PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: 5 things Chiefs coaches will have in mind tonight

Coach
08-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Who are the No. 4 and 5 receivers?

Jeris McIntyre got a vote from quarterback Trent Green this week, and Nate Curry has looked good in camp. This is a night that rookie Jeff Webb could make a push, too, while Craphonso Thorpe is stuck back in River Falls.

Who will win the battle of the trenches?

Sounds boring, but this is what new coach Herm Edwards will be watching the most. “That’s where you build your football team,” Edwards said. “You build it in the middle. We’ve talked about being physical. You have to be physical, especially when you go on the road.”

How about those young safeties?

Get used to hearing the names Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page. They’ll play a decent amount tonight, and you’ll see them frequently when the games actually count.

How will Kyle Turley look in live action?

It’s been two years since Turley played, and the Chiefs are putting a lot of hope on his injured back. When the Chiefs lost left tackle Willie Roaf for several games last year, it put them in a temporary tailspin.

Who the heck is Derrick Ross?

He’s a no-name running back from Tarleton State, but he’s been impressive since his acquisition as a free agent, and it will be interesting to watch him, receiver Kyle Brown and a bunch of other young players. Edwards isn’t afraid to play the free-agent rooks, and maybe one of them can catch his eye enough to hang around in September.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15256548.htm

hypersensitiveZO6
08-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Merill gave a lot of effort on this one.

Most Chiefsplaneteers could have wrote this, IMO.

jspchief
08-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm holding out hope that Webb is the type of guy who shows up better on gameday than in practice.

The guy was incredibly productive in college, but hasn't looked that good in practice so far. Hopefully the bright lights and big stage help him emerge.

Hydrae
08-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Most Chiefsplaneteers could write this "article."

No way! I am here pretty much every day and I have never even heard the name of Derrick Ross or Kyle Brown. 'Lizabet is the queen of sports reporting.

Hydrae
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
No way! I am here pretty much every day and I have never even heard the name of Derrick Ross or Kyle Brown. 'Lizabet is the queen of sports reporting.

Oh, I suppose I should have added a couple of these:

:p :D :p

KChiefs1
08-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Pollard & Page will be the ones I'm watching...

FringeNC
08-12-2006, 02:04 PM
What's the anticipated quarterback rotation tonight?

NewChief
08-12-2006, 02:09 PM

Most Chiefsplaneteers could have wrote this, IMO.

No kidding. I had seen Demonpenz "keys to the game" thread title right before I clicked this one. I thought I was reading his thread until I saw the URL to the Star and remembered it was her thread I was reading.

tk13
08-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I think Trent gets one series... then Casey Printers, Casey Printers, Casey Printers. And Casey Printers. Maybe Jeff Smoker gets some garbage time late in the 4th. But really, Casey Printers.

ChiefFan31
08-12-2006, 02:39 PM

I think its pretty much going to be Trent Green with the starters for about the first quarter, then Casey Printers running with the 2 and 3's.

We will see A LOT of Casey Printers tonight. Not sure if Smoker will play. Maybe the very last part...

That is pretty much what Herm said.

Edit- TK beat me to it

cmh6476
08-12-2006, 02:40 PM
why is crap at RF?

Coach
08-12-2006, 03:18 PM
why is crap at RF?

I'm guessing some type of a injury to keep him there. :shrug:

HemiEd
08-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm guessing some type of a injury to keep him there. :shrug:

Shoulder I think. I thought I read that somewhere.