PDA

View Full Version : THE 2006 Soccer Thread. Soccer haters please ignore this thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CHIEF4EVER
08-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Football (soccer) is finally here again!:clap: This weekend the Premiership kicks off with the Community Shield game featuring Chelsea v. Liverpool. Man is it ever good to have Chiefs Football and soccer at the same time.....like Xmas in August.

Dartgod
08-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Soccer haters please ignore this thread.Heh...

milkman
08-11-2006, 10:20 PM
THE 2006 Soccer Thread. Soccer haters please ignore this thread

I'll bet that'll really work.

milkman
08-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Heh...

:cuss:

Heh...

dirk digler
08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
:ZZZ:

CHIEF4EVER
08-11-2006, 10:29 PM
If you don't have Setanta and are a soccer fan you might want to get Setanta. There is not going to be a PPV for the Premiership this year. The games are going to be split between Setanta and FSC. This weekends schedule on Setanta:

Saturday

7:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Stoke City vs Birmingham - Coca-Cola Championship
LIVE coverage of this Championship match from the Britannia Stadium. Steve Bruce will be hoping to lead the Blues back to the Premiership after being relegated last season. K.O. 07:30 ET

9:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Sevilla vs Man Utd - Pre-Season Friendly
Live coverage of this pre-season friendly from Spain. The Red Devils will be without new signing Michael Carrick, who picked up an injury during the Amsterdam Tournament.

12:15pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Hull City vs Derby County - Coca-Cola Championship
(Please note late change to kick-off time.) LIVE coverage of this Championship match from the KC Stadium. K.O. 12:30 ET

Sunday

6:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Crystal Palace vs Leeds United - Coca-Cola Championship
LIVE coverage of this Championship match from Selhurst Park. Both sides reached the playoffs last season but have had plenty of upheaval during the summer. K.O. 07:00 ET

SPchief
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Boring

Bwana
08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
heh, I must..........

CHIEF4EVER
08-11-2006, 11:02 PM
heh, I must..........

:cuss: Bastige! ROFL

Bwana
08-12-2006, 12:22 AM
:cuss: Bastige! ROFL

:D

That's cool. Anyone that is a fellow home brewer is ok in my book.

RealSNR
08-12-2006, 12:47 AM
So... random pic time?

greg63
08-12-2006, 01:08 AM
So... random pic time?

Sure! Why not?

Nite Planet!

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Anyone know who is carring the Chelsea-Liverpool game tomorrow? Setanta isn't.

Sully
08-12-2006, 06:24 AM
What is Setanta, and who carries it?

memyselfI
08-12-2006, 06:29 AM
After the WC, MSL just ain't cutting it. We are going to have to invest in Setanta. I think that means signing up with DirecTV again. Something I SWORE I'd never do again. :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

But our soccer withdrawal needs serious fixing and Fox Soccer Network just ain't cuttin it.

memyselfI
08-12-2006, 06:30 AM
What is Setanta, and who carries it?

http://www.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/page?open&systemtitle=howtosubscribe

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 06:38 AM
After the WC, MSL just ain't cutting it. We are going to have to invest in Setanta. I think that means signing up with DirecTV again. Something I SWORE I'd never do again. :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

But our soccer withdrawal needs serious fixing and Fox Soccer Network just ain't cuttin it.

I was positively SHOCKED to find out that the Premiership was on Setanta this year. Previously it was on PPV. 15 bucks/month and I get to see the Premiership, Coca Cola Championship, Ereddivisie, UEFA Cup, Champions League, French 1st League....etc....etc....

WHAT A DEAL.

chief4life
08-12-2006, 07:00 AM
New soccer referee

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 07:12 AM
New soccer referee

That's just wrong. ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 07:47 AM
FINALLY! The ManU game is about to start.

Demonpenz
08-12-2006, 09:13 AM
soccer is for terrorists

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
3-0 Manchester U over Seville. Nice end to the preseason. Ronaldo and Saha both score.

Bwana
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
soccer is for terrorists

Oh damn! ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 11:13 AM
:D

That's cool. Anyone that is a fellow home brewer is ok in my book.
Funny you should mention that. I just started a batch of my 'World Famous' single decoction Isar Weizen. Next weekend will be bottling a nice, crisp lager. The Maerzen (Oktoberfest Bier) I brewed in April will be bottled in a few weeks. I can hardly wait. September is the best time of year. Chiefs regular season, Manchester United regular season in full swing, my birthday and Oktoberfest Bier.

Edit: My hops are almost ready for harvest as well. The bines are over 14' tall and full of hops.

|Zach|
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
http://static.flickr.com/54/146319819_9780ffcc07.jpg?v=0

jspchief
08-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Anyone know if the KC Wizards have played the Des Moines Menace yet?

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Enjoy your 2 year run while it still lasts. The trophy will return to where it belongs this year....Old Trafford.

Skip Towne
08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
What is Setanta, and who cares? Fixed it.

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 12:00 PM
After the WC, MLS just ain't cutting it.

What I have against the MLS is that the games don't mean as much. The team with the most points isn't necessarily the champion. In every other professional league in the world, the points winner in the regular season is the champ. Not so with the MLS. That is utter BS and it makes (IMHO) the games not mean as much. An MLS team can lose an extra game or 2 and still win the championship in the playoffs. That needs to be fixed.

Demonpenz
08-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Awe a gay pride parade

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Wait... since when was the Bundesliga on GolTV?

Since now, I guess.

JohnnyV13
08-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok..what the hell is a "community shield"? I ran into this playing english teams in manager mode on fifa 2006.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Those Dortmund kits are kind of spiffy, in some strange way.

Ooh, nice goal by Makaay.

What I have against the MLS is that the games don't mean as much. The team with the most points isn't necessarily the champion. In every other professional league in the world, the points winner in the regular season is the champ. Not so with the MLS. That is utter BS and it makes (IMHO) the games not mean as much. An MLS team can lose an extra game or 2 and still win the championship in the playoffs. That needs to be fixed.I don't mind that MLS has playoffs, simply because -- like promotion and relegation -- a single-table system would be hard for the average US sports fan (a market the league needs to tap into to grow) to swallow. The problem with the playoffs is that so many teams make them. If they were restricted to the top two teams in each conference, it would make those games much more meaningful.

The other problem, however, is that the bottom half of the table is meaningless, and nothing can change that, sadly. Relegation would be great as a way to stir up excitement in games between struggling teams, but we're just now getting to the point where there are a lot of people trying to get expansion franchises. How many investors do you think want to see their club get relegated and watch attendance drop by 10,000? Until people have long-standing attachments to the clubs that are currently only a decade old at the most, there's nothing we can do.

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok..what the hell is a "community shield"? I ran into this playing english teams in manager mode on fifa 2006.

It pits the FA Cup winner against the Premiership Champion. The curtain raiser for the Premiership season.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok..what the hell is a "community shield"? I ran into this playing english teams in manager mode on fifa 2006.It's basically a glorified friendly that's held every year. The defending Premiership and FA Cup champions face off to mark the start of the new season.

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Those Dortmund kits are kind of spiffy, in some strange way.

Ooh, nice goal by Makaay.

I don't mind that MLS has playoffs, simply because -- like promotion and relegation -- a single-table system would be hard for the average US sports fan (a market the league needs to tap into to grow) to swallow. The problem with the playoffs is that so many teams make them. If they were restricted to the top two teams in each conference, it would make those games much more meaningful.

The other problem, however, is that the bottom half of the table is meaningless, and nothing can change that, sadly. Relegation would be great as a way to stir up excitement in games between struggling teams, but we're just now getting to the point where there are a lot of people trying to get expansion franchises. How many investors do you think want to see their club get relegated and watch attendance drop by 10,000? Until people have long-standing attachments to the clubs that are currently only a decade old at the most, there's nothing we can do.

I would be OK with the top team in each conference playing a league championship game in the interim. Once the league gets good and established, I would go with points winner taking it all, only 1 table, and the bottom 3 teams getting relegated.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm glad the rumors were right.

2006-2007 English Premier League (EPL)

FOX Sports International (FSI) has sublicensed US and Canadian TV rights to an average of approximately 4 2006-2007 English Premier League (EPL) matches each week to Setanta Sports North America.

In the United States, FOX Soccer Channel and Setanta Sports USA will divide the 2006-2007 EPL season as follows:

* Saturdays at 7:30am ET: Setanta Sports USA
* Saturdays at 10am ET: Setanta Sports USA has the 1st and 3rd picks, FOX Soccer Channel has the 2nd and 4th picks
* Saturdays at 12noon ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Sundays at 8:30am ET or 9am ET: Setanta Sports USA
* Sundays at 11am ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Mondays at 3pm ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Tuesdays-Fridays: Setanta Sports USA has the 1st pick, FOX Soccer Channel has the 2nd pick

CHIEF4EVER
08-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm glad the rumors were right.

2006-2007 English Premier League (EPL)

FOX Sports International (FSI) has sublicensed US and Canadian TV rights to an average of approximately 4 2006-2007 English Premier League (EPL) matches each week to Setanta Sports North America.

In the United States, FOX Soccer Channel and Setanta Sports USA will divide the 2006-2007 EPL season as follows:

* Saturdays at 7:30am ET: Setanta Sports USA
* Saturdays at 10am ET: Setanta Sports USA has the 1st and 3rd picks, FOX Soccer Channel has the 2nd and 4th picks
* Saturdays at 12noon ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Sundays at 8:30am ET or 9am ET: Setanta Sports USA
* Sundays at 11am ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Mondays at 3pm ET: FOX Soccer Channel
* Tuesdays-Fridays: Setanta Sports USA has the 1st pick, FOX Soccer Channel has the 2nd pick

So how much does FSC cost above and beyond Setanta? Not that I absolutely need it but at the right price I am in.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 05:10 PM
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7113/1000808747mlx4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 05:13 PM
IT NEVER ENDS

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Barca vs. Red Bull New York is now live on FSC. 1-0 Barcelona in the 26th minute.

This is most likely going to be ugly. RBNY hasn't exactly been dominant this year, and Meola's already had to make some huge stops just to keep them in it. Barca's putting on a show.

Real Madrid at Real Salt Lake will be on FSC after this.

On the bright side for RBNY, their new stadium should be gorgeous.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Red Bulls with the equalizer! Good buildup, then a great ball from Kovalenko to Buddle, who takes a shot that's deflected into Djorkaeff's path. Really nice goal.

Paul Caliguri made a good point earlier about the speed and crispness with which the Red Bulls have been playing tonight, saying they're playing up to the level of their competition. It's unfortunate that teams can't get up for standard MLS games like this, because they'd be much more entertaining. It's there, in spurts (the now-stalled California Classico, for instance), but if every game had at least something that resembled this sort of tenacity, the league would be a lot more compelling.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow, Ronaldinho with the 360 and the shot, but Conway stops it.

EIDUR is on. Oh, how I'll miss him. :(

Messi to Ronaldinho, 2-1. Nice.

CHIEF4EVER
08-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Clint Dempsey: Ready to spread his wings
http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/features/football/dems.jpg
http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gifEast Texas is a far cry from the beaches of Ipanema. Even someone with a really wild imagination wouldn’t give it the football player factory tag.
At least not the football we just saw wobbling through the air in Germany.
Now, the pigskin version, the one soon to be seen spiraling across millions of televisions Stateside, that’s a different story. In the conservative sun bleached fields and pine forests of East Texas Football is religion and the Dallas Cowboys are it’s high priests.
Legions of lightning fast running backs and bone crunching linebackers are regularly recruited from these woods and many have joined the elite ranks of the NFL. YA Tittle, the legendary quarterback and iconic footballing figure came from humble East Texan stock. This month thousands of youngsters can be seen in full pads in triple digit Texan heat all chasing the dream that he helped create. High School football on a Friday night is an institution that even had Hollywood come calling.

Despite the slim pickings on the soccer front, incredibly the most exciting player in a US jersey in Germany last month hails from these parts.
Clint Dempsey, a lanky, mercurial, midfielder from Nacogdoches (the oldest town in Texas and Davey Crockett and Jim Bowie’s last stop before they went down to San Antonio to meet their maker at the Alamo) plied his trade not on floodlit perfectly manicured seething stadiums on balmy Friday evenings in Autumn, but rather on obscure dusty patches of dirt with tough as nails Mexican immigrant children.
Most times a decent football couldn’t be had so a hard as a rock basketball would do. Hand me down T-shirts mapped out the goals. Bare footed balls to the wall action was the norm and when the sun went down it was time to head home and patch up the cuts and bruises with not a cheerleader in sight.

Dempsey was the second of five children and according to his mother Debbie, the most likely to become a priest. Money was tight but the Dempsey family made sacrifices and the family patriarch, Aubrey, made sure that the kids had everything they needed to pursue their sporting dreams. First came Clint’s sister Jennifer, a promising tennis talent. Tragically she died at the tender age of 16 of a brain aneurysm. Clint was devastated but plunged into his passion for football with even more fervour.
His family sold their boat and hardly ever ate out so that Clint could afford to make the six hour round trip to Dallas three times a week to play soccer for the Dallas Texans youth side. His talent was evident early enabling the fiery Texan to represent tiny Furman University guiding them to NCAA success and scoring 17 goals in a stellar 62 cap career.
He was drafted ninth overall in the 2004 MLS Superdraft by the New England Revolution. In his first season with the ‘Revs’ he scored 7 goals and was named MLS rookie of the year beating out DC United phenom Freddy Adu. His toughness, forged in the Nacogdoches dirt, was in full effect when he played two games with a broken jaw.
The highlight of Dempsey’s career this far has been, without question, the sublime strike against Ghana courtesy of a superb DaMarcus Beasley pass. It was the only real moment of joy for a gutsy highly touted US squad in the land of lederhosen. When Dempsey came on the field and started to run at the Ghanaians the game changed and the lifeless American side seemed to get the kick in the arse that they needed.
The big European clubs took notice and there are murmurs that Stevie Nichol (yes, that Stevie Nichol) and the rest of the Revolution coaching staff might soon be bidding the talented Texan adieu as he spreads his wings for greener and much more lucrative pastures. According to the Washington Post he’ll make a mere $86,488 this year if he remains in New England. That’s the 10th highest on the roster and the lowest of any of the 23 man US national side. Ronaldinho makes $28,000 a day. That is all bound to change as Dempsey is sure to follow in Claudio Reyna’s footsteps (Reyna was the first US soccer millionaire).

When asked how he started with the Dallas Texans and if he was spotted by a scout, as was rumoured, Dempsey said: "No, I wasn't spotted by a talent scout. My brother went to Dallas, but he wasn't having a try-out, and we actually came late. They cut the try-out one day short.
“We left our information and the coach for my age group called my mom, asked if it was true that there was a kid for his age group to play. I ended up showing up and everything just worked out."

On his experiences as a soccer player in Gridiron country,

"It was fine to me. All I ever knew was soccer, really. It didn't really matter about anything else; I was so into it. So it wasn't a huge shock for me to play soccer, it's all I ever really knew and loved."

I also asked him if he ever saw himself representing the US on the biggest stage in sports.

"As a little kid, it was something I dreamed about. Did I know it was going to come true? No. I worked hard and it paid off."

On life in Boston for a country boy from Texas.

"I don't live in Boston, I live in Mansfield, Mass. So I wouldn't know what it's like to live in Boston. But I like living in Mansfield because it's out in the country. Well, not really the country, but it's a little more quiet and that's my style."

When asked what he missed the most…..

"I miss my family and I miss the fishing. So I'd say those are the two biggest things that I miss the most."

We wondered what he thought about Liverpool legend and his current coach Stevie Nichol?

"Yeah, it's great. He's a coach who's well accomplished and played well for Liverpool, and Paul Mariner's done well, too. He's done well with us. So to be under those two coaches is great. You learn a lot from them."

Dempsey is renowned for his eccentric goal celebrations, chief amongst them is the Bass Fisherman, the Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (3 clicks of the
heels) and jumping into the stands to kiss his mother. I asked him about the origins.

"I grew up watching more of a South American style of play. That's all I ever knew - what happened when they scored, and they showed a lot of emotion. It was something that kind of attracted me to the sport."

Nicknamed ‘Deuce’ and always in the number two we wondered why.

"The very first jersey I ever had was number two. I went to college, that was the number that was open and I didn't know at the time that my very first number was two, but I went with it. I was successful, came to the league and number two was open again, so I went with it again; if it ain't broke don't fix it. It just so happened that my very first jersey was two, so it's something that I'm going to try to be for the rest of my life.
That's how it came into play. I had to come up with a rap name, an artist name, and I thought 'Deuce' suited me well because that expressed who I am.
I'm somebody who loves soccer, and I'm number two."

His feelings on the World Cup……

"No, I hated it. (Nah, it was a great experience. It was the best experience of my life."

And that cracker against Ghana,

"It was my lifetime achievement so far, a highlight of my soccer career, and it just felt like you're on top of the world."

by Barry Hanley

CHIEF4EVER
08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Le Championnat is on Setanta now. Lille v Lens. 2-0 as it stands now. These dudes get away with a lot of roughhousing...the refs reluctantly pull cards. I like that, let em play.

CHIEF4EVER
08-16-2006, 04:07 PM
This weekend is going to be the shiznit. The EPL gets underway (the first game in the ManU return to dominance).

CHIEF4EVER
08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
This weekend's Premiership regular season openers on Setanta:

Saturday

7:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Sheffield Utd vs Liverpool - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Bramall Lane. The Blades will be hoping to upset the Reds on their return to the top flight. K.O. 07:45EThttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/spacer.gif9:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Arsenal vs Aston Villa - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from the Emirates Stadium. The Villains are the first team to visit the Gunners new stadium in the top flight. K.O. 10:00ET
2:30pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
West Ham vs Charlton - English Premiership
Same day coverage of this Premiership match from Upton Park. New Addicks' boss Iain Dowie will be hoping for a winning start to his reign.

Sunday - THE MAIN EVENT!

8:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Man Utd vs Fulham - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership match from Old Trafford. The Red Devils will be hoping to get their season off to the perfect start with a victory here.

Other football on Sunday

11:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Toulouse vs Nice - Le Championnat '06/07
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 match from the Stadium de Toulouse. The home side finished just above the relegation zone last season and will be looking to improve this term. K.O. 12:00 ET

2:30pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Bordeaux vs Lyon - Le Championnat '06/07
Live coverage of this match from the Stade Chaban-Delmas. The home side finished 2nd behind Lyon last season and will be hoping to gain first blood this term. K.O. 15:00 ET
10:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
PSV vs NEC Nijmegen - Eredivisie
Same day coverage of this Eredivisie game from the Philips Stadion. The defending champions will be hoping to get their defence of their title off to the perfect start against Nijmegen, who finished in mid-table last season.

This is gonna be a great weekend of football and a great season of football!

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 05:22 AM
DirecTV is running a free preview of Setanta today and tomorrow, presumably to celebrate my 21st birthday.

Seven minutes from the start of the year of the three-peat...

I have no love lost for the Blades, but I hope Sheff Utd shock the Scousers. :D

Moooo
08-19-2006, 05:31 AM
DirecTV is running a free preview of Setanta today and tomorrow, presumably to celebrate my 21st birthday.

I was going to give you birthday rep, but that guy with the mouths opening negates it... That thing is creepy!

Seriously, enjoy your day, and don't watch soccer all weekend!

Moooo

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Programming schedule for the week of August 19th/20th, 2006 (all times CDT):

English Premier League
Saturday 6:30 AM: Liverpool vs. Sheffield United Setanta
Saturday 8:30 AM: Arsenal vs. Aston Villa Setanta
Saturday 9:00 AM: Newcastle United vs. Wigan Athletic Fox Soccer Channel
Saturday 11:00 AM: Bolton* vs. Tottenham Fox Soccer Channel
Saturday 1:00 PM: Arsenal vs. Aston Villa Setanta
Saturday 1:00 PM: Middlesbrough vs. Reading* Fox Soccer Channel (Delayed)
Saturday 1:30 PM: Charlton vs. West Ham Setanta (Delayed)
Sunday 8:30 AM: Manchester United vs. Fulham* Fox Soccer Channel
Sunday 10:00 AM: Chelsea vs. Manchester City* Fox Soccer Channel
Tuesday 2:00 PM: Sheffield United vs. Tottenham Setanta
Tuesday 2:00 PM: Watford* vs. West Ham Fox Soccer Channel
Wednesday 2:00 PM Charlton vs. Manchester United Setanta
Wednesday 2:00 PM Middlesbrough vs. Chelsea Fox Soccer Channel

French Ligue 1
Sunday 10:55 AM: Toulouse vs. Nice Setanta
Sunday 1:55 PM: Bordeaux vs. Lyon Setanta

Eredivisie
Sunday 9:00 PM PSV Eindhoven* vs. NEC Nijmegen Setanta (Delayed)

German Bundesliga
Saturday 8:30 AM: Werder Bremen vs. Bayer Leverkusen GolTV
Saturday 10:30 AM: Aachen vs. FC Schalke 04 GolTV
Sunday 8:00: Nurnberg vs. Borussia M'Gladbach* GolTV
Sunday 10:00 AM: VfL Bochum vs. Bayern Munich GolTV
Sunday 12:00 PM: Arminia Bielefeld vs. VfB Stuttgart GolTV

Major League Soccer (National TV games only)
Saturday 3:00 PM: DC United vs. Colorado Rapids ESPN2
Saturday 6:30 PM: Columbus Crew vs. New York Red Bulls Fox Soccer Channel
Saturday 8:00 PM: Real Salt Lake vs. Houston Dynamo HDnet

Scottish Premier League
Tuesday 6:00 PM: Celtic vs. Inverness CT Setanta (Delayed)
Wednesday 6:00 PM: Hearts vs. Rangers Setanta (Delayed)

* Team contains Yank(s) Abroad

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 06:19 AM
I wish I could afford GolTV and FSC in addition to Setanta. I really wanted to see my Bundesliga (especially my beloved Werder Bremen) this year and it would be nice to see ALL the Premiership games.

Sheffield holding their own against Liverpool. Still 0-0. I would love to see Sheffield get a point out of this match. Mostly because I am a ManU fan and hate Liverpool, ARSEnal and Chelsea.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 06:26 AM
That was an inadvertant handball. Not necessary to card that. A bit harsh IMO.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 06:40 AM
0-0 at half. Sheffield with a bit of luck on their side. They had a few glaring defensive lapses that could have cost them big. Other than that, I am impressed with the energy they are showing.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 06:47 AM

Happy Birthday UP!

|Zach|
08-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Barca vs. Red Bull New York is now live on FSC. 1-0 Barcelona in the 26th minute.

This is most likely going to be ugly. RBNY hasn't exactly been dominant this year, and Meola's already had to make some huge stops just to keep them in it. Barca's putting on a show.

Real Madrid at Real Salt Lake will be on FSC after this.

On the bright side for RBNY, their new stadium should be gorgeous.
Awesome

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 06:54 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-0 Sheffield!

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 07:06 AM
That was a really nice goal off the free kick. Still 1-0...

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 07:18 AM
What a horrible effing call! No contact made but a penalty. 1-1.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 07:18 AM
That penalty call was pure crap.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 07:23 AM
That penalty call was pure crap.

No matter how you slice it. No contact was made. And even IF it was a penalty, an automatic Red should have been issued. Denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity per foul = automatic Red. The ref has his head up his arse.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 07:33 AM
What's funny is that Styles played advantage on the non-contact, let Gerrard get off a shot and fall down, and then called the penalty. What a joke.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 07:41 AM
At least they were held to a point, the bastards. In a fair world, they wouldn't have gotten anything.

Now it's time for the grand opening of Emirates Stadium.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 07:42 AM
End of travesty/game. 1-1. Liverpool got a gift to save the embarrassment of defeat by Sheffield.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 07:44 AM
At least they were held to a point, the bastards. In a fair world, they wouldn't have gotten anything.

Now it's time for the grand opening of Emirates Stadium.

Liverpool should have left that game with ZERO points. What a load of horseshite.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Y'know, I'm going to miss those kits Arsenal wore last year. They were really nice.

Emirates Stadium is gorgeous, of course.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Still 0-0. I will be shocked if ARSEnal don't win this one.

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 09:14 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL ASTON VILLA! 1-0!

CHIEF4EVER
08-19-2006, 09:44 AM
ARSEnal ties it up 1-1.

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:38 AM
LAAAAAADIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEES AAAAAAAAND GENTLEMEN! THE MAIN EVENT! ManU v Fulham....on now.

GO MANU!!!! GO BIG RED!!!

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:41 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOUIS SAHA!!!!!! 1-0 Good Guys!

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Reading is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year. Hopefully, they can shore up their defense, because they're going to score plenty of goals. Convey and Seol are an electrifying tandem on the wings.

LAAAAAADIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEES AAAAAAAAND GENTLEMEN! THE MAIN EVENT!Main Event? That's at 10.

McBride and Boca aren't even starting today...

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2006, 06:44 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOUIS SAHA!!!!!! 1-0 Good Guys!That was some awful marking by Rosenior.

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:48 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! WAYNE ROONEY!!!!!! 2-0 Good Guys!

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:49 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAYNE ROONEY!!!!!!!!!!! 3-0 Good Guys!

What an Asswhippin this is gonna be.

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Thank God McBride and Boca didn't start. :D

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:52 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! CRISTIANO RONALDO!!!!!!!!!!! 4-0 Good Guys!

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Thank God McBride and Boca didn't start. :D

No doubt. ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Lucky goal off the deflection. 4-1 Good Guys.

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 07:56 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! WAYNE ROONEY! 5-1 Good Guys!

Mc Bride gets to play now.

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2006, 08:26 AM
MCBRIDE WITH THE HAT TRICK! FULHAM COMPLETES A STUNNING COMEBACK! 6-5 FULL TIME! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! A GAME FOR THE AG--

Sorry, nodded off for a moment there.

CHIEF4EVER
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
MCBRIDE WITH THE HAT TRICK! FULHAM COMPLETES A STUNNING COMEBACK! 6-5 FULL TIME! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! A GAME FOR THE AG--

Sorry, nodded off for a moment there.

ROFL

That was a GREAT way to start the season. It also serves notice to Chelsea that they aren't going to have it all their way this year.

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2006, 06:14 PM
The main event (Setanta, 23 Aug):

All Times Eastern

2:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Match Day Livehttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/spacer.gif3:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Charlton vs Man Utd - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership match from the Valley. New Addicks' boss Iain Dowie will be hoping his side can cause an early-season upset and defeat the Red Devils. K.O. 20:00 ET

Setanta, 24 Aug:

12:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Champions League '06/07 - Group Stages Draw
Live coverage of the draw for the group stages of the Champions League from Monaco. The British teams will be hoping to avoid some of Europe's big guns.

Setanta, 25 Aug:

QPR vs Ipswich Town - Coca-Cola Championship
Live coverage of this Championship clash from Loftus Road. Both sides had disappointing finishes last season and will be looking for improvement this term. K.O. 14:45 ET

Liverpool snuck into the Champions League group stages. Look for them to exit early though....the bastards. :mad:

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Soccer is teh suck.

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Soccer is teh suck.

If you feel that way, why do you waste your time and keystrokes posting on a soccer thread? :shrug:

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Watford-West Ham was great. It was my first chance to get a look at DeMerit, and I could definitely see him being a possible partner for Gooch in the middle for the Nats at some point. He's a really sturdy presence in the back, seems to have a nose for the ball, and single-handedly kept Harewood from getting an amazingly good chance on goal in the first half.

What a great story; he comes out of total obscurity to make a CCC side, then helps lead them to the Premiership. Now he's in the big time, and doing well so far.

Marlon King's goal was spectacular, and even though Zamora's equalizer two minutes later was cruel and a bit of a heartbreaker for the home crowd, both teams put on a tremendously entertaining display.

Watford may not have the depth or quality to stay up, but they're going to be a ton of fun to watch.

Rausch
08-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Watford-West Ham was great. It was my first chance to get a look at DeMerit, and I could definitely see him being a possible partner for Gooch in the middle for the Nats at some point.

Between that and the pic I think someone had an Ultra manly Early Peanut...

CHIEF4EVER
08-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Watford-West Ham was great. It was my first chance to get a look at DeMerit, and I could definitely see him being a possible partner for Gooch in the middle for the Nats at some point. He's a really sturdy presence in the back, seems to have a nose for the ball, and single-handedly kept Harewood from getting an amazingly good chance on goal in the first half.

What a great story; he comes out of total obscurity to make a CCC side, then helps lead them to the Premiership. Now he's in the big time, and doing well so far.

Marlon King's goal was spectacular, and even though Zamora's equalizer two minutes later was cruel and a bit of a heartbreaker for the home crowd, both teams put on a tremendously entertaining display.

Watford may not have the depth or quality to stay up, but they're going to be a ton of fun to watch.

I didn't get a chance to see the game but if you say it was a good one - I'll take that as gospel. I missed a good one.

I am excited about the first ManU game but with a bit of temperance....it was Fulham after all. I expect Fulham to be relegated this year. The next 2 games without Rooney and Scholes will tell a lot about the character of this team. Fortunately, they are against Charlton and Watford. The game that has me worried is the Tottenham game. They rebounded well from their loss to Bolton and have some good talent....and we will still be minus Rooney and Scholes. Fortunately, Carrick is projected to be ready for the Watford game so we will have some quality midfield support for Watford and Tottenham. Perhaps if Karl-Heinz Rumennige stops being such a numpty, we could sign Owen Hargreaves by the deadline but I'm not holding my breath.

CHIEF4EVER
08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
GAME TIME!

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
If you feel that way, why do you waste your time and keystrokes posting on a soccer thread? :shrug:Wow, that is a SCORE! for you.

You win, 1-0

vailpass
08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow, that is a SCORE! for you.

You win, 1-0

ROFL

You could always dive to the ground and flop around like some little grade school bitch until the funny-boy ref pulls out one of those big, nasty, colored cards ( ohs noes!) *gasp* and gives you FREE KICK!!!

THUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

HemiEd
08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I know I am not supposed to post here, since I hate soccer but you fans may like it.
I was in Brazil last week, OMG are they ate up with it. At dinner they were excusing themselves to check scores of their soccer tournament that is going on. Similar to our NFL playoffs I guess.
We could see their Soccer stadium from our room in Sao Palo. It was on TV all the time. One of our hosts made it very clear that they have won 5 World Cups, more than anyone else. We asked them if they played any other sports and they said indoor Soccer.
The TV commercials and Billboards all featured Soccer players. Pretty strange at first, but I guess it makes sense. One of our hosts used to play on one of the Sao Palo teams and said he owned the town.
That is all, I still hate it but understand it a little better.

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Middlesbrough.

:banghead:

KC Dan
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Middlesbrough.

HAHAHAHA! The best ten minutes thus far in this early stages of the season. I loved every minute of Chelski's demise. I just hope that it continues. There is nothing worse in my opinion of a team owner buying championships. Chelski=NY Yankees

Chief Henry
08-24-2006, 12:17 PM
ROFL

You could always dive to the ground and flop around like some little grade school bitch until the funny-boy ref pulls out one of those big, nasty, colored cards ( ohs noes!) *gasp* and gives you FREE KICK!!!

THUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priceless ROFL

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2006, 02:19 PM
C4E: I must break you.

Group A
Barcelona
Chelsea
Werder Bremen
Levski Sofia

Group B
Inter
Bayern Munich
Sporting Lissabon
Spartak Moscow

Group C
Liverpool
PSV
Bordeaux
Galatasaray

Group D
Valencia
Roma
Olympiakos
Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E
Real Madrid
Lyon
Steaua Bucharest
Dynamo Kiev

Group F
Manchester United
Celtic
Benfica
FC Copenhagen

Group G
Arsenal
Porto
CSKA Moscow
Hamburger SV

Group H
AC Milan
Lille
AEK Athens
Anderlecht

Wa-Z
08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Chelsea and Barcelona should be a classic!

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 05:06 PM
ROFL

THUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!That is all of regulation time, now it is onto the little bit of stoppage time now folks.

CHIEF4EVER
08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Middlesbrough.

I just got home and am watching the ManU - Charlton game my wife taped for me. I got to listen to the Chelski - Middlesborough chokefest on Sirius. I listen to World Soccer Daily on Sirius every day and one of the hosts (Steve Cohen) is a Chelski homer. He normally goes on and on about how invincible/great/special/wonderful Chelski is. But after the chokejob and the Barca + Werder draw in the CL, he hasn't been back to work for 2 days. ROFL

ManU has had a good week thus far. Dismantled Fulham, punked Charlton despite being minus Rooney, Scholes, Carrick (bench) and Neville not to mention the GREAT draw in the CL. :clap:

CHIEF4EVER
08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
C4E: I must break you.

:p

My picks to advance in Green......

Group A
Barcelona
Chelsea.......WILL get punked by Werder. :p
Werder Bremen
Levski Sofia

Group B
Inter
Bayern Munich
Sporting Lissabon
Spartak Moscow

Group C
Liverpool
PSV
Bordeaux
Galatasaray

Group D
Valencia
Roma
Olympiakos
Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E
Real Madrid
Lyon
Steaua Bucharest
Dynamo Kiev

Group F
Manchester United
Celtic
Benfica
FC Copenhagen

Group G
Arsenal
Porto
CSKA Moscow
Hamburger SV

Group H
AC Milan
Lille
AEK Athens
Anderlecht

CHIEF4EVER
08-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Sat 26 Aug 2006 On Setanta

Liverpool vs West Ham United - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Anfield. Bellamy and Pennant will be looking to impress in front of the Kop on their home Premiership debut. K.O. 07:45ET

THE MAIN EVENT!

10:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Watford vs Man Utd - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Vicarage Road. The Hornets will be hoping to cause a huge upset at home to the Red Devils. K.O. 10:00ET

CHIEF4EVER
08-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaand the rest.

5:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
Charlton vs Bolton Wanderers - English Premiership
Same day coverage of this Premiership match from The Valley. Iain Dowie will be hoping to lead the Addicks to a home victory against Sam Allardyce's side.http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/spacer.gif6:45pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
Nice vs Lyon - Le Championnat
Same day coverage of this Ligue 1 match from the Stade Municipal Du Ray. The home side finished 8th in the table last season and will be hoping to upset the reigning champions.

Sun 27 Aug 06 On Setanta

All times Eastern

9:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Aston Villa vs Newcastle - English Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Villa Park. Martin O'Neill will be hoping to turn things around at the Midlands club and lead them to a top 10 finish in the league. K.O. 09:00http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/spacer.gif11:30amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Valenciennes vs Rennes - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 game from the Stade Nungesser. The home side finished top of Ligue 2 last season and will be hoping to carry some good form into this term. K.O. 12:00

St. Etienne vs Lens - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this match from the French top flight. St. Etienne will be looking to improve on last season's disappointing 13th placed finish in the table. K.O. 15:00

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Here's a glimpse at what the Wizards' new soccer-specific stadium could look like:

carlos3652
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
This is my first post in this thread,

I just wanted to let you know that Boca Juniors (my club) is in first place in the Argentina League @ 3-0-0... Carry on...

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 04:41 AM
Here's a glimpse at what the Wizards' new soccer-specific stadium could look like:

Looks sweet. Where do they plan on putting it?

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 05:49 AM
English Premier League
Saturday
6:30 AM - Liverpool vs. West Ham* (Setanta)
9:00 AM - Watford* vs. Manchester United* (Setanta)
9:00 AM - Everton* vs. Tottenham (FSC)
11:00 AM - Arsenal vs. Man City* (FSC)
1:15 PM - Reading* vs. Wigan (FSC, LIVE)
4:00 PM - Bolton* vs. Charlton (Setanta, Delayed)
Sunday
8:00 AM - Aston Villa vs. Newcastle (Setanta)
10:00 AM - Blackburn* vs. Chelsea (FSC)
Monday
2:00 PM - Middlesbrough vs. Portsmouth (FSC)

German Bundesliga
Saturday (GolTV)
8:30 AM - Bayern Munich vs. Nurnberg
10:30 AM - VfB Stuttgart vs. Borussia Dortmund
Sunday
10:00 AM - Hamburger SV* vs. Hertha BSC Berlin

La Liga (GolTV)
Saturday
3:00 PM - Valencia vs. Real Betis
Sunday
12:00 PM - Racing Santander vs Atletico Madrid
2:00 PM - AC Bilbao vs Real Sociedad
Monday
2:00 PM - Celta Vigo vs. Barcelona

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 05:59 AM
1-0 Hammers!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Bwaaaaaaaaaahahaha! I bet Nick (World Soccer Daily) is foaming at the mouth right now.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Agger, you asshole.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Bastard made a nice goal. Bad defensive lapse.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 06:32 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 06:42 AM
I hate that uncoordinated Walking Stick looking bastard.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 06:57 AM
What's the over/under on Gerrard doing the "Triple Lindy" before the final whistle?

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Offside Bellamy you BITCH!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Ah, well. West Ham played em' tough. They haven't won in Liverpool since the 60's.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Hannover's losing to Aachen. Geeze.

Three games in, and they're already in a tailspin.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 07:58 AM
It's DeMerit time!

And on FSC, Timmy.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Looks like Carrick and Solskjaer are starting, Neville is sitting out again.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Ronaldo nearly had that.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:13 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! Sylvestre!!!!!!!!!

1-0 GOOD GUYS.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Aww.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Oh, snap! Watford is LEVEL!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:36 AM
:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-1.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:38 AM
DeMerit better shut his trap or he's gonna get himself in trouble.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, 1-1 at half. Sylvestre with the opening goal and the brain fart that led to the Watford goal. I hope Neville gets back soon. He is the heart and soul of that back line.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Uggggggh, how did Henderson miss?!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM
DeMerit completely blew that.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:11 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! GIGGS!!!!! 2-1 GOOD GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 09:11 AM
DeMerit completely blew that.That was Darius Henderson, not DeMerit.

Oh, **** me.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:13 AM
That was Darius Henderson, not DeMerit.

Oh, **** me.

I realized that too late. :banghead:

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:14 AM
SHUT THE HELL UP FERDINAND!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Love him or hate him, Ronaldo has some SERIOUS ball skillz.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Park coming on for Solskjaer. That means Giggsy will move up front.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Nice first game for Carrick. Richardson coming on.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I can't believe he missed that!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 09:54 AM
3 Games won by the good guys! 10 goals, 2 given up, 9 points.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Clean sheet for Timmy. :)

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 10:10 AM
DeMerit played a heckuva game. Players like him are the future of US Football.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
DeMerit played a heckuva game. Players like him are the future of US Football.His story is ridiculous.

As a high school athlete in Wisconsin, Jay DeMerit participated in basketball and track, in addition to soccer. This athletic versatility probably helped him in college, where, finally focusing on soccer as his main sport, DeMerit transitioned from forward to defender. At the University of Illinois at Chicago, DeMerit formed part of a backline that helped lead the team into the NCAA playoffs in 2000.

DeMerit also played for the Chicago Fire Reserves – a PDL side associated with the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer. A teammate there suggested that he try out for non-league teams in England, as DeMerit was able to avoid work permit difficulties through his family, though it still took some time to apply.

Once in England, DeMerit landed a spot with Ryman League Northwood FC. His first match was against Coca-Cola Football League Championship side Watford, and he impressed so much that Watford invited him to join the team, eventually signing the defender to a one-year contract in the summer of 2004.

After only a few games, notably one against Real Zaragoza, DeMerit was able to showcase his strength, aerial ability and fitness. Watford was impressed enough to renegotiate a new contract with DeMerit, signing him for three years.

His first professional season saw him play 32 times, scoring three times for the Hornets. DeMerit was expected to play a major role in Watford's 2005/06 season, but lost his place and suffered a shoulder injury early in the season.

He regained his starting spot in October 2005 and played a major role as the Hornets reached the Premiership via the playoffs, with emphatic 3-0 wins over Crystal Palace in the semifinal and Leeds United in the final.

While principally a center back, DeMerit also lined up at left back and once as a striker during the 2005/06 season.

Having given him an improved two-year contract in January 2006, Watford repaid DeMerit's contribution to their promotion season by extending it a further year to 2009 in July of 2006.

International Career

To the surprise of many, Jay DeMerit has not been selected for any youth or senior national teams.He's really, really solid, and he definitely looks like he belongs in the Premiership. He'll be 30 when World Cup 2010 comes around, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him working alongside Gooch in South Africa.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 11:07 AM
His story is ridiculous.

He's really, really solid, and he definitely looks like he belongs in the Premiership. He'll be 30 when World Cup 2010 comes around, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him working alongside Gooch in South Africa.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him in S. Africa. It also wouldn't suprise me to see one of the 'big boys' (Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal, Tottenham) try to sign him at some point if he keeps up this level of performance.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Speaking of YAs, Jamal Johnson is tearing it up for Wolves in the CCC. Today he scored his second goal in as many games and led them to a 1-0 win over Luton.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Hreidarsson forked his team with his stupid intentional elbow to the face of Davies. Charlton with 10 men.

Calcountry
08-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Speaking of YAs, Jamal Johnson is tearing it up for Wolves in the CCC. Today he scored his second goal in as many games and led them to a 1-0 win over Luton.Exciting!

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Charlton leads 1-0 after a rather dubious penalty in the box.

Calcountry
08-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Charlton leads 1-0 after a rather dubious penalty in the box.It really is ashame that something like that should decide the game.

CHIEF4EVER
08-26-2006, 05:34 PM
It really is ashame that something like that should decide the game.

Actually it was the second goal that decided the game once and for all but I see your point. Just like in baseball or American football, a call can decide a game if it is done in the deciding moment. I am all for automatic video replay judgement on any call in the penalty area that was called a Penalty Kick.

CHIEF4EVER
08-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Villa with a goal in the first few minutes. Villa 1 - Newcastle - 0.

CHIEF4EVER
08-27-2006, 07:41 AM
2-0 Villa in the 38th minute. This is a different team altogether with O'Neill at the helm.

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Reports have it that Manchester United is going to be getting Trezeguet. That will give us some serious firepower up front and plenty of depth as well. Rooney and Trezeguet/Saha as starters, Smith, Rossi, Solskjaer and whichever of Trezeguet/Saha doesnt start. That means Giggs moves back to winger where he is at his best with Ronaldo, Carrick and Scholes filling out the midfield.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2006, 12:57 PM
No EPL games this weekend, due to Euro 2008 qualifying, but damn if there wasn't a lot of excitement at the end of the transfer window.

- West Ham swoop in and grab Tevez and Mascherano, to the shock of damn near everyone.
- Man City sells Sibierski to Newcastle, laughing all the way to the bank.
- DMB is picked up by Man City on a one-year loan, to the delight of Americans and Man City fans.
- Arsenal loan Reyes out to Real Madrid, pleasing the homesick Spaniard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Antonio_Reyes#Phone_Prank) greatly, and get Julio Baptista from Sevilla while dumping Cygan off on Villareal and picking up :deevee: William Gallas :deevee: in...
- A part-exchange deal which sends Ashley Cole to Chelsea for said French defender, 5 million pounds, and incentives*.

And honestly, that's just the tip of the damn iceberg.

* The £5m is an initial payment. Chelski will also pay Arsenal 1m a year for the duration of Cole's initial contract. Additionally, there are bonus clauses built in for Arsenal such that they are paid a fee for every trophy Chelski win while Cole is at the club. All told, the deal could eventually be worth Gallas plus £15m for Arsenal.

KC Dan
09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
- Arsenal loan Reyes out to Real Madrid, pleasing the homesick Spaniard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Antonio_Reyes#Phone_Prank) greatly.
- Arsenal also dump Cygan and pick up :deevee: William Gallas :deevee: in...
- A part-exchange deal which sends Ashley Cole to Chelsea for said French defender, 5 million pounds, and incentives*.

And honestly, that's just the tip of the damn iceberg.

And, Arsenal also picked up Julio Baptista. All of the transfers should make for a very interesting EPL season. But, as long a Chelski loses I'll be happy.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Here's a more complete rundown:

http://tinyurl.com/rw9ep

God. I'm exhausted just reading all of that.

Chief Henry
09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Pretty soon we can religate this thread to the dust
bins when the regular season starts.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
The Guardian, as always, was good for some amusing lines:

9.53pm Sky Sports News have just reported that Villarreal have offered Arsenal £2m to take Pascal Cygan away from Highbury (sic). Presumably Arsene Wenger left Cygan there when the rest of the club moved to the Emirates Stadium. We'll see how that one develops.

CHIEF4EVER
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
And, Arsenal also picked up Julio Baptista. All of the transfers should make for a very interesting EPL season. But, as long a Chelski loses I'll be happy.

Chelski = Real Madrid Part II. They have got too many "superstars" and no chemistry. We'll see how it goes as the season goes on.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Saturday on Setanta:

All times Eastern.

7:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Korea vs Iran - Asian Cup Qualifier
Live coverage of this Asian Cup Qualifier from Korea.

Georgia vs France - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Live coverage of this Group B game. The French will be hoping to bounce back from the World Cup Final defeat with an away win here.

http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif2:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Czech Republic vs Wales - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Live coverage of this Group D game from Prague. John Toshack has rebuilt the Welsh side and will be hoping to upset a Czech side without Pavel Nedved, who has retired from international football.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
4:15pm http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
Luxembourg vs Holland - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Same day coverage of this Group G game from Luxembourg. The Dutch had an impressive 4-0 win over Ireland in a recent friendly match and they'll be hoping to continue that good form here.

8:30pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
Georgia vs France - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Same day coverage of this Group B game. The French will be hoping to bounce back from the World Cup Final defeat with an away win here.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Wow. France is kicking the everloving sh*t out of Georgia. Not even a contest.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Time for the good game....Wales v Czech Republic.

Ultra Peanut
09-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I've never seen Wales play before.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I've never seen Wales play before.
They have some really good Premiership players like Giggs, Fletcher and Bellamy. The Czechs have Koller, Rosicki and Cech. This ought to be an exciting game.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Wales better tighten that defense up or Rosicki and Koller are going to have a field day.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Nice first half. 0-0. Both sides had their chances.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 01:50 PM
OFFSIDE!!!! OFFSIDE!!!! STUPID LINESMAN!!!!!!!!! 1-0.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 01:59 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!! THERE IS JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Unbelieveable. 2-1.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Great game overall. Czech Republic deserved the win.

CHIEF4EVER
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Sunday on Setanta: (All times Eastern)

12:30amCzech Republic vs Wales - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Full coverage of this Group D game from Prague. John Toshack has rebuilt the Welsh side and will be hoping to upset a Czech side without Pavel Nedved, who has retired from international football.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
2:30amKorea vs Iran - Asian Cup Qualifier
Full coverage of this Asian Cup Qualifier from Korea.
6:00amCrewe Alexandra vs Huddersfield Town - League 1
Full coverage of this League 1 game from Gresty Road. The home side were relegated from the Championship last season and they'll be hoping to bounce straight back this term.
3:00pmLuxembourg vs Holland - Euro 2008 Qualifier
Full coverage of this Group G game from Luxembourg. The Dutch had an impressive 4-0 win over Ireland in a recent friendly match and they'll be hoping to continue that good form here.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
5:00pmRed Hot News
All the latest news and gossip from Old Trafford, the home of the Red Devils.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
5:30pmMan Utd vs Man City
Another chance to see this game from the 2003/04 season when the Red Devils hosted their bitter rivals at Old Trafford.
http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

7:30pmReserves - Man Utd vs Blackburn
A look at highlights of the reserves' game against Blackburn.

http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif8:00pmGermany vs Ireland - Euro 2008 Qualifier
1st airing of this Euro 2008 Qualifier from Stuttgart. Steve Staunton's side will be looking to bounce back from last month's 4-0 thumping against Holland and get their qualifying campaign off to a good start.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

10:00pmPoland vs Finland - Euro 2008 Qualifier
1st airing of this Euro 2008 Qualifier. Poland will be hoping to improve on their disappointing display at the World Cup and pick up a home win here.

CHIEF4EVER
09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
The Crewe v Huddersfield game was AWESOME. I was surprised by the competitiveness of that game.

CHIEF4EVER
09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
This weekend is gonna be soooooooooo sweet (mostly). Football (soccer) on Saturday and Chiefs football on Sunday.

This weekend on Setanta: (all times Eastern)

Sat 9 Sep 06

Everton vs Liverpool - Premiership
Live coverage of the Merseyside derby from Goodison Park. David Moyes will be hoping that his new strike partnership of Beattie and Johnson can fire the Toffees to victory. K.O. 07:45ET
Chelsea vs Charlton Athletic - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Stamford Bridge. The Blues will be strong favourites to pick up three points against their London rivals. K.O. 10:00ET

3:30pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/sdc_btn_small.gif
Newcastle United vs Fulham - Premiership
Same day coverage of this Premiership match from St. James' Park. The Magpies will be hoping that new signings Duff and Martins can fire them to a home win against the Magpies.

Bastards. They didn't show ManU on my birthday. Instead I get the Scouser scum and the friggin Yankmees of the EPL (Chelski).

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Cahill puts the Blue Scouse on top. :D

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:15 AM
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GOAL!

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:18 AM
I hope Howard keeps a clean sheet this game.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:24 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-0.!!!!!!!

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:32 AM
You are a Scouser,
An ugly Scouser,
You're only happy,
On Giro day.
Your mum's out thieving,
Your dad's drug-dealing,
So please don't take my hubcaps away.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:36 AM
2-0 at half. The rateaters better tighten it up or it is 3 points for Everton.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Good God. A cornucopia of Champions League action during the week:

Tuesday
Chelsea vs. Werder Bremen - LIVE 1:30 PM, Setanta
Liverpool vs. PSV - LIVE 1:30 PM, ESPN2
Barcelona vs. Levski Sofia - 4 PM, ESPN Classic and Setanta
Bordeaux vs. Galatasaray - 8 PM, Setanta

Wednesday
Celtic vs. Man Utd - LIVE 1:30 PM, ESPN2
Hamburg vs. Arsenal - LIVE 1:30 PM, Setanta
Lyon vs. Real Madrid - 4 PM, ESPN Classic and Setanta
Porto vs. CSKA Moscow - 7 PM, Setanta

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Good God. A cornucopia of Champions League action during the week:

Tuesday
Chelsea vs. Werder Bremen - LIVE 1:30 PM, Setanta
Liverpool vs. PSV - LIVE 1:30 PM, ESPN2
Barcelona vs. Levski Sofia - 4 PM, ESPN Classic and Setanta
Bordeaux vs. Galatasaray - 8 PM, Setanta

Wednesday
Celtic vs. Man Utd - LIVE 1:30 PM, ESPN2
Hamburg vs. Arsenal - LIVE 1:30 PM, Setanta
Lyon vs. Real Madrid - 4 PM, ESPN Classic and Setanta
Porto vs. CSKA Moscow - 7 PM, Setanta

I can't wait. I think Werder will break it off in some Chelsea arse.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Mmm hmmmm...

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Dirk "THE UGLY ****" Kuyt is on.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Dirk "THE UGLY ****" Kuyt is on.

He reminds me of Jeff Spicoli. ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Nice save by Tim Howard on Kuyt's shot.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Another nice save by Howard. He has really improved.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Good gracious! 5 minutes of stoppage time?

Smed1065
09-09-2006, 07:39 AM
You can talk to yourself w/o bumping the thread I BET.............

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:40 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Nice game by Everton. 3-0.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Leeds-Wolves should be a fun CCC game; Eddie Lewis vs. Jamal Johnson.

You can talk to yourself w/o bumping the thread I BET.............NICE WORK CAPTAIN GENIUS MAN

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 07:57 AM
MAIN EVENT time. :p

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Chelsea v Charlton on now. Pisses me off that ManU isn't being shown. GOOOOOOOO Charlton!

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 08:03 AM
MAIN EVENT time. :p

Bastige!!!!!! You have FSC! :cuss::banghead:

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm gonna throw up. 1-0.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I still love Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I still love Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.Well, f--

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, that what was just, I suppose. Bad penalty, nice stop.

Sucks for Frankie, though.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Manchester United 1-0 over Tottenham. That makes 12 points in 4 games and 11 goals with only 2 being given up. Pretty darn good considering the number of starters that are missing. ManU #1 in the Premiership thus far. WooWoo

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I just got through watching the replay of Newcastle v Fulham on Setanta. In the space of 10 minutes Newcastle got humped with no lube by McBride and Bocanegra. ROFL

Great showing by the American players.

Now if the MLS would have had a clue and let Dempsey go, he could be sharpening his skills and the League would be 1.5 million richer. Instead, He is going to walk next year pissed off at the MLS and the League isn't going to get jack squat for him. Stupid if you ask me.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Deuce is going to be transferred in the winter window. The league doesn't want to part with him (or EJ, or Wolff) during the middle of the season.

I want to see him in Europe, but I can see their side of it, as frustrating as it is. $1.5 mil isn't really much to them in the grand scheme of things.

Charlton is apparently still very interested in him.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Deuce is going to be transferred in the winter window. The league doesn't want to part with him (or EJ, or Wolff) during the middle of the season.

I want to see him in Europe, but I can see their side of it, as frustrating as it is. $1.5 mil isn't really much to them in the grand scheme of things.

$1.5 million may not be all that much money but it is a hecuva lot better than letting him go on a free and pissing him off in the process. What is going to motivate him not to mail it in for the rest of the season? I think the more forward looking way to handle it is just to have let him go and parted on good terms. The future of football in America is people like him and other American players getting seasoned for some years against the top flight competition and then returning to end their careers here in the MLS (bringing that savvy and experience with them to raise the level of play). They are also our future coaches. Pissing them off is the surest way to get no cooperation from them later and hurts US football. JMHO.

Ultra Peanut
09-09-2006, 07:17 PM
They're not just trying to build the national team, though; they're also trying to build a league. Americans don't come out en masse for "minor league" sporting events, and selling off all of your best players every summer is a good way to look very minor league. Even if the reality is that MLS is a third-tier league, it can't afford to look so blatantly "minor league" to casual fans.

I really would have liked to see him go this summer, too, but he'll be gone in the winter, and on the bright side, have a couple of months' rest before getting into the thick of things rather than playing for 18 months straight.

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
They're not just trying to build the national team, though; they're also trying to build a league. Americans don't come out en masse for "minor league" sporting events, and selling off all of your best players every summer is a good way to look very minor league. Even if the reality is that MLS is a third-tier league, it can't afford to look so blatantly "minor league" to casual fans.

I really would have liked to see him go this summer, too, but he'll be gone in the winter, and on the bright side, have a couple of months' rest before getting into the thick of things rather than playing for 18 months straight.

Good points. Especially the 18 months of srtaight playing. I hadn't considered that. Consider this though: Argentinian and Brazilian teams make a huge amount of their income selling off players to Europe. Yet they never seem to lack talent or see a drop in competitiveness. Of course, their players are much better (in their leagues) than what we currently have domestically. The MLS is trying to make a permanent money making league but they are gonna have to go through growing pains to do so. Losing players every summer is one of those. They need to improve the marketing of teams and players, especially up and coming talent. I think they have made a couple of fundamental errors that could be easily rectified. Firstly, they don't make as big a deal out of the US Open Cup as they should. Secondly, it is hard to sell players or fans on the idea that every game is of life or death importance if 4 of the 8 teams go to the playoffs each year. The games don't mean squat then. That hurts fan interest and competitiveness. AT THE MOST only the 2 division champions should be playing for the title. Thirdly, MLS has to start getting more foreign coaches here to properly develop our young talent and also get bonafide football academies established. Again, JMHO

CHIEF4EVER
09-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Leeds-Wolves should be a fun CCC game; Eddie Lewis vs. Jamal Johnson.

So far a pretty good game. Both Johnson and Lewis have played pretty well thus far. Still 0-0 but not for lack of chances.

CHIEF4EVER
09-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Gonna be some GREAT games on tomorrow morning. Chelski v Scousers and ManU v ARSEnal.

CHIEF4EVER
09-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Gooooooooooolllll Portsmouth!

CHIEF4EVER
09-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Wow. Portsmouth wins in the Valley for the first time in 40 something years.

Ultra Peanut
09-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Pompey's resurgence is really something to behold.

CHIEF4EVER
09-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Pompey's resurgence is really something to behold.
I actually hope they can maintain it and at the very least get a UEFA Cup spot this year. Although it is early in the season, If Liverpool and ARSEnal both lose this weekend, their seasons could be in serious jeopardy.

Q: What's the difference between ARSEnal and a Triangle?

A: A triangle has 3 points. ROFL

EDIT: The Everton v Wigan game is a friggin snoozefest thus far.

CHIEF4EVER
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Bobby Convey and Reading beats the Blades 2-1. Was a fun game to watch.

CHIEF4EVER
09-17-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm gonna be sick. Chelski bastards 1-0 at half.

CHIEF4EVER
09-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Chelski can say g'bye to Ballack for 3 games. Sent....Off.....

CHIEF4EVER
09-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Damn. Game over, 1-0 Chelski. They are truly a bunch of cheating thuggish bastards.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Sissoko should've been sent off earlier. I won't really miss Ballack, though, to be quite honest.

Drogba's goal was gorgeous.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Arsenal take the lead in the 86th minute at Old Trafford!

Sweet goal.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Holy cats, I thought that was 1-1. Amazing stop by Lehmann.

Tchoupitoulas
09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Q: What's the difference between ARSEnal and a Triangle?

EDIT: The Everton v Wigan game is a friggin snoozefest thus far.

Pentagon baby, damn we need this. great game.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Full time!

Pompey at the top through 5 games. LMAO

KC Dan
09-17-2006, 12:04 PM
I
Q: What's the difference between Boychester UTD and a Triangle?

Fixed your post for you! hahahahahahahahahaha! 1-0 Gunners

CHIEF4EVER
09-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Fixed your post for you! hahahahahahahahahaha! 1-0 Gunners

Bastige! :cuss:

Ah, well, can't win EVERY game. It is gonna suck being without Giggsy for the next 3 weeks. He is the heart and soul of the left side of our attack as was painfully evident today. Rooney really needs to start stepping up.

CHIEF4EVER
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Great football weekend on Setanta. All times Eastern.

Saturday:

Liverpool vs Tottenham - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Anfield. Rafa Benitez's side will have to be wary of the threat posed by the potent Spurs' attack of Berbatov, Defoe and Keane.
http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif9:45amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Fulham vs Chelsea - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Craven Cottage. Chris Coleman's side will be hoping to repeat last season's triumph over the Blues. K.O. 10:00EThttp://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
10:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Manchester City vs West Ham - Premiership
THIS GAME IS AVAILABLE ON SETANTA XTRA ONLY. Live coverage of this Premiership game from the City of Manchester Stadium. Stuart Pearce's side will have to watch out for the double threat posed by Tevez and Mascherano. K.O. 10:00EThttp://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
12:00pmLe Championnat Highlights
Highlights from latest round of matches in Le Championnat. The weekend's big games included Marseille's clash with Bordeaux and Monaco's battle with PSG.

Sunday:

8:00amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Aberdeen vs Hearts - SPL
Live coverage of this SPL game from Pittodrie. Hearts need to pick up an away win to keep in touch at the top of the table but they won't have it easy against the Dons. K.O. 09:00ET
http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif11:30amGlobal Football
All the latest in world football from across all continents. An interesting mix of news, highlights, features and interviews.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
12:00pmFootball Asia Show
All the latest news from around the leagues of Asia. Also includes features and interviews.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
12:30pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Lens vs Monaco - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 game from the Stade Félix Bollaert. The away side are badly in need of the three points after losing four of their first six games. K.O. 12:30
3:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Nantes vs Marseille - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 game from the Stade de la Beaujoire. The home side have yet to win a game this season and will find it tough against Marseille, who are unbeaten. K.O. 15:00http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
Southend United vs Cardiff City - Coca-Cola Championship
Same day coverage of this Championship game from Roots Hall.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif7:00pmPremiership Highlights
Highlights from all the weekend's games in the English Premiership. Chelsea are looking to win their third title in a row.

CHIEF4EVER
09-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Liverpool came alive in the 2d half and spanked Tottenham 3-0. The Chelsea v Fulham game is a bit sloppy. Bad passing on both sides. A defensive battle thus far.....0-0 at half.

CHIEF4EVER
09-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Damn. Chelski gets a penalty goal. 1-0.

CHIEF4EVER
09-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Game, Set, Match....Lampard with a goal. 2-0.

Ultra Peanut
09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Come on, Reading. Take 'em down in the MadStad!

CHIEF4EVER
09-26-2006, 05:18 PM
What a Champions League game! The first half Manchester seemed to be in a shell. The second half Manchester possessed the ball much better and attacked much more effectively. Saha's goal was spectacular. In typical Portuguese fashion, Lisbon was the Portuguese Diving Team. Van Der Sar was brilliant. 1-0 United, great result.

|Zach|
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Chelsea\Levski Sofia about to kick off...

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
This is going to be fun.

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I think I'm going to have to settle down in front of the big screen with some "chip and dips" and finish organizing this photo essay I'm working on.

Woe is me.

CHIEF4EVER
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Chelsea should roll over Sofia. I don't see Liverpool losing at home to Galatasaray. The interesting game is going to be Werder Bremen v Barcelona.

|Zach|
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Drogba!

Chelsea up 1-0

|Zach|
09-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Dorgba again... 2-0 52nd min.

|Zach|
09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Holy shiat...mark down 3 goals for Drogba.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40712000/jpg/_40712950_drogba_270.jpg

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Heh... I had the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup final on in the background, and they're presenting the medals and trophy. I wasn't even paying attention, but I heard something about congratulating the runners-up LA Galaxy and involuntarily said, "**** them!"

My team isn't even in the league right now, and I cannot contain my hatred. LMAO

Hootie
09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
man, I hate soccer.

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 08:47 PM
man, I hate soccer.word up my nigga

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, Crouch's goal against Galatasaray was amazing. That awkward bastard is deceptively coordinated.

listopencil
09-27-2006, 11:32 PM
man, I hate soccer.

CHIEF4EVER
09-29-2006, 06:27 PM
LMAO
Funny stuff.

Head-chest butt issue still rolling
It's the story that seems to run and run. If you thought that Zinedine Zidane's retirement would mark the end of the tale of 'that' head-butt then you were wrong. So very, very wrong.
The 'victim' Marco Materazzi revealed last week that the remark that caused the Frenchman's fit of pique was a less than charming quip about 'having' Zidane's sister and his latest remark is sure to raise eyebrows in the French legend's household.
Materazzi, who is developing a real flair for diplomacy, has invited Zizou round to his house for tea and apologised to the midfielder's sister - kind of.
"I dragged his sister into it so today I can apologise to his sister. I am not ashamed of what I said because these things happen and I would never have reacted in the same way. I am happy to give him the address of my house in Chieti where we can meet. I can give him my shirt and we can shake hands. FIFA can take a nice photograph," said Materazzi.
So that's clear them. The Italian is saying sorry for something he is not ashamed of and he has a pop at Zizou's reaction...

http://www.setanta.com/portal/content/funnies

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Just curious, has anybody ever read or seen anything about the world of firms and hooligans? I saw a couple of movies about it and I have to say it's just as interesting if not more than the game itself and I'm not a Soccer hater.

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Another great weekend of football on Setanta. All times Eastern.

Saturday 30 Sep

Bolton Wanderers vs Liverpool - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership match from the Reebok Stadium. El Hadji Diouf will be hoping to score against his old club and condemn the Reds to another league defeat. K.O. 07:45EThttp://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

Charlton vs Arsenal - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership match from The Valley. Iain Dowie's men will be hoping to pick up a home win against the Gunners, who have struggled for form so far in the league. K.O. 10:00ET

Sunday 1 Oct THE MAIN EVENT!

8:55amhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
Manchester United vs Newcastle United - Premiership
Live coverage of this Premiership game from Old Trafford. The Red Devils will be hoping to pick up three points against the Magpies to keep up the pace at the top of the table. K.O. 09:00ET

And also:

Nancy vs Lens - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 match from the Stade Marcel Picot. Nancy have started the season with some great home form and they'll be looking to pick up another 3 points here. K.O. 12:00ET

3:00pmhttp://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/portal/common/live_btn_small.gif
St Etienne vs PSG - Le Championnat
Live coverage of this Ligue 1 match from the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard. The home side will be looking to pick up 3 points against PSG, who have made a poor start to the season. K.O. 15:00EThttp://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

West Ham vs Reading - Premiership
Same day coverage of this Premiership game from Upton Park. The Hammers will be hoping that Tevez and Mascherano can fire them to a victory against their newly-promoted opponents.http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

7:00pmChampions League Weekly
All the latest news from Europe's premier club competition. Also includes highlights of recent games interviews with top players.

http://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif
7:30pmMan Utd vs Middlesbrough - Reserve Highlightshttp://www.setanta.com/images/spacer.gif

8:00pmRed Hot News
All the latest news and gossip from Old Trafford, the home of the Red
Devils.

On Setanta Premium (channel 670):

Sun 1st Oct - SPL
9.00am ET Falkirk v Celtic
http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/live_btn_small.gif

Sun 1st Oct - SPL
10.00am ET Rangers v Aberdeen
http://www.setanta.com/images/setanta/websitena/buttons/live_btn_small.gif

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 06:41 AM
The Scousers down 1-0 to Bolton after a VERY questionable penalty and subsequent free kick. Should be 0-0 IMO.

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 06:58 AM
2-0 Bolton!

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Game over. 2-0 Bolton.

Skip Towne
09-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I think those players just look dreamy in those little outfits.

09-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Quick question for Chief4ever..

Is this man going to be the new coach of US soccer???

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/futis/ulkomaiset_maajoukkueet/335047.jpg

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Quick question for Chief4ever..

Is this man going to be the new coach of US soccer???

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/futis/ulkomaiset_maajoukkueet/335047.jpg
Lord I hope so. If some assclown like Sven Erickson gets the job I may consider Seppuku. Time to open the checkbook USSF!

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 08:00 AM
ARSEnal v Charlton on now. Ought to be good.

09-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Lord I hope so. If some assclown like Sven Erickson gets the job I may consider Seppuku. Time to open the checkbook USSF!
Yeah..I hear that..They need a coach who knows how to play the europian/south american style..Those guys know how to foul and get away with it..the US team is too much of a finesse team to be able to compete with those players..

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah..I hear that..They need a coach who knows how to play the europian/south american style..Those guys know how to foul and get away with it..the US team is too much of a finesse team to be able to compete with those players..

I was a fan of Klinsmann when I lived in Germany and he is a national hero there. He won a World Cup as a player and scored 3 goals in the process. He also did pretty damned good as a Coach in the last World Cup. He lives in California and is married to an American. I can't imagine a better fit for the US National Team.

09-30-2006, 08:18 AM
I was a fan of Klinsmann when I lived in Germany and he is a national hero there. He won a World Cup as a player and scored 3 goals in the process. He also did pretty damned good as a Coach in the last World Cup. He lives in California and is married to an American. I can't imagine a better fit for the US National Team.
Thanks for the info..I know who he is..Him and Rudy Voller led them in 1990 to the cup..

But,I did not know he was married to an american..

He would be the best fit..I agree

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info..I know who he is..Him and Rudy Voller led them in 1990 to the cup..

But,I did not know he was married to an american..

He would be the best fit..I agree

Yep, Ruuuuuuuuuuuudiiiiiiiii. What a team that was. :thumb:

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Darren Bent! 1-0 Charlton!

CHIEF4EVER
09-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Van Persie should have gotten straight red for that stupid challenge.