PDA

View Full Version : Who stood out to me in the game...

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 01:45 PM
The Good (in order of importance)

#1 - Kyle Turley

Yes, he looks like a TE, but his feet were great, he pulled well, he did a great job of pushing his guy outside and away from the play, and he even picked up the blitz a couple of times.

#2 - James Reed

He struggled to get pressure on passing downs but was absolutely shutdown against the run. He sure looks small out there.

#3 - Mike Solari

For all the talk about "3 yards and a cloud of dust" the offensive playcalling on the 1st two series looked an awful lot like Saunders.

#4 - Ronnie Cruz

For as much as he played, he displayed soft hands and never missed his assignment that I saw.

#5 - Dustin Colquitt

Definitely added some distance to his kicks this offseason. Now if only we could fix our coverage.

The Bad (in order of importance)

#1 - Eric Hicks

Tamba Hali, we NEED you. Hicks not only can't read the bootleg properly, but when touched he goes down faster than a Vegas hooker. Hali is very good at backside pursuit, so even if he does crash inside like Hicks, he can hopefully get back outside, which Hicks can't do.

#2 - Ron Edwards/Ryan Sims/Lional Dalton

Paging #2 defensive tackle. Hello? Anybody? I certainly did not see what other people saw last night. I think there's been so much talk about "Reed and Edwards" that people have linked them subconsciously in their minds. Edwards did nothing against the pass and wasn't that good against the run either. Sims and Dalton were, well, Sims and Dalton.

#3 - Kevin Samspon

Hopefully he's just knocking off the cobwebs. He made a nice block on the Dee Brown TD run, but he also struggled in pass blocking.

#4 - Kendrell Bell

He had two chances to make tackles that I saw, and he whiffed on both of them. And Fox once again did just well enough to make people talk about it.

#5 - Casey Printers

To be fair, the guy doesn't know the offense. But life isn't fair and if Green goes down, Printers has to be more ready than this.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 01:50 PM
As love as I love Trich. We will be fine without him. Cruz did a good job blocking and getting his ass turned to seel off the holes. Tony Richardson has his masters degree.

milkman
08-13-2006, 01:51 PM
#3 - Kevin Samspon

Hopefully he's just knocking off the cobwebs. He made a nice block on the Dee Brown TD run, but he also struggled in pass blocking.

You have the game TiVoed?

Watch the difference in Sampson with Green in and with Printers.

His pass blocking seemed to be outstanding with Green.

I think he struggled because he was afraid of actually pushing the DE into Printers on the run.

blueballs
08-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Printers must have been instructed
to stay in the pocket if you want to
make the roster

hypersensitiveZO6
08-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I give honorable mention to Shane Burton and Clint Mitchell.

Not spectacular performances, but relatively decent.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Printers must have been instructed
to stay in the pocket if you want to
make the roster

I thought they talked to herm and they told him to look clueless?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I noticed Sampson getting beat by Mario Williams. Green still got the pass off but Williams put a nice spin move on Sampson.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Chris Bober. He sucked with the first team. Weak link.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Lawrence Tynes kicks. I don't think he even put one in the end zone.

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
You have the game TiVoed?

Watch the difference in Sampson with Green in and with Printers.

His pass blocking seemed to be outstanding with Green.

I think he struggled because he was afraid of actually pushing the DE into Printers on the run.

I'll go back and watch it again.

Printers was just awful. I just don't think he has the instincts. Reminds me of Vick.

blueballs
08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
that worked for the defense for years

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I noticed Sampson getting beat by Mario Williams. Green still got the pass off but Williams put a nice spin move on Sampson.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Chris Bober. He sucked with the first team. Weak link.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Lawrence Tynes kicks. I don't think he even put one in the end zone.

Yeah, I was going to mention Tynes but I just didn't see him as one of the 5 most important weak links. His kickoffs were short, but the bigger problem is the coverage units. AGAIN.

And while Bober struggled, I don't expect to see him again once the regular season starts, so he didn't make the list either.

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
That was a weird play with Cruz, though, where he caught the pass and then lost his balance turning upfield and ended up stepping out of bounds. If it happens once, I'll write it off to a fluke. If it happens again, I'll wonder about his body control.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-13-2006, 02:25 PM
So far the <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> fluff doesn't look so good

Dalton is an animal?

angle kicking was the problem for Tynes?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 02:27 PM
The KC Star first reported the stuff about Tynes. And they aren't at fault, either. Tynes is the one that's full of shit.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
The KC Star first reported the stuff about Tynes. And they aren't at fault, either. Tynes is the one that's full of shit.

The kickoffs are aggravating at times, but I hope he has more confidence in his leg this year.

He had a decent year last year, but I still don't fell comfortable at all when he is kicking at crucial times in the day.

ChiefFan31
08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
#1 - Eric Hicks

Hicks not only can't read the bootleg properly, but when touched he goes down faster than a Vegas hooker.

ROFL ROFL

Nice breakdown

Rep!

08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
How about Ryan Sims: Motivated and Determined? And what about all that talk about Derek Ross?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 02:31 PM
What about them? None of those articles were factually incorrect. They were reporting on what Sims said. The fact that he's full of shit is sad.

And Derek Ross will play.

08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
What about them? None of those articles were factually incorrect. They were reporting on what Sims said. The fact that he's full of shit is sad.

Well then I guess it all depends on who you're going to ask, because you're going to get the same answers from all of them

dirk digler
08-13-2006, 02:38 PM

Who is Derek Ross?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
An undrafted free agent running back that's been impressive in camp.

dirk digler
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
An undrafted free agent running back that's been impressive in camp.

Thanks. You think he is going to make the 53 man roster or Practice Squad?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I think he'll be the third running back. The way people have been talking he's better than any of the scatbacks like Q or Dee Brown. He goes about 230 pounds.

dirk digler
08-13-2006, 02:43 PM
I think he'll be the third running back. The way people have been talking he's better than any of the scatbacks like Q or Dee Brown. He goes about 230 pounds.

Did he play last night I don't remember him?

chief2000
08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
The Good (in order of importance)

#1 - Kyle Turley

Yes, he looks like a TE, but his feet were great, he pulled well, he did a great job of pushing his guy outside and away from the play, and he even picked up the blitz a couple of times.

#2 - James Reed

He struggled to get pressure on passing downs but was absolutely shutdown against the run. He sure looks small out there.

#3 - Mike Solari

For all the talk about "3 yards and a cloud of dust" the offensive playcalling on the 1st two series looked an awful lot like Saunders.

#4 - Ronnie Cruz

For as much as he played, he displayed soft hands and never missed his assignment that I saw.

#5 - Dustin Colquitt

Definitely added some distance to his kicks this offseason. Now if only we could fix our coverage.

The Bad (in order of importance)

#1 - Eric Hicks

Tamba Hali, we NEED you. Hicks not only can't read the bootleg properly, but when touched he goes down faster than a Vegas hooker. Hali is very good at backside pursuit, so even if he does crash inside like Hicks, he can hopefully get back outside, which Hicks can't do.

#2 - Ron Edwards/Ryan Sims/Lional Dalton

Paging #2 defensive tackle. Hello? Anybody? I certainly did not see what other people saw last night. I think there's been so much talk about "Reed and Edwards" that people have linked them subconsciously in their minds. Edwards did nothing against the pass and wasn't that good against the run either. Sims and Dalton were, well, Sims and Dalton.

#3 - Kevin Samspon

#4 - Kendrell Bell

He had two chances to make tackles that I saw, and he whiffed on both of them. And Fox once again did just well enough to make people talk about it.

#5 - Casey Printers

To be fair, the guy doesn't know the offense. But life isn't fair and if Green goes down, Printers has to be more ready than this.

You sure Edwards wasn't double teamed ?

Hammock Parties
Did he play last night I don't remember him?

No, he didn't play. I'm assuming they wanted to give Q a long look.

RealSNR
Who is Derek Ross?The next Brian Shay

milkman
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM

He was on a number of plays, but he didn't really make an impression when he was blocked one on one either, IMO.

dirk digler
08-13-2006, 02:49 PM
No, he didn't play. I'm assuming they wanted to give Q a long look.

Thanks again Gochiefs.

So it looks like LJ and Bennett as 1 and 2 RB and a fight between Dee Brown, Ross, Mckenzi Smith and Q for the 3rd spot.

I just looked at the Chiefs depth chart and Ross is listed 5th. I bet he is on the practice squad.

wazu
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Turley looked every bit as good as Big Willie on pass protection, but his run blocking was kinda weak.

Still encouraging to see such good pass protection. In fact in my opinion he might have even looked a little better in pass blocking than Willie looked last year.

C-Mac
08-13-2006, 03:00 PM
No one feels the pocket better than Green. I think Printers could have avoided at least 4 sacks just by stepping up... instead of backward.

Skip Towne
08-13-2006, 03:27 PM
The next Brian Shay
More like Mike Cloud.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-13-2006, 03:32 PM
More like Mike Cloud.

Welcome back Skip Towne from wherever you were!

I didn't really know you before anyway, but I hear you're a huge KU fan. :thumb:

MAJOR one here. :KU:

This is our year IMO.

Rock Chalk, skip!

tiptap
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Dixon. The guy played in Europe so I can't imagine he could go the season long but he looked good amoung a defense that was on its heels late in the game. It is time to move him up the depth chart.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2006, 03:42 PM
How about Ryan Sims: Motivated and Determined? And what about all that talk about Derek Ross?Fluff pieces are useless, regardless who writes them.

rad
08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I wish I could've seen it.

I need a Chiefs fix bad.

Can't wait till the 17th @ NY.

Sure-Oz
08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I wish I could've seen it.

I need a Chiefs fix bad.

Can't wait till the 17th @ NY.
you really didnt miss much, it was boring as hell, and basic pre-season.

rad
08-13-2006, 03:54 PM
you really didnt miss much, it was boring as hell, and basic pre-season.

As long as it's the Chiefs, it's not boring to me.

I like watching the backups to see our depth.

Sure-Oz
08-13-2006, 03:57 PM
As long as it's the Chiefs, it's not boring to me.

I like watching the backups to see our depth.
Fortunately you didn't see that either.... :shake:

Serious note though, I am looking forward to thursdays game and expect alot more.

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 04:54 PM

I saw Reed get double-teamed a few times, and saw Sims double-teamed, but really didn't see too many times Edwards was doubled. What's really sad is that Dalton was never doubled and he just looked like junk...

Halfcan
08-13-2006, 05:06 PM
I thought Q looked pretty good-I hope he makes the cut.

milkman
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Welcome back Skip Towne from wherever you were!

I didn't really know you before anyway, but I hear you're a huge KU fan. :thumb:

MAJOR one here. :KU:

This is our year IMO.

Rock Chalk, skip!

Shut up n00b!

chief2000
08-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I need to see some more preseason games to better evaluate !!!

whoman69
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Not to defend Hicks because I think he should be gone, except perhaps as a backup, but the bootlegs were to Allen's side. The fact is that a mobile QB on the run is going to be faster than most DEs in the league. We needed to keep a LB in there to cover it. DJ and Bell should both have enough speed to contain.

milkman
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Not to defend Hicks because I think he should be gone, except perhaps as a backup, but the bootlegs were to Allen's side. The fact is that a mobile QB on the run is going to be faster than most DEs in the league. We needed to keep a LB in there to cover it. DJ and Bell should both have enough speed to contain.

What game were you watching?

Spicy McHaggis
08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I just got to watch the game with my family on TiVo. My mom, whose usual football game contribution is "Oh my gosh!! Look how small he is!" whenever she sees Dante Hall on screen made a comment about how number #90 kept getting stood up. No prior knowledge on who Sims was or that he's a lazy POS, just her making her one observation of the game. If my mom can see it, so can the coaches.

Too bad we really don't have anyone else.

Reaper16
08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Derrick Ross can be put on the practice squad, I bet. Even still, he's a nice option. He has the physical tools to contribute.

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Did you watch the game?

There were 3 bootlegs in the first 2 series' and all of them were over Hick's side...

htismaqe
08-13-2006, 07:58 PM
I just got to watch the game with my family on TiVo. My mom, whose usual football game contribution is "Oh my gosh!! Look how small he is!" whenever she sees Dante Hall on screen made a comment about how number #90 kept getting stood up. No prior knowledge on who Sims was or that he's a lazy POS, just her making her one observation of the game. If my mom can see it, so can the coaches.

Too bad we really don't have anyone else.

Actually, James Reed was pretty good...

Spicy McHaggis
08-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually, James Reed was pretty good...

Yeah, I noticed that he did play pretty well. But as Herm has said, he'll probably on be in on half the snaps due to the nature of the rotation. My comment I guess was aimed more at the lack of a push by anyone else.