PDA

View Full Version : Do Javon Walker and Tony Scheffler worry you?

Oz_Chief
08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I see Javon Walker as a one-year contributor coming off an injury. Is he really as great as everyone makes him out to be?

Tony Scheffler is a rookie pass-catching tight-end. How much will he contribute?

Are there other significant offensive (no pun intended) additions I am missing?

Do these additions, along with the RBBC, make you think the Broncos are as high quality as the media would like you to believe?

I have my doubts.

RealSNR
08-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Against this defense, they could draft Marcus Vick, put him in at QB, and still have some success

Oz_Chief
08-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Against this defense, they could draft Marcus Vick, put him in at QB, and still have some success

I expected an answer like that.

I guess my questions are these:

Does the acquisition of these players mean that the coaching staff believes Plummer's tendency for aerial mistakes is due to his receivers?

If so, will Plummer be allowed more freedom to throw this season relative to last?

Or, are these new players simply meant to make defenders commit more to the pass so that less attention is dedicated to the RBs?

HMc
08-19-2006, 10:47 AM

and have him handoff to mo clarrett

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I see Javon Walker as a one-year contributor coming off an injury. Is he really as great as everyone makes him out to be?

Tony Scheffler is a rookie pass-catching tight-end. How much will he contribute?

Do these additions, along with the RBBC, make you think the Broncos are as high quality as the media would like you to believe?

I have my doubts.

Javon seems good to go so far. Every single person we had at training camp all said he was playing without any issues. Why do you see him as only a one-year contributor though?

Scheffler is coming along nicely and everyone is impressed with his pass catching ability. He needs some work as a blocker, but he's better than Putzier was. I don't know how much he'll contribute this year, but I do know his was the 2nd most physically gifted TE in the draft behind Vernon Davis.

Adam Meadows has got mixed reviews so far, but if he improves he'll be an upgrade in OL depth.

I doubt we'll see a RBBC this season. I'm thinking that Tatum has improved enough to finally get the starting job. Mike Bell looks pretty good in camp, but he hasn't proven anything on the field yet.

jspchief
08-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Javon Walker yes, an unproven rookie TE? Not really.Does the acquisition of these players mean that the coaching staff believes Plummer's tendency for aerial mistakes is due to his receivers?

If so, will Plummer be allowed more freedom to throw this season relative to last?

Or, are these new players simply meant to make defenders commit more to the pass so that less attention is dedicated to the RBs? I don't think it's about blaming Plummer's problem on receivers. The fact is, their passing game is pretty anemic, they've been searching for a TE that could catch balls since Sharpe retired, and they are old at WR.

It's simply filling a need. I'm sure shanahan would like to have a more balanced offense, considering how bad the Broncos look when they can't run.

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Javon Walker yes, an unproven rookie TE? Not really. I don't think it's about blaming Plummer's problem on receivers. The fact is, their passing game is pretty anemic, they've been searching for a TE that could catch balls since Sharpe retired, and they are old at WR.

It's simply filling a need. I'm sure shanahan would like to have a more balanced offense, considering how bad the Broncos look when they can't run.

Putzier wasn't bad as a pass catching TE, but Scheffler is an upgrade for sure. Our passing game's downfall has been a lack of depth at WR and a #2 receiver who didn't fit well in our offense. This year we actually have some quality depth at WR, so it's looking up.

Dark Horse
08-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't run down the Bronco's new offensive additions until we learn to stop the old ones.

Adept Havelock
08-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Against this defense, they could draft Marcus Vick, put him in at LT, and still have some success

FYP.

jidar
08-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Not worried about the rookie but I really wish Walker hadn't gone to denver.

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Not worried about the rookie but I really wish Walker hadn't gone to denver.

I don't know, he's not far behind Vernon Davis as far as atheltisicm goes and has great hands. Had he gone to a bigger name school, I doubt he would have lasted past pick #20 or so.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Does the acquisition of these players mean that the coaching staff believes Plummer's tendency for aerial mistakes is due to his receivers?

Or, are these new players simply meant to make defenders commit more to the pass so that less attention is dedicated to the RBs?
waaaaaaaaaay too much concern about the particulars of Donk-land

either we suck or we don't ........ it's about us, not them.

gcbroncos
08-19-2006, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't run down the Bronco's new offensive additions until we learn to stop the old ones.

lol...that was a good one...

banyon
08-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Tony Shleffler will kill us all! Run for your lives!

Oz_Chief
08-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Javon seems good to go so far. Every single person we had at training camp all said he was playing without any issues. Why do you see him as only a one-year contributor though?

Sorry, that came across incorrectly.

What I meant to say was: Walker has really only played three seasons. Only one of them is what you would call great (2004). Why is he getting so much attention and being looked upon as such a great addition?

This is bias speaking here, but I get the feeling that if the Chiefs signed Walker everyone would be doubting his ability to recover from an injury and saying things like "Well, he's only had one good year.".

Oz_Chief
08-19-2006, 01:42 PM
waaaaaaaaaay too much concern about the particulars of Donk-land

either we suck or we don't ........ it's about us, not them.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I simply prefer not to rely on mass media. I think fans of AFC West teams are able to give better insight than someone required to cover the entire league.

Oz_Chief
08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Javon Walker yes, an unproven rookie TE? Not really. I don't think it's about blaming Plummer's problem on receivers. The fact is, their passing game is pretty anemic, they've been searching for a TE that could catch balls since Sharpe retired, and they are old at WR.

Makes sense. I have been thinking that with Plummer's characteristics, why not add to the running game before the passing game? I am just not convinced their backfield has been improved by releasing Mike Anderson and taking on Mike Bell. Did they have a significant OL or FB addition?

I guess this would be considered the Chiefs philosophy: improve the effectiveness if your WRs by having a great backfield.

Garcia Bronco
08-19-2006, 03:08 PM

We need receiver help. Lelie is a one trick pony with a QB that can't get him the ball. The irony is Cutler will eventually be the starter and have the ability to get him the ball. Plummer "freedom" will all depend on how he performs, but I wouldn't expect it to be different. We got the recievers because we needed the receivers...pure and simple;.

rad
08-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Tony Shleffler will kill us all! Run for your lives!
ROFL

jspchief
08-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Makes sense. I have been thinking that with Plummer's characteristics, why not add to the running game before the passing game? I am just not convinced their backfield has been improved by releasing Mike Anderson and taking on Mike Bell. Did they have a significant OL or FB addition?

I guess this would be considered the Chiefs philosophy: improve the effectiveness if your WRs by having a great backfield.Shanahan has bought into his own hype. He believes the "anyone can gain 1k yards in Denver" BS. One of these days it's going to catch up to him, possibly this year.

Besides, they aren't building a team for Plummer. They're building a team for Plummer's replacement.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Scheffler is good for about 500 yards...Walker...800 or so...

Dark Horse
08-19-2006, 05:08 PM
lol...that was a good one...

I may be a Chiefs homer but at least I'm a realistic one

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Shanahan has bought into his own hype. He believes the "anyone can gain 1k yards in Denver" BS. One of these days it's going to catch up to him, possibly this year.

Besides, they aren't building a team for Plummer. They're building a team for Plummer's replacement.

Why shouldn't he buy into the hype? He consistently turns out productive running backs. Until he fails (and 1 "down" season does not consititute failure) then he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Miles
08-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't know, he's not far behind Vernon Davis as far as atheltisicm goes and has great hands. Had he gone to a bigger name school, I doubt he would have lasted past pick #20 or so.

I don't know why but for some reason I'm not buying this.

Miles
08-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorry, that came across incorrectly.

What I meant to say was: Walker has really only played three seasons. Only one of them is what you would call great (2004). Why is he getting so much attention and being looked upon as such a great addition?

This is bias speaking here, but I get the feeling that if the Chiefs signed Walker everyone would be doubting his ability to recover from an injury and saying things like "Well, he's only had one good year.".

The hype is comming from people that have watched him play. He is big explosive reciever when healty.

jspchief
08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Why shouldn't he buy into the hype? He consistently turns out productive running backs. Until he fails (and 1 "down" season does not consititute failure) then he gets the benefit of the doubt.I don't blame him for buying into it.

But the fact remains that while you may be statistically at the top of the league with your running game, you don't have a RB that can put the game on his shoulders. For the all yards you rack up throughout the season, there's probably not a coach in the league that would want Tatum Bell or Ron Dayne carrying the ball come crunch time.

It's a great system, but without a great player in it, it's going to fail you when you need it most.

Just my opinion.

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know why but for some reason I'm not buying this.

According to all the scouting reports, only VD outperformed him in most of the physical areas.

Who else do you think has more ability than Scheffler or Davis? You may very well be right about it, so just curious to hear your take.

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't blame him for buying into it.

But the fact remains that while you may be statistically at the top of the league with your running game, you don't have a RB that can put the game on his shoulders. For the all yards you rack up throughout the season, there's probably not a coach in the league that would want Tatum Bell or Ron Dayne carrying the ball come crunch time.

It's a great system, but without a great player in it, it's going to fail you when you need it most.

Just my opinion.

That's a good take, and you could easily be right about that. Tatum made a few big plays for us when it mattered last year (Washington game comes to mind) so I'm not ready to discredit him yet.

Miles
08-19-2006, 07:14 PM
According to all the scouting reports, only VD outperformed him in most of the physical areas.

Who else do you think has more ability than Scheffler or Davis? You may very well be right about it, so just curious to hear your take.

Scheffler may be pretty athletic but should not be compaird with Davis.

Davis is an athletic freak and put up some pretty crazy combine numbers for a guy his size. He was faster than many of the DBs and WRs with a 4.38 40. Same time as Sinorice Moss.

dtebbe
08-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Yep, almost as much as digleberrys.

DT

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Scheffler may be pretty athletic but should not be compaird with Davis.

Davis is an athletic freak and put up some pretty crazy combine numbers for a guy his size. He was faster than many of the DBs and WRs with a 4.38 40. Same time as Sinorice Moss.

The only comparison I made was that Scheffler was the 2nd most gifted TE and not that far behind Davis. How far behind Davis he was is arguable, but I don't think there was anyone ahead of Scheffler besides Davis.

Miles
08-19-2006, 11:20 PM
The only comparison I made was that Scheffler was the 2nd most gifted TE and not that far behind Davis. How far behind Davis he was is arguable, but I don't think there was anyone ahead of Scheffler besides Davis.

Fair enough. You didn't exactly make it very clear that you were talking about the second most athletic TE in the past draft but I follow you now.

While it was when the backups were in, Scheffler did look pretty good tonight.

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Fair enough. You didn't exactly make it very clear that you were talking about the second most athletic TE in the past draft but I follow you now.

While it was when the backups were in, Scheffler did look pretty good tonight.

Yeah my bad, I should have worded my post better.

How is Kris Wilson looking so far? I caught a little bit of your last game and he looked like he was playing pretty well. I liked him coming out of college.

rad
08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah my bad, I should have worded my post better.

How is Kris Wilson looking so far? I caught a little bit of your last game and he looked like he was playing pretty well. I liked him coming out of college.

SHHHHHH! You're not supposed to know about him.

Miles
08-19-2006, 11:41 PM

Showing a little signs of life but still looking like a seriously wasted second rounder.

Florida_Bronco
08-20-2006, 12:08 AM
SHHHHHH! You're not supposed to know about him.

Ooooooh secret weapon? Gotcha. :)

Miles - Is this his 2nd or 3rd year?

Miles
08-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Ooooooh secret weapon? Gotcha. :)

Miles - Is this his 2nd or 3rd year?

Third year but he was injured his entire rookie season.

alanm
08-20-2006, 12:31 AM

I have my doubts.
Until I'm shown otherwise, My concerns lie with the Chiefs at the moment. I'm not at all concerned with the Bronco's problems or lack thereof. :shake:

alanm
08-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I simply prefer not to rely on mass media. I think fans of AFC West teams are able to give better insight than someone required to cover the entire league.
You have much to learn young Skywalker. :D

Garcia Bronco
08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Oz...those mass media guys spend all their time at training camp in a tent eating catered food. It's a joke. They hardly even look at the practices.

Florida_Bronco
08-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Oz...those mass media guys spend all their time at training camp in a tent eating catered food. It's a joke. They hardly even look at the practices.

Yep, Burger Bill is a great example of this.

Oz_Chief
08-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Until I'm shown otherwise, My concerns lie with the Chiefs at the moment.

I completely agree.

There is no question that the Broncos will compete for the Division title. I see them as the team to beat so, naturally, that makes me curious about what they are up to.

Oz_Chief
08-20-2006, 09:27 AM

What kind of training/degree is required for that job?

I have determined that wearing a godawful suit is compulsory for being a football analyst on ESPN, but I am eager to learn more.