PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with room service charges in hotels??!!

TinyEvel
08-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Can somebody clear this up for me? Have any of you worked in Hotel Room service?

When the wife and I stay in a hotel, we often get room service, it's fun to be lazy and have breakfast in bed. 12 bucks for an omelet, I figure, is worth the convenience.

But just about every place adds 18% gratuity PLUS a $3 service charge.
Then, when they give you the slip to sign, there's an ADDITIONAL place to add gratuity. It even says "gratuity" under that line.

WTF??!!

Didn't they add enough already? THen if I don;t add something while the guy's standing right there I feel like a cheap-ass. Do they really expect you to add MORE?

I stay at the Westin Dallas often for business, and a continental breakfast is $25 bucks by the time you're done.

What do you do?

BONUS RANT: $20 per night parking to park at the HOTEL YOU'RE STAYING AT?
Highway friggin' robbery.

:cuss:

Bob Dole
08-11-2006, 07:19 PM
When they add a service charge and gratuity automatically, Bob Dole has no problem not giving the guy standing there an additional tip. It's not like he's going to come back and refill Bob Dole's drink.

And it's definitely BS to pay for parking at the place you're staying.

Bwana
08-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Yep, I travel all the time and run into it. The only tip I leave after they have already left it for me is "look both ways before you cross the street."

Bob Dole
08-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Yep, I travel all the time and run into it. The only tip I leave after they have already left it for me is "look both ways before you cross the street."

"Stay out of pool halls" is another good one.

chief2000
08-11-2006, 07:34 PM
They charge what they can get.

4th and Long
08-11-2006, 07:37 PM
"Stay out of pool halls" is another good one.
Buy cheap and go long.

Phobia
08-11-2006, 07:38 PM
They charge what they can get.

They won't get it from me. I can't afford all that crap. Screw 'em.

Rain Man
08-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm in a hotel now, and just ordered room service about five minutes go. They only charged me 15% and $1. It's not what you know, it's the cheapness of the place you stay.

I was a bit bummed, though, because I was going to order food from a nearby Chinese place and I couldn't get through.

Skip Towne
08-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Don't bet on the Cardinals.

TinyEvel
08-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I'll maybe give the guy an extra buck or two if he goes through the trouble of setting everything up ,unwrapping the condom skins off the drinks and butter dish and crap like that.
But I don't give anything extra for bringing in in and setting it at the foot of the bed.

Saulbadguy
08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Room service is for suckers. You are retarded if you ever get room service.

Skip Towne
08-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Another favorite tip of mine "Buy low, sell high".

Rain Man
08-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Room service is for suckers. You are retarded if you ever get room service.

You know nothing of the magic that is room service. I am dining in my room and working and messing around on Chiefsplanet and watching some sort of Austin Powers movie, all at once. And what are you doing? Driving out to Taco Bell.

Saulbadguy
08-11-2006, 08:11 PM
You know nothing of the magic that is room service. I am dining in my room and working and messing around on Chiefsplanet and watching some sort of Austin Powers movie, all at once. And what are you doing? Driving out to Taco Bell.
Taco Bell = Entire meal for $4.99
Hotel room service = $13 on up, depending on what you get.

Rain Man
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Yes, but my time is very, very valuable.

Oh, this is a funny part of the Austin Powers movie.

Donger
08-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm in a hotel now, and just ordered room service about five minutes go. They only charged me 15% and $1. It's not what you know, it's the cheapness of the place you stay.

I was a bit bummed, though, because I was going to order food from a nearby Chinese place and I couldn't get through.

Please tell me that you did NOT get room service at a Best Western.

Skip Towne
08-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes, but my time is very, very valuable.

Oh, this is a funny part of the Austin Powers movie.
Saul wouldn't pay a dollar to watch a pissant eat a bale of hay even if it would eat it all in one bite.

Rain Man
08-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Please tell me that you did NOT get room service at a Best Western.

I am not without some mild regret.

Donger
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I am not without some mild regret.

Hilton Garden Inns, Rain Man. Hilton Garden Inns.

Rain Man
08-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Hilton Garden Inns, Rain Man. Hilton Garden Inns.

Paris Hilton runs a tight ship.

Donger
08-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Depends on the circumference of the guest.

Donger
08-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Seriously through. Check this out: http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/promotions/About_HGI/index.jhtml?adId=quad,HGIAboutUs,30

HDTV and one of those cool beds in every room by the end of the year.

Bugeater
08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
That's exactly why I never liked the idea of taking a cruise. I imagine it to be just a big floating hotel that you can't leave, and getting gouged for every little thing you could want or need.

big nasty kcnut
08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Mine is never trust denver fans.

Smed1065
08-11-2006, 09:27 PM
That's exactly why I never liked the idea of taking a cruise. I imagine it to be just a big floating hotel that you can't leave, and getting gouged for every little thing you could want or need.

Thats why you take the all inclusive cruise. Then you gouge them- LOL

Coach
08-11-2006, 09:35 PM

Yeah, my g/f in Dallas for her job training, that hotel she's staying does charge $20 for parking.

It is highway robbery, that's why she's changing hotels.

Braincase
08-11-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.99w.com/evilsam/ff/wafflehouse.jpg

Mosbonian
08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I am a frequent stayer with both the Marriott and Hilton Chains....so the places I go, they pretty much know me by name now.

I order room service all the time when on business, especially if I have had a busy day, and don't care to spend most of the evening waiting for a table in a good restaurant.

Like Rain Man says, sometimes the nicety of getting a pretty decent meal delivered to your room while you watch HBO or Starz and surf the Planet makes the pain of traveling a little less.

At the Hotels where I am a frequent guest and frequently order room service, the guys know I don't add a tip if the meal bill already includes an 18% gratuity...especially if my meal takes a little while to get to me. If the service person gets my meal to me pretty quickly, I usually tip him a couple of bucks extra on top of what is added to the meal.

But for me it is a little different..I am there on business and all my meals (and tips) are reimbursed to me.

mmaddog

Toad
08-11-2006, 10:28 PM

"What are you doing? Richard, were you watching Spanktravision?"

TinyEvel
08-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, my g/f in Dallas for her job training, that hotel she's staying does charge $20 for parking.

It is highway robbery, that's why she's changing hotels.

Dude, she should be able to expense that! Unless she owns the company, she should stay put, AND order room service for every meal.

TinyEvel
08-12-2006, 12:57 AM
By the way, mowing some clam chowder at the little desk next to the TV armoir as I write this (in my choanies).

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I had never heard of a Hilton Garden Inn until Donger mentioned it, and then lo and behold I took a little different route to my office yesterday, and they're building one two blocks away. Of course, I have little need for a hotel two blocks from my office, but it's nice to know it's there, just in case.

4th and Long
08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I have little need for a hotel two blocks from my office, but it's nice to know it's there, just in case.
I used to think I had little need for a motel/hotel that was 10 minutes from my place. My thinking changed when an ice storm ravaged the area and ripped my electric meter off the house during sub-freezing temperatures. After the first night of freezing my ass off I was ELATED to grab a room the following day. Took them a week to get service back to the house.

ChiefaRoo
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM

Rainman you have to understand that Saul is a rough hewn Silo techer who thinks the height of refinement is the "open late" drive thru at Taco Bell. I love room service. You make a phone call and they bring you stuff. :)

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I love room service. You make a phone call and they bring you stuff.

That is perhaps the quintessential definition of room service. It's the closest most of us will ever come to having servants.

jAZ
08-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Can somebody clear this up for me? Have any of you worked in Hotel Room service?

When the wife and I stay in a hotel, we often get room service, it's fun to be lazy and have breakfast in bed. 12 bucks for an omelet, I figure, is worth the convenience.

But just about every place adds 18% gratuity PLUS a $3 service charge.
Then, when they give you the slip to sign, there's an ADDITIONAL place to add gratuity. It even says "gratuity" under that line.

WTF??!!

Didn't they add enough already? THen if I don;t add something while the guy's standing right there I feel like a cheap-ass. Do they really expect you to add MORE?

I stay at the Westin Dallas often for business, and a continental breakfast is $25 bucks by the time you're done.

What do you do?

The hotel industry is built around the business traveler and his expense account. The guy staying at the hotel 75% of the time doesn't care how much it costs as long as it's within his diem imposed.

Simplex3
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
For people (like me) who like the convenience AND are tight-asses, Pizza Hut does room service and doesn't add the extra costs.

Just order delivery food from some local place. Shows up at the hotel door the same way and it isn't microwaved by some jackhole who was cleaning a s**tter 5 minutes ago.

dtebbe
08-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I never have this problem at Country Inns by Carlson or Holiday Inn Express. Of coarse I do have to stagger down and get my own breakfast, but I still eat it in bed, and it's free.

Those malted waffles at Country Inn are awesome.

DT

Mr. Laz
08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
i bet the staff never sees a cent of the gratuity charge ... they might as well just call it a "delivery charge"

when you have pizza hut deliver they charge too...but don't give it to the drivers

jidar
08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah I know what you mean.
I had the family at Embassy Suites on Main a few weeks back. We ordered Ice Cream at about 9-10 in the evening for everyone, total bill was a bit over $60

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 05:03 PM
For people (like me) who like the convenience AND are tight-asses, Pizza Hut does room service and doesn't add the extra costs.

Just order delivery food from some local place. Shows up at the hotel door the same way and it isn't microwaved by some jackhole who was cleaning a s**tter 5 minutes ago.

That's what I often like to do, too. It's easier now with the internet in rooms, too. You can figure out who's close and who will charge you $1,000 for delivery because they're in Los Angeles.