PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Fantasy Football Leagues

luv
08-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Tell me about them. I know you can do an auto-pick where the computer selects players for you. You can start from there, then drop and add as you go. Is that a good way to go?

chagrin
08-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Luv, live draft is the best way
auto pick, you roll the dice. You might end up with Charlie Batch as your starter, Jerome Bettis as your RB. Not to mention you spend an hour or two ranking 200 players

Miles
08-26-2006, 12:11 AM
If you have never played before autodraft may not be bad. You will get some odd choices at times that will hurt you but you may also likely get a few good picks you may not have heard of.

You could probably make a half assed attempt to draft for yourself with just a few hours of research. Might be a little more fun that way.

luv
08-26-2006, 12:12 AM
If you have never played before autodraft may not be bad. You will get some odd choices at times that will hurt you but you may also likely get a few good picks you may not have heard of.

You could probably make a half assed attempt to draft for yourself with just a few hours of reaserch. Might be a little more fun that way.
I'm hoping to have a little help.

Miles
08-26-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm hoping to have a little help.

You can likely get a decent amount of help on here depending when your draft is. There are a lot of posters that play.

luv
08-26-2006, 12:19 AM
You can likely get a decent amount of help on here depending when your draft is. There are a lot of posters that play.
I have no clue. I'm nervous, never having done one before. I'm hoping to have a friend of mine here when I do mine. Otherwise, I'd be lost.

Moooo
08-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I have no clue. I'm nervous, never having done one before. I'm hoping to have a friend of mine here when I do mine. Otherwise, I'd be lost.

I'll help you out.

Now, does someone wanna tell me how to play fantasy football? Is there a good website that explains the importance of certain positions or the different styles?

Moooo

Nzoner
08-26-2006, 12:42 AM

No need to be nervous about a yahoo league,hell my mrs joined one last week and the dip with the 1st pick took Drew Bledsoe.

Just my .02 but 5 things to remember about drafting

1.KNOW YOUR LEAGUE SCORING--most important thing of all because it will determine your draft strategy.

2.Be aware of the bye weeks-make sure to draft fill ins with different bye weeks than your studs.
3.Save kickers and defenses for last
4.When drafting a stud runningback do your best to handcuff him(draft)his back-up.
5.Don't be a :homer:-be careful on loading up on players from the same team and DO NOT draft with your heart.

I probably take FF a bit too serious but I'm in 2 big money leagues and like I said the above is just my .02 Most of all have fun.

08-26-2006, 12:43 AM

Isn't it funny how playing fantasy football makes people nervous?

Don't sweat it Luv. Live is the best way if you are familiar with players around the league. Autodraft is not bad but definitly a crapshoot too. If it is just a for fun league, like most, try the live draft. You will enjoy it in the end.

Why does that sound so wrong. :)

luv
08-26-2006, 12:52 AM
No need to be nervous about a yahoo league,hell my mrs joined one last week and the dip with the 1st pick took Drew Bledsoe.

Just my .02 but 5 things to remember about drafting

1.KNOW YOUR LEAGUE SCORING--most important thing of all because it will determine your draft strategy.

2.Be aware of the bye weeks-make sure to draft fill ins with different bye weeks than your studs.
3.Save kickers and defenses for last
4.When drafting a stud runningback do your best to handcuff him(draft)his back-up.
5.Don't be a :homer:-be careful on loading up on players from the same team and DO NOT draft with your heart.

I probably take FF a bit too serious but I'm in 2 big money leagues and like I said the above is just my .02 Most of all have fun.
Actually, the whole reason for wanting to do one is to try to familiarize myself with other players and stats in general. I really think that trying to keep up with something like this will motivate me to try to learn more.

08-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Actually, the whole reason for wanting to do one is to try to familiarize myself with other players and stats in general. I really think that trying to keep up with something like this will motivate me to try to learn more.

You are exactly right. When I started playing FF 12 years ago, it really enhanced my understanding of the game and players. Made football even more enjoyable. Of course, there is nothing worse than cheering for a player on a team you hate.

I have T.O. I hate him but he produces points. Well, except for last year of course.

luv
08-26-2006, 01:01 AM
You are exactly right. When I started playing FF 12 years ago, it really enhanced my understanding of the game and players. Made football even more enjoyable. Of course, there is nothing worse than cheering for a player on a team you hate.

I have T.O. I hate him but he produces points. Well, except for last year of course.
So tell me about a live draft.

08-26-2006, 01:04 AM
So tell me about a live draft.

Basically, you are all online at the same time and select each pick in a pre-determined order. Most draft engines allow around 3 minutes to make a pick or it will pick for you.

Most drafts run in a snake or serpentine order. In other words the order would be ...

Owner 1
Owner 2
Owner 3

then

Owner 3
Owner 2
Owner 1

and so forth.

Nzoner
08-26-2006, 01:09 AM
After you get the hang of it then you start a local Springfield league with friends,maybe even for a few bucks,and have a real live draft with everyone present at a designated location.

Personally,I love draft night,ours is next Thursday here in the gameroom.

08-26-2006, 01:11 AM
After you get the hang of it then you start a local Springfield league with friends,maybe even for a few bucks,and have a real live draft with everyone present at a designated location.

Man, there is nothing quite like getting 12 owners together in a room for a live draft. You get to see the look on their face everytime you steal their pick. ROFL

luv
08-26-2006, 01:12 AM

My dad usually hosts a couple at his place. If I happen to be there, I stay upstairs out of the way. It's funny to hear them talk (and almost argue) back and forth.

A friend of mine at work had one at his place with some of his buddies last weekend.

Maybe next year, I'll brave acting like I know what I'm talking about in front of people. It's easy to fake it behind a keyboard. :)

Miles
08-26-2006, 01:13 AM

We kind of use it as an excuse to meet up in the same city for a good weekend. Though Im stuck with drafting on IM for the third year in a row.

My dad usually hosts a couple at his place. If I happen to be there, I stay upstairs out of the way. It's funny to hear them talk (and almost argue) back and forth.

A friend of mine at work had one at his place with some of his buddies last weekend.

Maybe next year, I'll brave acting like I know what I'm talking about in front of people. It's easy to fake it behind a keyboard. :)

she's a faker!!!! :rolleyes: :)

Nzoner
Man, there is nothing quite like getting 12 owners together in a room for a live draft. You get to see the look on their face everytime you steal their pick. ROFL

Or the league idiot who picks up a fantasy mag on his way to the draft and then proceeds to draft a player with a broken limb.

Miles
08-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Or the league idiot who picks up a fantasy mag on his way to the draft and then proceeds to draft a player with a broken limb.

My league has gotten fairly good about not doing that but im still expecting a few ones along those lines. My draft is tomorrow and I bet someone still takes Dominick Davis high.

luv
08-26-2006, 01:17 AM
I like the commercials that are on with the fantasy football draft hints. There's one about never taking advice from others that's funny. Also the one about knowing how to pronounce your picks. ROFL

Nzoner
08-26-2006, 01:18 AM
We kind of use it as an excuse to meet up in the same city for a good weekend. Though Im stuck with drafting on IM for the third year in a row.

Without a doubt,one of our owners moved to Florida this last year and I'm picking him up at the airport Wednesday.He's staying here so I'm looking forward to throwing more than a few back with him.

Nzoner
08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
My league has gotten fairly good about not doing that but im still expecting a few ones along those lines. My draft is tomorrow and I bet someone still takes Dominick Davis high.

The guy I was talking about lasted one season with our league.Like you our league is very competitive,while $130 isn't a huge entry it's enough to hopefully make sure you've done a little homework.

Miles
08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Anyone have a take on my first pick?

I have Portis for my keeper and have no 2nd for it. Best options in the first are maybe Manning falling and the more likely pick of Westbrook, Mcgahee or Steve Smith. Its a 12 team league with .5 PPR so I am kind of thinking about going with Westy but he has some injury issues.

Nzoner
08-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Anyone have a take on my first pick?

I have Portis for my keeper and have no 2nd for it. Best options in the first are maybe Manning falling and the more likely pick of Westbrook, Mcgahee or Steve Smith. Its a 12 team league with .5 PPR so I am kind of thinking about going with Westy but he has some injury issues.

With the Skins recent addition of Duckett,I think I'd be a little concerned about Portis having some injury issues.

Miles
08-26-2006, 01:32 AM
With the Skins recent addition of Duckett,I think I'd be a little concerned about Portis having some injury issues.

Defintly am. I locked in my keeper about a week ago and was very pissed when I heard about the Duckett news driving home from work. Its not all that bad since I only gave up my second but he was looking like a badass keeper for a second a few weeks ago.

Hound333
08-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't stress to hard over a public league. There must be a huge Chiefs fan in one of the ones im in. Picked Trent with the 3rd overall pick. Tony in the second round. Kennison in the 3rd and Tynes in the 5th lol

luv
08-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Okay, another question on something I heard. Do you start with a salary cap that you have to stay under when choosing players, or do you get to just pick whomever you want?

luv
08-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Here's a Chicks Pick ladies only league. I'm gonna sound dumb. What is a BN? Also, what's it mean to do an offline draft? Overall, does this look like a good league for a beginner like me?

Setting Value
League ID#: 121503
League Name: The Chicks Pick
Draft Type: Offline Draft
Max Teams: 10
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: November 17, 2006
Trade Review: Commissioner
Waiver Time: 2 days
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Playoffs: Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Sacks (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)