PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs | Thorpe on the bubble

recxjake
08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Chiefs | Thorpe on the bubble
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:00:35 -0700

TSN.ca, citing the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs WR Craphonso Thorpe is in danger of getting cut from the team.

cdcox
08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Crap.

noa
08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
This was his opportunity to step it up, and if he couldn't do it, then we are right to cut him.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm not surprised.....basically every report says all the WR's outside of the top 3 look horrible.

morphius
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
One has to wonder if he has a case of Snoop disease.

Loads of talent, and a complete inability to learn the O.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I like where this is going. Edwards isn't going to f*ck around with players that don't pan out simply out of some kind of loyalty because they were drafted.

As much as I had hoped Thorpe would pan out, I won't shed a tear for a guy that hasn't been able to do enough to unseat guys like Chris Horn or make a case for being the #4 this year.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
One has to wonder if he has a case of Snoop disease.

Loads of talent, and a complete inability to learn the O.

Seminolitis? :)

Moooo

recxjake
08-10-2006, 10:09 PM
kcchiefs.com has him at 4.... Is he having a bad camp?

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:11 PM
kcchiefs.com has him at 4.... Is he having a bad camp?Reports from camp say that after Kennison, Parker, and Hall, everyone is having a bad camp.

I wouldn't be suprised if we still made a move for a WR.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I like where this is going. Edwards isn't going to f*ck around with players that don't pan out simply out of some kind of loyalty because they were drafted.

As much as I had hoped Thorpe would pan out, I won't shed a tear for a guy that hasn't been able to do enough to unseat guys like Chris Horn or make a case for being the #4 this year.

Very much agreed.......If a guy sucks, he sucks.....there is no point in keeping him around and filling a roster spot.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM

Agreed, anyone know what free agent WR's are left out there as realistic pickups for us??

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Reports from camp say that after Kennison, Parker, and Hall, everyone is having a bad camp.

Yep. There is no way Dante will be able to make it the whole season if he is the #3 WR. We need to try to find a veteran WR fast.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Agreed, anyone know what free agent WR's are left out there as realistic pickups for us??

That will be a better question when teams start making cuts. No one is available when every team has 90 guys on its roster.

noa
08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Reports from camp say that after Kennison, Parker, and Hall, everyone is having a bad camp.

Is there anyone decent available?

tk13
08-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Er, Jerry Rice is available. :spock:

TinyEvel

Did NE release Diet Pepsi Machine? (don't laugh....)

morphius
Seminolitis? :)

Moooo
That was my thought

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Guys will become available....look at teams like Detroit and New Orleans, or hell who knows what happens with NE and Deion Branch.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Agreed, anyone know what free agent WR's are left out there as realistic pickups for us??I don't think it will be a FA, I think it will be a trade. And I don't expect it to be anyone real exciting. We have our #1 and #2, and the coaches still have a hard on for Hall. I expect it will be something like a journeyman #3 type of guy.

Fish
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm gonna make a prediction and say Jeff Webb makes the final roster.......

SLAG
08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I wish jerry porter would come here for leauge Min. just to spite Al Davis

Mecca
I'm gonna make a prediction and say Jeff Webb makes the final roster.......

I think he's going to the PS.....from the sounds of it, the 4th WR and 5th if we have 5 may both come from other teams.

milkman
Very much agreed.......If a guy sucks, he sucks.....there is no point in keeping him around and filling a roster spot.

I agree.

So.....uh.....Why is Siavii still in camp?

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I wish jerry porter would come here for leauge Min. just to spite Al Davis

Uh, he's still under contract to them that would require a trade....

Fish
I think he's going to the PS.....from the sounds of it, the 4th WR and 5th if we have 5 may both come from other teams.

bet a beer.....?

morphius
I agree.

probably waiting till he gets healthy so they can cut him without having to pay him an injury settlement.

Mecca
I agree.

Probably because he's considered "injured" if they wait till the end of preseason they can probably cut him without a settlement.

milkman
I don't think it will be a FA, I think it will be a trade. And I don't expect it to be anyone real exciting. We have our #1 and #2, and the coaches still have a hard on for Hall. I expect it will be something like a journeyman #3 type of guy.

Sounds like a Chris Horn type to me.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
IMO, St. Louis would be the ideal team to tap. They have 3 young guys in McDonald, Looker, and Curtis that have all been solid in spot duty. They've also all had experience in a similar system to the transition would be quicker. The Rams probably won't be as wide open in as in the past, so they may not feel the need to carry all those guys. The biggest hurdle may be that they know Bruce is getting old so they don't want to let go of a guy that might be a future replacement.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
We'd end up with Dane Looker who is a Chris Horn clone.....it'd be nice to have some actual talent at WR instead of guys like Dane Looker.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Uh, he's still under contract to them that would require a trade....

Exactly...and no way in HELL the Raiders trade him to a division rival. Same goes for Lelie in Denver.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
We'd end up with Dane Looker who is a Chris Horn clone.....it'd be nice to have some actual talent at WR instead of guys like Dane Looker.I agree, but we're not in the market for a #1 or #2 right now. We're in the market for a #4. I just don't see us going out and getting some stud, simply because that's not the role we need to fill.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Uh, he's still under contract to them that would require a trade....Yea, and it was a hefty contract. More than his production has ever dictated.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Where are Chris Horn and Bo when you need them the most??????

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Detroit has 2 high first round picks running 3rd team......I think that's a good place to start at looking at getting some talent without giving up much.

Judge Smails
08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I think TSN embelished that a little bit. Here's the Topeka article word for word:

WR out with shoulder injury

Second-year receiver Craphonso Thorpe is down with a shoulder injury. "He's got to get well," Edwards said. "I don't know him because I haven't been here long. He's been a little bit nicked."

Thorpe broke his leg in two places during his senior season at Florida State. He was on the practice squad for his first 16 weeks with the Chiefs and was active but did not play against the Bengals on Jan. 1.

Nothing specific about being cut, just that he needs to play.

noa
IMO, St. Louis would be the ideal team to tap. They have 3 young guys in McDonald, Looker, and Curtis that have all been solid in spot duty. They've also all had experience in a similar system to the transition would be quicker. The Rams probably won't be as wide open in as in the past, so they may not feel the need to carry all those guys. The biggest hurdle may be that they know Bruce is getting old so they don't want to let go of a guy that might be a future replacement.

Those guys are all speed guys and we have enough of that between Kennison, Parker, and Hall. I think we need someone big who can go across the middle to take some heat off of TonyG. Someone like Keyshawn.

dirk digler
I agree, but we're not in the market for a #1 or #2 right now. We're in the market for a #4. I just don't see us going out and getting some stud, simply because that's not the role we need to fill.

Holthus said on the radio he thinks Curry will make the roster and Herm said earlier this year said he was only going to carry 4 WR's.

I hope they can make a move to get a veteran WR.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3149117&postcount=10

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Detroit has 2 high first round picks running 3rd team......I think that's a good place to start at looking at getting some talent without giving up much.

Agreed....Williams or Rodgers....im sure at least one will end up getting cut. We would be better served to wait until the cuts roll up in a few weeks.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Detroit has 2 high first round picks running 3rd team......I think that's a good place to start at looking at getting some talent without giving up much.Yea, one's fat and the other is an oft-injured pothead. There's a reason those guys are running 3rd team. IMO they'll be over-priced in a trade because of their names, and won't be cut due to cap hits.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Agreed....Williams or Rodgers....im sure at least one will end up getting cut. We would be better served to wait until the cuts roll up in a few weeks.

Won't there be a huge cap hit to get rid of one of them?

Moooo

Hammock Parties
08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing he'll be cut in preseason if he doesn't live up to the hype.

ChiefsCountry
Chiefs need to stay away from FSU.

jspchief
Agreed....Williams or Rodgers....im sure at least one will end up getting cut. We would be better served to wait until the cuts roll up in a few weeks.Those guys aren't getting cut. The caps hit would be brutal. I'd be very surprised.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Yea, one's fat and the other is an oft-injured pothead. There's a reason those guys are running 3rd team. IMO they'll be over-priced in a trade because of their names, and won't be cut due to cap hits.

Mike Williams would be fine if they'd realize he isn't gonna burn it up the sideline for 50 yards. Mike Williams is like Keyshawn Johnson he'll be a solid-very good possesion WR he is not an electric race it 80 yards type of WR. He's a big, tough physical guy that could be very valuable over the middle.

dirk digler
Yea, one's fat and the other is an oft-injured pothead. There's a reason those guys are running 3rd team. IMO they'll be over-priced in a trade because of their names, and won't be cut due to cap hits.

Mike Williams doesn't fit the mold of a Mike Martz type WR. I think he would be perfect in a ball control O like we are going to run.

Deberg_1990
Someone like Keyshawn.

Actually he wouldnt be bad...is he still out there?? Ive never been a fan of his, but he has great hands and isnt afraid to go over the middle at all.

noa
Does anyone know how much cap room we have and what the implications of Roaf's "retirement" are?

Hammock Parties
As for other WRs, Ricky Proehl knows the system and is still out there.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Those guys aren't getting cut. The caps hit would be brutal. I'd be very surprised.

But essentially they are starting over, wouldn't surprise me at all for them to take it now and build for 3 years down the line.

noa
08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Actually he wouldnt be bad...is he still out there?? Ive never been a fan of his, but he has great hands and isnt afraid to go over the middle at all.

Unfortunately, he signed with the Panthers.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:34 PM

Keyshawn is the #2 on Carolina......

jspchief
As for other WRs, Ricky Proehl knows the system and is still out there.Perfect fit. Knows the system, fits the need.

dirk digler
As for other WRs, Ricky Proehl knows the system and is still out there.

I was just thinking about him. I looked him up and he is retired and doing play by play for the Rams preseason games.

For some reason I thought he went in for a workout with a team but I don't remember.

Mecca
Perfect fit. Knows the system, fits the need.

Of course you can probably outrun him these days.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Of course you can probably outrun him these days.you're still talking about Mike Williams, right?

Hammock Parties
08-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Who is fat on Detroit?

noa
08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Or....we could just take this opportunity to finally release our secret weapon, Kris Wilson

dirk digler
you're still talking about Mike Williams, right?

Proehl

Mecca
you're still talking about Mike Williams, right?

HAHA, Mike Williams isn't "that" slow. What was his 40.....4.5? I already explained the type of player Williams is and how he should be used which could make him a very valuable player to a team in the NFL.

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Or....we could just take this opportunity to finally release our secret weapon, Kris Wilson

Hey don't pick on Kris Wilson that was jspchief's Adopted Chief.. :)

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Of course you can probably outrun him these days.

We can get Herman Moore :)

Seriously, with Tony we get a possession Reciever. Another player with good hands, however may not be a bad option. Kennison's hands, in my dumb opinion are getting better with age, and as he slows down he's becoming more of a balanced WR. Parker is a deep threat, and Tony can be mauled by 3 linebackers and still make a play.

As far as depth, it can be addressed many routes. I think we actually have one of the best WR setups in the league, because Gonzo allows us to do things with our other recievers most teams dream of.

In short, I'd still like to see another guy who's probably a bit slower but will catch a ball in traffic, or over the middle.

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
We can get Herman Moore :)

Seriously, with Tony we get a possession Reciever. Another player with good hands, however may not be a bad option. Kennison's hands, in my dumb opinion are getting better with age, and as he slows down he's becoming more of a balanced WR. Parker is a deep threat, and Tony can be mauled by 3 linebackers and still make a play.

As far as depth, it can be addressed many routes. I think we actually have one of the best WR setups in the league, because Gonzo allows us to do things with our other recievers most teams dream of.

In short, I'd still like to see another guy who's probably a bit slower but will catch a ball in traffic, or over the middle.

Moooo

So you're ok with Mike Williams.........

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:42 PM

There is no way Detroit is going to cut Mike who they drafted last year at the 10 spot.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Thorpe and Curry appear, to me, to have the edge. I think they are reading too much into the Topeka paper's story. I wouldn't be heart broken to see the Chief's move on a trade, or picking up someone who is cut in the next 4-5 weeks.

noa
08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
There is no way Detroit is going to cut Mike who they drafted last year at the 10 spot.

Agreed...he's not on the market and he won't be this year. If anyone's going to go in Detroit, its Charles Rogers.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM

It would be a hell of a way to send a message, which their "tough guy" coach seems to want to do.......

I personally don't think it's all that likely but they aren't going to win this year and they may decide it's better to take the cap hit now and get the money back for FA the next few years.

Hammock Parties
The Chiefs will keep Webb before Thorpe, IMO.

And I'd really like to see us keep five wide receivers.

jspchief
There is no way Detroit is going to cut Mike who they drafted last year at the 10 spot. They'd take an 8 mil cap hit.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:45 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!! Only how much money is he gonna want? Nonetheless he will be here longer than Eddie. Plus Gonzo can't be the man forever, the game takes a toll. With someone else who can throw his body around and go up for a jumpball, we may be able to keep Tony around for a while. Of course, this is all speculation...

I don't know how Detroit could afford to get rid of a 1st rounder they only picked up a few years ago. I would be worried if I was a Lions fan.

Moooo

Mecca
Agreed...he's not on the market and he won't be this year. If anyone's going to go in Detroit, its Charles Rogers.

Hell I'd take him, he has talent........a change of teams may turn him around.

dirk digler

Yep. I just looked it up Mike Williams signed a 5 yr deal so the cap hit would be way to much right now. Plus it would be plain stupid to cut a top 10 pick after only 1 year.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! Only how much money is he gonna want? Nonetheless he will be here longer than Eddie. Plus Gonzo can't be the man forever, the game takes a toll. With someone else who can throw his body around and go up for a jumpball, we may be able to keep Tony around for a while. Of course, this is all speculation...

I don't know how Detroit could afford to get rid of a 1st rounder they only picked up a few years ago. I would be worried if I was a Lions fan.

Moooo

If you trade the contract just transfers over without the signing bonus, I'm guessing both Williams and Rogers have low bases due to them being rookie contracts.

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
They'd take an 8 mil cap hit.

Yep that is just to much.

Ok CP go and try to talk Proehl out of retirement.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Eh Detroit is still in start over mode......if the head coach decides he doesn't like or want those guys they'll do something.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Williams is outta of the question. Rodgers might get cut, but I'm not sure too many teams will be fighting over him.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Why does everyone put a d in Charles Rogers name? He's not Aaron Rodgers......

Mr. Kotter
Yep that is just to much.

Ok CP go and try to talk Proehl out of retirement.

Branch. :hmmm:

blueballs
[KCChiefsfan88]If Carl Peterson was anykind of GM, he would have traded for Hines Ward [KCChiefsfan88]

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Eh Detroit is still in start over mode......if the head coach decides he doesn't like or want those guys they'll do something.

I am not so sure about that. I don't think you bring in a veteran QB like Kitna and a 1 yr OC in Martz just to rebuild. I am not saying they are going to the SB but I think they are doing more than starting over.

Just my .02

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM

2nd round pick atleast, plus plenty of green is what you're looking at if you want him.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:50 PM

If they count Hall as a 5th, they will keep 5.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Charles Rodgers would be cool...

He has a problem with injuries, but as a 3rd WR, he may just very well find a niche he does well in.

He wouldn't be a secret weapon, but he would be one that we may be able to surprise opposing defenses with...

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I am not so sure about that. I don't think you bring in a veteran QB like Kitna and a 1 yr OC in Martz just to rebuild. I am not saying they are going to the SB but I think they are doing more than starting over.

Just my .02

Well Mike Williams sure as hell isn't a Mike Martz WR, I just see him flipping out in practice about his lack of speed and ability to cover 50 yards in 4 seconds.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
2nd round pick atleast, plus plenty of green is what you're looking at if you want him.

Make it happen, CP. If Willie is really retiring the money ought to be there....even with Kawika and Gonzos contracts. The cap is supposed to jump next year.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Rogers has had two broken collarbones, been busted for pot, and is now so unimpressive (rumblings that he's plain dumb too) that the Lions are willing to take it in the ass to get rid of him.

What exactly is appealing about him?

dirk digler

Ain't going to happen. Brady loves Branch.

Mecca
I'm going to bash my head into this desk if I see one more person put a D in Charles Rogers name......that's as bad as the people who say Ryan Simms.

Also if you want Branch he's also made it clear to the Pats if he doesn't get what he wants. He'll sit the first 10 games, play the last 6 get his yaer in and go to FA after the season.

Moooo
Well Mike Williams sure as hell isn't a Mike Martz WR, I just see him flipping out in practice about his lack of speed and ability to cover 50 yards in 4 seconds.

Somewhere in Detroit, Martz is wishing he had Holt back...

Moooo

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Rogers has had two broken collarbones, been busted for pot, and is now so unimpressive (rumblings that he's plain dumb too) that the Lions are willing to take it in the ass to get rid of him.

The take it in the ass part... :shrug:

Moooo
I'm going to bash my head into this desk if I see one more person put a D in Charles Rogers name......that's as bad as the people who say Ryan Simms.

Also if you want Branch he's also made it clear to the Pats if he doesn't get what he wants. He'll sit the first 10 games, play the last 6 get his yaer in and go to FA after the season.

I don't have to spell his name right until he becomes a Chief :)

But I'll learn from my mistake nonetheless...

Moooo

Mecca

I don't think that matters, the Pats front office is notorious for pissing players off and not paying them. Branch is playing hardball with them as I pointed out wouldn't be at all surprised to see Branch in a different UNI before this years over.......

the Talking Can
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM

couldn't agree more...one quality of Herm I'll like...no favorites...if Crap-ho sucks, CUT HIM....

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Rodgers... :D

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:55 PM

But NE is playing hardball with Branch. That's a wound that only money is going to heal, and NE isn't usually Santa Clause in these kinds of situations...:hmmm:

Hammock Parties
If they count Hall as a 5th, they will keep 5.

He's always been counted as a WR.

The way I see it, they are talking like all the young WRs are competing for one roster spot.

Mecca

2nd overall pick in the draft, extremely productive college player, immense natural talent. We have his college QB now how odd is that...

His collarbone is a non-issue now. After the 2nd one he got the surgery and there is a metal plate over it, he won't be breaking it again.

Mecca
Rodgers... :D
:cuss:

Tribesman
08-10-2006, 10:56 PM

For what its worth I recall Trent Green harping on Jeris McIntyre. I don't know how skilled he is in comparison to Webb or Thorpe though.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
But NE is playing hardball with Branch. That's a wound that only money is going to heal, and NE isn't usually Santa Clause in these kinds of situations...:hmmm:And i'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread, We're not in the market for a #1 or #2, we're in the market for a #4.

Branch is a #1.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2006, 10:57 PM
For what its worth I recall Trent Green harping on Jeris McIntyre. I don't know how skilled he is in comparison to Webb or Thorpe though.

He's more of a possession-type WR, but we could use one.

dirk digler
I don't think that matters, the Pats front office is notorious for pissing players off and not paying them. Branch is playing hardball with them as I pointed out wouldn't be at all surprised to see Branch in a different UNI before this years over.......

True but I think they have less WR depth than we do.

Mecca
We could sure use a legit starting WR......I'd love to see Parker go to the slot this year then go back up to the 2 when Kennison is let go.....

doomy3
Why does anyone think that Rogers or Williams would want to come here and be a number 3 receiver? Or Lelie for that matter? All those guys would come in and be unhappy, which in turn would cause more harm than good. I can't imagine any one of them coming on as a #3 and playing hard, or making much of a difference.

Talent wise, any of the three receivers mentioned above would be an obvious upgrade, but once you weigh in the fact that they pretty much all have had problems because they are not number 1's on the teams they are on, I say pass.

Now if any of them can become team players and work to earn the spot, then I would be all for it, but I just don't see that happening. Especially when we would be bringing any of them on, paying them much more than our #1, who is already unhappy about money. I just don't see much good here...

jspchief
2nd overall pick in the draft, extremely productive college player, immense natural talent. We have his college QB now how odd is that...

His collarbone is a non-issue now. After the 2nd one he got the surgery and there is a metal plate over it, he won't be breaking it again.Ryan Leaf was a stud in college... just saying, the guy has done very little on the NFL level to convince me he's a guy we want.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
True but I think they have less WR depth than we do.

They drafted Chad Jackson don't forget that...

dirk digler
:cuss:

I like Rodgers and Simms

Deberg_1990
Charles Roddddgers

Mecca
Ryan Leaf was a stud in college... just saying, the guy has done very little on the NFL level to convince me he's a guy we want.

What if it's for a 6th round pick? I'm not saying give up the world for the guy but I think he's worth a shot if you're giving up something minimal.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 10:59 PM
And i'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread, We're not in the market for a #1 or #2, we're in the market for a #4.

Branch is a #1.

Do you think we will be in the market for one next year, when Branch would be available?

I think all of the talk we're venturing into now depends on the performance of Parker this year.

And if Rogers (I learn) doesn't have the pressure of not feeling like he has to be a #1 guy, he may flourish in moderation. A new team with a new assignment can very well do that.

Moooo

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 10:59 PM
He's always been counted as a WR.

The way I see it, they are talking like all the young WRs are competing for one roster spot.

No way, they'll go into the season with Kennison, Parker, Hall, and ONE other WR. They will keep five.....UNLESS they think they can sneak TWO really promising young WRs (out of Thorpe, Webb, Curry, McIntyre, or Brown) oronto the practice squad.

JMHO :shrug:

noa
08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Maybe we can talk Jimmy Smith out of retirement

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
No way, they'll go into the season with Kennison, Parker, Hall, and ONE other WR. They will keep five.....UNLESS they think they can sneak TWO really promising young WRs (out of Thorpe, Webb, Curry, McIntyre, or Brown) oronto the practice squad.

I thought so too until I heard Herm say before TC that they are going to keep 4 and that is counting Hall

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Do you think we will be in the market for one next year, when Branch would be available?
Yes. I think next year we won't have Kennison. And I like Branch.

Mr. Kotter
And i'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread, We're not in the market for a #1 or #2, we're in the market for a #4.

Branch is a #1.Maybe not in the market....but if Branch is available, why not dream....:hmmm:
Then why not take a crack at him now, take away Kennison's leverage....and give us a triplet set of Branch, Kennison, and Parker?

:D

Hammock Parties

I hope you're right. Last season they talked about keeping five, and Hall was one of them.

This season they're talking about keeping four.

Mecca
Why does anyone think that Rogers or Williams would want to come here and be a number 3 receiver? Or Lelie for that matter? All those guys would come in and be unhappy, which in turn would cause more harm than good. I can't imagine any one of them coming on as a #3 and playing hard, or making much of a difference.

Talent wise, any of the three receivers mentioned above would be an obvious upgrade, but once you weigh in the fact that they pretty much all have had problems because they are not number 1's on the teams they are on, I say pass.

Now if any of them can become team players and work to earn the spot, then I would be all for it, but I just don't see that happening. Especially when we would be bringing any of them on, paying them much more than our #1, who is already unhappy about money. I just don't see much good here...

I think Charles Rogers would be happy to get out of Detroit at this point. Alot of people looked at him as a savior and it put immense pressure on him being as he played at Michigan State then got drafted by the Lions.

He'd probably be happy to play with a good QB for a change also......I don't for a second think that Joey Harrington didn't effect him as a player.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I wonder what Richard Smith is up to these days??

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 11:02 PM

I think he is still under contract to the Jags

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:03 PM

You wanna get penalized for tampering again.........

jspchief
I wonder what Richard Smith is up to these days??Playing for Saunders in Washington. Soon to be cut.

noa

I got rid of Kennison and signed Branch with EA's Head Coach and he has been the perfect fit. I also drafted Michael Huff instead of Tamba Hali and he's the man. The best part is that EA Roaf still hasn't retired.

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that NO was unhappy with Stallworth and may cut him?

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:05 PM

New Orleans is the other place to look......Stallworth and Devery Henderson are both there. I'd take Stallworth in a second, he could probably be a pretty solid starter in our offense.

noa
08-10-2006, 11:06 PM

Yes, but I don't think we need a guy like him.

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that NO was unhappy with Stallworth and may cut him?Stallworth has been injured and can't seem to learn the new offense. Devery Henderson can't catch anything in practice.

Both of those guys are probably available in trade, and I wouldn't be suprised if that's who we're after.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 11:07 PM
New Orleans is the other place to look......Stallworth and Devery Henderson are both there. I'd take Stallworth in a second, he could probably be a pretty solid starter in our offense.

Stallworth is definately more realistic than Lelie or Porter because hes in the NFC. It would probably take a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get him.

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Ok. I just read that Henderson has overtaken Stallworth and that Stallworth is in Payton's doghouse.

Could be a possibility.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Stallworth has been injured and can't seem to learn the new offense. Devery Henderson can't catch anything in practice.

Both of those guys are probably available in trade, and I wouldn't be suprised if that's who we're after.

Stallworth has some jets, now...

But why would we go after him when we already are investing in Parker as our deep threat? I'm not sold on Parker, but I keep getting the impression the Chiefs organization is...

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Stallworth has been injured and can't seem to learn the new offense. Devery Henderson can't catch anything in practice.

Stallworth is also more talented than any WR on our roster, with world class speed. His injury problems are always things like pulled hamstrings nothing that makes you throw up a red flag like an ACL or something.

noa
Stallworth is definately more realistic than Lelie or Porter because hes in the NFC. It would probably take a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get him.

Again, we don't need a speedy deep threat. We need a big guy who can go over the middle. We have speed covered between Kennison and Parker, we just need more of a possession receiver.

Mecca
Stallworth has some jets, now...

But why would we go after him when we already are investing in Parker as our deep threat? I'm not sold on Parker, but I keep getting the impression the Chiefs organization is...

Moooo

Because Stallworth is 6'1 and Parker is 5'11........Stallworth can be more than just a deep threat he's not a little bitty guy.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Again, we don't need a speedy deep threat. We need a big guy who can go over the middle. We have speed covered between Kennison and Parker, we just need more of a possession receiver.

Beggers can't be choosers, plus Stallworth could be starting for this team before long, his talent level is there.

dirk digler
08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
From yesterday's FoxSports

Donte' Stallworth, WR, New Orleans - The Saints tried to deal Stallworth in the off-season but couldn't find a suitor. Entering the final year of his contract, Stallworth, like Porter, has clashed with his new coaching staff. He's also battling a groin injury. He looks like a poor fantasy pick, but the Saints are so thin at receiver a trade would be a surprise. Maybe Denver and New Orleans could swap contract-year malcontents, sending Lelie to the Nola.

jspchief
I wish we would have signed Joe Jurevicious.

noa
Beggers can't be choosers, plus Stallworth could be starting for this team before long, his talent level is there.

He might be nice for the future, I just don't think we have any need for him this year. #1 and #2 are set for this year.

noa

Or Keyshawn. He's great at going over the middle to catch the ball.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:14 PM
He might be nice for the future, I just don't think we have any need for him this year. #1 and #2 are set for this year.

That's an odd take you want a less talented player because Stallworth might be better than Parker is right now.......hrm that's a little odd.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Because Stallworth is 6'1 and Parker is 5'11........Stallworth can be more than just a deep threat he's not a little bitty guy.

Although height is important, is his actual size good enough to be going over the middle and whatnot?

I mean, Marvin Harrison is 6'0", but he's not built for anything over the middle.

Moooo

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM

Or David Boston....it appears hes having a good camp with the Bucs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahm_ab17h6aeb9avXlFmi7VDubYF?slug=cr-buccaneers081006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

jspchief
08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Or Keyshawn. He's great at going over the middle to catch the ball.Johnson was pretty pricey. 4 years 20 mil, with 5 mil bonus.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Although height is important, is his actual size good enough to be going over the middle and whatnot?

I mean, Marvin Harrison is 6'0", but he's not built for anything over the middle.

Moooo

Stallworth isn't a tiny man, if he stood next to Parker you'd see the difference in their size.

Also the "for the future" comment. Stallworth was drafted the same year Ryan Sims was for a comparison in age. I think for a reasonable price he'd be an excellent pickup for us.

tk13
08-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Stallworth is also more talented than any WR on our roster, with world class speed. His injury problems are always things like pulled hamstrings nothing that makes you throw up a red flag like an ACL or something.
I don't know, but for some reason people have the most misguided view of our WR's. You do realize that both Parker and Kennison are track stars... both of them can still fly.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Stallworth isn't a tiny man, if he stood next to Parker you'd see the difference in their size.

Also the "for the future" comment. Stallworth was drafted the same year Ryan Sims was for a comparison in age. I think for a reasonable price he'd be an excellent pickup for us.

Sounds like... :)

I got him on my Madden game as a deep threat :) I'm not doubting his skill, but I was questioning his possesion ability. I'm just looking for clarification.

Tremendous upside, no wonder he was a first rounder...

Moooo

noa
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
That's an odd take you want a less talented player because Stallworth might be better than Parker is right now.......hrm that's a little odd.

I dont understand this response at all. I'm just trying to trying to be practical. There is no way we are just going to cut Parker or demote him, unless he gives us a reason to. Stallworth had a good season last year, but that doesn't mean he could just come in and be great here. Receivers always take time to adjust, and we haven't been particularly lucky in that department (i.e., johnnie morton). There has been a lot of talk about WR's this offseason, but most of it is about WRs for the future and our #3 and #4 guys, not about replacing Parker this season.

Mecca
I don't know, but for some reason people have the most misguided view of our WR's. You do realize that both Parker and Kennison are track stars... both of them can still fly.

Stallworth was also.....he fits right into that. I'm also looking at this as we have 2 WR's that can start if anyone gets hurt we're dead in the water. I also think Samie Parker would be an excellent fit in the slot till Kennison moved on.......we run 3 WR's so often plus it would keep Dante fresher.

jspchief
Or David Boston....it appears hes having a good camp with the Bucs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahm_ab17h6aeb9avXlFmi7VDubYF?slug=cr-buccaneers081006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns If Boston catches on in Tampa, maybe Ike Hilliard becomes available. Not great, but a serviceable #3/4

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
I dont understand this response at all. I'm just trying to trying to be practical. There is no way we are just going to cut Parker or demote him, unless he gives us a reason to. Stallworth had a good season last year, but that doesn't mean he could just come in and be great here. Receivers always take time to adjust, and we haven't been particularly lucky in that department (i.e., johnnie morton). There has been a lot of talk about WR's this offseason, but most of it is about WRs for the future and our #3 and #4 guys, not about replacing Parker this season.

Didn't say right away, the Chiefs run numerous 3 WR sets anyway and I think Parker fits in the slot really well......

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:21 PM

I think the (possibly former) Chiefs offense is hell on a reciever. It seems like it is, at least.

Either that or our scouts suck at WRs :)

Moooo

noa
08-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I think the (possibly former) Chiefs offense is hell on a reciever. It seems like it is, at least.

Either that or our scouts suck at WRs :)

Moooo

Sure, we don't have a top receiving corps, but Kennison has been consistent for us, Parker has shown glimpses of good things to come, and Trent has managed to throw for 4,000 yards in three straight seasons. Much of that is thanks to the offensive system, and the numbers might drop this year, but I don't think we need to hit the panic button or anything.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
If look at Stallworth stats...........

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2002 New Orleans Saints 13 7 42 594 14.1 57 8 11 2 26
2003 New Orleans Saints 11 3 25 485 19.4 76 3 6 3 19
2004 New Orleans Saints 16 10 58 767 13.2 45 5 13 1 35
2005 New Orleans Saints 16 13 70 945 13.5 43 7 16 1 50
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 14.3 76 23 46 7 130

His stats have improved every year, he's not a declining player. I feel he's worth the risk and probably the best player available that we could land.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Heres a thought....what if Dante played #3 Wr full time and we found someone else to return punts and kicks?? Would we be better served that way? "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak....

OK, ill stand back to avoid the flames.......

tk13
Stallworth was also.....he fits right into that. I'm also looking at this as we have 2 WR's that can start if anyone gets hurt we're dead in the water. I also think Samie Parker would be an excellent fit in the slot till Kennison moved on.......we run 3 WR's so often plus it would keep Dante fresher.
Yeah, but you said Stallworth was more talented than anybody on our roster, because he has world class speed. That's just not true, both Kennison and Parker are extremely talented. I actually like Stallworth though.

Really though, we have speedsters, I'd rather have someone who caught everything that got thrown his way, a more reliable possession reciever instead of another sprinter with less than sure hands. That's not going to excite anybody, no, but it'd probably make us a better football team.

Hammock Parties
I agree with Mecca. Stallworth would also be a replacement when Kennison retires.

And best of all, keeps Dante Hall off the field.

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, but you said Stallworth was more talented than anybody on our roster, because he has world class speed. That's just not true, both Kennison and Parker are extremely talented. I actually like Stallworth though.

Really though, we have speedsters, I'd rather have someone who caught everything that got thrown his way, a more reliable possession reciever instead of another sprinter with less than sure hands. That's not going to excite anybody, no, but it'd probably make us a better football team.

I'm looking at what's available, when you come up with a name that fits that you let me know because right now Stallworth looks like the best option to me.

noa
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree with Mecca. Stallworth would also be a replacement when Kennison retires.

And best of all, keeps Dante Hall off the field.

He would be fine. I wonder what our salary cap will look like when Roaf, Shields, and Priest all officially retire. Maybe we'd have enough room to go after some top tier receivers.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Heres a thought....what if Dante played #3 Wr full time and we found someone else to return punts and kicks?? Would we be better served that way? "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak....

OK, ill stand back to avoid the flames.......

I saw Curry in camp, and if we didn't have Dante.....maybe.

But since we have Dante....no. And not just no, but, Hell no! :p

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
We're probably going to draft a WR in the first round next year........I picture Herm at practice everyday thinking "man these guys blow what was Vermiel thinking.....".

tk13
I'm looking at what's available, when you come up with a name that fits that you let me know because right now Stallworth looks like the best option to me.
You don't want to make moves out of desperation. Just because he's the biggest name out there now doesn't mean he's the best fit for this football team.

Halfcan
I like Stallworth but I don't see it happening. We have enough people to catch the ball. I look for LJ to get 4-600 yards receiving also.

Moooo
08-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Sure, we don't have a top receiving corps, but Kennison has been consistent for us, Parker has shown glimpses of good things to come, and Trent has managed to throw for 4,000 yards in three straight seasons. Much of that is thanks to the offensive system, and the numbers might drop this year, but I don't think we need to hit the panic button or anything.

Right, I think we're fine for now... But a LOT of what we can do came from and comes from our offensive line.

Our WRs are thin. Kennison is great, but we didn't really teach him. He was already a veteran.

I have total faith in our system, but I worry cause out of the last few years, Kennison is the only WR that's really stuck in our scheme, and he's getting older.

Moooo

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I like Stallworth but I don't see it happening. We have enough people to catch the ball. I look for LJ to get 4-600 yards receiving also.

No, we don't. If anyone gets hurt at the WR position we're dead in the water. We have 2 WR's and a special teams player that's it.

I wouldn't consider Stallworth a desperation move depending on what they're asking for him. They seem to want to get rid of him and if we can get him for a low price I think he's worth it. Then that would give us 3 WR's plus Hall a much better position to be in.

noa
08-10-2006, 11:37 PM
No, we don't. If anyone gets hurt at the WR position we're dead in the water. We have 2 WR's and a special teams player that's it.

I wouldn't consider Stallworth a desperation move depending on what they're asking for him. They seem to want to get rid of him and if we can get him for a low price I think he's worth it. Then that would give us 3 WR's plus Hall a much better position to be in.

I think it would be unlikely for us to trade with the same team twice for offensive players in the same offseason. We already gave up a draft pick for Bennett, and I don't know if we want to give up any more picks. My guess is we wait until more roster cuts so we can pick up a free agent.

tk13
08-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, the price is part of it, I was kind of assuming they'd want a first day pick since the guy was almost a 1000 yard reciever last year. Maybe not.

And part of it is that I cringe at the thought of having all these WR's that drop passes. Having Stallworth/Kennison/Parker will give us maybe the best dropsies/fumbles WR group in the entire NFL. That'll make Herm real confident in throwing the football...hahah.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I think it would be unlikely for us to trade with the same team twice for offensive players in the same offseason. We already gave up a draft pick for Bennett, and I don't know if we want to give up any more picks. My guess is we wait until more roster cuts so we can pick up a free agent.

I might be inclined to agree with you, if it weren't for the New Orleans connection in our front office. I suspect that increases the likelihoold of this if Kuharich likes Stallworth. I mean, another 2nd or 3rd rounder for Stallworth....a former number one--who has potential? I wouldn't bet against it.

Personally, I'd prefer a possession guy, but if they can grab Stallworth and the price is right, I would go for it.....:hmmm:

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the price is part of it, I was kind of assuming they'd want a first day pick since the guy was almost a 1000 yard reciever last year. Maybe not.

And part of it is that I cringe at the thought of having all these WR's that drop passes. Having Stallworth/Kennison/Parker will give us maybe the best dropsies/fumbles WR group in the entire NFL. That'll make Herm real confident in throwing the football...hahah.

Stallworth's improved quite a bit on that, and well so has Parker for that matter.

I'd give up a 3rd for him, provided the Chiefs planned to re-sign him after this year and he wasn't a 1 year player. Then we wouldn't have to use a first rounder on a WR next year.

Was Bill Kuharick still in New Orleans when they drafted him? If he was that could also play into this.

Also for the other comment, I don't think a trade between the 2 already means that much. It just shows me the 2 teams have a repore(however you spell that) with each other and don't have a problem making a deal.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Kennison was better last year, as was Sammie the last month. And Sammie has been impressive at camp so far, so hopefully he's turned the corner.

Can you imagine a DC though, having to prepare for a trips-set of those three....:eek:

:hmmm:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-10-2006, 11:46 PM
David Patten? Bernard Berrian from Chicago?

Mecca
08-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Kennison was better last year, as was Sammie the last month. And Sammie has been impressive at camp so far, so hopefully he's turned the corner.

Can you imagine a DC though, having to prepare for a trips-set of those three....:eek:

:hmmm:

Add in Tony and Larry and you're going to have a mismatch somewhere on the field on every play. No team has the personel to take those 3 WR's plus Tony and Larry and stop them all 1 on 1.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Add in Tony and Larry and you're going to have a mismatch somewhere on the field on every play. No team has the personel to take those 3 WR's plus Tony and Larry and stop them all 1 on 1.Yup. Unless we were down by 4 or 5 TDs, we'd NEVER be out of the game....heh. :)

I'd STILL prefer a possession type WR, but that scenario is intriguing. I can't think of any possession type WRs that might be available at the moment, though....so why not, if the price is right? :hmmm:

Worst case scenario, you've found a replacement for Kennison.

alanm
08-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Perfect fit. Knows the system, fits the need.
I thought Proehl retired.

Mecca
08-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I thought Proehl retired.

Yea he's a Rams announcer now.

Logical
08-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Chiefs | Thorpe on the bubble
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:00:35 -0700

TSN.ca, citing the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs WR Craphonso Thorpe is in danger of getting cut from the team.
oh crap

Mecca
08-11-2006, 12:25 AM
You're a little late there man......

Logical
08-11-2006, 12:29 AM
You're a little late there man......Ya think

RealSNR
08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Here's the bullshit... Herm wants to keep only 4 WRs and he's expecting ALL FOUR of them to make contributions to the team. With Vermeil, I remember it was the usual top 3, plus Boe. Then the 5th guy was a Snoop/Richard Smith/Chris Horn type player who would never see the field except maybe on special teams.

We're stuck with those guys for playing our #4 spot. So whoever we get needs to contribute RIGHT AWAY.

Can Stallworth learn shit that quickly? I'm tentative about that.

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2006, 12:46 AM

IIRC Stallworth was even pretty young when he came into the league. He can't be more than 25. So as you've said, the age concern should be non-existent.

I've been cautious about him because I worried about his injury history and dedication. It always seemed he had something tweaked or something was sore. If he understands that this year he would be the #2 or #3 and then in the future have more than a fair shake to unseat Kennison then go for it. I can't remember for sure but I think next year might be voidable for him so I wouldn't be thrilled to give up a high pick for a guy that may not be more than a rent a player.

Warrior5
08-11-2006, 06:13 AM
A 12-page thread focusing on the lack of WR depth, and I have yet to find the obligatory post condemning Carl Peterson?

Teeing it up...

NCarlsCorner2
08-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Carl will bring back Johnnie Morton for the league minimum.

morphius
08-11-2006, 06:46 AM
A 12-page thread focusing on the lack of WR depth, and I have yet to find the obligatory post condemning Carl Peterson?

Teeing it up...
He hasn't drafted many decent WR's, I don't think bitching about it now is gonna do any good...

JimNasium
08-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Those guys are all speed guys and we have enough of that between Kennison, Parker, and Hall. I think we need someone big who can go across the middle to take some heat off of TonyG. Someone like Keyshawn.
Gunther? Is that you?

MahiMike
08-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Hey I know a really good WR that plays for the Packers! Bo somebody...

Mecca
08-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey I know a really good WR that plays for the Packers! Bo somebody...

:rolleyes:

Frosty
08-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Kevin Johnson, Az Hakim, and Freddie Mitchell are still available, IIRC. They aren't great but might work as a #4 WR and wouldn't take a draft pick.

jspchief
08-11-2006, 07:24 AM
The Saints are interested in Lelie.

The way I see it, we could probably get Stallworth for the price that New Orleans pays for Lelie.

The problem is, Stallworth is in a contract year. We're not going to give up a draft pick for a one year player, so we would have to sign him to a new contract. Putting money into Stallworth will just further piss off Kennison, who has to know that the addition of Stallworth further reduces his value/leverage.

That's why I say we need to go after a true #3/#4 type of guy. Anbody with real talent is going to cause shitstorm with our current #1.

Mecca
08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
The Saints are interested in Lelie.

The way I see it, we could probably get Stallworth for the price that New Orleans pays for Lelie.

The problem is, Stallworth is in a contract year. We're not going to give up a draft pick for a one year player, so we would have to sign him to a new contract. Putting money into Stallworth will just further piss off Kennison, who has to know that the addition of Stallworth further reduces his value/leverage.

That's why I say we need to go after a true #3/#4 type of guy. Anbody with real talent is going to cause shitstorm with our current #1.

Wouldn't that be right up Carls alley to make a move to reduce all negotiating leverage a player would have....

jspchief
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Wouldn't that be right up Carls alley to make a move to reduce all negotiating leverage a player would have....I know everyone likes to trash Carl, but this is one area where he's always done well IMO. He's not going to negotiate with Kennison anyway, but the addition of Stallworth may just be enough of a slap that Eddie really does hold out.

Carl knows that Eddie Kennison is our most important receiver coming into this year. Regardless of anyone's opinion of his his physical talent, Kennison knows this complex offense inside and out, and Green trusts him (something that Green always mentions when working with new WRs). I don't think Peterson is wanting to play hardball with Kennison, I think he is wanting to eek out one more year.

ct
08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
couldn't agree more...one quality of Herm I'll like...no favorites...if Crap-ho sucks, CUT HIM....

BS

eg. Ty Law

jspchief
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
BS

eg. Ty LawYea favoring a multi-time Pro Bowler is comparable to favoring guys like Hicks and McCleon. :rolleyes: