PDA

View Full Version : Jets trade for RB Lee Suggs

ct
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Cleveland gets a CB who probably would have been cut? Didn't see this posted, so...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5608.0.html

Browns acquire CB Derrick Strait
By Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer
August 14, 2006

On Aug. 14, the Browns acquired third-year cornerback Derrick Strait from the New York Jets in exchange for fourth-year running back Lee Suggs, filling a need for both teams.

The trade came four days after starting cornerback Gary Baxter was sidelined by a right shoulder injury during the team's preseason opener in Philadelphia. The setback is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the preseason. Daylon McCutcheon, who was competing with Leigh Bodden for the team's other starting role, is also out for several weeks while he recovers from a knee surgery he had on Aug. 1.

The Jets, meanwhile, are without all-time leading rusher Curtis Martin, who is fighting a knee injury.

Strait (5-feet-11, 189 pounds) was a third-round draft pick (76th overall) by the Jets in 2004. He played in all 16 games last season with two starts, marking 31 tackles and a pair of pass breakups. During his rookie season of 2004, he played in 5 games (he missed 7 due to an ankle injury) and managed 5 tackles. He also has totaled 17 special teams tackles during his career.

When healthy, Suggs (6-0, 213) cwas productive for the Browns. He rushed for 186 yards on 26 carries and 2 scores during a win over Cincinnati on Dec. 28, 2003. But he battled numerous injuries during his tenure with the team. He missed all but the final 7 games of his rookie season recovering from shoulder surgery. He played in 10 games with 3 starts in '04 mounting career highs with 199 carries for 744 yards, but then had an injury-plagued '05 season when he played in 8 games and rushed just 8 times for 15 yards. Suggs had been competing for the starting running back job during '04 camp before a left ankle injury kept him out of practice and allowed the job to be earned by now-starter Reuben Droughns.

Strait and Suggs were both collegiate stars. Strait won the Jim Thorpe Award (nation's best defensive back) and the Nagurski Award (nation's top defensive player) as a senior at Oklahoma and also holds the Sooners' record for career starts with 53.

Suggs was an All-America selection who led Division I-A in scoring as a senior. He rushed for 2,767 yards on 535 carries. Suggs is the Big East's all-time rushing touchdowns leader with 53.

Cormac
08-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Interesting trade. I always liked Suggs, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. I can't believe Strait was that big of a bust. I wanted him to be a Chief that draft day :doh!:

hypersensitiveZO6
08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
No shit.

I would too, if Derrick Blaylock was my starting RB.

Halfcan
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Isn't Suggs a wifebeater?

ct
08-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Suggs failed his physical, trade is void. ROFL

Link (http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_article?short_name=news&article_id=836)

Suggs Fails Physical, Trade Now Void

change font email article
Pursuant to the terms of the August 14, 2006 trade agreement with the Cleveland Browns, the New York Jets retain the rights to DB Derrick Strait. The trade between the Jets and Browns was voided today when running back Lee Suggs failed his physical with the Jets. The Browns retain the rights to Suggs.

StcChief
08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Blaylock stock went up. for now.

ct
08-15-2006, 01:21 PM
The Jets RB situation is a mess!! Even if they put C-Mart on IR where he belongs, who's it gonna be? Houston? Blaylock? Washington? All of the above? None of the Above? Other(Chris Brown, Travis Henry, Tatem Bell)? With Chad Puny-ngton at QB, does it even matter?