PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: On the Clock

keg in kc
08-16-2006, 02:07 AM
On the clock (Posted on Wed, Aug. 16, 2006)

Chiefs defensive tackle Junior Siavii knows time is running out if he’s to make it in the NFL.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis.

As a cool end-of-camp breeze swept through this sleepy college town, Junior Siavii ran. He lined up on the thin white sideline, raced to the old wooden press box with the beer sign, then pointed his feet back to nowhere.

Whistles blew on another field. In some ways, Siavii has always been out there alone, running from his past, swatting at the wind. Good luck at camp, the text message read three weeks ago. Steve Greatwood, his old college position coach at Oregon, didn’t know Junior wasn’t practicing.

Earlier this summer, they talked on the phone for an hour and agreed this was a make-or-break year. If Siavii was ever going to live up to the hype, the second-round pick in the 2004 draft, he’d have to impress in training camp.

Siavii walked off the field again Tuesday, his knee hurting, the clock hands moving. He won’t acknowledge what others at Kansas City’s training camp are thinking — that he might not make the team.

“I think it’s a big year for me,” Siavii said. “This is supposed to be my year. There’s a lot of things slowing me down. I’m just saying it’s not over yet. I’ve still got a shot.”

There is so much Junior Siavii wants to say. That he’s sorry. That he wants a new start. He ran a giant paw through his buzz-cut hair. He shaved it before camp — he’d grown it out for nine years — because it was time for a change.

He ran to the sideline 13 times, then grabbed his pads off the grass. Most of the team was gone.

The Chiefs play their second preseason game on Thursday night at New York, and it’s the second chance for coach Herm Edwards to evaluate those on the cusp of making the roster. Siavii probably won’t be in the lineup.

Once a 6-foot-5, 330-pound super-size Samoan sensation, Siavii is now a cautionary tale with a balky knee, a mystery man who conjures up images of spit hoods and untapped potential. Just when it looked as if Siavii had grown up and paid the price for a night of wilding in Minnesota last year, his knee gave out early in the 2005 season.

Siavii says he still hasn’t fully recovered from that injury, but his survival instincts tell him he needs to be back on the field. They’re the same instincts that helped him rise from a de facto indentured servant to an NFL defensive lineman. It’s the same untrusting exterior that wonders what trouble is lurking around the corner.

“When everything’s going good,” Siavii said, “something bad always happens. The knee, the incident that happened in Minnesota … I’m not using it as an excuse, but I’ve just got to change it all. I’ve got to make better judgments.

“I’m more of a homebody now. I stay at home, go to work, go to the movies. That’s it. I don’t want people to pity me because of my background and where I’m from. But don’t sleep on me. Yeah, I haven’t been playing much. But don’t sleep on me. Don’t take me for granted.”

Greatwood worried about Siavii when he packed up for Kansas City in the summer of 2004. For two years, Siavii had finally found happiness. In Eugene, he was home. He came to America from Pago Pago, American Samoa, brought over by a man who claimed to have connections with the University of Utah football program. Siavii spent his days in a warehouse folding T-shirts, not playing football.

He eventually fled, scrimped to put food in his mouth, and landed at Oregon. Every time it seemed football would lead him to happiness, he wound up in trouble.

“He’s always been kind of a street-smart guy,” Greatwood said. “He’s had to be. As far as the workings of society and how to carry yourself, there was a lot of growing up to do with him. I don’t know if he’s still a finished product. If you’ve talked to him, you know he has a hard time expressing himself.

“But when you break down those walls to the inner core, there is a good person there. He can put on a rough exterior, but deep down, the guy wants to express himself, and he does it very well sometimes.”

Siavii has had a hard time developing any reputation on the football field. He played in 12 games as a rookie, with 12 tackles, one sack and three quarterback pressures. Last year, he managed just 14 tackles and a fumble recovery. Siavii said he played hurt for much of the year, and he finally found relief with an offseason knee scope.

But his progress has been slow, and legal battles dogged him much of the 2005 season. In the early-morning hours of Aug. 14, 2005, a rare night off in camp, Minneapolis police were called to a disturbance at a posh hotel. Siavii assaulted a doorman, and police restrained him by placing a spit hood over his head.

Siavii called the incident “stupidity on my part.” He apologized to Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson. He wished he would’ve done more.

“I’ve wanted to apologize to the organization, especially to Kansas City,” Siavii said. “It’s my fault how it happened, and I’m sorry. I never got a chance to apologize. Nobody ever asked me about it. I hope they forgive me.”

The Chiefs traded down and got an extra second-round draft pick in 2004, and Siavii was the first one called. He was considered a raw prospect, an ascending force who had 30 solo tackles and two sacks his senior year.

Peterson said he knew there were risks in drafting Siavii. “Every year you draft somebody, it’s a risk,” he said.

“He just hasn’t been able to put it together. You feel bad for a guy like that, but you’ve got to make decisions and move on. We haven’t made any decisions yet, but they’re coming.”

That’s why Siavii is running. He vows to be practicing full speed next week. He won’t allow himself to believe that it’s over.

“If I didn’t think I could perform, I wouldn’t be out there right now,” Siavii said. “I’d be sitting inside or something. To me, it’s a lot of mental problems going on right now because I’m hurt. I just have to overcome it.

“I don’t know … I want to say so much, but I can’t. I want to come out here and perform, that’s it. I just want to play.”

pr_capone
08-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Oh noes!

He had a tough life?

His knee is hurt?

RUB SOME DIRT IN IT AND MOVE THE **** ON.

He has been a drag economically as well as a drag on the team itself.

He has been paid but services have not been rendered.

CUT HIS ASS.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Bye.

Skyy God
08-16-2006, 02:34 AM
The Chiefs traded down and got an extra second-round draft pick in 2004, and Siavii was the first one called.

Good to see Liz really researched this piece.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2006, 02:36 AM
buh-bye

el borracho
08-16-2006, 03:32 AM
Looks like he finally 'gets it' but his body isn't going to cooperate. What a drag for him and for us. I wonder if any other team will try to get something out of him?

And on the topic of second round DT busts, what's going on with Freeman? I thought we had signed him again but he is never mentioned anywhere. Is he still around or has he been cut already?

morphius
08-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Looks like he finally 'gets it' but his body isn't going to cooperate. What a drag for him and for us. I wonder if any other team will try to get something out of him?

And on the topic of second round DT busts, what's going on with Freeman? I thought we had signed him again but he is never mentioned anywhere. Is he still around or has he been cut already?
Of course if you read anything from Sims you would think he finally got it as well, and look at his play...

It is hard to come back from a case of the lazy when it has been plaguing him his entire NFL career.

RealSNR
08-16-2006, 08:15 AM
I think it’s a big year for me. This is supposed to be my year. There’s a lot of things slowing me down. I’m just saying it’s not over yet. I’ve still got a shot.Newsflash, Junior! Good things just don't automatically happen because you expect them to happen!

Siavii is totally right on the rest of the article, though. His ass IS gone unless something miraculous happens, and that's what I don't think he realizes.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Egg timer on him went off two years ago, but nobody noticed.

Rain Man
08-16-2006, 08:32 AM
(Sigh.)

Actually, I'm surprised to read his stats in terms of tackles and pressures. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I would've never guessed that he was getting 12 to 14 tackles per year with the very limited playing time he's had. Didn't Dalton only get about 15 to 20 last year playing full time?

milkman
08-16-2006, 08:35 AM

Freeman was cut before over a month ago.

cookster50
08-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Spitavii is gone, if he gets another chance, it will be for the minimum.

Fat Elvis
08-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Cya C-avii...

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Terdell Sands was on the Raiders sideline the other night, I suspect we'll see Siavii land with another club before his career is over.

tyton75
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Who did we take with our other 2nd round pick that we got for moving down and taking Siavii??

having a Brainfart

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Who did we take with our other 2nd round pick that we got for moving down and taking Siavii??

having a BrainfartThe SECRET WEAPON... Kris Wilson.

tyton75
08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
oh yeah... stellar draft there! lol

Rain Man
08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Okay, beat me for this if you must, but could he be put on the practice squad for a year? Or injured reserve? Maybe if he can get up to 100 percent healthy, there could still be something there.

JohnnyV13
08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
we could put him on the PUP list

JohnnyV13
08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
oh yeah... stellar draft there! lol

Getting Jared Allen in the 4th round sorta made up for it

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 03:05 PM
We should steal his alarm clock and when he wakes up-the team will be gone-that should send him the message.

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Freeman has spent the last two years with the Jags and is now on the roster in New England (per nfl.com).

milkman
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Freeman has spent the last two years with the Jags and is now on the roster in New England (per nfl.com).

He was signed by the Chiefs as a FA after last season, but released in late May/June, or therabouts.

chief2000
08-16-2006, 03:36 PM
The other Dtackle we considered was the Hawaiian guy now playing backup for the 49ers. He was a 4th rounder.

Crashride
08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Only the strong survive sooooo... :hmmm: ...bye Siavii

tk13
08-16-2006, 05:33 PM

having a Brainfart
That Kris Wilson pick was just our regular 2nd round pick that year. The extra pick we actually got in the Siavii trade turned into Samie Parker.

FloridaMan88
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
And Carl Peterson's propaganda machine has already cranked up the spin, setting in motion Junior Siavii's inevitable release. The strategy obviously is to just blame everything on Vermeil!

Never mind the fact no Chiefs employee so much as FARTS without Carl's authorization, Peterson is now going to have us believe he was just along for the ride as Vermeil made all of these horrible draft picks.

Unreal

milkman
08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
And Carl Peterson's propaganda machine has already cranked up the spin, setting in motion Junior Siavii's inevitable release. The strategy obviously is to just blame everything on Vermeil!

Never mind the fact no Chiefs employee so much as FARTS without Carl's authorization, Peterson is now going to have us believe he was just along for the ride as Vermeil made all of these horrible draft picks.

Unreal

Thank God we have you here to set us straight on Carl.

How would we know the truth without KCWhinefest88?

whoman69
08-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Another in a long line of failed DTs drafted in this decade. You'd think one of them would work out. I don't know what priority it is they put on that postion. Whatever it is they need to change it.

TRR
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't believe Carl Peterson and the Chiefs ever really wanted Junior Siavii. They panicked when Igor Olshansky was picked just ahead of their pick, and tried picking the next best DT left on the board without doing a whole lot of homework.

Honestly, they only really knew about Siavii because of Olshansky. I've been told they picked up on him when they were watching film of Olshansky, etc.

Kylo Ren
08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
He'll be put on IR and that's fine with me. He can recover from his knee problem and have a fresh start next year. I'm not so quick to cut him as most of you are. If he's injured, then I'd give him another chance.

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I think the lesson our front office should learn from the whole Siavii and Freeman fiasco is to stop ****ing drafting project players in the first couple of rounds in the draft. If you want to take a chance in the later rounds fine, but IMO part of why are defense has been so horrible for so long is our inability to bring in enough productive players for the DL.

Spicy McHaggis
08-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Honestly, they only really knew about Siavii because of Olshansky. I've been told they picked up on him when they were watching film of Olshansky, etc.

And we picked the wrong guy.

Olshanksy is still raw but at least we'd be getting production from our selection. He's also still young and has the physical skill set to keep getting better. Junior's already about 27/28 years old with a medical history of knee problems and no drive to improve.

Bah. The way the first day of that draft went my TV is lucky it didn't have some large and blunt throw at it.

Long and short of it, Olshansky is going probably to be starting in the 3-4 of San Diego for a long while and our pick is one swift kick away from being out on his ass.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 06:38 AM
And we picked the wrong guy.

Olshanksy is still raw but at least we'd be getting production from our selection. He's also still young and has the physical skill set to keep getting better. Junior's already about 27/28 years old with a medical history of knee problems and no drive to improve.

Bah. The way the first day of that draft went my TV is lucky it didn't have some large and blunt throw at it.

Long and short of it, Olshansky is going probably to be starting in the 3-4 of San Diego for a long while and our pick is one swift kick away from being out on his ass.We didn't have a choice. Olshansky went before we picked. The only way to get him would have been to use a 1st round pick on him.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 06:39 AM

Unreal Merrill works for the Star you dumb bitch. She's a not one of Carl's employees.

Chieftain58
08-17-2006, 06:46 AM
What a waste

htismaqe
08-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Merrill works for the Star you dumb bitch. She's a not one of Carl's employees.

The entire KC Star is on Carl's payroll, especially Jason Whitlock. Isn't it obvious?

Spicy McHaggis
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
We didn't have a choice. Olshansky went before we picked. The only way to get him would have been to use a 1st round pick on him.

A pick that was only 6 spots ahead of where we traded down to. I much rather would have spent the 30th pick overall on Olshansky than waste the 36th on Junior.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
A pick that was only 6 spots ahead of where we traded down to. I much rather would have spent the 30th pick overall on Olshansky than waste the 36th on Junior.Using hindsight, I certainly agree.

But I'm not sure they targeted Siavii when they moved down. Maybe they didn't target the DT position at all, who knows? Obviously they thought they could get better value from trading down. If they thought they would get a specific player, that's a risky way to do it.

Spicy McHaggis
08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
If they thought they would get a specific player, that's a risky way to do it.

I wouldn't be suprised if they wanted Olshansky when they traded down missed out on him and said "**** it. What about his teammate? You know, the big fat lazy one with the arthritic knees?"

And here it is. My first actual Dammit Carl :cuss: