PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys to cut T.O.?

FringeNC
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

INJURY MIGHT TIE TUNA'S HANDS

A league source raised with us on Tuesday night a great point -- and one of our readers echoed it this morning.

To the extent that the Cowboys would contemplate dumping Owens and his $5 million salary before it becomes fully guaranteed on the first weekend of the regular season, the fact that Owens has a hamstring injury that he claims was aggravated by a premature return to practice would result in either an injury settlement or a grievance, if he is cut before he is completely healed.

And maybe that's why (as we reported early Sunday) Owens is taking the position that he might not be 100 percent until the second week of the regular season, since even one game check obtained is worth nearly $300,000.

In fact, the recent statement by Jerry Jones that Owens might have another MRI on his hamstring could be part of a plan by the team to ensure that he's technically "healthy" before they make a final decision as to whether having T.O. and the intense media scrutiny that he attracts for the full course of a 17-week season is worth the headache.

We're not saying that they will let him go. But it would be stoopid not to at least consider it, given what has transpired over the past few weeks.

Meanwhile, kudos to the reader who pointed out to us this morning that, while Owens has missed 15 practices and counting with a "serious" hamstring pull that has yet to show any damage on an MRI, safety Keith Davis has been going strong despite having a bullet in his leg.

DMAC
08-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Rumors, they are funny.

ct
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
uh...no

morphius
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
PFT cracks me up...

... and someone ought to crack them over the head with a large pipe.

DaFace
08-23-2006, 09:30 AM
In case it wasn't already obvious....

ProFootballTalk.

Enough said.

FringeNC
08-23-2006, 09:33 AM
In case it wasn't already obvious....

ProFootballTalk.

Enough said.

Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd post it after going to their site to listen to the Pastabelly meltdown link in the other thread.

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 09:43 AM
They do have a good article about the Lelie trade and how much money he owes and might have to owe back to the Broncos.

I used to despise PFT but over the last year they have improved a lot and have hit on a lot of "rumors."

The TO article exposes a contingency major outlets haven't discussed or thought about. It does provide for some interesting thought on TO's hamstring and why Jerry Jones hinted the team might want an MRI and why Owens is saying he might not know until after week 1. It is speculation, but at least it is interesting speculation and original.

greg63
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
T'will never happen....this year anyway.

HemiEd
08-23-2006, 09:54 AM
I think it would be very funny for a team to stick to him at least once. One of the great things about the NFL, the game is still bigger than the players. **** TO!

Eleazar
08-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Yet another gem in the form of "Ok, I know it's PFT, but..."

4th and Long
08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
"I was at this party and someone slipped something in my drink and I passed out. The next thing I remember was waking up in a bathtub filled with ice and my own blood and someone had removed one of my kidneys."

MVChiefFan
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
"stoopid"??? That says it all

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I can't wait for the "T.O. , Beyone the Glory" episode on ESPN, cause that is about all this dude is going to participate in anytime soon.

Eleazar
08-23-2006, 11:12 AM
At least they admit in this article that it's their own speculation on display and not some real information. more than you can say for some...

Wile_E_Coyote
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
TERRELL OWENS WILL BE A CHIEF....SUPER BOWL IS OURS BITCHES......WILEY_E_COYOTE..OUTT

StcChief
08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
TO....too freakin' bad.

chappy
08-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Damnit Carl GO GET HIM
THIS IS THE MISSING LINK!!!!
LOL

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
At least they admit in this article that it's their own speculation on display and not some real information. more than you can say for some...

Exactly. They aren't pretending to be passing on some type of inside info. In this case they are doing a "what if" scenario and discussing some interesting aspects of the situation that most people are unaware of.

When it comes to trades and signings and money issues, PFT has some very good reads.

Hoover
08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't they just trade his ass?

PastorMikH
08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
After hearing Jones' comments on TO on Monday Night Football, I seriously doubt anything like this would happen.

Given the rumor's source, I would say with 100% certainty that TO will be a Cowboy all year.

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Somebody should remind TO, that without football, he could become the next Maurice Clarinet.

jspchief
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Didn't he get something like 11 million in signing bonus? or maybe with bounus and salary it was 11 mil for the year.

Either way, the Cowboys are too deep to cut him now.

Halfcan
08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey, lets sign TO threads-are on their way.

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Didn't he get something like 11 million in signing bonus? or maybe with bounus and salary it was 11 mil for the year.

Either way, the Cowboys are too deep to cut him now.If they didn't include massive amounts of "we won't put up wit none o yo chit" clauses in his contract, then the Cowboys are idiots.

greg63
08-24-2006, 06:01 AM
If they didn't include massive amounts of "we won't put up wit none o yo chit" clauses in his contract, then the Cowboys are idiots.

They are notwithstanding.

Mile High Mania
08-24-2006, 06:12 AM
There hasn't been any speculation of this really on Dallas sports radio... granted, I haven't heard what they're discussing today.

The 'rumor' yesterday was that Kerry Collins was seen at DFW airport and was supposedly in town to visit with Dallas about the backup QB role.

Who knows... I would be surprised.

chiefz
08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
The funniest part of this story:

We're not saying that they will let him go. But it would be stoopid not to at least consider it, given what has transpired over the past few weeks

:drool:

DaFace
08-24-2006, 08:05 AM
The funniest part of this story:

:drool:

Ha, I envision your avatar being the perfect smilie for that quote.

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 08:12 AM
There hasn't been any speculation of this really on Dallas sports radio... granted, I haven't heard what they're discussing today.

The 'rumor' yesterday was that Kerry Collins was seen at DFW airport and was supposedly in town to visit with Dallas about the backup QB role.

Who knows... I would be surprised.

But Peter King told me the backup QB was going to be Drew Bledsoe...

htismaqe
08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
TO is not going anywhere. If Bill Parcells REALLY has a problem with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see HIM go before TO. Jerry Jones wants his green and TO brings that...

On a different note, they won't cut TO, but they're gonna cut Drew Henson and the rumors about interest from KC are already flying...

stevieray
08-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think I've ever anticipated a career being over like I have his.

Chiefnj
08-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I have no problem with TO personally, I just wish the national media would stop its daily - we must report everything about the guy every 15 minutes. Every two second news bite about the guy is turned into a 15 minute story. Okay, he's not going to play in the 3rd preseason game, fine, say it and move on.

stevieray
08-24-2006, 09:03 AM
I have no problem with TO personally, I just wish the national media would stop its daily - we must report everything about the guy every 15 minutes. Every two second news bite about the guy is turned into a 15 minute story. Okay, he's not going to play in the 3rd preseason game, fine, say it and move on.

The media created the freakshow.

TO reminds of the kid lying on the grocery store floor throwing a fit because he's been coddled all his life.

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 09:13 AM
On a different note, they won't cut TO, but they're gonna cut Drew Henson and the rumors about interest from KC are already flying...

That would be nice. We could replace Casey Printers with a quarterback.

Sure-Oz
08-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Sign TO NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWONE!!1111111111onewon!

FringeNC
08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
TO is not going anywhere. If Bill Parcells REALLY has a problem with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see HIM go before TO. Jerry Jones wants his green and TO brings that...

to replace Huard or Printers? I'd imagine Printers. Huard's the only backup who knows the offense, however bad he may be.

PastorMikH
08-25-2006, 12:17 PM

You are at least half right so far...

Henson Released by Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2560295)

Question is, would he be any better than Huard? Who has more upside, him or Croyle?