in Kansas. Can you imagine how tough and stringy that beef must have been? Probably about like eating horse meat.

PastorMikH
08-11-2006, 05:40 PM
In the 1800's they drove Longhorns 1000 miles to the markets in Kansas. Can you imagine how tough and stringy that beef must have been? Probably about like eating horse meat.

But after that 1,000 they spent the next several weeks in pens at Abiline, then another couple of weeks in stock cars headed to Chicago, then probably another couple of weeks or so in pens again waiting for slaughter. They had time to rest.

BucEyedPea
08-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Didn't they eat a lot of stew back then?

That will soften it up. :)

HemiEd
08-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Probably about like eating horse meat.

Have you ever eaten Horse meat? I have, it was sweet and tender, very surprising to me.

sedated
08-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Have you ever eaten Horse meat? I have, it was sweet and tender, very surprising to me.

tastes kinda like cat

HemiEd
08-11-2006, 09:45 PM
tastes kinda like cat
ROFL Got me there, never tried Cat.

Braincase
08-11-2006, 09:46 PM
My first food intake will be at the Iowa Pork Producers for a thick Iowa CHop. Then I'll head to the beef producers later in the day for a
BIG Ol' Mark and Gary Burger...mmmm Good. You can eat like a human swine at the Iowa State fair.

I'll have fried pickle later in the day with a funnel cake...Gotta keep your strength up for all that walking ya know. :p

Dumbass left his wife home at the farm, and all them National Geographic photographers are stopping at your house askin' directions.

trndobrd
08-12-2006, 09:37 AM

Mmmm, thin sliced horse on some fresh bread with cheese.

When I was living in Europe I happened upon the meat counter at the grocery store. Right in the middle was a package of cuts with a big red, white and blue sticker with stars and stripes proclaiming "Choice Horsemeat from the USA"

Coach
08-12-2006, 09:39 AM

ROFL

Nice.