PDA

View Full Version : Overrated and underrated current Chiefs

Rain Man
08-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Who are the most overrated and underrated guys on our current roster? All suggestions are welcome.

I would propose the following:

1. The most underrated - Will Shields. I know, I know, 11 pro bowls, already posing for his Hall of Fame bust, finally bought a condo in Hawaii to save money on hotels. But after all of that, I hear people still saying that he was the third-best lineman on the Chiefs last year. When the NFL talks about dominant linemen, they'll mention the Ogdens and Paces, but Shields is never mentioned. He just shows up, does his job, and goes to Hawaii in February.

3. The most overrated - Greg Wesley. I think he's probably viewed around the league as a decent if not spectacular hitter and ballhawk, and his stats show a fair number of interceptions over the years. However, I sure get tired of seeing him jogging toward a pile instead of charging in and nailing the runner. Is anyone scared to go over the middle against Greg Wesley?

CosmicPal
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Most underrated: Jared Allen. Considering he plays on defensive line that does little, if anything to help him- as well as the fact that he was a mid-round draft pick coming out of a small college- I think he's done remarkably well.

If Tamba Hali can make some noise on the other end, and we get more consistent penetration up the middle- this would only make Allen even more potent. But, we should expect another year of double-digits sacks, yet no mention of him on ESPN.

Most overrated: Sammy Knight. He's just not the same player he used to be and has lost his natural speed. He still does a fine job of getting to the ball, but lacks the speed to catch up on the deep fly routes. However, he's always mentioned with Surtain and Law as those who will make this defense tick. I see him actually losing his job to one of the rookies.

ncognito
08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Most Underrated - Casey Wiegmann. This guy can move like few Centers in the game ever could, and can hold the point vs. DTs.

Most Overrated - Ty freaking Law. This guy is a shell of his former self, and has made himself a lot of $ lately on rep alone. That said, he's still an upgrade over what we had on that side.

Fish
08-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Underrated: Casey Wiegmann Very solid center. Athletic enough to pull on some running plays, and tough enough to hold up the middle. How many other teams can say they have a center that can pull and get to the outside on a sweep as well as Wiegmann?

Overrated: Sammy Knight For the same reasons Cosmic listed.

Archie Bunker
08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Underrated: Casey Wiegmann Very solid center. Athletic enough to pull on some running plays, and tough enough to hold up the middle. How many other teams can say they have a center that can pull and get to the outside on a sweep as well as Wiegmann?

Overrated: Sammy Knight For the same reasons Cosmic listed.

These are my 2 as well.

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 10:20 AM
From a national media perspective:

Overrated - Larry Johnson. Yep, LJ. He had a great 9 starts last year running behind a fantastic OL. Lets see if he can hold up for a full 16 games running behind the likes of Turley, Sampson and Black and a new OC before annointing him the best back in the NFL.

Underrated - Patrick Surtain. He has slipped into anonymity playing in the secondary of a team with no pass rush. He was always considered a top tier CB when in Miami, and then in one season in red and gold he is a nobody.

Florida_Bronco
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Overrated - Larry Johnson. Yep, LJ. He had a great 9 starts last year running behind a fantastic OL. Lets see if he can hold up for a full 16 games running behind the likes of Turley, Sampson and Black and a new OC before annointing him the best back in the NFL.

Quoted for truth.

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Quoted for truth.Quoted because you're a dumb****

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
From a national media perspective:

Underrated - Patrick Surtain. He has slipped into anonymity playing in the secondary of a team with no pass rush. He was always considered a top tier CB when in Miami, and then in one season in red and gold he is a nobody.WTF does a new coordinator have to do with a lack of production for a RB? Are you saying Green will do nothing but throw the ball this year?

Demonpenz
larry johnson. Lets see if he gets taken out for important pass plays or maybe can stop scott fujita once inawhile before we start calling him OJ simpson

Weigman no pro bowls but he should be in there atleast once

htismaqe
most people have hit on them already...

Underrated: Allen, Wiegmann, Waters, Surtain
Overrated: Law, Knight, Wesley

TinyEvel
08-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Good thread.
Funny how eveyone's overrated votes so far are in our D secondary (or, they were when I started typing this).

I agree on Sammy Knight

UNDERRATED: From a national media level, I'd say Trent Green. The guy is such a great leader, so talented, yet flies under the radar mostly. Sure, he gets respect any time anyone mentions his name, but it's not like guys are talking about him, bringing up his name like Peyton, McNabb, Favre, etc. You don't see Trent selling soup or DIRECTV, and maybe that's fine. I think people lose some respect for Peyton after seeing him in the 50th commercial during a game. But I'd like to see Trent get the buzz he deserves, though I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about that.

Demonpenz
08-23-2006, 10:45 AM
trent green isn't there because of his fumbling problems

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Overrated: Eric Hicks. This guy sucks so bad for being an apparent starter, that the fact that no one says anything about him is giving him too much praise. I haven't once yet heard Carl's codpiece Gretz say one bad thing about his play this year... in fact, the opposite. "He's a solid run-stopper"

Underrated: Kris Wilson. But don't tell anyone.

InChiefsHeaven
08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Under-rated - Kawika. Although, there are some who are talking about him, most tend to be Chiefs fans and you don't hear much about him. I anticipate that this will change after this season. KM is about to have a career season...

Over-rated - hard to say, but I can't go with Ty Law yet...he's not played much to rate him, but the last time I saw, Grandpa Law had 10 INT's last year so...

...I'd have to go with Knight, and I hate to say it. Seems like we got him right after he was great...

InChiefsHeaven
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
trent green isn't there because of his fumbling problems

Trent Green isn't there because of one playoff appearance and it was a loss...I've never heard anyone knock him for fumbles that I can recall...it also doesn't help that for the last few seasons, it's been the Priest\Johnson show. Even though Trent has put up impressive numbers and been to 2 pro bowls, nobody identifies him as THE Chiefs offense, that has been left to the running game.

TinyEvel
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Under-rated - Kawika. Although, there are some who are talking about him, most tend to be Chiefs fans and you don't hear much about him. I anticipate that this will change after this season. KM is about to have a career season...

Amen, bruthah!
:clap:

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Can't believe I forgot Mitchell. He won't be underrated after this season.

el borracho
08-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Underrated would have to be Scanlon.

Florida_Bronco
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Quoted because you're a dumb****

That hurt my feelings [/sarcasm]

chiefqueen
08-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Overrated LJ???????... could it be somebody couldn't draft him for his fantasy team and is trying to convince himself LJ's not very good and that he still has a shot at winning his fantasy league??

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
That hurt my feelings [/sarcasm]Wasn't trying to be mean, but it's the truth.

You said LJ wasn't special. You think he's just another average Julius Jones/Jamal Anderson/Michael Pittman that comes into this league. You are incorrect, so therefore, you are a dumb****.

See how I backed up my statement with reasons that weren't utter horseshit?

Florida_Bronco
08-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Wasn't trying to be mean, but it's the truth.

You said LJ wasn't special. You think he's just another average Julius Jones/Jamal Anderson/Michael Pittman that comes into this league. You are incorrect, so therefore, you are a dumb****.

See how I backed up my statement with reasons that weren't utter horseshit?

Well, no thats not the point I was making. The point I was making is along the same lines of what ChiefNJ posted.

Besides, what's the worst case scenario? That I'm wrong? God forbid if that would happen.

DMAC
08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Under-Colquitt
I was against them drafting him last year, but he will probably be our MVP.

Over-Wesley
Bring in a rookie, please. Either one.

StcChief
08-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Over-rated: Knight...probably was on the backside of his career. Still a good SS.

Wesley- just rated as avg. anyway. flashed brilliance but never really panned out as great.

Under-rated: Weigmann (as are most interior line men)
Should have had more PBowls. Can pull for sweep, or hold the best DT at bay or make holes.

developing to great players: time will tell.

Allen, Mitchell, DJ,

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
WTF does a new coordinator have to do with a lack of production for a RB? Are you saying Green will do nothing but throw the ball this year?

A new coordinator and new HC may have a lot to do with Larry's success. Saunders spread the ball around, kept defenses on their toes. Herm has gone on record saying he wants to run the ball and grind it out more. If that is the case then teams may very well stack the box and do a better job against the run. In short, I think a new OC can have an effect on the production of every single offensive skills position players stats.

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Well, no thats not the point I was making. The point I was making is along the same lines of what ChiefNJ posted.

Besides, what's the worst case scenario? That I'm wrong? God forbid if that would happen.And if you're right then you can swagger around and say, "I told you so" when in reality you made a prediction based on what you HOPED would happen and tried to find the most convincing evidence possible to support your claim.

If you're wrong, feel free to ask Taco what he does to avoid looking like a retard. His record of predictions isn't that great, as I'm sure you're aware of on the Mane

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
A new coordinator and new HC may have a lot to do with Larry's success. Saunders spread the ball around, kept defenses on their toes. Herm has gone on record saying he wants to run the ball and grind it out more. If that is the case then teams may very well stack the box and do a better job against the run. In short, I think a new OC can have an effect on the production of every single offensive skills position players stats.Which isn't the case with Solari. Jimmy Raye, then yes, you would have a point. But from what we've seen from our "vanilla" offense, Solari still has a lot of Saunders in him from being his apprentice for awhile

Florida_Bronco
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
And if you're right then you can swagger around and say, "I told you so" when in reality you made a prediction based on what you HOPED would happen and tried to find the most convincing evidence possible to support your claim.

If you're wrong, feel free to ask Taco what he does to avoid looking like a retard. His record of predictions isn't that great, as I'm sure you're aware of on the Mane

If you want to get technical about it, I didn't make any predictions in that post, I only raised questions about whether or not he would perform at a top level as a 16 game starter.

For the record, I don't think LJ will perform at the level he did in 2005, but I don't think he'll fall off the map. As of now, I'm predicting 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns, but that may change as the regular season draws closer.

RealSNR
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
If you want to get technical about it, I didn't make any predictions in that post, I only raised questions about whether or not he would perform at a top level as a 16 game starter.

For the record, I don't think LJ will perform at the level he did in 2005, but I don't think he'll fall off the map. As of now, I'm predicting 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns, but that may change as the regular season draws closer.k

Halfcan
08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Overrated-Simms getting picked so high out of college-cut him already. Junior-were they on acid in the war room???

Underrated-Trent Green-a top 3 QB-if he played on the East Coast-would be a media darling like MCflabb.

MahiMike
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Underrated - Trent Green. I love this guy. The consumate professional that throws a perfect pass. Puts up top 5 numbers with bottom 5 talent WRs. The play last year where he made a tackle after a pick was vintage Trent. Most QBs in the league pull an ole there.

Overrated - Gunther. I'm sure Carl wishes he could have taken back the decision to reunite with this one-trick pony.

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Which isn't the case with Solari. Jimmy Raye, then yes, you would have a point. But from what we've seen from our "vanilla" offense, Solari still has a lot of Saunders in him from being his apprentice for awhile

I'm glad you saw much more from Solari than I did. From the Giants game the only thing I saw from the first string offense was an OL that couldn't open up holes for LJ and an OL that was going to let Green get killed. The same goes for the 2nd and 3rd team OLs.

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
overrated - Eric Hicks

Under Rated- Trent Green

wutamess
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Over Rated: Trent Green... I like him and think he's a serviceable QB, but his #'s are inflated and helped by the running game. I don't think he can take our team to the promise land without a great RB like a Brady can.

Under Rated: 2004 2005 Eric Hicks. I know a lot of people was down on him but in 2004 He didn't get a lot of sacks but he hit the QB. Most evident was the mind shattering hits put on Peyton Manning causing him to be off his game in our home win the year after the palyoffs.

milkman
08-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Just about every possible person has been mentioned, so I'll just comment on some of the selections.

A couple people have named Kawika as underrated, but I disagree with that assertion.
He finally came around and started to play at a level one should expect for a 2nd rounder last season.
If he continues to play at that level, and improves beyond that, then he would be underrated if he doesn't get any media love.

Until then, he's still just a player on the rise.

Wutamess tells us that Green is overrated, and his numbers are inflated because of the running game.
Also tells us that he's a "servicable" QB.

That is a load.

Trent Dilfer was servicable.
He had a 2000 yard RB to support him, and he never put up the kind of numbers that Green has put up.

Priest and LJ have done some great things, but Green is the leader of this team, and he's put up those numbers in spite of the fact that the receiving corps he's had to work with has been among the bottom third of the league.

And MahiMike, your selection of Gunt as the most overrated is right on.

Saulbadguy
08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Under-rated: Wiegmann.
Over-rated: Wesley.

HemiEd
08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Overrated: Eric Hicks. This guy sucks so bad for being an apparent starter, that the fact that no one says anything about him is giving him too much praise. I haven't once yet heard Carl's codpiece Gretz say one bad thing about his play this year... in fact, the opposite. "He's a solid run-stopper"

Underrated: Kris Wilson. But don't tell anyone.

Quoting this for truth!

InChiefsHeaven
08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Over Rated: Trent Green... I like him and think he's a serviceable QB, but his #'s are inflated and helped by the running game. I don't think he can take our team to the promise land without a great RB like a Brady can.

Under Rated: 2004 2005 Eric Hicks. I know a lot of people was down on him but in 2004 He didn't get a lot of sacks but he hit the QB. Most evident was the mind shattering hits put on Peyton Manning causing him to be off his game in our home win the year after the palyoffs.

Interesting selections...you are insane... :p

milkman
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Quoting this for truth!

Quoting this just for the hell of it!

Pitt Gorilla
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Underrated - Waters, Mitchell. Waters is the new Larry Allen. He crushes people with his blocks. Genious Chiefs fans (on here) wanted to cut Mitchell, yet the guy is big, fast, and blows up plays.

Overrated - Knight, Wesley. It stinks that our starting safety tandem is overpaid and tentative to hit.

htismaqe
08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Underrated - Waters, Mitchell. Waters is the new Larry Allen. He crushes people with his blocks. Genious Chiefs fans (on here) wanted to cut Mitchell, yet the guy is big, fast, and blows up plays.

Overrated - Knight, Wesley. It stinks that our starting safety tandem is overpaid and tentative to hit.

Page and Pollard are on their way! ;)

whoaskew
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
under: Kennison- has he even got his pay raise yet?

over: Allen- sure, he is better than everyone else we've got, but isn't that like being the only contestant in a beauty contest and winning first place? If he is so good, shouldn't his line-mates have better numbers?

HemiEd
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Quoting this just for the hell of it!

ROFL