PDA

View Full Version : Why anything misdirection kills us (besides Eric Hicks)

Rick
08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Whenever I hear Gunther talk it is always about ripping heads off, flying to the ball, being more aggressive, kill, kill, kill, etc. It is not only Hicks screwing it up, even though he has been burnt about 99 out of the last 100 times they've done it his way. Right now Derrick Johnson gets burnt on it most times too ( I know he's a stud but this is one weakness of his). When they both get burnt on the same side and the safeties are so damn far back it is going to be a big gainer.

I want to hear more about scheme and each man taking care of his responsibilities.

Other thoughts: Printers, Hicks, McKenzie should be done now! If Bober is our #1 backup at guard we are in trouble. Green is going to take more shots this year which ups his chances of getting hurt- we should have gotten a better veteran backup. I still don't like Wesley as a starting safety. I would love to have Priest Holmes back- he is truly still a stud if healthy- we can't forget just how damn good he is.

blueballs
08-17-2006, 10:51 PM
is Bober the back up center
I thought I saw him at center

Mecca
08-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Yea I'm pretty sure Bober is the backup Center.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
There is no "besides Hicks" to it.

The first thing that needs to happen on a boot or misdirection is that the backside DE has to stay home and not over-commit to the fake. The minute that DE over-commits and takes himself out of the play, the remaining guys are forced out of their role.

If the DE isn't there to pursue the QB and keep him from scrambling, the LB,S, or CB has to come up to the QB. The minute he does that, he leaves the man/zone he's covering. It forces the guys in the secondary to choose between covering their man, or stopping the QB for running for 10 yards.

Mecca
08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Like I said before....Eric Hicks is not only untalented he's dumb as hell too, an awesome combination.

ChiefFan31
08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Whenever I hear Gunther talk it is always about ripping heads off, flying to the ball, being more aggressive, kill, kill, kill, etc. It is not only Hicks screwing it up, even though he has been burnt about 99 out of the last 100 times they've done it his way. Right now Derrick Johnson gets burnt on it most times too ( I know he's a stud but this is one weakness of his). When they both get burnt on the same side and the safeties are so damn far back it is going to be a big gainer.

I want to hear more about scheme and each man taking care of his responsibilities.

Other thoughts: Printers, Hicks, McKenzie should be done now! If Bober is our #1 backup at guard we are in trouble. Green is going to take more shots this year which ups his chances of getting hurt- we should have gotten a better veteran backup. I still don't like Wesley as a starting safety. I would love to have Priest Holmes back- he is truly still a stud if healthy- we can't forget just how damn good he is.

I do not think it will be a problem to sneak Printers onto the PS at this point, haha

As soon as I watched the first play. I was like why not run a reverse to the side Eric Hicks is on. They also ran a lot of successful draw plays against our first stringers tonight.

But that is interesting the point you are making about Gunther. My Dad was telling me that he talked to his longtime friend tonight (who is an old coach) He said it seemed to him that Gunther is just not very smart. One example up in TC, Gun is screaming attack, attack, attack. And Herm had to correct him saying, No you need guys to maintain responsibility/discipline. Gee, Ya think?!

htismaqe
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
I think Rick here is saying he prefers the Read and React defense.

:D

MOhillbilly
08-18-2006, 07:06 AM
two things-Hicks in not a football player -Cunningham is not a teacher.

again. how long before herm takes over the D play calling?

Rick
08-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I think Rick here is saying he prefers the Read and React defense.

:DAre defensive ends suppose to take themselves out of the play in an attack defense? If so, then yes I do. I believe we looked the same in Robinson's (read and react) defense.

milkman
08-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Are defensive ends suppose to take themselves out of the play in an attack defense? If so, then yes I do. I believe we looked the same in Robinson's (read and react) defense.

Regardless of scheme, whether it's Read and React or an aggressive attacking style, each player still has to maintain discipline within the scheme.

Eric Hicks always fails to maintain his responsibility, and teams take full advantage of that fact.

suds79
08-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Regardless of scheme, whether it's Read and React or an aggressive attacking style, each player still has to maintain discipline within the scheme.

Eric Hicks always fails to maintain his responsibility, and teams take full advantage of that fact.

Yeah but he's got a point. True Eric Hicks does that. But so does everybody else.

And that's because Gun is pounding them on the head over & over with "fly to the ball", "Explode off the line".

How about "be assignment sound". Is it too much to ask from Gun to put together a scheme where people are responsible for their section of the field? I guess so. No we've got to have all 11 players running towards the ball at 100 mph to make the tackle.

And thus misdirection will continue to kill us.

milkman
08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah but he's got a point. True Eric Hicks does that. But so does everybody else.

And that's because Gun is pounding them on the head over & over with "fly to the ball", "Explode off the line".

How about "be assignment sound". Is it too much to ask from Gun to put together a scheme where people are responsible for their section of the field? I guess so. No we've got to have all 11 players running towards the ball at 100 mph to make the tackle.

And thus misdirection will continue to kill us.

I know.

Trust me, you're preaching to the Choir.

I have been consistent in my criticism of Gunt.

Gunt is a moron.

I can't say that often enough.

chief2000
08-19-2006, 11:17 AM

Isn't that what everyone here wanted ??????

Attack , Attack !

Other guys know !!!!!

milkman
08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Isn't that what everyone here wanted ??????

Attack , Attack !

Other guys know !!!!!

Is that you, Gunt?

Yes, we all wanted an Attcking defense.

But most of us understand that even in an attacking defense, each player still has to maintain his responsibilties within the scheme.

Apparently the only ones that don't understand that are Hicks and Gunt.

Oh, and you.

TinyEvel
08-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I think you guys are right. The "attack attack" scheme might be why it seems like all our backs are five feet from whoever catches the ball. Soft coverage, still.

That's what I saw Thursday. Tons of catches for 6 - 12 yards. The back floors the receiver (AFTER he catches the ball) and gets up clapping like he got a friggin' sack.

Deja vu.

Looking at our offense, the second drive was looking like it was going somewhere until the back-to back penalties. instead of being third and 1, it was 3rd and 16. There went whatever momentum we were building.

cyborgtable
08-19-2006, 01:54 PM
two things-Hicks in not a football player -Cunningham is not a teacher.

again. how long before herm takes over the D play calling?

Herm has never called plays in his life, and, hopefully this has changed, his obsession with the "tampa 2" defense combined with the inability to generate pressure, something I have heard a couple times on this board, spells disaster for KC's defense

Chiefs Pantalones
08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm not jumping to any conclusions here in the preseason. IIRC, we looked great in the preseason of 04, even on defense, only to start out at like 0-3.

And to say it's Gunther or Herm, IMO, is absurd. In the NFL, players win games. If you have the talent, you're going to make plays. We will find out in the REGULAR SEASON if we have the talent this year to get where we want to go, IMO.

Every coach is only as good as his players.