PDA

View Full Version : KC Star - five things to watch tonight

Hammock Parties
08-26-2006, 01:35 AM
5 things to keep in mind during tonight’s preseason game

DAVID EULITT | THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Are things really as bad as they looked last week?

Herm Edwards says no. After five years with the Jets, he’s discovered that there generally is no correlation between a winning preseason and a successful regular season. But Edwards understands how fans might panic after being shut out at New York, and he came close to promising that the Chiefs will look considerably better tonight. “I don’t panic,” he said. “I’ve done this for too long. If we weren’t practicing well and we weren’t doing the things that I see in practice, I’d be a little bit concerned.”

How much can Tamba Hali help?

Depends on how vanilla Edwards keeps the defense. The Chiefs played just two coverages against Houston and played one coverage 80 percent against the Giants. First-round pick Hali could finally help Kansas City put some heat on the quarterback, something that has been virtually nonexistent so far.

Will the real Chiefs offense please stand up?

After two preseason games, Edwards still hasn’t seen the high-flying offense that finished first in the NFL in 2004 and 2005. The first unit has accounted for just one touchdown, and the only thing that has really impressed Edwards was a 13-play, 71-yard touchdown drive in the first game against the Texans. With left guard Brian Waters back, and the starters playing longer, maybe things will change tonight.

Is everybody being too hard on Ryan Sims?

The former first-round draft pick had an animated conversation with Edwards this week after practice. Sims wanted to know where he stood, and he hopes it’s not with both feet pressed against the sideline. For at least two preseasons, Sims has believed that he’s ready to prove his detractors wrong. Tonight could be his first step.

Is Brodie Croyle the Chiefs’ QB of the future?

You won’t find that out tonight, but maybe the third-round pick from Alabama can do something that a backup quarterback in Kansas City hasn’t done in a while: successfully move the chains. This is Croyle’s first taste of the NFL after a shoulder injury in camp, and it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

chubychecker
08-26-2006, 01:37 AM
It will be nice to see Brodie

tk13
08-26-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm afraid we're going to show too much tonight just to look good. I know we could've looked better but we've been incredibly vanilla so far. I could really give a crap if everybody freaks out, we're a veteran team, I want us to be ready with surprises week 1, not tonight. Everybody forgot about the preseason last year the minute we went out and stomped the Jets.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2006, 02:06 AM
I agree. I trust Herm not to give in. If they want to show something, just blitz and play alot of man coverage.

Logical
08-26-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm afraid we're going to show too much tonight just to look good. I know we could've looked better but we've been incredibly vanilla so far. I could really give a crap if everybody freaks out, we're a veteran team, I want us to be ready with surprises week 1, not tonight. Everybody forgot about the preseason last year the minute we went out and stomped the Jets.

I tend to disagree, you have to play some real game action with your real offense and defense to give them confidence, veteran team or not. There is a reason college teams start off with patty cake games if possible.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2006, 02:51 AM
I think we need to run our regular offense more in the preseason. Us being vanilla is the reason we start off slow at the beginning of the season, IMO. The same goes with the defense, IMO.

jspchief
08-26-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm afraid we're going to show too much tonight just to look good. I know we could've looked better but we've been incredibly vanilla so far. I could really give a crap if everybody freaks out, we're a veteran team, I want us to be ready with surprises week 1, not tonight. Everybody forgot about the preseason last year the minute we went out and stomped the Jets.I want this team to win regular season games by execution, not surprise.

After week 1, the surprises start running out in a hurry. Let the guys gain experience and confidence running plays that they will use in real game situations.

htismaqe
08-26-2006, 06:30 AM
I want this team to win regular season games by execution, not surprise.

After week 1, the surprises start running out in a hurry. Let the guys gain experience and confidence running plays that they will use in real game situations.

Yep.

milkman
08-26-2006, 07:10 AM
The former first-round draft pick had an animated conversation with Edwards this week after practice. Sims wanted to know where he stood, and he hopes it’s not with both feet pressed against the sideline. For at least two preseasons, Sims has believed that he’s ready to prove his detractors wrong. Tonight could be his first step.

Talk is cheap.

If he's ready to prove his detractors wrong, then prove it.
He ain't doing that by being lazy and getting demoted to 2nd team.

He ain't doing that by playing like he has this preseason thus far.

Skip Towne
08-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Who has the TV coverage for this game? I don't see it on my schedule.

Bob Dole
08-26-2006, 07:38 AM

Of course the jackasses at the NFL Network aren't rebroadcasting the thing until Bob Dole is sitting in a hotel room in Denton.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/schedule/0828

StcChief
08-26-2006, 08:00 AM
OK....how about can Ty Law,Patrick Surtain
hold Torry Holt/Issac Bruce in check.

Bowser
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM
We aren't going to see much of anything tonight. We play the Rams later in the regular season, so both teams will stay pretty basic.

Probably be a pretty boring game, with us losing by 10 or so. Meltdown ensues.

patteeu
08-26-2006, 09:13 AM

But tonight's game is for the Governor's Cup!

StcChief
08-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Shows network schedule for any market plug in your zipcode
titantv.com

Bowser
08-26-2006, 09:15 AM
But tonight's game is for the Governor's Cup!

Minus the governor.

We should re-name it "The Party Cove Cup", or something.

patteeu
08-26-2006, 09:19 AM
OK....how about can Ty Law,Patrick Surtain
hold Torry Holt/Issac Bruce in check.

I think William Bartee will hold Torry Holt to 0 receptions tonight.

milkman
08-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Minus the governor.

We should re-name it "The Party Cove Cup", or something.

The Show Me Cup?