PDA

View Full Version : We could have drafted Wroten

chief2000
08-26-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/926B6B712E1B67ED862571CE000E0CA8?OpenDocument

He got injured though.

Hootie
08-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Good thread.

Mr. Laz
08-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Good thread.
and your homo input just made it so much better.

Hootie
08-26-2006, 02:59 PM
and your homo input just made it so much better.
and your reply to my homo input just made it a lot better than it was after I replied the first time!

Mr. Laz
08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Rams Notebook: Wroten's progress gives Linehan a lift

By Bill Coats
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/18/2006

Scott Linehan bounded off the field Wednesday night at Rams Park brimming with enthusiasm and chatter. The last two-practice day of training camp was complete, and he was eager to dive into final planning for Saturday night's exhibition game vs. Houston.

The Rams' first-year head coach also was buoyed by the steady progress of several young players. Included in that group is defensive tackle Claude Wroten, who, Linehan stressed, had taken major strides in practice since the first exhibition contest, a 19-17 win over Indianapolis on Aug. 10.

"He's had his best four or five days," Linehan said. "His improvement from the (Colts) game to where he's playing now has been a highlight."

Wroten got plenty of snaps against the Colts and said he "felt pretty good" after his first NFL action. But he acknowledged that he focused too much on attempting to track down the quarterback.

"I was in pass-rush mode all the time ... trying to make plays I wasn't supposed to make," Wroten said. "I was trying to do too much, jumping out of my gap and things like that. (The coaches) told me to just calm down, do your job, and you'll be all right."

An interior lineman who can pressure the passer is a valued commodity, and that's what Wroten did best at Louisiana State. In two seasons, he rolled up 12 sacks and 34 quarterback pressures. An All-Southeastern Conference selection after his senior season, he figured to command a first-round spot in the draft.

But that was before he failed a drug test at the NFL scouting combine in February. That occurred just a month after he was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, a charge that subsequently was dropped.

Teams shied away from Wroten, and the Rams nabbed him in the third round (No. 68 overall). Wroten understands why he dropped, but he's also determined to prove that those who slighted him made a mistake.

"I'm very much motivated by that," he said. "I should've been a first-round draft pick, but I wasn't for a reason. But that's totally behind me. I'm moving on, and I'm ready to prove that some guys passed on a good guy in the draft."

Wroten (6 feet 2, 295 pounds) has had no problems in camp, other than struggling with the shift to pro football, a challenge for all rookies. Thus, Linehan's delight over his recent surge.

For now, Wroten is backing up veteran La'Roi Glover, who also is serving as a tutor for the 22-year-old from Bastrop, La.

"La'Roi is teaching me a lot of good things: pass-rush moves, running techniques, all kinds of stuff," Wroten said. "Hey, he's a Pro Bowler and has been (in the league) for over a decade. He's a good guy to learn from."

Setback for Hedgecock

The ankle injury that has kept fullback Madison Hedgecock sidelined for most of the past 10 days is more serious than originally thought. It has been diagnosed as a high-ankle sprain and, Linehan said, could keep Hedgecock out for two to six weeks.

"I had a little pain in the lower part, and that was from the bones being bruised," Hedgecock said, explaining the initial confusion. "I kept trying to come back too early and kept reinjuring it. That kind of set me back. I just need to take my time with it and get it 100 percent healthy."

Fish
08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
You could play the "could have" drafted game all day and put together a team of pro-bowlers....

It's pointless, as is this post.....

ChiefsCountry
08-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Nope he was one of the two guys who failed the drug test at the combine.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
and your reply to my homo input just made it a lot better than it was after I replied the first time!And... SCENE!

Calcountry
08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
and your reply to my homo input just made it a lot better than it was after I replied the first time!http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=21506&stc=1

....so far, do I need to read any farther?

Bugeater
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Coulda woulda shoulda but didn'ta.

chief2000
08-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Nope he was one of the two guys who failed the drug test at the combine.

Marijuana is not a drug.

Alcohol is stronger.

chief52
08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Marijuana is not a drug.

Alcohol is stronger.

Guess you have not tried any Humboldt Homegrown... :bong:

chief2000
08-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Tell me about it.

Skip Towne
08-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Marijuana is not a drug.

Alcohol is stronger.
The state of Kansas thinks it is a narcotic.

Calcountry
08-26-2006, 04:44 PM
The state of Kansas thinks it is a narcotic.Looks like you have a new Clevis hitch there Skip.

Mr. Laz
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Rams DT Claude Wroten suspended for violating substance abuse policy

September 11, 2007

NEW YORK (AP -- St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten was suspended Tuesday without pay for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Wroten's suspension begins immediately and he will be eligible to return to the team on Oct. 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
The second-year player out of LSU, a third-round draft pick in 2006, made no tackles in Sunday's loss to Carolina.

As a rookie, Wroten played in 15 games and made 11 tackles with one sack.

Projected as a likely first-round draft pick in '06, Wroten's stock fell when in January of that year, he was stopped for speeding. Police found marijuana in the car, and Wroten was arrested for possession with intent to distribute.

The charge was dropped, but he also failed a drug test at the NFL combine.

In July, Wroten had more off-field issues when he was arrested on one count of simple criminal damage as a result of a dispute with his former girlfriend.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Rams DT Claude Wroten suspended for violating substance abuse policy

September 11, 2007

NEW YORK (AP -- St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten was suspended Tuesday without pay for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Wroten's suspension begins immediately and he will be eligible to return to the team on Oct. 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
The second-year player out of LSU, a third-round draft pick in 2006, made no tackles in Sunday's loss to Carolina.

As a rookie, Wroten played in 15 games and made 11 tackles with one sack.

Projected as a likely first-round draft pick in '06, Wroten's stock fell when in January of that year, he was stopped for speeding. Police found marijuana in the car, and Wroten was arrested for possession with intent to distribute.

The charge was dropped, but he also failed a drug test at the NFL combine.

In July, Wroten had more off-field issues when he was arrested on one count of simple criminal damage as a result of a dispute with his former girlfriend.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PTumm excuse me i don't know wtf u r thinkin but marijuana is not a substance