PDA

View Full Version : Club Herm

Sperm Edwards
08-21-2006, 05:53 AM
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Previous columns
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. | We shouldn’t be surprised that three weeks into Camp Herm, the Chiefs still look soft.

It’s pretty difficult to instill toughness into a defense Dick Vermeil ignored for five years when training camp is a giant pillow fight with practices shorter than most yoga classes.

The players love Camp Herm, but it’s very debatable whether coach Herm Edwards’ abbreviated, light-contact practices are what this team needed this year. Based on the last few years, Kansas City’s defenders needed to be enrolled in remedial tackling courses.
Marty Schottenheimer’s barbaric Oklahoma Drills seemed appropriate.

Evidence of the Chiefs’ overall softness was in full display at Giants Stadium Thursday night in a 17-0 preseason loss. Kansas City’s defense looks just as soft as it did a year ago when Tiki Barber ran wild on the Chiefs in a regular-season game.

While some Chiefs defenders downplayed the significance of Thursday’s wretched performance, at least two Chiefs starters recognized it for what it was.

“It’s embarrassing,” defensive end Jared Allen said. “I think that’s the best way to describe it. I take it as a reality check.”

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell added, “Just a lot of talk and not enough performing.”

Maybe this will make Edwards rethink his soft approach with his soft team. Especially after watching the Giants’ first-teamers trample Kansas City’s starters in the first half.
The opening 30 minutes were tough to watch. New York’s defenders battered Chiefs quarterback Trent Green, pushing him to the safety of the bench after two unproductive series. Running back Larry Johnson failed to get on track, picking up just 8 yards on four carries. Offensive tackles Kevin Sampson and Kyle Turley struggled trying to keep Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora out of the backfield.

And, of course, the Giants offense did whatever it wanted to Kansas City’s defense. Eli Manning, facing absolutely zero pressure, completed 11 of 14 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Tiki Barber and Brandon Jacobs combined for 62 yards and one touchdown on 14 carries.

The Chiefs’ defensive front four was non-existent. If there’s a difference between defensive tackle combos Ron Edwards and James Reed, and Ryan Sims and Lional Dalton, you couldn’t recognize it Thursday night. All four stand at the line of scrimmage and chicken fight quite well.

Ends Jared Allen and Eric Hicks were equally ineffective.

Manning had plenty of time to throw, and he repeatedly threw underneath Kansas City’s soft coverage. High-priced corners Ty Law and Patrick Surtain won’t reroute many receivers when they line up 5 to 7 yards off the football.

You don’t want to make too much of preseason football. But it’s very fair to say this team is soft right now, and we shouldn’t be surprised.

Kansas City’s three toughest players from a year ago weren’t in uniform Thursday night and haven’t been a part of training camp. Willie Roaf retired. Brian Waters hurt his foot on the first day of camp. And Carl Peterson let Tony Richardson slip to Minnesota for a short end and an order of fries.

Roaf, Waters and Richardson never played defense, but that trio would make any team significantly tougher. Their personalities add toughness and confidence, two things in short supply with the Chiefs right now.

The Chiefs lack an identity. They’re transitioning from Vermeil’s high-flying, all-offense identity to Herm’s conservative, defensive approach.
The transition isn’t going smoothly. In fact, I’d say the Chiefs are having an identity crisis. Edwards can’t impose his identity on this team with an easy-on-the-body training camp.
He’s in a difficult spot. He isn’t taking over a team in a rebuilding mode. First-year coaches are supposed to crack heads and run guys off just to make a point, just to impose their will. A first-year coach in a rebuilding situation gets to shape a team in his own image.

Not Herm. He has to win now with someone else’s players, and he has to pamper veteran players who were overworked by Vermeil.
Good luck with that. It’s a recipe for chaos. The Chiefs let their strongest locker-room presence walk (Richardson). Their most physical player is nursing an injury (Waters). And their most important player (Roaf) decided he’d rather eat his mama’s gumbo this fall.

Meanwhile, Ryan Sims would much rather swap gumbo recipes with Roaf’s mama than go to war with offensive linemen, and KC’s defensive front remains a major weakness. In the first quarter, the Chiefs blitzed repeatedly and still couldn’t get pressure on Manning.

It’s too early to panic and write this team off. It’s the preseason, and KC’s game plans have been awfully vanilla. But the more I watch the Chiefs the more I understand why Edwards and Peterson won’t give up on the dream of Roaf returning.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/15300666.htm

It looks like Jets fans aren't the only ones noticing the outcome of CLUB HERM

Fire Me Boy!
08-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Was there something wrong with this thread that was posted three days ago?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145837

Phobia
08-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Was there something wrong with this thread that was posted three days ago?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145837

Yes. It wasn't posted by "Sperm" Edwards himself and since "Sperm" posted the thread it's very funny now.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2006, 06:36 AM
FTR, this Sperm freak is NOT me.

jspchief
08-21-2006, 06:47 AM
FTR, this Sperm freak is NOT me.No, it's one of the idiots from Jetsinsider.

That's OK. They're going to hear about every win Herm has with the Chiefs, while they go through another 4-12 season.

Since Jets fans think that we care about their opinion onm Herm, I'm assuming they're going to want to hear a Herm update from the Chiefs fans every week.

greg63
08-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Is this article of any consequential interest? I tend to ignore Fatlock.

Sperm Edwards
08-22-2006, 04:22 AM
No, it's one of the idiots from Jetsinsider.

That's OK. They're going to hear about every win Herm has with the Chiefs, while they go through another 4-12 season.

Since Jets fans think that we care about their opinion onm Herm, I'm assuming they're going to want to hear a Herm update from the Chiefs fans every week.

We don't care about your opinion of Herm -- because after year one you will have the same opinion as us. I would love to hear an update on Hermie -- what clock management mistake he made this week.

I would be happy with a 4-12 season as long as our rookies progress. We are rebuilding -- much like you guys will be doing next year when your OLD ass team gets run into the ground (much like ours did)

KcMizzou
08-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Did we troll like this when Marty went to Washington?

I hope not.

Sperm Edwards
08-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Did we troll like this when Marty went to Washington?

I hope not.

I'm not trying to troll.. I'm just bustin ur chops. I actually like the chiefs (minus their head coach). LJ is one of the best if not THE best RB in the NFL. A lot of respect for the old seasoned vet Green and how could I disrespect Holmes/Gonzalez. Their Defense is pretty bad tho..

Dick V. is one of the great coaches. I'm just saying you will see a big downgrade in your coaching. I have 2 friends who are Chiefs fans that live in NY. Maybe it's cuz they do not live in KC -- but they agree with me that Hermie is not the answer. Or maybe it's because they have been listening to me bitch about him for the past four years.

Anyway, good luck this season -- and beat the piss out of those shitty raiders and broncos. but still --- screw herm.

08-22-2006, 05:37 AM
No, it's one of the idiots from Jetsinsider.

I have to stick up for sperm..he does not post that much on Jetsinsider..he is on gang green and jetnation..
and herm kind of reminds me of rich kotite with the eagles..he had 2 10-6 seasons and a playoff berth living off buddy ryan's players..herm had the same track record living off of parcells players..I only hope you guys dont have the same results as kotite did on his second term..I would not wish that on anybody

Sperm Edwards
08-22-2006, 05:40 AM
I have to stick up for sperm..he does not post that much on Jetsinsider..he is on gang green and jetnation..
and herm kind of reminds me of rich kotite with the eagles..he had 2 10-6 seasons and a playoff berth living off buddy ryan's players..herm had the same track record living off of parcells players..I only hope you guys dont have the same results as kotite did on his second term..I would not wish that on anybody

Hey I'm not wishing any ill will towards the chiefs -- just don't get your expectations up.

morphius
08-22-2006, 05:40 AM
what clock management mistake he made this week.

Herm learned his clock management from Dick Vermeil, no matter how bad he is at it, and we already KNOW he is, it isn't any different then DV.

Now put that in your book of thoughts and stop thinking that it is going to bother us any less then it has for the last few years.

08-22-2006, 05:41 AM
and good luck to the chiefs!!!

Sperm Edwards
08-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Herm learned his clock management from Dick Vermeil, no matter how bad he is at it, and we already KNOW he is, it isn't any different then DV.

Now put that in your book of thoughts and stop thinking that it is going to bother us any less then it has for the last few years.

Then where did he learn his X's and O's -- or should I say where didn't he learn them?? Herm is a great motivator -- but not a great head coach. His best place with the Chiefs would be with a skirt and pom poms on the sideline.

rad
08-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Then where did he learn his X's and O's -- or should I say where didn't he learn them?? Herm is a great motivator -- but not a great head coach. His best place with the Chiefs would be with a skirt and pom poms on the sideline.

He'd probably be hotter than the rest of the Chiefs cheerleaders. :Lin:

Dartgod
08-22-2006, 06:55 AM
..herm had the same track record living off of parcells players..
How many times do we have to remind these boneheads that the Jets went 8-8 and 9-7 in the two years prior to Herm taking over??

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 08:10 AM

He'll fit right in with Gunther Cunningham then...

HemiEd
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
How many times do we have to remind these boneheads that the Jets went 8-8 and 9-7 in the two years prior to Herm taking over??

New Yorkers don't listen, they speak.

DaFace
08-22-2006, 09:29 AM
If I didn't hate stickies, I would say we need a thread stickied for the season that says something do the effect of:

Dear Jets Fans,

We got Herm. You don't. We know that you think he sucks. Now STFU!

Sincerely,

The Denizens of Chiefs Planet

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-22-2006, 11:57 AM

I would be willing to bet the Chiefs W/L record over the next 5 years beats the Jets W/L record by at least 20 wins. That's because the Jets are destined to suck just like their fans!