PDA

View Full Version : Julian Battle released

blueballs
08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
according to afternoon practice update
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=08-10-06pm.htm

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
This wreaks havoc with my theory that he will compete strongly for the nickelback spot.

Ultra Peanut
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
reposting to say

THE END OF AN ERA

KChiefs1
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
It's a sad day...

jspchief
08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I have to think this was done to make an example, but I wonder what Battle did to earn the coaches' ire. You can't tell me Julian Battle was the least qualified player in training camp.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
What a great draft pick he was......

CoMoChief
08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
He was trash, good bye.

People say that he was so athletic and was in the postition to start last season until his injury but guess what? Eric Warfield sucks and should have been a safety anyways. Any CB should be very athletic to play that position. I cant think of any CB in this league not named McCleon that isnt athletic.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I have to think this was done to make an example, but I wonder what Battle did to earn the coaches' ire. You can't tell me Julian Battle was the least qualified player in training camp.

Actually, I can't recall his name being mentioned at all so...:shrug:

blueballs
08-10-2006, 05:44 PM
MoMo was in the starting lineup

pr_capone
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I am crushed!

I dont think I can even watch the game on Saturday.

http://sighost.org/sigs/kcbat.jpg

Damn... he is already off the roster at kcchiefs.com :hmmm:

jspchief
08-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Actually, I can't recall his name being mentioned at all so...:shrug:Maybe he didn't recover from his injury.

All I know is I have a hard time believing that among all the schmucks we're carrying in camp, he's the worst.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Maybe he didn't recover from his injury.

All I know is I have a hard time believing that among all the schmucks we're carrying in camp, he's the worst.

Maybe he doesn't do things Herm wants, especially being a DB I could say that being a quick way to get cut.

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
And William Bartee strikes down another challenger to his kingdom.

58-4ever
08-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe he had sex with Herm's wife.

pr_capone
08-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Maybe he had sex with Herm's wife.

Who hasnt? She gets passed around more than recxjake's mom!

big nasty kcnut
08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Why is bartee still around can somebody tell me why this pile of scum is not cleaning ty law toilet.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Who hasnt? She gets passed around more than recxjake's mom!
Daaaaaaaamn!! :shake:

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Especially when we're carrying, what, 15-16 DLmen?

7 TE's?

Kyle Brown?

Mecca
08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Why is bartee still around can somebody tell me why this pile of scum is not cleaning ty law toilet.

He'll get cut too, I don't see where he has a spot on the team.

the Talking Can
08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Siavii is laughing so hard he needs a spit hood.

macdawg
08-10-2006, 06:09 PM
I wasn't expecting them to let him go, 3rd round pick in 03. Benny Sapp has always played decent & has awsome speed, good nickel corner, Herm said that the rookie safeties might play some nickel for us also, add in Lenny walls and several other guys competing for a roster spot and I understand its no loss, but its nice to get something out of a 3rd rounder.....

Last year Gunther said he was going to start for us, then he tore his ACL at that open public practice.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Just another bust in the wall.............

morphius
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Interesting, I think there were even a couple guys lower on the depth chart at CB. I'm not going to miss him much, as 'cause lord knows that boy was unable to cover without illegal contact.

Halfcan
08-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Nice one-can't wait til that sack of shit gets cut.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I really hope some other team will give him a shot at Safety.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Now for the list of guys we could have had instead. (yea, I know hindsight blah, blah, blah)

Chris Brown
Justin Fargas
Chris Simms
Artose Pinner
Domanick Davis
Bradie James
Onterrio Smith
Terrance McGee
Lee Suggs
Dan Klecko
Asante Samuel
Brandon Lloyd
Robert Mathis

Mecca
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I flipped out when we drafted Brett Williams instead of Brandon Lloyd in the 4th round.

Rain Man
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Just another bust in the wall.............

Actually, I think Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, and Willie Roaf have a much better chance of getting in.

Halfcan
08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=jspchief]Now for the list of guys we could have had instead. (yea, I know hindsight blah, blah, blah)

Onterrio Smith
]

Dammit Carl we could have had the Whizanator! :cuss:

jspchief
08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Dammit Carl we could have had the Whizanator! :cuss:Even wit h all his troubles, he still gave the Vikings more production than Battle gave the Chiefs.

morphius
I flipped out when we drafted Brett Williams instead of Brandon Lloyd in the 4th round.
Eh, I was just annoyed when we took another Safety/CB hybrid building project. I'm not sure when the Chiefs are going to get it that all College teams are not morons, and if they could actually play CB they probably would have been playing there.

Mecca
[QUOTE=jspchief]Now for the list of guys we could have had instead. (yea, I know hindsight blah, blah, blah)

Onterrio Smith
]

Dammit Carl we could have had the Whizanator! :cuss:

I recall the Whizinator, kicking our asses up in Minnesota a couple years ago.......

|Zach|
08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Dissapointing, I had high hopes for Battle when we drafted him.

Don't disagree with the decision though...

BIG K
08-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Eh, I was just annoyed when we took another Safety/CB hybrid building project. I'm not sure when the Chiefs are going to get it that all College teams are not morons, and if they could actually play CB they probably would have been playing there.

Exactly....

I remember the Chief's attempting to use Joe Horn (in TC) as a CB because of a log jam at wr in 97? The Chief's have been successful in transitioning some players to play different positions in the past but, other than Dale Carter, who I believe, if I remember correctly was a safety when they drafted him?, they have not had any real luck with the safety to corner transition....

shaneo69
08-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I wasn't expecting them to let him go, 3rd round pick in 03.

That's what happens when new coaches come in----they finally get rid of the sh*t that the previous regime drafted.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2006, 07:11 PM
And William Bartee strikes down another challenger to his kingdom.
good stuff ROFL

hypersensitiveZO6
08-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I saw this coming.

At camp he looked terrible.

Consistently was burned.

:shake:

KevB
08-10-2006, 07:49 PM
That's what happens when new coaches come in----they finally get rid of the sh*t that the previous regime drafted.

If that's the case, Herm's going to need a giant toilet.

hawkchief
08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Congrats to Carl Peterson on another fanstastic defensive draft choice. Yet another swing and a miss.

KChiefs1
08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Now for the list of guys we could have had instead. (yea, I know hindsight blah, blah, blah)

Chris Simms

I've heard this is going to be Simms coming out year.

Bob Dole
08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Congrats to Carl Peterson on another fanstastic defensive draft choice. Yet another swing and a miss.

[Bob Uecker]JUST a bit outside...[/Bob Uecker]

Mecca
08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
So that's now the 3rd and 4th round picks from the 2003 draft off the team.....

morphius
08-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Exactly....

I remember the Chief's attempting to use Joe Horn (in TC) as a CB because of a log jam at wr in 97? The Chief's have been successful in transitioning some players to play different positions in the past but, other than Dale Carter, who I believe, if I remember correctly was a safety when they drafted him?, they have not had any real luck with the safety to corner transition....
Of course I was told he was a CB by many people here after making my complaint, but... yeah.

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
[Bob Uecker]JUST a bit outside...[/Bob Uecker]

[Uecker]

Ball Four.....(Ryan Sims) Ball Eight.....(Julian Battle) Ball Twelve......(Junior Siavii) and Peterson has loaded the bases on twelve straight pitches!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-10-2006, 08:49 PM
So that's now the 3rd and 4th round picks from the 2003 draft off the team.....
I thought if you drafted a bust in the late 3rd round or later, it didn't matter. Atleast that's what Broncos fans have told me

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I wonder if he was that bad, if he pissed off the coaches, or if they were being nice, thinking someone might pick him up as a safety.

He looked aweful at Mankato.

blueballs
08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
do they put a nameplate
on their dormroom door
In memory of.....

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I wonder if he was that bad, if he pissed off the coaches, or if they were being nice, thinking someone might pick him up as a safety.

He looked aweful at Mankato.The more I think about it, the more I wonder if maybe he just hasn't recovered well from his injury.

Maybe they felt like they needed to get him off the payroll before something else happened.

I'm not necessarily suprised that he got cut, but I am suprised that he was the first guy cut.

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Thats why I wondered why....when it seems there are more likely candidates. Maybe they knew he was "done" and couldn't really offer much saturday....whereas some URFA could get a night in the lights and let people see him.

I'm sure they had to cut someone to sign Smoker.

Logical
08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
No suprise at all to me, of course I have been against Battle all along. Hopefully this will end the tweener Safety/CB project efforts.:thumb:

Iowanian
08-10-2006, 09:31 PM
we know. we know. Logical knew it the whole time...Carl screwed the pooch on this one and the Chiefs are doooooooomed.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:31 PM
No suprise at all to me, of course I have been against Battle all along. Hopefully this will end the tweener Safety/CB project efforts.:thumb:Maybe you didn't hear, but Holthus said that Jarrad Page is a likely candidate for the dime CB.

Glad I could help. :)

Moooo
08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Has anyone ever played Mariokart 64? If you go into the multiplayer, Mario says almost questionlike, "Battle?"

Everytime I saw him I had that fond memory. Now its gone...GONE!!!

:)

Moooo, who is torn by this

Moooo
08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Maybe you didn't hear, but Holthus said that Jarrad Page is a likely candidate for the dime CB.

Moving a Safety to Corner... This is a good idea! :rolleyes:

Seriously, did we not learn with Bartee?

Moooo

BIG K
08-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Maybe you didn't hear, but Holthus said that Jarrad Page is a likely candidate for the dime CB.

Glad I could help. :)....

Wow! an incredible hitting safety, and the Chiefs are going to discount his talents and maybe use him as a CB? The nightmare will never end, regardless of the coach....

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Moving a Safety to Corner... This is a good idea! :rolleyes:

Seriously, did we not learn with Bartee?

MooooOr Dale Carter?

Seriously, IMO this is a good move. They're only talking about Dimeback. How often do we run a dime package? It gives the guy a chance to get on the field for a few snaps per game. It's a good way to get him action without having to actually rearrange your depth chart, plus it's limited play so you're not putting as much burden on him or the defense.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:41 PM

Wow! an incredible hitting safety, and the Chiefs are going to discount his talents and maybe use him as a CB? The nightmare will never end, regardless of the coach....I think you're confusing our rookie safeties. Pollard is the hitter, Page is the athletic one.

ChiefaRoo
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM

He looked aweful at Mankato.

He had no heart. Remember two years ago when the chiefs were pimping him in the pre-season and he was quoted as saying "I'm not Jesus Christ". WTF Julian? He was destined to fail with that attitude.

I'm glad he's gone. The dead wood on the D is almost gone. Just a couple more majors POS's to go.

Logical
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
we know. we know. Logical knew it the whole time...Carl screwed the pooch on this one and the Chiefs are doooooooomed.I definitely don't claim I know it all the time. But I did on both Siavii and Battle and if you go back to that draft you would see me down on both those picks. Clearly I can be wrong I was wrong on Lj.

BIG K
08-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I think you're confusing our rookie safeties. Pollard is the hitter, Page is the athletic one...

Thank you for the correction. I am sure however, you understand the frustration in general......

Logical
08-10-2006, 09:49 PM

As a dime that is fine, just not as a primary CB.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM

Thank you for the correction. I am sure however, you understand the frustration in general......Yea, I do. In post #56, I layed out why I thought it could be a good idea with Page.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Or Dale Carter?

Seriously, IMO this is a good move. They're only talking about Dimeback. How often do we run a dime package? It gives the guy a chance to get on the field for a few snaps per game. It's a good way to get him action without having to actually rearrange your depth chart, plus it's limited play so you're not putting as much burden on him or the defense.

I'll go along with the argument of dime, but I still don't like the idea of changing positions like that...

I think Page is gonna be a dang good Safety. And I guess as long as this is a temporary thing since we have Knight and Wesley, I'll be satisfied.

Here I am, reserving the position next year for a guy who hasn't even played a preseason game... Aren't I the fool? :p

Moooo

Messier
08-10-2006, 09:52 PM

I know. Now if we could just get rid of those other wasted defensive Carl picks, Jared Allen, Kawika Mictchell, Derrick Johnson and Greg Wesley. Strike three! Hit the Showers!

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll go along with the argument of dime, but I still don't like the idea of changing positions like that...

I think Page is gonna be a dang good Safety. And I guess as long as this is a temporary thing since we have Knight and Wesley, I'll be satisfied.

Here I am, reserving the position next year for a guy who hasn't even played a preseason game... Aren't I the fool? :p

MooooIdeally, he takes well to playing the dime CB and as the season progresses the coaches gain the confidence to move him into Wesley's FS spot. FS in the Cover 2 is very similar to CB anyway.

While I'm a big fan of getting Wesley off the field, I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of replacing him with a rookie right out of the gates. This move could let him progress into the role.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I know. Now if we could just get rid of those other wasted defensive Carl picks, Jared Allen, Kawika Mictchell, Derrick Johnson and Greg Wesley. Strike three! Hit the Showers!Heh, do you really want to go that route? For every Jared Allen, there's two Eddie Freemans.

BIG K
08-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Heh, do you really want to go that route? For every Jared Allen, there's two Eddie Freemans...

You hit it on that one!

milkman
I know. Now if we could just get rid of those other wasted defensive Carl picks, Jared Allen, Kawika Mictchell, Derrick Johnson and Greg Wesley. Strike three! Hit the Showers!

I wouldn't put Wesley in the same group as Allen, Kawika and DJ.

Wesley is useless.

Moooo
Ideally, he takes well to playing the dime CB and as the season progresses the coaches gain the confidence to move him into Wesley's FS spot. FS in the Cover 2 is very similar to CB anyway.

While I'm a big fan of getting Wesley off the field, I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of replacing him with a rookie right out of the gates. This move could let him progress into the role.

True... And its a good way to keep 4 Safeties, which with the talent we have I believe needs to be done.

I just hope it doesn't mess with his ability to learn the Safety position at a professional level.

Moooo, who worries a lot

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't put Wesley in the same group as Allen, Kawika and DJ.

Wesley is useless.

Wesley has given us many years of quality ball... IMO if we had the chance to draft him again, I'd give a very high 2 for him, maybe even higher.

People don't get how much thinking a safety has to do. Second to a Middle Linebacker its the toughest position on defense to learn and perfect. He's done his job well, but now that he's getting older and his fundamentals are weakening, he can show the youngsters the way and bow out gracefully.

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
True... And its a good way to keep 4 Safeties, which with the talent we have I believe needs to be done.

I just hope it doesn't mess with his ability to learn the Safety position at a professional level.

Moooo, who worries a lot

We always keep 4 safeties....last year it was Wesley, Knight, Woods and Bartee. We've kept 4 safeties for as long as I can remember.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
We always keep 4 safeties....last year it was Wesley, Knight, Woods and Bartee. We've kept 4 safeties for as long as I can remember.Do you remember how many CBs we carried last year? Who was our Dime? McCleon?

What I was think is Page playing Dime could also be the backup FS, freeing up a roster spot.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:09 PM
We always keep 4 safeties....last year it was Wesley, Knight, Woods and Bartee. We've kept 4 safeties for as long as I can remember.

Duh, I forgot to count Bartee at any position, maybe its wishful thinking? :)

Boy I'm stupid tonight... I've been saying things and typing things that don't make any sense!

Thank you for enlightening me :)

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Do you remember how many CBs we carried last year? Who was our Dime? McCleon?

What I was think is Page playing Dime could also be the backup FS, freeing up a roster spot.

Uh......5 I think. Surtain, Warfield, McCleon, Sapp and Dwayne Washington yea 5. Most teams and the Chiefs for as long as I can remember have carried 5 corners and 4 safeties. Where I think a roster spot opens is we were carrying an extra LB/DE in Gary Stills who didn't really contribute there and he's not around anymore.

milkman
08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Wesley has given us many years of quality ball... IMO if we had the chance to draft him again, I'd give a very high 2 for him, maybe even higher.

People don't get how much thinking a safety has to do. Second to a Middle Linebacker its the toughest position on defense to learn and perfect. He's done his job well, but now that he's getting older and his fundamentals are weakening, he can show the youngsters the way and bow out gracefully.

Moooo

Wesley gave us two good years, and has played like a man in a coma since.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Wesley gave us two good years, and has played like a man in a coma since.

What 2 years were those? Honestly, he has always played like a guy with "potential" but has never truly put it all together at once. Hes not awful, but hes not real good either.

milkman
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
What 2 years were those? Honestly, he has always played like a guy with "potential" but has never truly put it all together at once. Hes not awful, but hes not real good either.

That's true.

His first two seasons he looked like a future bowler in the works, but hasn't played to that same level since.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Wesley has always gotten turnovers. That's what masked the fact that he sucked.

Messier
08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Heh, do you really want to go that route? For every Jared Allen, there's two Eddie Freemans.

Exactly! That is the point. Every team is the same way. Some work out some don't. Name the team the hits 90 or even 70% of the time.
I can name the team that hits less than 50 and more like 30% all of them.

kregger
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
That's true.

His first two seasons he looked like a future bowler in the works, but hasn't played to that same level since.
Somewhere along the line, he started going for the SportsCenter highlight reel and quit tackling like he did the first 2 years. He seems to now go for the "no wrap, I'm gonna knock you silly" contact.

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I really don't think he was 100% back. The times I'd seen him out and about he definately seemed to still be favoring the injured leg.

Furthermore, Battle should have been drafted as a free safety and he should have stayed there.

Bring on Page and Sapp as the dime/nickel backs. At least Gun can blitz with either one and Sapp standing five yards off the line won't be dead give away.

Logical
08-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Furthermore, Battle should have been drafted as a free safety and he should have stayed there.

...Well stated

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2006, 12:49 AM

Chris Brown
Justin Fargas
Chris Simms
Artose Pinner
Domanick Davis
Bradie James
Onterrio Smith
Terrance McGee
Lee Suggs
Dan Klecko
Asante Samuel
Brandon Lloyd
Robert Mathis

Fargas is made of glass.

Moooo
08-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I really don't think he was 100% back. The times I'd seen him out and about he definately seemed to still be favoring the injured leg.

Bring on Page and Sapp as the dime/nickel backs. At least Gun can blitz with either one and Sapp standing five yards off the line won't be dead give away.

How does the 46 work? Is this something that having a CB/S is good for, or is it more of a LB/S thing?

Just thought it could be something we used once in a while.

Moooo

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
How does the 46 work? Is this something that having a CB/S is good for, or is it more of a LB/S thing?

Just thought it could be something we used once in a while.

Moooo

It's great for stopping the run and actually our new safeties fit pretty well in it.

We might use it every once in a while but not with much regularity. An accurate QB will pick you apart.

Rausch
08-11-2006, 05:29 AM

We've had like ****ing 8 safeties for as long as I can remember, sometimes more...

StcChief
08-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Won't miss Battle. another that never panned out

Bootlegged
08-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Chris Brown
Justin Fargas
Chris Simms
Artose Pinner
Domanick Davis
Bradie James
Onterrio Smith
Terrance McGee
Lee Suggs
Dan Klecko
Asante Samuel
Brandon Lloyd
Robert Mathis

I wonder what our team would look like if we drafted Kiper's best available every year. I imagine pretty good. No SlyMo, Junior, Battle, Freemean, Trezelle, etc

ct
08-11-2006, 07:21 AM
I wonder what our team would look like if we drafted Kiper's best available every year. I imagine pretty good. No SlyMo, Junior, Battle, Freemean, Trezelle, etc

We'd have Mike Williams right now instead of DJ. No thanks...

jspchief
08-11-2006, 07:32 AM
We'd have Mike Williams right now instead of DJ. No thanks...Uh, no. Williams was still gone before we picked.

He meant if we had picked from the available guys.

I think the point he's getting at is while that list I posted has the benefit of hindsight, even at the time of the pick Battle probably wasn't considered the best guy available. Granted, you can't put too much stock in Kiper or any other draft "guru", but even as average fans we can recognize that some of these guys were taken ahead of higher touted prospects.

IMO, this is a Vermeil thing more than a Carl thing. Vermeil already had it in his head that the vets were better than any rookie he brought in, so he drafted accordingly. He took a bunch of project guys because he fully intended to keep them off the field while he molded them. Guys like Siavii and Wilson that were taken with full knowledge that they wouldn't compete for a starting spot, instead of guys at positions that could have used an immediate upgrade.