PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it?

munkey
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Play football again?? (http://www.rockymountainfootball.com/)

I've been hitting the gym hard for about a year now and a group of guys (about half my age) have been bugging me about playing...I'm in good shape and compared to some of the other players I'm a phenom.

I don't know...I'm 37 and not getting any younger so I'm kinda thinking "what the hell".

Flame on...

Rain Man
08-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Go for it. You only live once, at least until they invent a death vaccine.

I was a statistician for a semi-pro team for a couple of years, and I enjoyed being with the team. It was a bunch of guys who really enjoyed football.

Spicy McHaggis
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Are you kidding? I'd love to play again.

If you're in good enough shape and think your body can with stand a season I'd go for it. Yeah, you might blow out a knee but if you don't strap it up one last time you might really regret it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

MOhillbilly
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
shit no- im already crippled.

Spicy McHaggis
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Out of curiosity what position would you play?

munkey
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Are you kidding? I'd love to play again.

If you're in good enough shape and think you're body can with stand a season I'd go for it. Yeah, you might blow out a knee but if you don't strap it up one last time you might really regret it.

That's kinda what I'm thinking....

My first thought was "I don't want to get injuried" but now that they've offered to put me in at TE screw it...

rageeumr
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Man if they had something like that in the KC area I would sign up in a second. I'm sure all my buddies would too. Of course, I'm 25, so it's a bit different.

munkey
08-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Man if they had something like that in the KC area I would sign up in a second. I'm sure all my buddies would too. Of course, I'm 25, so it's a bit different.

You know I'd heard about the league but never researched it. You sure there's nothing in your area?

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Do it, definetly.

rageeumr
08-22-2006, 03:40 PM
You know I'd heard about the league but never researched it. You sure there's nothing in your area?

I'm not saying that there isn't, but I've sure never heard of it. Hell, I had to look forever last year just to find a flag football league.

sedated
08-22-2006, 03:41 PM

ditto

chop
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
It all depends on the type of insurance you carry. Are you covered if you are unable to work? Will they pay your bills if you cannot work? What happens to your job if you get hurt?

When you get to a certain age, there are other obligations that have to be considered before putting yourself in a position that can cause bodily harm.

munkey
08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
It all depends on the type of insurance you carry. Are you covered if you are unable to work? Will they pay your bills if you cannot work? What happens to your job if you get hurt?

When you get to a certain age, there are other obligations that have to be considered before putting yourself in a position that can cause bodily harm.

Self employeed, have insurance and work from home....I'd say the only thing that's given me second thoughts is the later...

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I don't know about helmets and pads, but I'm not above a good flag football game.

jspchief
08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a buddy that just started playing in a semi-pro tackle league at the age of 30 or 31. He says it's the most fun he's ever had playing football.

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I'd do it, depending if you can take the hits.

I'm 37 too. And two years ago, I did some triathlons after not having done one in 12 years. It was great! But the training time wore on my family, so I had to stop.

ChiTown
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I haven't played since my college days, and I'm 40 something or other now. I don't care how good of shape I'm in, football playing shape is something altogether different than just being able to work out for long periods of time without reaching for the O2 tank.

plbrdude
08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
i'd love to, but soon to be 44 and knowing that we'd prolly end up on the streets should i get hurt makes me just want to remain a spectator.

HC_Chief
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
lol

Pads & helmets are taking it too far IMO. I used to play in a flag football league... was a lot of fun. Any more contact than that is asking for trouble.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
If Bob Dole knew what he knew now and had the body and conditioning Bob Dole had 10 years ago, Bob Dole would be all over it.

If you've got the physical ability to do it now, you should do it. Otherwise, when you're older and arthritic, you'll always wonder how much fun it would have been.

On the other hand...if you throw/punt/catch like the Gaylord's that showed up at the Planet gathering in St. Joe last Fall, you should just put down the crack pipe.

Simplex3
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Put up or shut up boys:

http://www.kcshockers.com/

http://www.kcjazzfootball.com/

BucEyedPea
08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Get disability insurance first.

Simplex3
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Get disability insurance first.
Please, they won't get hurt. They're 12ft. tall and bulletproof. :rolleyes:

jspchief
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I couldn't risk the injury. My job doesn't go well with casts and crutches.

munkey
08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't care how good of shape I'm in, football playing shape is something altogether different than just being able to work out for long periods of time without reaching for the O2 tank.

Couldn't agree more with the first practice (which I wouldn't even call practice) just about killed me. I have about 4 months to get in "football shape"...

rageeumr
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Put up or shut up boys:

http://www.kcshockers.com/

http://www.kcjazzfootball.com/

These are minor league teams. I am not minor league talent. The Rocky Mountain league is recreational. Pretty big difference.

Rain Man
08-23-2006, 09:28 AM

Hold on a minute. Does this mean that that's not a picture of you in your avatar?