PDA

View Full Version : Selling my trees???

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I have some black walnut and cottonwood trees in my yard I want to get rid of. My dad told me I can expect to get a decent price out of the walnut trees. Anyone know how to go about locating someone who buys trees?

JBucc
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
treebay

BamMorris
08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
His phone # is 501-259-2468

jspchief
08-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Walnut trees don't really bring in money like they did in the old days. That's kind of a thing of the past.

If it's a very large tree, with a lot of large straight trunks, you might be able to find someone to pay for it, or at least cut it down for free.

Look for a local sawmill. I'm sure there's a few small operations in every corner of IA, it's just a matter of finding them. If he's not willing to cut it down, he'll probably know someone who does.

noa
08-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Are you trying to sell me drugs?

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-19-2006, 04:38 PM
His phone # is 501-259-2468501 is an Arkansas Area Code.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Are you trying to sell me drugs?
No but I guess I am a Wood Pimp.

Hoover
08-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I have some land that has about 150 walnut trees on it. Its land from my grandpa, he planted them all when I was born. Its pretty good, they are all straight as an arrow, but they are only about 10 in dia. Maybe my great great grand kinds can cash in on them.

redbrian
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Unless you have over 20 trees or more, they are not worth the loggers time to get them, been down that road.

rad
08-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Walnut trees don't really bring in money like they did in the old days. That's kind of a thing of the past.

If it's a very large tree, with a lot of large straight trunks, you might be able to find someone to pay for it, or at least cut it down for free.

Look for a local sawmill. I'm sure there's a few small operations in every corner of IA, it's just a matter of finding them. If he's not willing to cut it down, he'll probably know someone who does.

Trees only have 1 trunk, I think you're referring to branches.

But Hey, let's not get hung up on particulars, eh? Just trying to helpabrotha'out.

jspchief
08-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Trees only have 1 trunk, I think you're referring to branches.

But Hey, let's not get hung up on particulars, eh? Just trying to helpabrotha'out.Well, technically yea. But most walnuts have one large fork from the trunk that will produce two more trunk sized "branches". A regular branch isn't going to produce enough wood for a sawmill to consider it worth money.

Point being, a single tree doesn't really contain that much wood. Unless his walnut has a large diameter, with some very big straight branches off the fork, the tree isn't going to be worth much.

rad
08-19-2006, 05:46 PM
My neighbor has 2 of them and they dont have that. Maybe it's a different kind of walnut tree or something. ****ing things drop all in my yard and I hit 'em with my mower :cuss:

HemiEd
08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Cottonwood trees are the debil.

Iowanian
08-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Cottonwood's will get you basically nothing. Its softwood thats available everywhere. Walnut trees, if they're big, strait and not hollow will still bring you some coin, but not as much as oak.

Silver maple is the current big ticket item of choice.

I do stuff for alot of log cutters. If you're talking enough trees, I can direct you to a guy or two....if you're talking about 5-10 trees....cut them yourself and forget about it. There has to be at least 1 strait log, longer than 8' or they won't screw with it.

I might know a guy in your area that would take a handful of walnut trees. Given your area, I'd suggest the Amish. Some of them have sawmills.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Cottonwood's will get you basically nothing. Its softwood thats available everywhere. Walnut trees, if they're big, strait and not hollow will still bring you some coin, but not as much as oak.

Silver maple is the current big ticket item of choice.

I do stuff for alot of log cutters. If you're talking enough trees, I can direct you to a guy or two....if you're talking about 5-10 trees....cut them yourself and forget about it. There has to be at least 1 strait log, longer than 8' or they won't screw with it.

I might know a guy in your area that would take a handful of walnut trees. Given your area, I'd suggest the Amish. Some of them have sawmills.Yeah I had thought about the Amish. I have 3 walnuts that are pretty good sized and straight and 4 worthless damn cottonwood trees. I'll have to go see Ab next week.

Iowanian
08-19-2006, 09:06 PM
With that number of trees, the Amish are you answer. I think one of them down there has a pallet factory...they make those out of cottonwood.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-20-2006, 07:09 AM
With that number of trees, the Amish are you answer. I think one of them down there has a pallet factory...they make those out of cottonwood.Do you know where this pallet factory is by chance?