PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mobile-friendly (WAP) version of vbulletin/CP?

jAZ
08-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Just got a treo and it surfs the net well enough, but it's kinda slow with graphic intensive sites (suprisingly CP is seems to be the worst I've encountered even though much is text... we use a lot of graphical images on each page).

I've seen other vB websites that have an all-text version (not just "At Work"). Do we have a way to access a similarly stripped down version? Or do we need to install a mod for that ability?

morphius
08-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Nope, but I will take it as a to-do item when someone actually finishes the upgrade...

DaFace
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Dammit Kyle!! :cuss:

That'll be my new favorite phrase until the upgrade gets done. :D

jAZ
08-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Nope, but I will take it as a to-do item when someone actually finishes the upgrade...
How many new versions of vb have come and gone since Kyle started that upgrade (2 seasons ago?)?

morphius
08-26-2006, 05:50 PM
How many new versions of vb have come and gone since Kyle started that upgrade (2 seasons ago?)?
I did the templates a couple months back.

jAZ
08-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I did the templates a couple months back.
I'm thinking about the time that Kyle first made public his plan to upgrade to the new vB. I think he had already purchased the latest version at that time, and he was going to install it after the season (I think it must have been after the 2003 season). We have mods that had to be re-installed or something, so it was going to be a project.

It was a project that he never ended up having time for, and in the mean time, I'm pretty sure they've released maybe 2 newer (than the one he bought and didn't use) versions.

SLAG
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
try opera mini and the at work mode..

it works quite well on my Motorola i580

http://mini.opera.com

hypersensitiveZO6
08-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I've got a 650 and I've noticed that.

You can type in the thread title, but the text box just says "undefined"

morphius
08-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking about the time that Kyle first made public his plan to upgrade to the new vB. I think he had already purchased the latest version at that time, and he was going to install it after the season (I think it must have been after the 2003 season). We have mods that had to be re-installed or something, so it was going to be a project.

It was a project that he never ended up having time for, and in the mean time, I'm pretty sure they've released maybe 2 newer (than the one he bought and didn't use) versions.
If you buy vB you can upgrade it for free. I have the new version running on here now, a couple people have even seen it...

jAZ
08-26-2006, 11:11 PM
If you buy vB you can upgrade it for free. I have the new version running on here now, a couple people have even seen it...
Cool... I didn't understand that. At least he didn't get suck wasting money on a version that was never launched live.

Are you doing the install for the new one here? I remember when Phil was leading the site upgrade effort the vB upgrade was under the lock-and-key of Kyle. We were just toying with the things that didn't require account admin access (but rather vB admin access).

The newer vB sites I've seen with AJAX look (and seem to perform) much better.

Speaking of which, I was wondering if there was a mod available (or feature in a newer version of vB) that would allow an admin to turn the whole site into the at-work (or super-stripped down) mode for when the site gets a big load (draft, playoffs, etc).