PDA

View Full Version : Have you driven a Ford lately?

alnorth
08-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, after many months of research and figuring out what to buy and when to buy a new car, the deed is finally done. I'm curious to know if I did well, did ok, or got screwed.

2007 Ford Focus ST (Sport Trim, black) (http://www.autoworld.com/apps/news/FullStory.asp?id=5681&frame=)

First step: financing. I had no intention of putting myself at the mercy of the dealer, I was going to get approved by someone before I ever stepped foot on the lot. After a lot of shopping around, I got a decent rate from Capital One Auto's "blank check" loan. (They send you a document showing the maximum loan amount you are approved for and a blank check you fill out when its time to pay the dealer). When the car was eventually selected and the price negotiated (letting them think they'd probably make their money bank on financing and extended warranty), then and only then did I pull out my financing, and let them know they could attempt to beat my rate if they can. They tried and failed, so I went with my capital one loan instead of being put into the bad situation of taking whatever the dealer would give me.

Skip back to shopping, I really thought I was buying an import, starting with research into Toyota and Honda. I wanted to get a reliable smaller car with decent gas mileage, but it absolutely had to have a manual transmission. I learned on a manual, I prefer driving them, and I've been stuck on a damned automatic for 4 years.

I quickly learned that if you want a manual, you have 3 options: a big-assed truck, a stripped-down POS with no options, or a sporty car with almost every option.

The Honda dealer had nothing I wanted, and would not get the 2007 model for a month. Toyota had the stripped-down POS's mentioned above, and the test drive was uncomfortable.

OK then, time to have an open mind, nothing wrong with shopping a domestic car. I visited Mazda, they werent going to get the new Mazda 3's for a month. Tried Chevy, I didnt like the price, Consumer Reports hated the company, I didnt like the selection, didnt bother with a test drive. Finally, I noticed that Ford got the new 2007 Focus in, and they were introducing a new sport option for the model with manual transmission and all the options I'd ever want (and several I didnt). Consumer reports rated the older 2006 Focus as "average" for reliability, which for a domestic car is about as good as you can hope for against the imports.

In all of Central Iowa, only two of these cars were available in a dealership 20 miles north. Intrigued, I emailed the dealer asking for their offer, and they emailed back with $1,200 under MSRP and a $2,500 rebate. After researching the invoice and even keeping the holdback in mind, this looked like a very fair deal to me, so I didnt bother with haggling further. Within 3 days and 2 visits the paperwork was signed and I drove off with a pretty nice-looking black car. (Red was also available, identical in every other way, but I figured that color was a cop-magnet.)

No, I didnt take the extended warranty, though they certainly pushed it pretty hard.

MSRP $20,460, My price not counting tags, taxes, title, etc was $16,775 while using my own financing.

Moooo
08-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I got a new (for me) car this week.

Its a 98 Ford Taurus SE. I call it the "Ford Egg" cause there's not a straight line on it, inside or out.

I'm immensely happy with it. Its quiet, smooth as silk going down the road, has a good-sounding stereo, and cupholders that are well within reach of the driver. Plus the radio controls are big-buttoned so you can keep your eyes on the road.

YAY FORD, and YAY EGG!

As far as you getting screwed, you'll get mixed results. My dad can buy a brand new car for 300 over invoice, and that's what he's paid on all of his vehicles over the last 15 years. But sometimes he has to wait and sometimes he doesn't get the specific truck he was looking at on the lot. He says if you start wanting the vehicle, you'll start paying more.

In short, if you like it and its worth it to you, you got a good deal even if you paid MSRP.

Moooo

Frazod
08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Every day. Had the Mustang now for a year and a half. No problems. Still love it like the first day I got it.

burt
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM

Its a 98 Ford Taurus SE. I call it the "Ford Egg" cause there's not a straight line on it, inside or out.

I'm immensely happy with it. Its quiet, smooth as silk going down the road, has a good-sounding stereo, and cupholders that are well within reach of the driver. Plus the radio controls are big-buttoned so you can keep your eyes on the road.

YAY FORD, and YAY EGG!

As far as you getting screwed, you'll get mixed results. My dad can buy a brand new car for 300 over invoice, and that's what he's paid on all of his vehicles over the last 15 years. But sometimes he has to wait and sometimes he doesn't get the specific truck he was looking at on the lot. He says if you start wanting the vehicle, you'll start paying more.

In short, if you like it and its worth it to you, you got a good deal even if you paid MSRP.

Moooo

I sell Chevy's and the 98 Ford Taurus SE is not a bad ride at all. Congratulations!

Eleazar
08-23-2006, 10:40 PM
When the car was eventually selected and the price negotiated (letting them think they'd probably make their money bank on financing and extended warranty), then and only then did I pull out my financing, and let them know they could attempt to beat my rate if they can. They tried and failed, so I went with my capital one loan instead of being put into the bad situation of taking whatever the dealer would give me.

Good strategy, nice work avoiding the monthly payment/selling price/interest rate/term shell game.

burt
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Good strategy, nice work avoiding the monthly payment/selling price/interest rate/term shell game.

Yep, everyone is an expert.....I TELL my customers to check their financial institutions before we talk financing! :harumph:

luv
08-23-2006, 11:51 PM
I drive a 2000 Ford Contour SE. It will be paid off in April. There was a recall on it for the starter, and I had to have the fuel pump replaced (thank goodness it was still under warranty). Other than brakes, tires, and oil changes, she's been a good girl.

SBK
08-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Looks like you jumped the gun on financing.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Bad-credit-No-credit-Ford-doesn-t-care-with-new-0-72-loans-7883/

I'm sure 0% is less than you got, but no big deal, Ford is gonna have boatloads of repos pulling this crap out!

blueballs
08-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Faith won't return any
of my calls or emails

HemiEd
08-24-2006, 05:42 AM
I rented a 500 on a recent trip. Very nice ride, plenty of room. I was impressed to say the least.

Skip Towne
08-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Fix Or Repair Daily

greg63
08-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Fix Or Repair Daily

That is so true; I've been doing that for about a month now. I will never buy another Ford piece of junk again.

Brock
08-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I don't want to ruin your high.

jjjayb
08-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Fix Or Repair Daily

directv sucks. :p

Hoover
08-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Fu@king Old Rebuilt Dodge

ILChief
08-24-2006, 07:28 AM
asking for opinions on a Ford or GM is like asking your opinion on a Democrat or Republican politician. you'll get a love em or hate em response. FWIW, I've had a Mustang, an F150, and a Mountaineer and loved all of them.

Phobia
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
I should really get off the computer so I can go replace the starter in my F-350. But, it has 190k miles so I guess it's okay if some things break now and then.

Rain Man
08-24-2006, 08:12 AM

YAY FORD, and YAY EGG!

That's exactly the car that I have, and we've been very happy with it. We bought ours in 2000, and I liked the "egg" style much better than the style that came after it. It's been a very good and reliable car for us, and I really like the console with the cup holders. My only wish is that it had a little more stereo and a little less road noise on the highway, and electric locks. However, for the price I paid, I couldn't be happier with it.

MahiMike
08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Couple thoughts.

What was the rush? You said there was a couple that weren't in stock.
Why did you buy new? Your (American) car is now worth 20% less than sticker.
Did you consider a VW TDI? That baby gets 46 mpg and costs roughly what you paid for a Ford.

Personally I would never buy new. The dealers only have so much room on them and everyone has access to the invoice these days. Much better to buy 2 yrs old with all the options. But that's just me. I'm on my 30th vehicle since I was 15 and have never lost $ on a car.

dtebbe
08-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Looks like you jumped the gun on financing.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Bad-credit-No-credit-Ford-doesn-t-care-with-new-0-72-loans-7883/

I'm sure 0% is less than you got, but no big deal, Ford is gonna have boatloads of repos pulling this crap out!

Yes, but that $2500 rebate was probably in lieu of the 0% financing. Usually you can do the low rate financing or get a nice rebate.

I think he got a decent deal, especially considering he had new car fever.

I would have been looking for a low mile 2004 or 2005, but that's just me.

DT

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes, but that $2500 rebate was probably in lieu of the 0% financing. Usually you can do the low rate financing or get a nice rebate.

If you have a rebate contingent on taking dealer financing, why wouldn't you finance with the dealer to get the rebate, and then pay it off the next day with your own financing?

booyaf2
08-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I say go with a year or two old. I bought our explorer with 7k miles on it a year old, and it was 8k less than new. Bought our F-150 FX4 with 35k on it and it was 12k less than new. Trust me, I'd love to drive one off the showroom floor, but it just don't make sense to me. On the other hand, if you got the money, what the h3ll.

MahiMike
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
If you have a rebate contingent on taking dealer financing, why wouldn't you finance with the dealer to get the rebate, and then pay it off the next day with your own financing?

Pre-payment penalty.

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Pre-payment penalty.

Not all auto loans have them. I mean it would be worth looking into.

Phobia
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Not all auto loans have them. I mean it would be worth looking into.

You can bet those with "either or" financing/rebate do. Do you think you're smarter than all those rich bastards at the finance company?

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
You can bet those with "either or" financing/rebate do. Do you think you're smarter than all those rich bastards at the finance company?

Unfortunately not :sulk:

burt
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM

When GM has the 0% there is no prepaymen penalty, so I doubt there is with Ford. I can only only state what I absolutely know though!!!

Phobia
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
When GM has the 0% there is no prepaymen penalty, so I doubt there is with Ford. I can only only state what I absolutely know though!!!

When there is 0% OR a rebate, there's always a prepay penalty. Otherwise everybody in the country would be taking an extra $2500 off the prices of their cars by refi the next day. GMAC isn't stupid.

ILWarpaint
08-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I sell Ford's. 0.00% just announced is only on 2006's. The 2007 gets better fuel economy than the previos models. Focus is a good car. It was one of Car & Driver magazines "10 Best" for many years. The only problem I typically have with Focus is uneven tire wear. I definetly would recommend rotating the tires at every other oil change. Thanks for buying a Ford!

ChiefFan31
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Have you driven a Ford lately?

Your God Damn right I have.

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra :rockon:

luv
08-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Fix Or Repair Daily
I've also heard....Found On Road Dead.

Or, if you spell it backwards....Driver Returns On Foot.

I've driven three Fords and one Honda.

The only Ford I really had problems with was my '90 Tempo. Upside, I knew someone who also had one. He used to help fix mine whenever it was in need. He showed me everything he did either before or as he was working on it. I learned alot about cars (basics anyway) from him.

My favorite was the '93 Honda Accord, but I still don't mind Fords. I like my Contour.

Chief Chief
08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
To thoroughly answer the question posed in the thread title:

Yes, I have...it was early this morning...I truly enjoyed the smooth ride...and, no, her first name isn't Betty...

King_Chief_Fan
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/attach/bmp.gif

nothing wrong with a ford........ I happen to really like mine

vailpass
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
When American car makers put out a product that competes with the two foreign brands I own in terms of quality, reliability, performance, and value retention I will gladly buy American.

As it is now it just does not make sense to me to buy an inferior product even though I want to keep it red, white, and blue. Good on those of you who support American auto makers.

ILikeBigTiddys
08-24-2006, 12:13 PM
First On Race Day

vailpass
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
First On Race Day

Found On Redneck's Driveway

j/k

Chieftain58
08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I read Ford and GM were merging, anyone else heard this? Well actually I might have dreamt it... :) anyway with both companies in big trouble they might want to think about it........

Frosty
08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
When there is 0% OR a rebate, there's always a prepay penalty. Otherwise everybody in the country would be taking an extra $2500 off the prices of their cars by refi the next day. GMAC isn't stupid.

When I got my Silverado last year, I got a $2000 rebate for finacing with GMAC. I refinanced at a much lower rate the second I had an account number (about 10 days). No prepayment penalty or any problems at all and GMAC was cool through the whole process. I did have to pay about $100 in interest for those 10 days but it was a good trade-off.

The dealer kept telling me that I had to wait 90 days, but that was only for HIM to get the kickback from GMAC. Boohoo for him! :)

For the OP, the Focus is a good car; you should be happy with it.

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Fix Or Repair DailyThats the clean version Clyde, how bout F**ed Over Rebuilt Dodge.

I drove one this morning, it did the job, barely, as it always does.

stevieray
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
no.. have you driven a three on the tree lately?