PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is missing the big picture about the Texans Game. . .

mac58
08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
No major injuries. . .to me that is a successful preseason game. . .

Halfcan
08-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Yep 3 more to go! Good point.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for jinxing us.

Logical
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
This is indeed a fact.

FloridaMan88
08-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I think Hicks bruised his mangina

mac58
08-13-2006, 08:20 PM

lololololol

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I was hoping this was a thread about Jumbotrons.

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 09:12 PM

I'd like to see you say that in front of him. :stupid: :$2500: :deevee:

morphius
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see you say that in front of him. :stupid: :$2500: :deevee:
shit, all he would have to do is fake like he is going to run to the left, spin around and run the other direction.

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
shit, all he would have to do is fake like he is going to run to the left, spin around and run the other direction.

But if you spun around wouldn't you then just be running right towards him again? :p

morphius
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
But if you spun around wouldn't you then just be running right towards him again? :p
One would think so, but oh no, not with Hicks. He will have bit so hard on the fake that he would take another 5 steps in the wrong direction before he realizes that you are now going the other way.

I know this would work, there is plenty of tape proving it.

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
One would think so, but oh no, not with Hicks. He will have bit so hard on the fake that he would take another 5 steps in the wrong direction before he realizes that you are now going the other way.

I know this would work, there is plenty of tape proving it.

All joking aside, or are you serious? Really I am sick of the Chiefs' doing their best impression of the keystone cops when the QB bootlegs. But it's not just Hicks. The WHOLE DEFENSE is being pulled to that side. It's not just one player. The whole freaking defense. If it weren't for the ball being handed off they'd chase the fake all the way into the stands.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
All joking aside, or are you serious? Really I am sick of the Chiefs' doing their best impression of the keystone cops when the QB bootlegs. But it's not just Hicks. The WHOLE DEFENSE is being pulled to that side. It's not just one player. The whole freaking defense. If it weren't for the ball being handed off they'd chase the fake all the way into the stands.

On the bootleg that DE is the one responsible for trying to block the bootleg route.

I think the bootleg isn't exactly easy to defend, though. He's not good at it, but its an effective play anyway. A team who used it very effectively made it to the AFC Championship last year (and on the shoulders of an sometimes sketchy QB).

He just needs to work on staying in his lane and not overpursuing, especially in running situations.

Moooo

morphius
08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
As Moo said, it is the DE's job to contain, and Hicks has never been able to do it. It is very hard to do, and it happens pretty fast, but some players learn to stop it quicker then others, and the fact that they only ran it to Hicks side says something. The OLB behind him has to crash in because of the cut back lanes, and the CB has to stay on his guy because if he comes up then it is a wide open reception for a huge gain. But if the handout is going that wide to the left side, then a cutback to Hicks hole is almost impossible, so breaking up the field will force the OT to either hold him or he will be there to mess up the QB's release in the least.

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 10:09 PM
On the bootleg that DE is the one responsible for trying to block the bootleg route.

I think the bootleg isn't exactly easy to defend, though. He's not good at it, but its an effective play anyway. A team who used it very effectively made it to the AFC Championship last year (and on the shoulders of an sometimes sketchy QB).

He just needs to work on staying in his lane and not overpursuing, especially in running situations.

Moooo

Yeah, but, they were running bootlegs, as does/do Denver both directions. And it worked even if it were a busted play. I'm saying it's not just one player. There is a receiver somewhere on that side of the field that is always WIDE OPEN, too. So it's a team thing, man. This defense has the physical talent but are they smart enough? Herm Edwards, at the beginning of the second-half, seemed to want to shead the blame. He said he told them to look out for it. But you know what? When the WHOLE team is being faked out like that, coaching to me is the right up there with being faked out too. I'm a Gunther fan, but he has got to NIP IT!! NIP that IN THE BUD!!! This defense has got to get smarter.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, but, they were running bootlegs, as does/do Denver both directions. And it worked even if it were a busted play. I'm saying it's not just one player. There is a receiver somewhere on that side of the field that is always WIDE OPEN, too. So it's a team thing, man. This defense has the physical talent but are they smart enough? Herm Edwards, at the beginning of the second-half, seemed to want to shead the blame. He said he told them to look out for it. But you know what? When the WHOLE team is being faked out like that, coaching to me is the right up there with being faked out too. I'm a Gunther fan, but he has got to NIP IT!! NIP that IN THE BUD!!! This defense has got to get smarter.

I thought the cover 2 would actually help out with this. Less blitzing usually means players don't overpursue as bad. But the D-line is still having problems... Maybe they feel like they have to compensate.

I'm glad I'm not the coordinator or coach, cause right now I'm out of ideas... I think it was a preseason game where we didn't have one of our starting DEs, one of our backup DEs, and 2 of our backup CBs...

I just dunno...

Moooo

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I thought the cover 2 would actually help out with this. Less blitzing usually means players don't overpursue as bad. But the D-line is still having problems... Maybe they feel like they have to compensate.

I'm glad I'm not the coordinator or coach, cause right now I'm out of ideas... I think it was a preseason game where we didn't have one of our starting DEs, one of our backup DEs, and 2 of our backup CBs...

I just dunno...

Moooo

What I noticed was that the D-line was not looking for the ball as much as for they were for the play. The secret to the bootleg is selling the fake. The offensive line collectively moves to one side. Well, if you as a defense tend to move with it, your screwed. You have to know where the ball is. That means keeping your head up and eyes open. True, the DE must contain, which hasn't been happening. But I contend that the the linebacker and secondary is equally to blame. For if the DE overplays then there should be a linebacker somewhere in the picture. They after all are line backers. And behind them is the secondary. They are biting the play fake as well. People need to stay at home. Trust your assignments and if the assignments don't consider the bootleg then coaching has to be part of the blame.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2006, 10:42 PM
None of the linebackers or secondary were biting on the play fake. When our starters were in, the receivers were being covered.

The left defensive end's job is to contain the quarterback. He didn't. The quarterback ran. We bitched. End of story.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
None of the linebackers or secondary were biting on the play fake. When our starters were in, the receivers were being covered.

The left defensive end's job is to contain the quarterback. He didn't. The quarterback ran. We bitched. End of story.

That's what I was thinking. The fact the QB wasn't throwing it over the secondary's head is a good thing...

But we had problems stopping the run, period. I think a lot of that comes with the lack of depth we had. It'll be better when we get all our players going.

Moooo

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM

Not end of story, sorry. I disagree. The DE's job is to contain the backside of the play. ie. to keep the runner from reversing the field. The bootleg is such a quick fake is it hard to tell a DE to contain that also. Yes, he should at least not overrun the fake and be able to hurry the QB into a decision. That has not been done. A linebacker should be there to keep him from gaining 10 yards (not been done). And a corner or saftey should be there to keep the QB from being able to throw easily on the run (sometime been done).

greg63
08-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Everyone is missing the big picture about the Texans Game. . .

No, I saw GoChiefs game pic thread.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:20 PM
No, I saw GoChiefs game pic thread.

I need the camera those were taken with... Will you work on that for me? ROFL

Also, I need it for free... :)

Moooo

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 11:31 PM
You know the bootleg thing. The moral of this story could be it's a good thing the Chiefs don't go up against Kubiak every game. In case you haven't noticed, Denver beat a lot of teams with it. Talk to the Raiders, the Chargers, and yes, the Patriots. Obviously now, Kubiak was the archtitect or he adopted it and Shanahan was. We'll see. But my point is it isn't any one player who's responsible. You all that think it is, I question. There is no play that any ONE player is responsible for. You guys remind me of the ill-informed audience that only watches the QB and blames him for everything. Oh, well without fans like that who would the media appeal to?

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
You know the bootleg thing. The moral of this story could be it's a good thing the Chiefs don't go up against Kubiak every game. In case you haven't noticed, Denver beat a lot of teams with it. Talk to the Raiders, the Chargers, and yes, the Patriots. Obviously now, Kubiak was the archtitect or he adopted it and Shanahan was. We'll see. But my point is it isn't any one player who's responsible. You all that think it is, I question. There is no play that any ONE player is responsible for. You guys remind me of the ill-informed audience that only watches the QB and blames him for everything. Oh, well without fans like that who would the media appeal to?

Do you think that some types of plays, key positions have more influence on the outcome of the play than others? I think the DE is very important to the success or failure of the bootleg. It's a rough comparison, but kind of like the Safety on a playaction.

Moooo

greg63
08-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I need the camera those were taken with... Will you work on that for me? ROFL

Also, I need it for free... :)

Moooo
No problem; the camera won't cost you a cent - but my finders fee will be $10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.00 :D

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
No problem; the camera won't cost you a cent - but my finders fee will be $10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.00 :D

Do you take Martian money?

sorry... that was lame.

Moooo

luv
08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Do you take Martian money?

sorry... that was lame.

Moooo
Pssst...offer him Monopoly money. I'm sure he'll never know the difference. :)

kcirnamffoh
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Wait a minute ... martian money and monopoly money? They're both green right? No, no, no... ok I've got it ... one's kind of empty, doesn't have much air to it and the other is ... is ... well, its all monopoly money to me. Goes in one girl and out the other.

kcirnamffoh
08-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Do you think that some types of plays, key positions have more influence on the outcome of the play than others? I think the DE is very important to the success or failure of the bootleg. It's a rough comparison, but kind of like the Safety on a playaction.

Moooo

Sure, DE end is very important. But to the "success" or "failure"?

Nah. Too black and white. Can't blame any one player for any one play. Its the team that "succeeds" or "fails". That's where most fans, I believe, lose sight.

TRR
08-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I say it every preseason, and I'll say it again this preseason....I don't care if KC loses every preseason game 100 - 0, as long as nobody gets hurt, I am happy. Coaches let the players play, and make mistakes to evaluate what they need to work on. I think it's great that Houston booted KC to death. Now Herm knows there is a big problem. If he and Gun can't get that fixed for Denver, then KC may have problems at least 2 times this season.