PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coach: Printers unlikely to be cut

The Poz
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=175008&hubname=

Chiefs Coach: Printers unlikely to be cut

Despite a luke-warm audition so far, it appears that Casey Printers will stick with the Kansas City Chiefs this season, dashing the hopes of CFL teams hoping he might get cut and return north.

Chiefs' quarterbacks coach Terry Shea told CKNW in Vancouver Tuesday that Printers still has a chance to win the number three quarterback job in Kansas City over third round pick Brodie Croyle.

"We're hoping that everything is going to work to where we have the two young quarterbacks on the roster," Shea told CKNW. "And one of those two will emrege as the number three quarterback for the season. Hopefully, the odd man out would have the opportunity to play on the practice squad.

"It's not a question right now of cutting one of the two quarterbacks. It would be trying to figure out who will be on the active roster and who will be on the inactive roster."

Which means, one way or the other, Printers is almost assured of staying with the Chiefs this season. Even as a member of practice squad, Printers would earn $90,000 (US).

Shea admitted that Printers had not exactly seized his opportunity, especially considering the fact that Croyle has been injured during training camp.

"He's only completed 50 percent of his passes, which I'm sure he'd be most disappointed in," Shea said, noting that poor blocking was at least partly to blame. "He scrambles a little more than we'd like to see happen."

Shea said Printers is having trouble putting playbook theory into practice at NFL speed, but added that such difficulties are to be expected for a young quarterback.

His competition, Croyle, will get a long look this week against St. Louis. He has been nursing a shoulder injury throughout camp and practiced for the first time on Monday. Because he missed the first two exhibition games, Croyle is expected to get more snaps than Printers on Saturday against St. Louis.

"We want to see Brodie and it's kind of important to see him play this week and next week," coach Herman Edwards said on the Chiefs official website. "That's kind of important."

Shea noted that Printers should get more time in the Chiefs' fourth and final preseason game, August 31 against New Orleans.

"We're just going to be very patient with Casey," Shea told CKNW. "He's got a lot of upside to him, and no one here with the Chiefs is writing him off."

Hammock Parties
08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
The loser is going on IR. That way no one can steal him.

StcChief
08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Yep. I never thought PS would happen.

PastorMikH
08-22-2006, 06:28 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to make it legit either with the way the OL have been giving protection.

Right now though, I'd think Printers has a decent chance of clearing waivers and making the PS.

CHENZ A!
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I may be the only one, but I would like to see a little more of Printers before giving up on him.

Cormac
08-22-2006, 08:45 PM
I can't imagine Printers making anybody else's squad, so I think he'd be safe on PS this year. There is no way they'll risk exposing Croyle, though. Maybe PUP, to IR, if necessary.

tk13
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
There are some pretty bad QB's out there... I bet somebody could hide Printers as a 3rd QB on their roster.

jspchief
08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Would Printers settle for PS over going back to Canada? I have to think the money would be better in the CFL than on an NFL PS.

ChiefsCountry
08-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Would Printers settle for PS over going back to Canada? I have to think the money would be better in the CFL than on an NFL PS.

Depends the very top of the league makes 500,000 maybe most make 100,000 or less.

jspchief
08-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Depends the very top of the league makes 500,000 maybe most make 100,000 or less.What do NFL practice squad players make? i thought it was peanuts (relatively speaking)

CHENZ A!
08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought we gave Printers a 2 yr deal with a very high(for someone coming from the CFL) signing bonus.

The Poz
08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I believe that if he were to be placed on the PS he'd make $90,000 and approx. $450,000 in the CFL as a starter.

chief52
08-22-2006, 09:38 PM
The thread starter is actually misleading. The article states it is a battle between Printers and Croyle which is pretty obvious. One of them will be cut which is what you have to do to place them on the practice squad ( baring IR etc ). So saying Printers is unlikely to be cut is baseless.

Chieftain58
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
All I know is if Green goes down, then we are screwed.

milkman
08-22-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know what might happen with Printers if the Chiefs try to get him to the PS.

He could decide to go back to Canada.
Another team could claim him.
Or he could land on the PS.

I do know that if the Chiefs try to get Croyle there, he will be claimed by another team.

whoman69
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
There is no way the "loser" of this battle would be put on IR as they would not be allowed to practice with the team at that point. You can only place someone on PUP if they were not able to perform in training camp if I understand the rule correctly. I don't think they want to deactivate Croyle and cost him any time he might have in camp.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I could care less if we lost Printers at this point. Ive seen enough to know that his mechanics suck and he will probably never truly be a "franchise" type of QB. He might mature into a serviceable type someday, but who knows? Those guys are a dime a dozen.

boogblaster
08-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Canada needs Daunte Printers real bad....we can let
Herms kid play before him....Boog Print....

RealSNR
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
All I know is Brodie Croyle is safe this year.

No way the Chiefs put a 3rd round pick on the PS and let him get stolen away

ChiefsCountry
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Canada needs Daunte Printers real bad....we can let
Herms kid play before him....Boog Print....

You know the Printers would only be second string on his old team, BC Lions. Dave Dickinson is a hero up there.

milkman
08-22-2006, 11:01 PM
You know the Printers would only be second string on his old team, BC Lions. Dave Dickinson is a hero up there.

Didn't Dickinson go to camp with an NFL team and get cut a couple years ago??

ChiefsCountry
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Didn't Dickinson go to camp with an NFL team and get cut a couple years ago??

Yep the Chargers. Then he went back up north and Pritners was the star for a year.

BigRedChief
08-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Practice Squad. BS. No way either one of those get by all the NFL teams to make it to the practice squad.

Looks like we are going to have 4 QB's this season on the roster.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Yep. If we're gonna keep them both then we'll have to carry four until we are comfortable with them as #2 and #3 at which time Huard will be released. I'm guessin after game 6 or 8.

PastorMikH
08-23-2006, 07:04 AM
What do NFL practice squad players make? i thought it was peanuts (relatively speaking)

According to the article above, it's $90,000 a year.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Please don't bother with Printers anymore.

Put Croyle in the #3 spot and be done with it.

jidar
08-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Printers will be on the practice squad. someone might steal him, but at this point it's not a huge loss anyway.

Lzen
08-23-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't have a problem with him on the PS. But no way does he deserve to be on the 53 man roster. He's still very raw.

Brock
08-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Some team that actually knows how to develop a QB might steal him. But hey, that's no great loss to KC, since they'll probably never figure out how to do it.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Some team that actually knows how to develop a QB might steal him. But hey, that's no great loss to KC, since they'll probably never figure out how to do it.

Kinda like how Atlanta has developed Vick?

At some point, Chiefs fans are going to have to admit that the main reason we've failed to develop a QB is because we're trying to make gold out of shit. It's hard to develop QB's when you're starting with guys like Ted White, James Killian, and Casey Printers.

Brodie Croyle has TALENT. He's already proven it on a very big stage in one of the premier D1 conferences. HE is the guy we should concentrate EVERY effort on developing.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I guess that last post kinda went in 2 different directions.

My point is:

1) Casey Printers is a run-first QB that likely lacks the smarts to play QB in the NFL.

2) Casey Printers doesn't have world-class athleticism to overcome #1 -- even the great Michael Vick can't overcome it.

noa
08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I think we'll have 4 QBs on the roster. Printers hasn't looked great by any means, but I think our plan with him would be to have him as our backup of the future. Have Croyle replace Trent, and hopefully develop Printers to be a decent #2 QB in a couple years. I don't think the Chiefs are really planning on making him our #1 QB of the future, so there has to be a reason we still want him around.

ROYC75
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM

At some point, Chiefs fans are going to have to admit that the main reason we've failed to develop a QB is because we're trying to make gold out of shit. It's hard to develop QB's when you're starting with guys like Ted White, James Killian, and Casey Printers.

Brodie Croyle has TALENT. He's already proven it on a very big stage in one of the premier D1 conferences. HE is the guy we should concentrate EVERY effort on developing.

This is true, as a general rule we have never drafted high for QB's. But when we have ( Blackledge, Blundin ) , KC has found a way to screw it up.

I will add that I do feel better about Shea as a QB coach over years past.......

ROYC75
08-23-2006, 09:04 AM
I think we'll have 4 QBs on the roster. Printers hasn't looked great by any means, but I think our plan with him would be to have him as our backup of the future. Have Croyle replace Trent, and hopefully develop Printers to be a decent #2 QB in a couple years. I don't think the Chiefs are really planning on making him our #1 QB of the future, so there has to be a reason we still want him around.

Maybe Herm thinks if the QB curse hits KC like it did the Jets he better have a QB with jackrabbit feet to run away from the D.

Brock
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Are you seriously comparing Printers to Vick? I'm not talking about betting the future of the franchise on him. If he doesn't pan out, the Chiefs have lost literally nothing on him.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Are you seriously comparing Printers to Vick? I'm not talking about betting the future of the franchise on him. If he doesn't pan out, the Chiefs have lost literally nothing on him.

He's just exactly like Mike Vick -- poor mechanics, uncomfortable in the pocket, run first mentality -- only without any of the physical tools.

Acting like we're out nothing is ridiculous. That 4th QB spot could be tied up in a position of NEED, like backup OL, DL, or CB. Not to mention that they're potentially ****ing around with Croyle's status on the roster to make room for Printers.

BigChiefFan
08-23-2006, 09:16 AM
He's just exactly like Mike Vick -- poor mechanics, uncomfortable in the pocket, run first mentality -- only without any of the physical tools.

Acting like we're out nothing is ridiculous. That 4th QB spot could be tied up in a position of NEED, like backup OL, DL, or CB. Not to mention that they're potentially ****ing around with Croyle's status on the roster to make room for Printers.
Tell that Bill Bellichek. He kept FOUR QBs on the roster, when Brady was a rookie.

noa
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM

He might be physically reminiscent of Vick, but we want to breed him for the back up role, not to be our franchise player. I think that's certainly possible. With a couple of years in the NFL, I'll bet Printers would be as good a backup as Huard, probably even better.
If the coaches deem it necessary to keep for QB's on the roster, then they must see a definite potential for Croyle and Printers to fill necessary roles (Croyle as the QBOTF and Printers as the backup of the future). Thus, they see it as something they "NEED" to do.
Also, I really don't think they are messing with Croyle's status. He will definitely make the roster, and whether he makes it as #3 or #4 on the depth chart, he won't see a single snap this year (if we are lucky), so it doesn't matter that much.

Brock
08-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Not to mention that they're potentially ****ing around with Croyle's status on the roster to make room for Printers.

Oh, come on. :rolleyes: There is no way in hell Croyle isn't on the team. And frankly, from what I've seen, there isn't a backup OL or DL on this team that's worth keeping anyway.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Tell that Bill Bellichek. He kept FOUR QBs on the roster, when Brady was a rookie.

So because Belichek did it once, that makes it the thing to do, right?

I forgot that the guy has never, not once, made a mistake.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh, come on. :rolleyes: There is no way in hell Croyle isn't on the team. And frankly, from what I've seen, there isn't a backup OL or DL on this team that's worth keeping anyway.

From what I've seen, there isn't a backup OL or DL on this team that is WORSE than Printers.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
He might be physically reminiscent of Vick, but we want to breed him for the back up role, not to be our franchise player. I think that's certainly possible. With a couple of years in the NFL, I'll bet Printers would be as good a backup as Huard, probably even better.
If the coaches deem it necessary to keep for QB's on the roster, then they must see a definite potential for Croyle and Printers to fill necessary roles (Croyle as the QBOTF and Printers as the backup of the future). Thus, they see it as something they "NEED" to do.
Also, I really don't think they are messing with Croyle's status. He will definitely make the roster, and whether he makes it as #3 or #4 on the depth chart, he won't see a single snap this year (if we are lucky), so it doesn't matter that much.

We don't need Huard to be a backup in 2 years. We need Huard to be the backup THIS year.

Keeping Printers serves no useful purpose. He can't play now, and by the time we NEED him to play, Croyle will be the starter. At that point, we'd be much better served to backup Croyle with a veteran QB with experience - a Todd Collins type.

Brock
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Keeping Printers serves no useful purpose. He can't play now, and by the time we NEED him to play, Croyle will be the starter.

There is no way to know that.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:32 AM
There is no way to know that.

No way to know what? That Croyle won't be the starter? I would agree, we can't know that. But that should be the PLAN.

And if that's the plan, there's no reason to keep Printers. He's never going to be starting caliber, and he's not what we need to backup a young QB.

I just don't understand this fanbase's obsession with shitty players.

noa
08-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Its not just this board. Obviously, the coaching staff has some role for him in mind. Why else would Terry Shea say that he wants to keep both young guys on the roster? He sees potential for Printers to fulfill some need for the team, and you can disagree with that, but we are basing our opinions off of what we hear from coaches, not because we are "obsessed with shitty players."

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Its not just this board. Obviously, the coaching staff has some role for him in mind. Why else would Terry Shea say that he wants to keep both young guys on the roster? He sees potential for Printers to fulfill some need for the team, and you can disagree with that, but we are basing our opinions off of what we hear from coaches, not because we are "obsessed with shitty players."

I'm firmly convinced that there's 2 things fueling this from the coaches perspective:

1) Terry Shea is enamored with Printers' legs -- he's caught up in the current NFL obsession with mobile QB's.

2) Herm Edwards wants to go into the season with as many possible QB's on the roster as the NFL will allow, given what happened last season in NY.

BigChiefFan
08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
So because Belichek did it once, that makes it the thing to do, right?

I forgot that the guy has never, not once, made a mistake.
Did I say that? NO. You INFER alot of shit. I mentioned that BB did that with Brady because he saw something in him. Nothing more, nothing less. Could it be that our FO actually KNOWS more than YOU about our QB situation? Nah, that couldn't be, could it?

Most would agree that Printers, up to this point isn't anything special but considering he's the 4th string QB on the depth chart, he's actually done some things in the games. Would I like to see him perform better? Absolutely, but I'm not willing to call him a shitty player after TWO preseason games, that would be foolish.

FringeNC
08-23-2006, 09:45 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that Casey Printers won't get be the #3 QB, and will be offered a practice squad spot. And I really don't care if he takes it or not.

So, really, in my mind, Printers is LIKELY to be cut. (Isn't getting placed on the practice squad getting cut?)

Brock
08-23-2006, 09:56 AM
No way to know what? That Croyle won't be the starter? I would agree, we can't know that. But that should be the PLAN.

And if that's the plan, there's no reason to keep Printers. He's never going to be starting caliber, and he's not what we need to backup a young QB.

Obsessed my ass. Not so sure Printers couldn't be developed, yeah.

BigChiefFan
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
1) Terry Shea is enamored with Printers' legs -- he's caught up in the current NFL obsession with mobile QB's.

Quote from THIS article:"He scrambles a little more than we'd like to see happen."

Htis, Selective Memory, again.

ncognito
08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
There is no way they decide Printers over Croyle, and cut a 3rd round pick.

1. They decide to keep 4 QBs, with 1 inactive every week.

2. They put Brodie on the PUP, and decide later.

3. They put Brodie on IR, and let him learn with the clipboard.

4. They cut Printers and IF he clears waivers, ask him to join the PS to continue his NFL dream.

5. Brodie shows his stuff, and we roll the dice with Croyle as #2, Printers at #3, and cut the dead weight in Huard.

6. This article is a desperate attempt to salvage any trade value Printers might hold. Somebody might be willing to continue grooming this guy.

I think 3 and 4 are unlikely.

I'd bet 6 is on the minds of the FO, but don't see any value with him personally.

Which leaves 1, 2, and 5 as my most likely scenarios, IMO.

I'm leaning 5, cut Huard if Brodie looks good these next 2 weeks. We're not gonna win anything with Huard under center anyway. Most likely nobody would sign him, and if we get desperate later, just bring him back.

FringeNC
08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
There is no way they decide Printers over Croyle, and cut a 3rd round pick.

1. They decide to keep 4 QBs, with 1 inactive every week.

2. They put Brodie on the PUP, and decide later.

3. They put Brodie on IR, and let him learn with the clipboard.

4. They cut Printers and IF he clears waivers, ask him to join the PS to continue his NFL dream.

5. Brodie shows his stuff, and we roll the dice with Croyle as #2, Printers at #3, and cut the dead weight in Huard.

6. This article is a desperate attempt to salvage any trade value Printers might hold. Somebody might be willing to continue grooming this guy.

I think 3 and 4 are unlikely.

I'd bet 6 is on the minds of the FO, but don't see any value with him personally.

Which leaves 1, 2, and 5 as my most likely scenarios, IMO.

I'm leaning 5, cut Huard if Brodie looks good these next 2 weeks. We're not gonna win anything with Huard under center anyway. Most likely nobody would sign him, and if we get desperate later, just bring him back.

Why are you confident that another team would pick up Printers if we cut him?

Brock
08-23-2006, 10:24 AM

I don't know whether anyone would or not, but there were definitely other teams interested in him before signed with KC.

ncognito
08-23-2006, 10:30 AM

I don't know whether anyone would or not, but there were definitely other teams interested in him before signed with KC.

Just that alone. Young QBs with potential are interesting. No telling if anyone remains interested.

EDIT: FringeNC - If you're referring to this:

Most likely nobody would sign him, and if we get desperate later, just bring him back.

I was referring to Huard, not Printers, in this quote.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Did I say that? NO. You INFER alot of shit. I mentioned that BB did that with Brady because he saw something in him. Nothing more, nothing less. Could it be that our FO actually KNOWS more than YOU about our QB situation? Nah, that couldn't be, could it?

Most would agree that Printers, up to this point isn't anything special but considering he's the 4th string QB on the depth chart, he's actually done some things in the games. Would I like to see him perform better? Absolutely, but I'm not willing to call him a shitty player after TWO preseason games, that would be foolish.

Just what did I infer? I asked a goddamn question.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Quote from THIS article:"He scrambles a little more than we'd like to see happen."

Htis, Selective Memory, again.

Selective memory? How is that even relevant? Seriously, if you want to argue about this, might I suggest you look up the term "applicable"?

This has NOTHING to do with memory.

I said up front "I'm firmly convinced". That means it's my OPINION. It doesn't have jack shit to do with remembering anything, so how it becomes "selective memory" is beyond me.

Terry Shea was Mike McMahon's coach in college and he wanted us to draft Mike McMahon. He likes that style of QB - somewhat mobile, mostly untalented - and that's why he likes Printers. That's my OPINION.

BigChiefFan
08-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Just what did I infer? I asked a goddamn question.A RHETORICAL question. Here was/is your question...

Htis: "So because Belichek did it once, that makes it the thing to do, right?

I forgot that the guy has never, not once, made a mistake."

Besides that-I mentioned Tom Brady. You can't be inferring that keeping Brady as the 4th QB in his rookie year(which it what I mentioned when referring to BB in the 1st place) was a mistake, can you?

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
A RHETORICAL question. Here was/is your question...

Htis: "So because Belichek did it once, that makes it the thing to do, right?

I forgot that the guy has never, not once, made a mistake."

Besides that-I mentioned Tom Brady. You can't be inferring that keeping Brady as the 4th QB in his rookie year(which it what I mentioned when referring to BB in the 1st place) was a mistake, can you?

You can't be comparing Tom Brady to Casey Printers, can you?

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 12:02 PM
If the OL continues to play the way it has in preseason a QB with Printers' scrambling ability will be nice to have because all the pocket passers will be beaten to a pulp.

BigChiefFan
08-23-2006, 12:16 PM
You can't be comparing Tom Brady to Casey Printers, can you?Yes, ONLY in the sense that they both may have been the 4th QB carried on their roster as rookies, but I can't see into the future, like you seem to be able to(you summed up Printers after 2 preseason games with a patchwork O-line-hence your being able to see into the future).

BTW, how about answering instead of deflecting?

ILikeBigTiddys
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I think a lot of people are giving up on Printers too quickly. His protection has sucked and if Green was in there he would have been killed.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes, ONLY in the sense that they both may have been the 4th QB carried on their roster as rookies, but I can't see into the future, like you seem to be able to(you summed up Printers after 2 preseason games with a patchwork O-line-hence your being able to see into the future).

BTW, how about answering instead of deflecting?

Deflecting? Get real.

How's this for an answer:

Tom Brady played at ****ING MICHIGAN. He was a 2-time All-Big 10 selection and won 20 of his 25 starts, including a conference championship. And even though it was the 6th round, the Patriots spent a draft pick on him, making him far more valuable to keep.

Casey Printers played 3 years at TCU before transferring to Florida A&M. He was so highly-regarded coming out of college that he couldn't beat out AFL QB Spurgon Wynn for the #2 QB postion in BC. He finally saw the field after an injury to Dickenson.

tk13
08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Printers has been exactly what I expected. I don't know what the rest of you guys were expecting, but if he was some kinda hidden Michael Vick with a passing arm he wouldn't have been playing in the CFL. He is a project, we knew that when we signed him. I don't know if he's going to develop, but you can't take two preseason games behind poor protection and call the guy a bust. That's really premature. I'm not opposed to putting him on the 53 man and making him inactive every gameday.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Printers has been exactly what I expected. I don't know what the rest of you guys were expecting, but if he was some kinda hidden Michael Vick with a passing arm he wouldn't have been playing in the CFL. He is a project, we knew that when we signed him. I don't know if he's going to develop, but you can't take two preseason games behind poor protection and call the guy a bust. That's really premature. I'm not opposed to putting him on the 53 man and making him inactive every gameday.

Who do you leave off the 53-man to keep him on? Rich Scanlon? A 5th WR?

tk13
08-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Scanlon was active pretty much every week wasn't he? I don't think he's even a candidate to be cut or inactive. We carried something like 11 offensive linemen last year... with Roaf and Welbourn gone that's two spots right there. I don't think it's really going to be all that difficult.

milkman
08-23-2006, 05:18 PM

You're projecting the failures of past coaching regimes onto this staff.

And the reality is that we haven't had a young QB with any potential in years.

Brock
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
You're projecting the failures of past coaching regimes onto this staff.

And the reality is that we haven't had a young QB with any potential in years.

So I guess I can assume you're in the "Keep Casey" camp.

milkman
08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
So I guess I can assume you're in the "Keep Casey" camp.

No, I could not care less about Printers.

I do have high hopes for Croyle.

The point I'm making though, is that you can not look at the past and make assumptions about our present situation in this case.

Past history has no relevance here.