PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson's running revolution

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 01:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15348287.htm

Larry Johnson's running revolution

Even with all his success last season, Chiefs back still manages to fan the flames burning inside him.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Larry Johnson waits on the sideline, a knee planted in the grass and a helmet pressed against his side. He’s a finely-toned statue, brooding, watching, blankly staring. Everyone always wants to know what is churning underneath that helmet, what makes Larry so scary.

Do not look here, under the puffy white clouds, in the corner of the end zone on an innocent August day in training camp. This is not Larry Johnson.

He’s sitting in a giant room, alone, one headphone over an ear, the other stuck to the top of his head. The Doors are on his iPod because Jim Morrison was off the wall and unpredictable and stayed true to himself. In his head, you don’t want to know what he’s thinking: The Chiefs are resting their sudden superstar, and LJ is slowly dying.

“I play the game with all the chips on the table,” Johnson says. “I know the situation we’re in. It’s a business, and we’ve got to keep me healthy. But damn, I love to play. I want to play the whole damn game. That mindset, I can’t let go because I’m not used to being the man. I’m always used to having to work, work, work.”

He stops, head down. He rarely makes eye contact.

In the hours before the start of the Herm Edwards era, Johnson stands alone, the club’s unfranchised franchise, the running back chasing history with his head slightly turned back. He can’t stop looking behind him, not after the Pro Bowl, the 1,750 yards and the fantasy-stud status.

He feels the feet closing in and the hand waiting to swat it all away.

This is how you know the fire still burns in Johnson, that the angry young running back is still feeling slighted. He keeps things tattooed in his brain for years. He recalls verbatim how Dick Vermeil told him he wouldn’t break 50-yard runs in the NFL, how for 2 1/2 years, he wasn’t considered good enough to be the Chiefs starter.

He’s asked about Michael Bennett, a recent acquisition for depth, and Johnson is positive Bennett was brought in to take away his job.

“I know he ain’t here just to be a backup,” Johnson says.

Nobody wants to be the backup.

•••

Carl Peterson is sitting at a burger joint near downtown River Falls, and in a small border town in Wisconsin, nobody recognizes him as the GM who plucked Johnson as the 27th pick of the 2003 draft. He tells LJ they will be forever linked, good or bad, because that’s the way it is with general managers and first-round draft picks.

He knows their relationship is closer than that. Every couple of weeks, when Johnson was frustrated, tired of backing up Priest Holmes and even Derrick Blaylock, Peterson always assured him: Your time will come.

Allies come in strange places. In 2004, Johnson immediately found one in defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. Johnson helped his defense game-plan on the scout team; Cunningham offered an open door when LJ disconnected from Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders.

“He’d always come in and say, ‘Hey, if I was head coach, you’d be running the ball 40 or 60 times a game,’ ” Johnson says. “We had a connection where we understood each other. I’ll never forget the relationship we had when I was kind of down in the dumps.”

Cunningham had been fired in 2000 as the Chiefs’ head coach, and in some ways, they were both misfits. Castoffs. Johnson’s story had been well-documented by then — benched in high school, backup in college, exploded his senior season, still found his way near the bottom of the first round.

Johnson never needed somebody in Kansas City to believe in him. His father, Larry Sr., a defensive coach at Penn State, did that. But Johnson liked that Cunningham talked to him about something besides football.

During warm-ups before each game, Johnson hugs Cunningham and says, “I love you.”

“I’m the type of person,” Johnson says, “who can pretty much see through bullshit quickly.”

Johnson’s anti-establishment façade was quickly torn down in January with the hiring of head coach Herm Edwards. In one of his first days on the job, he called Johnson into his office and told him he’d be the starter heading into training camp. He also asked him to be on his team leadership board.

It seemed like an odd role at the time, a 26-year old running back who spent his first years grousing over playing time and whose public persona was perceived as standoffish. They just didn’t know LJ, Edwards says.

Johnson pops in at Edwards’ charity bowling event, wearing a Kansas City Royals hat, catering to every fan.

“He’s sometimes looked upon a little differently by people,” Edwards says. “But when you know him and sit down and talk to him, he’s got a great heart. And he cares. He cares about kids, he cares about people.

“He’s been in a situation where you have to earn his trust, and once he trusts you, you’ve got a friend for life.”

•••

Johnson wants to clear something up about trust and friendships. He has both of them. He cringes at a cover story in a national magazine that portrays him as a loner. Yes, he hates talking on the phone. No, he doesn’t keep many people within arm’s length outside of his teammates.

His closest confidant is probably his brother, Tony. They share a house, and LJ did most of the decorating, a bachelor’s pad-meets-70s style-meets jazz. Johnson, Tony says, gets his sense of style from a love of art. Ever since he was a kid, he’s done sketches. He draws himself now, in football pads, running downfield, stomping somebody.

Tony played football with his brother at Penn State, so he can explain the trust issue better than anybody. As a coach’s kid, they always heard the whispers that they wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for Daddy. His first three years of college, Larry would run 15 yards and look for somebody to hit downfield.

“I’d hear it numerous times,” Tony says. “ ‘Golly, what’s wrong with your brother today?’ Man, that’s just LJ. It’s just his way of explaining how to play football.”

Old-school to the core, he decorates his house with prints of Billie Holiday and Charlie Parker. He’s fascinated by artists who can cross over to fashion. His hippest celebrity friend is rap star Jay-Z, whose athletic apparel line, Team Roc, signed Johnson to an endorsement contract.

Jay-Z seems mainstream, the antithesis of the multilayered Johnson, who listens to “U Don’t Know” before every game.

Put me anywhere on God’s green earth, I’ll triple my worth,

(Expletive), I, will, not, lose.

He poses for photos in T-shirts that rankle readers. Last fall, he brooded for a pic wearing Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara on his chest.

“I love revolutionary people because they go against the grain,” he says.

“Martin Luther King went against the grain, Malcolm X went against the grain. They were never the richest people in the world. If you can control people’s hearts and minds and have them follow your beliefs and have them believe in you, money doesn’t mean much.”

•••

There is a debate on the exact moment Larry Johnson arrived in the NFL. Tony says it was at Tennessee on “Monday Night Football” in December 2004. Johnson scored two touchdowns, broke runs of 46 and 41 yards, and eventually found his way back to the bench in 2005 when Holmes returned from a knee injury.

Scratch that, Tony says. It had to be Oakland. Because so much happened after that game — Vermeil retiring, Holmes going on injured reserve, the Chiefs failing to make the playoffs at 10-6 — Oakland is forgotten.

Five seconds left, the Chiefs down by three, and Vermeil decides to go for the win, not the tie. Holmes was always money in these situations. Johnson gets the handoff at the 1, leaps high in the air, plunges over the pile and into the end zone.

Larry Sr. asks him what he was thinking on that play, and LJ says he wasn’t.

“I just knew I had to jump,” he says.

And you didn’t even look down?

There was no time to look anywhere.

“I told LJ, ‘Thank God you made it,’ ” Tony says. “ ‘If you would not have gotten into the end zone, I think all of Kansas City would’ve been calling for your head.’ ”

•••

From a spot not too far away in Minnesota, Bennett watched Larry Johnson tear up the NFL in the final nine games of the season. First came Oakland, the first game without Holmes, then Johnson put up a club-record 211 yards at Houston.

“How could you miss it?” Bennett says. “I mean, it’s all over ESPN and everything.”

If Johnson had kept up his end-of-season pace through all 16 games, he was projected to finish with 2,400 yards. But who’s done that? Nobody.

Every game, every “SportsCenter” highlight, Johnson was finding new ways to find a slight. Sure, he had more yards than LaDainian Tomlinson. But they’ll say Johnson can’t do it over a whole season …

“People expect me to perform and be productive, and I just tense up all the time because I know if I don’t do it one game, it’s going to be, ‘Oh, see, he can’t do it,’ ” Johnson says. “I know that’s coming. There may be games that I may not rush for 100 yards. But I know in the back of my mind, I’m trying to force that not to happen.”

People close to Johnson — OK, on the periphery — say he isn’t talking about 2,000 yards. But each time a national scribe drifts in, it’s bound to be brought up. They say it will be harder now, with left tackle Willie Roaf gone and fullback Tony Richardson in Minnesota.

Arms folded, T-shirt stained, 2,000 seems distant for LJ now. Edwards knows his offense will be built around his 6-foot-1, 230-pound bruiser, and he won’t risk getting him hurt. Johnson has never had a camp like this — one so anticipated, yet disappointingly docile. He cuts through a pile, relatively untouched, then sprints 40 yards downfield.

He tosses the football back and reverts to his corner and the knee. There’s no drama, no chasing Priest, no murmurs of a possible trade. No hitting.

In their heart-to-hearts in the upper-level offices at Arrowhead Stadium, Peterson has told Johnson if he wasn’t a running back, he’d make a hellacious linebacker.

“You don’t want running backs often to seek contact,” Peterson says, “but he will do that. When people said, ‘He can’t pass protect’ … Well, wait a minute. He has no fear. If he can’t pass protect, that’s our job to teach him. He’s a tough guy.

“I think, I certainly hope, he’s going to run the same way, with a great passion. I’m as proud of him as any player I’ve ever been around.”

•••

John Riggins answers his phone somewhere on the East Coast, and he’s confused. He doesn’t think he was an angry runner. He doesn’t know what an angry runner is.

Riggins’ relentless image crackles on old-school film, running over linebackers, disregarding tacklers. Something, surely, was burning, a coach who told him he couldn’t play, a critic who said he couldn’t make the Hall of Fame.

“I was scared,” Riggins says. “If anything, I was a scared runner.”

The NFL is about preservation. And when the hits start to pile up and the body gets sore, reckless abandon fades. Jim Brown ran through people, too, but his career lasted less than a decade. On the field, Riggins had only one thing on his mind — finding daylight, avoiding the pursuit.

He doesn’t know if Johnson can live off anger forever.

“Fear is one motivational tool,” he says. “Anger is another one. Both kind of feed off one another. Chances are if you’re attacked by a bear and are as scared as hell, if at some point you think you’re going to die, you’ll get angry and fight back.”

Dante Hall understands what it’s like to be a disgruntled young rookie who, in the eyes of a community, didn’t belong. Hall used to give him a list of do’s and don’ts, and at the top of the list was don’t gripe to the media. Johnson did it anyway.

When Hall touches the ball now, he thinks of his son. And if Johnson runs out of things to be angry about, “He’ll make something up.”

Hall wonders if his friend can sustain a career-long rant.

“It’ll be hard,” he says. “With success comes a lot of good things. People like you, people want to give you this … It’s going to be hard.”

•••

In the early days of February, it was rumored that Larry Johnson cracked a smile. He’d earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl, his entire team stood up and applauded weeks earlier, and Johnson bought his family tickets to Honolulu.

He ran into Tomlinson, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick. He gushed that the players he watched in college were watching him.

Tony told him, “Yeah, I know, LJ. You’re a star, too.”

Some days, his brother says, Johnson forgets who he is. He’s still that 16-year-old kid, holding the helmet, waiting for acknowledgement.

Johnson wonders if he alienated people at Penn State. It’s not that he didn’t want friends. He just figured many of them were doubting enemies.

Here, he says he’d do anything for his teammates. He hangs out with Hall. Richardson, who’s gone, was like a big brother. The thing about being elite is that somehow, you’re alone. Brown retired at the top, at 30, and nobody understood.

Johnson has everything now, the spotlight, the love, the starting job. And nobody can understand why he’s still angry.

“People say, ‘You should be happy. You should smile, you should be grateful, you’re one of the best,’ ” Johnson says. “But until I hear 450 times on TV that I’m the best and nobody else is above me, that’s when I’ll smile. That’s when I’ll have fun.”

He stops himself.

“Probably not. But that’s when I’ll have enough to be at ease with where I’m at in my position.”

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 01:53 AM
What a divided team we were under Vermeil. LJ and Gunther forming secret alliances. ROFL

ZootedGranny
08-27-2006, 02:02 AM
When Hall touches the ball now, he thinks of his son. And if Johnson runs out of things to be angry about, “He’ll make something up.”

He’s asked about Michael Bennett, a recent acquisition for depth, and Johnson is positive Bennett was brought in to take away his job.

“I know he ain’t here just to be a backup,” Johnson says.

Anyways, LJ was running with the same hatred this year that he was last year. Look at his 12 yard run, and then look at his TD run. He wouldn't be stopped, and after the play he let whoever he ran over know.

Hootie
08-27-2006, 02:10 AM
GoChiefs, I'm going to beat the shit out of you.

Halfcan
08-27-2006, 02:10 AM
"I love you Gun!" LJ said with slight tear trickling down his cheek.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 02:13 AM
GoChiefs, I'm going to beat the shit out of you.

Sorry, I checked for a repost. Was this already posted?

tk13
08-27-2006, 02:18 AM
No wonder this team never succeeds. Sure seems like some of the rumors you read about everybody stabbing each other in the back at Arrowhead are true. Gunther was hired in 2004, and he was already telling Johnson he was being used wrong? From that and all the other comments, I don't think Gun and Vermeil were ever the same page. Neither was Carl. Makes me think we totally wasted the last two years of great offense, while Carl and Gun were pulling the strings the whole time. Yeah I liked Vermeil, but we'd been better off firing Vermeil two years ago, and making Gun the head coach again the way this organization was ran. Seems like nobody was happy. It's stupid when you think about it... Carl stayed with a offensive coach when he wanted more defense, Vermeil stayed with this team and his players when it seems like nobody else in the front office respected him, and Gun came crawling back here to work under a coaching staff for two years he apparently didn't believe in at all. How messed up is that?

Heck it sounds like Gun was almost a co-head coach anyway. Gun sucked up to our best player and had complete power to make all these defensive pickups from his "list". It's probably amazing we won 10 games last year. I wonder how much input Gun has had in all these coaching decisions, FA's, draft picks, etc.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 02:28 AM
Very true, tk. Gunther even went so far as to act a bit like a co-head coach on the sidelines last year. It does seem to me that he is content with his role on the team this year. Herm has preached about everyone working together. I hope we've finally got that.

tk13
08-27-2006, 02:38 AM
Yeah, that's a good point about being on the sidelines. I can see why Herm and Gretz and all them talk about being a "team". What I don't understand... is why Gun came back here and turned down other jobs, when he didn't seem to like Vermeil, any of the other defensive coaches, or anything else about this organization except for Carl. Why on earth did he come back?

It also makes it pretty obvious to why Vermeil retired even though we were a 10-6 team, and he always said he wasn't going to retire if we were "close". I guess in the end he did see the writing on the wall and was the one who did something about it. It's bizarre to begin with because Vermeil was kinda hired behind Gun's back, then Gun came back and undercut Vermeil, and I imagine it's hard not to resent a coach you were fired for, and then having to work under him. I don't know how that's supposed to work, Carl planned that one out real well.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 02:41 AM
The most pathetic thing is that Gunther made a big show of him being buddy-buddy with Vermeil. It seems like lip service to me. Maybe the guy is just bipolar.

And Gunther came back because he loves this place.

the Talking Can
08-27-2006, 02:49 AM
“He’d always come in and say, ‘Hey, if I was head coach, you’d be running the ball 40 or 60 times a game,’ ” Johnson says. “We had a connection where we understood each other. I’ll never forget the relationship we had when I was kind of down in the dumps.”
--------------

wow....Gunther is a backstabbing asshole....no wonder he came crawling back to KC to lick CP's boots....****ing asshole

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Someone should seriously write some fanfiction about this. Gunther and LJ in long, dark overcoats and sunglasses, meeting in dark alleys at night.

"Did you bring Priest's knee ligaments?"

"Yeah. You'll be starting next year for sure."

"What are we going to do about Dick?

"I'm moving down to the sidelindes under the facade that I can manage the defense better if I'm down there. I'll patch into the radio connection into Green's helmet and change the playcalls. We'll run you 300 times in the second half of the season."

the Talking Can
08-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Gunther is full of shit.

Undermining the head coach, the starting RB, and the offense....just in the fantastic hope that being friends with LJ might get him the HC gig once DV was finally sabatoged.

What a shitbag.

CupidStunt
08-27-2006, 05:06 AM
Someone should seriously write some fanfiction about this. Gunther and LJ in long, dark overcoats and sunglasses, meeting in dark alleys at night.

"Did you bring Priest's knee ligaments?"

"Yeah. You'll be starting next year for sure."

"What are we going to do about Dick?

"I'm moving down to the sidelindes under the facade that I can manage the defense better if I'm down there. I'll patch into the radio connection into Green's helmet and change the playcalls. We'll run you 300 times in the second half of the season."

ROFL

penchief
08-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Aside from the Gunther stuff, that was a pretty decent article about LJ.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-27-2006, 06:05 AM
a defensive coordinator who hired a a sleeveless punter & bragged about a bearded Grbac. How on earth is his love of LJ's play anything but natural. Some of you are just reaching for a consipiracy

milkman
08-27-2006, 06:36 AM
a defensive coordinator who hired a a sleeveless punter & bragged about a bearded Grbac. How on earth is his love of LJ's play anything but natural. Some of you are just reaching for a consipiracy

More importantly, how the hell can anyone believe the moron that is Gunt has the brains for a conspriacy?

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 06:51 AM
"Johnson has everything now, the spotlight, the love, the starting job. And nobody can understand why he’s still angry." Quote:

He'll smile when he gets paid like the number one back in the NFL!

Hammock Parties
08-27-2006, 06:58 AM
His quote about Michael Bennett is interesting. LJ is either nuts or just faking it.

Reaper16
08-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Could one of the reasons Herm kept Gunther around be that he didn't want LJ to be upset, given thier apparant relationship?