PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: It’s high anxiety for Sims

keg in kc
08-24-2006, 02:07 AM
It’s high anxiety for Sims (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15345177.htm)

Chiefs defensive tackle, a former No. 1 pick, needs reassurance from Edwards about his job situation with the team.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star
Posted on Thu, Aug. 24, 2006

It was an animated conversation in the middle of an empty practice field, and it stretched on for more than five minutes. When Chiefs coach Herm Edwards finished talking and Ryan Sims finished listening Wednesday afternoon, both parties said everything was copacetic.

Whatever that means.

In these final, steamy days before the cuts and the Chiefs’ season opener, no one feels safe and nearly everyone wants to know where he stands. That’s where Sims was Wednesday when he approached Edwards after practice while a gaggle of reporters watched as the coach flailed his arms and Sims occasionally nodded.

“Players get worried, and they should,” Edwards said. “If you’re going to play in this league or coach in this league, you should always have some anxiety. I have anxiety every day I show up to work. I’ve had anxiety for 27 years in this league. Twenty-seven years. When I lose that anxiety, you’ll find me in Monterey.”

The defense has reason to be concerned. In two preseason games, the Chiefs’ first-teamers have seen the Texans and Giants drive at will against a unit that has been significantly upgraded.

For three years, Sims has been criticized as a draft bust, a No. 6 overall pick in 2002 who’s seemingly had as many chewing-out sessions as tackles. He showed up for summer workouts out of shape, then shuffled down the depth chart as newcomers Ron Edwards and James Reed took over the starting tackle jobs in the preseason.

It’s highly doubtful that Sims will be cut — the coaches like his talent and potential — and Edwards needs bodies in his rotating defensive line. He reminded Sims again Wednesday that no starting job is set.

“I thought it was a very positive conversation,” Sims said. “I had some fundamental questions.

“It’s up to us making plays, and right now we’re looking really terrible on defense.”

Sims obviously feels he’s picked on in the media. He was the subject of a publicized tongue-lashing this summer from defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. Down on one knee between plays, sucking wind, Sims prompted Cunningham to call him a pain in the backside.

Edwards said Wednesday that he isn’t worried about Sims’ conditioning now.

“I just worked,” Sims said. “I heard about some newspaper article that said I was out of shape, and I dropped 30 pounds in July.”

But consistency has long been an issue for Sims. Just when it looked as if he was evolving as a difference-maker last fall, Sims sprained his foot in the season opener against the Jets. He played in six games, had 11 tackles and did little to distinguish himself as a starter when Edwards came to Kansas City in January.

Edwards gave Sims at least two pieces of advice Wednesday: Keep playing hard, and don’t be a follower. He said it’s natural this time of year for players to fall into the woe-is-me trap.

“All players are this way,” he said. “You sit there and try to figure out what the coaches think, and you drive yourself crazy. You can’t do that. You’ve just got to practice every day and you’ve got to perform and don’t worry about that.

“If you’re performing well, you’ll be OK. When you start worrying about what the coach is thinking, most of the time it’s over nothing because the coaches aren’t even thinking about you right now. They’re thinking about other things.”

Sims, one of the last players to arrive in the locker room late Wednesday afternoon, twice skirted the question of whether he deserves to start. But he appreciates the lines of communication he has with Edwards, and said it’s “a lot better than I’ve had with a lot of other coaches.”

He doesn’t care that his latest conversation played out in front of the media.

“I just felt like I had to talk to him, and we got a good conversation in,” Sims said. “So it didn’t really matter if you guys were there or not.

“Herm is going to tell you what he feels and how he feels about you. I really appreciate that, and I’m glad he’s the type of guy I feel like I can talk to in front of the media or behind closed doors.”

CoMoChief
08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Why the **** did we draft him?

Moooo
08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
At least he felt like something was wrong and that they needed to talk.

Not to be rude, but I don't see this same article with Junior.

Moooo

Hammock Parties
08-24-2006, 02:33 AM
But he appreciates the lines of communication he has with Edwards, and said it’s “a lot better than I’ve had with a lot of other coaches.”

BEEP BEEP!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1110/vermeilbusqu3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

08-24-2006, 02:40 AM
BEEP BEEP!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1110/vermeilbusqu3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nice! ROFL

Moooo
08-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Nice! ROFL

:)

One thing I learned from this pic. Whoever said Sims weighs too much is crazy. Or at least he keeps it all in his head.

Moooo

chagrin
08-24-2006, 05:05 AM
I think it's comical how the guy does nothing for 3 years and goes to the coach saying that he need reassurance that he has a job. On the other hand it's also offensive as hell, bastard.

Otter
08-24-2006, 05:07 AM
BEEP BEEP!

That's pretty good.

Make the same picture but a black stretch limo with Peterson's Mug hanging out the back laughing and I'll buy it.

HemiEd
08-24-2006, 05:26 AM
BEEP BEEP!

Nice, it is getting a little tiring, the way many are throwing Dick under the bus.

Coach
08-24-2006, 05:57 AM
I figured that there'd be an article about Sims after what happened yesterday.

Simplex3
08-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Sims is a Todd Blackledge level bust. End of story. Cut him and move on. What is it about these snapperheads in the NFL keeping and drafting players with "potential"? How about we get the guys who are already PLAYERS?

ChiefsKing
08-24-2006, 06:20 AM
“I heard about some newspaper article that said I was out of shape, and I dropped 30 pounds in July.”

Just think, if that article hadn't been written he wouldn't have lost the weight.

the Talking Can
08-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I think it's comical how the guy does nothing for 3 years and goes to the coach saying that he need reassurance that he has a job. On the other hand it's also offensive as hell, bastard.

couldn't agree more

he should be begging for a job...worthless sack of shit

the Talking Can
08-24-2006, 06:52 AM
nice pic...except I'd have Gun driving it

ROYC75
08-24-2006, 07:09 AM
:eek: Sims cry'n afoul ? :eek: No way, no freaking way man.........

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Sounds like to me he's worried about a paycheck more than a place on this team and on the Dline. I don't think he minds being the backup as long as he's getting paid.

chagrin
08-24-2006, 07:15 AM
"You’ve just got to practice every day and you’ve got to perform and don’t worry about that."

That's hilarious

Hammock Parties
08-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Ryan Sims Has To Earn His Keep.

By Nook Assman

Ryan Sims and the Chiefs have yet to be a good fit together. Like most relationships, it takes time to develop chemistry, respect and an understanding of each other’s point of view. But after a recent discussion between Sims and head coach Herman Edwards, what happens next will clearly be based solely on performance.

After Wednesday’s morning practice, Sims and Edwards had a heart-to-heart talk. Afterwards, Edwards called it positive. Sims called it a clarification.

The bottom line is that it’s time for Sims to step up and show his teammates that he can play at a high level. He has the talent, and there might not be a nicer guy on the team. But sometimes, nice guys finish last.

I’ve been on the Sims bandwagon since last season. Nobody on the defense worked harder to get in shape than Sims in 2005. Many believed that he’d turned the corner.

But in the season opener against the New York Jets, Sims suffered a foot injury. All the momentum he had built up during the offseason died that afternoon.

To his credit, Sims bounced back and worked his tail off to return. Eventually, he did just that, and showed flashes of the kind of player many thought he’d be when he was drafted.

But now he faces an uphill battle. Not to make the roster, but rather to find the internal drive that will push him to win his position, rather than having it handed to him.

Sims clearly has talent, and though he has not lived up to expectations, his former coaching staff did not help.

Former defensive coordinator Greg Robinson never utilized Sims’ ability to penetrate the pocket. Under Robinson, Sims was often seen dropping back into zone coverage. How much sense does that make?

But Gunther Cunningham is running the show now. If this defense is going to take shape and fly right with the Tampa Two scheme, then Sims has to play a big role.

Edwards’ chat with Sims will motivate him to do one of two things. Sims will either take his place with the first team, or he will settle for being a backup behind a trio of less-talented defensive tackles.

It’s time for Sims to take charge. Edwards has given him that opportunity.

What Sims does with that opportunity remains to be seen. But if he wants to start on opening day, then Saturday night’s game against the St. Louis Rams could go a long way towards determining if he’ll be a leader or a follower.

htismaqe
08-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Looks like shane pegged it 100%.

Radar Chief
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Sims is a Todd Blackledge level bust. End of story. Cut him and move on. What is it about these snapperheads in the NFL keeping and drafting players with "potential"? How about we get the guys who are already PLAYERS?

Cause by the time they’re recognized as “players” they’ll cost a chit ton and be on the down side of their career.
Sims won’t be cut. If nothing else he’s at least a serviceable DT and we still need’im for the rotation.
Though, it wouldn’t bug me a bit if they’d at least rework that 1st round pick sized contract. He clearly hasn’t lived up to that.

MahiMike
08-24-2006, 08:13 AM
I love that movie. My favorite Mel Brooks movie.

morphius
08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
I heard Sims interview with Rhonda yesterday afternoon, and he seemed very nonchalant about the whole discussion with Herm. Sims really came off as completely unmoved by anything that was said. Of course that could be that he is just that way off the field, but he sounded bored and flat, for lack of a better description.

Of course being alone with Rhonda might cause the instinct to look for the fastest way to escape from anyone, so his mind might have been working on his exit stratigy.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I heard Sims interview with Rhonda yesterday afternoon, and he seemed very nonchalant about the whole discussion with Herm. Sims really came off as completely unmoved by anything that was said. Of course that could be that he is just that way off the field, but he sounded bored and flat, for lack of a better description.

Of course being alone with Rhonda might cause the instinct to look for the fastest way to escape from anyone, so his mind might have been working on his exit stratigy.

He seemed bored and flat because he was like, "Oh, man!! Herm?! You mean I have to work for this job?"

Mr. Laz
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
he should feel anxiety ... on any other defense he'd prolly get his ass cut.

RedThat
08-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Man, what a disappoinment :shake:

Sure-Oz
08-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Trezelle Jenkins of the defense, except wtf was TJ when he came out, atleast sims had a good college career, but figures he blows atleast right now. maybe he can pull a mark teahan, right...

Eleazar
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Sims keeping his job? Maybe we should fire up GERM warfare again!

Halfcan
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Simms=suckss

Ebolapox
08-24-2006, 11:50 AM
damn... it woulda been almost cool if minnisota HAD beaten us to the punch during the draft, they'd have taken sims (POS), and we would've been forced to take either roy williams (playmaking safety) or bryant 'mount' mckenzie...

Mr. Laz
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
damn... it woulda been almost cool if minnisota HAD beaten us to the punch during the draft, they'd have taken sims (POS), and we would've been forced to take either roy williams (playmaking safety) or bryant 'mount' mckenzie...
The joke was really on us!

:deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

Chief Henry
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I hope Sims understands that he needs to show up this season. Lets hope his pride is hurt and that
he bucks up and starts playing like a man instead of a pantywaste.

At some point in a mans life he has to understand that being respected by his peers is dam important. Lets hope Sims is at that point in his lfe RIGHT NOW.

StcChief
08-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Sims needs to have a Career year (play all 16 games) do better than avg for DT in NFL, if he has any hope
to play for more than vet min. at DT.

Even in rotation he must be solid and produce sacks, turnovers, stop the run., knock down some passes.

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Sounds like to me he's worried about a paycheck more than a place on this team and on the Dline. I don't think he minds being the backup as long as he's getting paid.He likes cashing those game checks.

Chieftain58
08-24-2006, 01:09 PM
He got his 10 million signing bonus he doesn't need to work now.

Smed1065
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
We should have invested that money in the lottery!

brent102fire
08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I hope Ryan understands that because he was the 6th overall pick, he is going to be a media target. Especially, when he has not lived up to expectations! I truly hope he has a breakout year and can manage to stay healthy. So far, I have not seen anything from him to make me believe he should be a starter. I hope he proves me wrong...I will gladly eat crow in exchange for some consistant sacks and tackles for losses. He has blown up backfields and had some good plays, but he just lacks the consistency for some reason... :shrug:

FloridaMan88
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Memo to Sims, if you didn't show up every offseason with Whitlock-sized man breasts and actually showed more commitment to your career then you wouldn't need to have any anxiety about losing your starting role.

Rausch
08-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Nice, it is getting a little tiring, the way many are throwing Dick under the bus.

I like DV but look at the results.

A horrible defense that still isn't fixed yet and a team that never appeared to try until it was almost or already out of the playoff race, with NO consistency...

Mr. Laz
08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Memo to Sims, if you didn't show up every offseason with Whitlock-sized man breasts and actually showed more commitment to your career then you wouldn't need to have any anxiety about losing your starting role.
dam straight...

.... that 320lb man-bitch has nobody to blame but himself. He's received every chance to succeed in KC.

Marcellus
08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't see the the whole throw Vermiel under the bus thing going on the way other people see it.

Vermiel NEVER fielded a decent defense. Why is it a suprise people are talking about Herm trying to fix Vermiel and companies mistakes?

It is a change in attitude from Vermiel's offense oriented teams to a more defensive focused team.

Gunther hasn't done much good yet but he hasn't had his coaches and been able to do things his way.(He may be doing them Herm's way now)

There is no doubt this is a make or break year for Gunther, he is on the hot seat, but the comments about changing the attitude from Vermiel's era on defense to Herm's attitude are completely legit.

Mr. Laz
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I .
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/5760/marcellasreynoldsofbugbrotherr.jpg

Fish
08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
It's starting to look like Sims is feeling sorry for himself... If that is the case, it's downhill from here....

Marcellus
08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/5760/marcellasreynoldsofbugbrotherr.jpg

They say that Marcus Claudius, who was five times consul of the Romans, was the son of Marcus; and that he was the first of his family called Marcellus; that is, martial, as Posidonius affirms. He was, indeed, by long experience, skilful in the art of war, of a strong body, valiant of hand, and by natural inclinations addicted to war. This high temper and heat he showed conspicuously in battle; in other respects he was modest and obliging.........

FloridaMan88
08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't see the the whole throw Vermiel under the bus thing going on the way other people see it.

Vermiel NEVER fielded a decent defense. Why is it a suprise people are talking about Herm trying to fix Vermiel and companies mistakes?

It is a change in attitude from Vermiel's offense oriented teams to a more defensive focused team.

Gunther hasn't done much good yet but he hasn't had his coaches and been able to do things his way.(He may be doing them Herm's way now)

There is no doubt this is a make or break year for Gunther, he is on the hot seat, but the comments about changing the attitude from Vermiel's era on defense to Herm's attitude are completely legit.

GoChiefs' graphic was dead on. Certain "fans" (using that term lightly) want to take the easy way out and just blame everything on Vermeil, overlooking the role Peterson and Gunther played in the defense's shortcomings

Inspector
08-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Just knowing that Sims has shown some real talent makes it even more frustrating.

Dang, Ryan, we know you can do it if you just try.

King_Chief_Fan
08-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Just knowing that Sims has shown some real talent makes it even more frustrating.

Dang, Ryan, we know you can do it if you just try.

we have seen so little of it that it really reminds me of the
saying, "you can't lay one-two bricks and call yourself a brick layer"

Amnorix
08-25-2006, 07:08 AM

err....it's really hard to find PLAYERS?

Seriously -- at the college level, alot of dominant players are freaks of nature, physically, which allows them to be great without that much effort.

Others put alot of effort into it, but don't have the measurables the NFL woudl like to see.

A guy who is a freak of nature and a very hard worker at the college level is practically non-existent. So who do you take? The hypothetical guy who is 6'5", 310 pounds and had 8 sacks, and 2 deflections, but never had to work for it? Will he STUDY tape in the NFL or just watch it? Is he coachable? Is he smart enough to understand the defense and read his keys?

Or do you take the hypothetical guy who is 6'2", 290, but works his tail off? The problem is you need a defensive tackle, and he'll be going up against one, maybe 2 guys who are heavier than him on nearly every play. He'll face wham blocks from tight ends, and will need to hold the line on runs. He's a workout warrior, but can he take the beating? He broke his leg his junior year, but recovered nicely when he was a senior. What does that mean?

Just for an example -- the Patriots got KILLED by many of the Boston sports press for drafting now All-Pro elite defensive lineman Richard Seymour. Why? Sure he had the size, but he had ONE sack as a senior at Georgia. Hell, he wasn't even necessarily the best player on the Georgia defensive line (Marcus Stroud).

And we took him SIXTH? We needed David Terrell, a terrific playmaking WR from Michigan (who was picked after Seymour at 7th).

So, was Seymour a PLAYER at Georgia? I assume so, but he only had one sack. You tell me.

htismaqe
08-25-2006, 08:56 AM
err....it's really hard to find PLAYERS?

Seriously -- at the college level, alot of dominant players are freaks of nature, physically, which allows them to be great without that much effort.

Others put alot of effort into it, but don't have the measurables the NFL woudl like to see.

A guy who is a freak of nature and a very hard worker at the college level is practically non-existent. So who do you take? The hypothetical guy who is 6'5", 310 pounds and had 8 sacks, and 2 deflections, but never had to work for it? Will he STUDY tape in the NFL or just watch it? Is he coachable? Is he smart enough to understand the defense and read his keys?

Or do you take the hypothetical guy who is 6'2", 290, but works his tail off? The problem is you need a defensive tackle, and he'll be going up against one, maybe 2 guys who are heavier than him on nearly every play. He'll face wham blocks from tight ends, and will need to hold the line on runs. He's a workout warrior, but can he take the beating? He broke his leg his junior year, but recovered nicely when he was a senior. What does that mean?

Just for an example -- the Patriots got KILLED by many of the Boston sports press for drafting now All-Pro elite defensive lineman Richard Seymour. Why? Sure he had the size, but he had ONE sack as a senior at Georgia. Hell, he wasn't even necessarily the best player on the Georgia defensive line (Marcus Stroud).

And we took him SIXTH? We needed David Terrell, a terrific playmaking WR from Michigan (who was picked after Seymour at 7th).

So, was Seymour a PLAYER at Georgia? I assume so, but he only had one sack. You tell me.

Excellent post.

The draft is a balancing act. We took Sims based on his measurables over his college production and it turns out we were DEAD wrong.

Now this season, we took Hali BECAUSE of his college production, even though his measurables aren't the best. And people still bitch about it.

Well, which do you want?

Chiefnj
08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Excellent post.

The draft is a balancing act. We took Sims based on his measurables over his college production and it turns out we were DEAD wrong.

Now this season, we took Hali BECAUSE of his college production, even though his measurables aren't the best. And people still bitch about it.

Well, which do you want?

Didn't Sims have good, solid, and improving stats in college? I don't think he had John Henderson's junior year stats, but I thought he was the most consistent and improving of the 4 big DT's that year. Also, by all reports Sims was a monster during senior bowl week against his peers.

People now make it seem like the only reason KC took Sims was because of Vermeil's link to Bunting but that is far from the truth. He was a highly regarded prospect. The Vikes wanted him and had him ranked as the #1 DT. In fact, when they missed out on him they didn't grab any Henderson or Haynesworth and went with an OT instead.

htismaqe
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Didn't Sims have good, solid, and improving stats in college? I don't think he had John Henderson's junior year stats, but I thought he was the most consistent and improving of the 4 big DT's that year. Also, by all reports Sims was a monster during senior bowl week against his peers.

People now make it seem like the only reason KC took Sims was because of Vermeil's link to Bunting but that is far from the truth. He was a highly regarded prospect. The Vikes wanted him and had him ranked as the #1 DT. In fact, when they missed out on him they didn't grab any Henderson or Haynesworth and went with an OT instead.

I'm not one of those people. We took Sims because most teams considered him the best DT on the board.

He had a solid (not spectacular) senior year, and a MONSTER game against FSU. Then he came out and caught on at the Senior Bowl, which vaulted him to the top of the list.

Mr. Laz
08-25-2006, 09:37 AM
And people still bitch about it

blah,blah,blah,blah

Smed1065
08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Must be nice to be lucky at the right time, suks for us.

Lzen
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Simms=suckss

So, you don't like Chris Simms? Who do you think the Buccaneers should start?

I also think Ryan Sims sucks.

greg63
08-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I've thought for a long time that Sims would rather be playing somewhere other than KC. He does nothing to stay in shape in the off season, and it's obvious that he cares nothing about trying to improve.

FloridaMan88
08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Excellent post.

Well, which do you want?

How about a nice balance between the two. You obviously don't want to draft a guy based only on his college production (otherwise Texas Tech QBs would be first round draft picks virtually every year), but when you are drafting based on potential you better have solid scouting evidence that the player will be able to (and has the work ethic and motivation) tap into that potential/realize his potential at the next level.

Logical
08-25-2006, 08:44 PM

Though I agree, DV deserves it for the way he overlooked the importance of some defense.

Logical
08-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Trezelle Jenkins of the defense, except wtf was TJ when he came out, atleast sims had a good college career, but figures he blows atleast right now. maybe he can pull a mark teahan, right...Trezelle was a bust before he ever practiced and he was at the end of the first round much more like a Junior Siavii bust. Bad comparison.

htismaqe
08-26-2006, 06:25 AM
How about a nice balance between the two. You obviously don't want to draft a guy based only on his college production (otherwise Texas Tech QBs would be first round draft picks virtually every year), but when you are drafting based on potential you better have solid scouting evidence that the player will be able to (and has the work ethic and motivation) tap into that potential/realize his potential at the next level.

Because, as Amnorix said, players that combine BOTH qualities are EXTREMELY rare...

htismaqe
08-26-2006, 06:25 AM
blah,blah,blah,blah

You respond that way because you wouldn't be able to respond otherwise. You know it's 100% true.

FloridaMan88
08-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Because, as Amnorix said, players that combine BOTH qualities are EXTREMELY rare...

True but when you are drafting high in the draft (like 6th overall) you have to be able to find that rare prospect.

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Trezelle was a bust before he ever practiced and he was at the end of the first round much more like a Junior Siavii bust. Bad comparison.

he's this generations Todd Blackledge bust.