PDA

View Full Version : Pink Taco Stadium

Stinger
08-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Pink Taco's owners make bid to name Cards stadium
Louie Villalobos
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 21, 2006 02:55 PM

First, they shook up the Scottsdale establishment. Now the family behind the Pink Taco restaurant chain is rattling the Arizona Cardinals' cage.

Would you believe Pink Taco Stadium? That's what the Morton family, famous for creating the Hard Rock Café and Morton's Steakhouse, is saying they want to name Cardinals Stadium.

They are offering $30 million for 10 years as evidence of their commitment and are promising to pursue an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals.

One problem. The Cardinals, who control the stadium's naming rights, said they want no part of that name.

Harry Morton, president and CEO of Pink Taco, said his group is prepared to use the $30 million as a starting point. He held a press conference Monday to announce the stadium proposal.

The family said it offered the Cardinals a $5 million good faith check during a meeting last week to show that they are serious about the proposal.

The Cardinals took the presentation as a joke and dismissed the Monday press conference by the family as a publicity stunt.

"There is zero chance of this happening," said Mark Dalton, director of media relations for the Cardinals. "We are in serious and legitimate naming rights discussion with several companies, this is not one of them."

Locally, the restaurant, named after a slang term for the vagina, caused a stir in Scottsdale when Mayor Mary Manross objected to the restaurant's opening in Scottsdale's Waterfront project.

Dalton said the team doesn't wanted to be associated with the Pink Taco brand, but wouldn't say exactly why.

Morton said on Monday that his family is very serious about the naming deal. He plans to meet with the Arizona Cardinals in the coming days. The Cardinals said there is no scheduled meeting.

The family dismissed the team's reaction as a "knee jerk" one and stated the proposal was not an attempt to get more publicity for the restaurant.

"We're talking about $30 million," he said. "That's an expensive publicity stunt."

A Pink Taco restaurant will be opened in Los Angeles early next year. The company is working on building a second restaurant in Arizona and looking at future sites in San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and Dallas.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special5/articles/0821stadium21-ON.html

Spicy McHaggis
08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
The family dismissed the team's reaction as a "knee jerk" one and stated the proposal was not an attempt to get more publicity for the restaurant.

Bull ****ing shit.

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 09:48 PM
"We're talking about $30 million," he said. "That's an expensive publicity stunt."

Actually, it appears that it's a very cheap publicity stunt.

beavis
08-21-2006, 11:57 PM
This story reads like something from The Onion.

big nasty kcnut
08-22-2006, 12:04 AM
I hoping they would name denver stadium that.

08-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I hoping they would name denver stadium that.

Yep. I am sure Taco would love that too.

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Yeah, "big friggin' dick stadium" was already taken...in Oakland.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2006, 01:29 AM
The Pink Taco at the Hard Rock rules. Nothing better than late night Mexican food in Vegas.

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 01:32 AM
The Pink Taco at the Hard Rock rules. Nothing better than late night Mexican food in Vegas.

What do you mean, dude? Late night Mexican food here is nothing to sneeze at.
Been to Tito's Taco's?

and a bliion-jillion places between there and here. That new Julio's(?) place across from Chateau is pretty good. Poquito Mas is still one of my faves.

But Pink Taco in the Hard Rock is pretty good. Their chips aren't that great, though.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
What do you mean, dude? Late night Mexican food here is nothing to sneeze at.
Been to Tito's Taco's?

and a bliion-jillion places between there and here. That new Julio's(?) place across from Chateau is pretty good. Poquito Mas is still one of my faves.

But Pink Taco in the Hard Rock is pretty good. Their chips aren't that great, though.

I meant in Vegas, not in Los Angeles. For late night, I like all the joints on Vermont (Fred 62, House of Pies, Michael's), The 101 (for you Swingers fans) and Mel's Sunset (though Mel's Highland is starting to attract a decent late night crowd).

I tried Julio's and thought "eh, okay". I didn't care for their salsas, the fish tacos were just okay and the tortillas were kinda dried out (not cooked but dried and old). I used to like Poquito until Baja Fresh popped up on Sunset & Fairfax and then Sunset & Vine (right near where I live), but they're not open late. Sharkey's fish tacos are great too but not past 11:00. There's a Rubio's going in on Vine that should be open by the end of the year and I hope they stay open late. El Compadre is late night but it's barf food.

Los Burritos on Hollywood Blvd is open 24 hours and they serve pretty good homestyle Mexican. Tito's absolutely RULES but since I live in Hollywood, I don't find myself at Washington & the 405 very often late at night. Actually, never. Though whenever I'm even close to Tito's, I'll wait in line for twenty minutes with everyone else, just to grab their tacos and enchiladas. Awesome.

BigRock
08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Is it true that if they name it Pink Taco Stadium, they're going to build a Hooters to the north of it?

hawkchief
08-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Is it true that if they name it Pink Taco Stadium, they're going to build a Hooters to the north of it?

"Don't forget "Fuzzys North", above it!

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Yep, with a clamshell-folding, shutting roof, with a tall observation tower at the North end.

StcChief
08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Owner
Bill 'Bowtie' Bidwell will be all about the money

Jmart
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
If they named it "Roberto's Stadium" I would move right next door...

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 07:13 PM
This is too vanilla.

stanleychief
08-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm seeing some marketing potential here. Possible ideas:

"Skip church, sleep in and visit the Pink Taco this Sunday!"
"The Pink Taco: Not just for birthdays and anniversaries anymore!"
"Follow your nose to the Pink Taco"
"Come see our fresh mowed lawn!"

I wonder if this means the stadium will have to close one week per month?

fan4ever
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
They could use it to their advantage. Every time there was a questionable flag, the fans could scream "something smells fishy".

stanleychief
08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Theme music suggestion:

Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2