PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV and the preseason games.

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I ordered the $69.00($81.00 with extra receiver charge and tax) package for 4 months and then it goes to $99.00 dollars after that.
Since I spend most of my time in Arizona I figured it would be a great way to watch the Chiefs. Their Advertisement claims over 52 preseason games a year. Just pisses me off that I have to wait til 9 or 10 O'clock the next day to watch the friggin game. Has anyone else thought this when they ordered it?

|Zach|
08-27-2006, 09:31 AM
81 dollars for preseason games. Yowza.

The Bad Guy
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
It's not 81 dollars for preseason games.

It's 81 dollars for Sunday Ticket and the best package.

I don't know really how you could complain about that deal. Sunday Ticket alone is 250 coupled with the best package offer of 100 for four months, that's 650 for regular customers and only 280 for new ones.

Did you really buy this package to watch four meaningless preseason games or did you buy it to watch 17 weeks of football?

milkman
08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Are you sure it's not the NFL Network you're talking about when discussing preseason games?

I have DTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, and have no knowledge of any preseason packages offered beyond the NFL Net work.

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Are you sure it's not the NFL Network you're talking about when discussing preseason games?

I have DTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, and have no knowledge of any preseason packages offered beyond the NFL Net work.

Could be, the main TV has been set to the NFL Channel 90% of the time.

gcbroncos
08-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I ordered the $69.00($81.00 with extra receiver charge and tax) package for 4 months and then it goes to $99.00 dollars after that.
Since I spend most of my time in Arizona I figured it would be a great way to watch the Chiefs. Their Advertisement claims over 52 preseason games a year. Just pisses me off that I have to wait til 9 or 10 O'clock the next day to watch the friggin game. Has anyone else thought this when they ordered it?

unless its different in your area...i think you have it mixed up

the sunday ticket doesn't include preseason games...

the nfl network does though...and they play most of them on tape delay...i have the nfl network and its included in my direct tv basic package so i still don't know why you have to pay 80 bucks

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I have Cable(comes with the HOA fee's) and to watch the Chiefs I ordered DirecTV to watch the Chiefs preseason and regular season.

The Bad Guy
08-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I have Cable(comes with the HOA fee's) and to watch the Chiefs I ordered DirecTV to watch the Chiefs preseason and regular season.

I never understood why people get so worked up over seeing preseason games.

milkman
08-27-2006, 10:10 AM

HOA fees?

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 10:10 AM

It would be nice to watch your team play. Did you watch the game?

Chieftain58
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
HOA fees?

Home Owners Association fee's and yes I have both. (Cable and Satellite)

The Bad Guy
08-27-2006, 10:14 AM
It would be nice to watch your team play. Did you watch the game?

Nope. I didn't.

I just can't get real wrapped up in the preseason. More than half the time in the four games, you're watching a watered down product with guys who will never play on Sunday.

I'll save my energy for the show and not the dress rehersals.

Skip Towne
08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
unless its different in your area...i think you have it mixed up

the sunday ticket doesn't include preseason games...

the nfl network does though...and they play most of them on tape delay...i have the nfl network and its included in my direct tv basic package so i still don't know why you have to pay 80 bucks
If you don't know why he has to pay $80 (actually $81) then you have it mixed up. See post #3.

Deberg_1990
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Agreed.....But somewhere the NFL execs are the ones having the last laughs at people like this guys expense.

meStevo
08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
From NFL Network's site:

In addition to 52 preseason games, NFL Network will present NFL Total Access:No Huddle, a live look-in show that whips around to NFL preseason games in progress.

The literature you're quoting here is for the NFL Network, you skimmed something and improperly set your expectations, this isn't DirecTV's fault.

Sunday Ticket is only for the regular season, and more specifically, games shown on a Sunday during the regular season. It's entertaining to watch people have an aneurysm because a game got moved or bumped and suddenly cant be shown nationally. Though this year there are no blackouts on NFLST so we'll see if any odd situations or loopholes to that come up.

I loved Sunday Ticket threads and Sunday Ticket escalations when I worked for DirecTV, nobody gets more worked up than a irrational sports fan.

Skip Towne
08-27-2006, 01:37 PM
From NFL Network's site:

In addition to 52 preseason games, NFL Network will present NFL Total Access:No Huddle, a live look-in show that whips around to NFL preseason games in progress.

The literature you're quoting here is for the NFL Network, you skimmed something and improperly set your expectations, this isn't DirecTV's fault.

Sunday Ticket is only for the regular season, and more specifically, games shown on a Sunday during the regular season. It's entertaining to watch people have an aneurysm because a game got moved or bumped and suddenly cant be shown nationally. Though this year there are no blackouts on NFLST so we'll see if any odd situations or loopholes to that come up.

I loved Sunday Ticket threads and Sunday Ticket escalations when I worked for DirecTV, nobody gets more worked up than a irrational sports fan.
what job did you have with D*?

meStevo
08-27-2006, 06:26 PM
I was a supervisor at a outsourced call center, CS, level 1 and 2 tech support. People come across as clueless because of the information they're given and the wages they are paid. You're getting what DirecTV is paying for.

You'll find good reps from time to time, but that is because they aren't quite smart enough to leave and go where they're appreciated, or they are comfortable and are afraid to move on.

That's just how it is for outsourced call centers for the most part unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to dump Cox and go back to my modded DirecTivo and hapilly pay for Sunday Ticket, damn apartment just faces the wrong way.

chief52
08-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Though this year there are no blackouts on NFLST so we'll see if any odd situations or loopholes to that come up.

What do you mean there are no blackouts? All games are going to be shown regardless? Unfortunately, last season they were blacking out the games that were televised locally so I got screwed a few times. That is not going to happen this year?

jspchief
08-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I think people need to slow down and read the thread starter.

he never makes a single mention of the Sunday Ticket, but about half the responses so far seem to think he's talking about the Sunday Ticket

He's talking about Direct TV, not Sunday Ticket.

chief52
08-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I think people need to slow down and read the thread starter.

he never makes a single mention of the Sunday Ticket, but about half the responses so far seem to think he's talking about the Sunday Ticket

He's talking about Direct TV, not Sunday Ticket.

The thread started with DirecTV and has grown to add Sunday Ticket...appears pretty normal to me.

jspchief
08-27-2006, 07:26 PM
The thread started with DirecTV and has grown to add Sunday Ticket...appears pretty normal to me.I'm talking about posts 4, 6, and 15. These people are responding by telling him that Sunday Ticket doesn't include pre-season games. He never claimed to think they did.

BIG K
08-27-2006, 07:27 PM
The thread started with DirecTV and has grown to add Sunday Ticket...appears pretty normal to me.

Agreed. Had it not been for Sunday Ticket, I would not have switched to DirecTV in 95'. DirecTV seems to = Sunday Ticket in most of our minds...

chief52
08-27-2006, 07:30 PM
[
Gotcha...now I see what you are saying.

BIG K
08-27-2006, 07:35 PM
[
Gotcha...now I see what you are saying.

?

chief52
08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
?

I was responding to jspchief and your post got in the middle...

BIG K
08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I was responding to jspchief and your post got in the middle...

:)

alanm
08-27-2006, 08:04 PM
From NFL Network's site:

I think it's a little odd then that on the Sunday Ticket commercials they still show in the fine print at the bottom that blackout restrictions apply.
:hmmm:
That is unless the commercials are from last year.
We'll see. :cuss:

jspchief
08-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I think it's a little odd then that on the Sunday Ticket commercials they still show in the fine print at the bottom that blackout restrictions apply.
:hmmm:
That is unless the commercials are from last year.
We'll see. :cuss:According to Direct TV's website, blackouts are still in effect. Even the ones that are due to local broadcasts

Considering the amount of grief over this issue, I have to think they would have updated their website.

Personally, I think the no more blackouts thing is BS. I'll believe it when I see it.

HMc
08-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm thinking that the empty-seats-in-stadium resrictions still apply, but local games will be simulcast on Network tv and the 700s?

Or perhaps not.

alanm
08-27-2006, 08:13 PM
According to Direct TV's website, blackouts are still in effect. Even the ones that are due to local broadcasts

Considering the amount of grief over this issue, I have to think they would have updated their website.

Personally, I think the no more blackouts thing is BS. I'll believe it when I see it.
I live in the Denver zone of occupation. And we don't have a Fox station here in Scottsbluff. So I get the east and west coast feeds from Fox. The problem is that if the Chiefs are being shown in Cheyenne on Fox I get blacked out here in Scottsbluff. I shudder everytime the Chiefs are away at a NFC game. :banghead:

jspchief
08-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I live in the Denver zone of occupation. And we don't have a Fox station here in Scottsbluff. So I get the east and west coast feeds from Fox. The problem is that if the Chiefs are being shown in Cheyenne on Fox I get blacked out here in Scottsbluff. I shudder everytime the Chiefs are away at a NFC game. :banghead:

Games Available on NFL SUNDAY TICKET
Because of NFL and broadcast network requirements outside of DIRECTV's control, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS station will not be available on channels in the 700s. You must tune to your local FOX or CBS station to watch those games. DIRECTV is required to enforce this rule to ALL of its customers, including customers in areas where DIRECTV does not offer local channels.

http://directtv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

HMc
08-27-2006, 08:18 PM

Wouldn't a Chiefs away NFC game be on CBS?

alanm
08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Because of NFL and broadcast network requirements outside of DIRECTV's control, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS station will not be available on channels in the 700s. You must tune to your local FOX or CBS station to watch those games. DIRECTV is required to enforce this rule to ALL of its customers, including customers in areas where DIRECTV does not offer local channels.

But you know what Dish TV has the locals in their package. All the Denver stations and Cheyenne stations to boot. As well as the 2 Scottsbluff channels. Plus NPTV(public TV) But noooooooo Direct TV can't or won't do that. Plus if you want Public TV you have to pay for it. If Direct TV were to lose the Ticket to Dish the next go round... I'll be a Dish subscriber the next day. :cuss:

alanm
08-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Wouldn't a Chiefs away NFC game be on CBS?
I don't know how they figure it out but anytime they play on Fox I keep my fingers crossed come game time or I'm reduced to listening to the net broadcast. :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Skip Towne
08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
But you know what Dish TV has the locals in their package. All the Denver stations and Cheyenne stations to boot. As well as the 2 Scottsbluff channels. Plus NPTV(public TV) But noooooooo Direct TV can't or won't do that. Plus if you want Public TV you have to pay for it. If Direct TV were to lose the Ticket to Dish the next go round... I'll be a Dish subscriber the next day. :cuss:
So you are one of the criminals Dish Notwork is in bed with? Please see my thread titled "Dish Notwork is in big doodoo". Among other things, Dish has been ordered to cease providing out of market "locals" to distant markets. Dish has been doing this for years while D* followed the law. You do follow the law don't you?

chief52
08-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Pretty well says it all. Guess I better plan on watching the 49er game some where else as I am in the SF/Oakland blackout area all their games are broadcast locally...that is why I have DirecTV. I will be blacked out on both Raider games as well as the 49ers and others I am sure.

HMc
08-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Pretty well says it all. Guess I better plan on watching the 49er game some where else as I am in the SF/Oakland blackout area all their games are broadcast locally...that is why I have DirecTV. I will be blacked out on both Raider games as well as the 49ers and others I am sure.

so why can't you watch them on your CBS affilliate? Because they won't be sellouts?

chief52
08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
so why can't you watch them on your CBS affilliate? Because they won't be sellouts?

I do not have cable. My only feed is from DirecTV and that will be blacked out as the game will be on the local affiliate. I would be able to watch it if I had cable but it is not worth it just for a few rare games. I can watch those at a friend's place.

chief52
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Sadly, I believe you are correct. Contact your congressmen. It is federal law that causes these blackouts. D* has its faults but this is not one of them.

I am sure of that. They wish they could bring all the games. It does not benefit D* in any way...

alanm
08-27-2006, 08:55 PM
So you are one of the criminals Dish Notwork is in bed with? Please see my thread titled "Dish Notwork is in big doodoo". Among other things, Dish has been ordered to cease providing out of market "locals" to distant markets. Dish has been doing this for years while D* followed the law. You do follow the law don't you?
If I want to watch the locals ABC and CBS and NPTV I have to turn off and receiver and fiddle with the rabbit ears. :banghead:

HMc
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
I do not have cable. My only feed is from DirecTV and that will be blacked out as the game will be on the local affiliate. I would be able to watch it if I had cable but it is not worth it just for a few rare games. I can watch those at a friend's place.

So you don't have access to your local affilliates? You don't need cable, what about an ATSC tuner and a pair of rabbit ears? Or if you're happy with analog, just a pair of rabbit ears? I don't understand the whole directv locals thing so i won't go there.

alanm
08-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Skip I have Direct TV. I rarely watch the locals anyway unless football is on. It's JMO that if you're paying out the ass like I am for Sunday ticket you should be able to watch ALL the games regardless of what's on the local channels. :cuss:

Skip Towne
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
If I want to watch the locals ABC and CBS and NPTV I have to turn off and receiver and fiddle with the rabbit ears. :banghead:
I know, it is shitty. I have customers that can't get the "locals" with an 80' tall antenna. But the networks "footprint" says they can so they deny any requests for "out of market" stations like New York and LA. Blame the car dealers and furniture salesmen for these laws. They want you watching their ads not some ads from New YorkCity. And their advertising rates are based on number of eyeballs so they want your eyeballs since they are paying for it.

chief52
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM
So you don't have access to your local affilliates? You don't need cable, what about an ATSC tuner and a pair of rabbit ears? Or if you're happy with analog, just a pair of rabbit ears? I don't understand the whole directv locals thing so i won't go there.

There is no "local" Fox station and I guess I could use rabbit ears for CBS, but that would suck when you are used to a great picture. I will just plan on going else where those weekends. I think I am going to Reno the weekend of the 49er game. There will be lots of big screens to watch the game on there :clap: Lots of 49er fans too.

morphius
08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
That is one of the things I may never understand, how do these type of rules by the gov't help the people? I'm not sure why they feel it is important to protect local TV Companies and leave the consumer with no easy recourse. Of course I'm not sure why DTV has to pay to carry local channels either, if they have to pay the consumer should have their choice of what they want to see.

Oh well, pointless and probably ignorant arguement...

jspchief
08-27-2006, 09:27 PM
That is one of the things I may never understand, how do these type of rules by the gov't help the people? I'm not sure why they feel it is important to protect local TV Companies and leave the consumer with no easy recourse. Of course I'm not sure why DTV has to pay to carry local channels either, if they have to pay the consumer should have their choice of what they want to see.

Oh well, pointless and probably ignorant arguement...I'm just guessing but I think it may have to do with advertising. A local broadcast company sells a certain amount of local advertising with the gane broadcast. A satellite company would have the power to only sell to big time advertisers. Creates a competitive advantage that could eventually squeeze the locals out.

Again, just a guess.

It's also possible that it's part of an antiquated law that didn't foresee this situation.

morphius
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm just guessing but I think it may have to do with advertising. A local broadcast company sells a certain amount of local advertising with the gane broadcast. A satellite company would have the power to only sell to big time advertisers. Creates a competitive advantage that could eventually squeeze the locals out.

Again, just a guess.

It's also possible that it's part of an antiquated law that didn't foresee this situation.
Well, then it should be free for DTV to air them. I'm sure since the cable companies have a monopoly they are required to send the signals, but DTV has to pay for the honor? Silly.

jspchief
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Another guess is that maybe it's not an FCC or antitrust law at all, but rather part of the agreement between the NFL and and the networks bidding on the broadcast packages.

Why would CBS be willing to bid so much money on a game they don't have exclusive rights to? The value drops once they aren't the only ones offering it. Basically it's a guarantee that when a network bids on a package, they are getting at leats X number of games that can only be seen by watching their station.

HMc
08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
if they had 3 feeds per game, one for each home market then the national out-of-market feed, it would probably work, wouldnt it? (im aware of bandwidth limitations).

So if KC was playing Denver, the 700s feed (call it 701) that KC broadcast area residents get would be a clone of the local CBS feed (including ads), the 700s feed that Denver get would be a clone of the Denver local (call it 702) and the out-of-market feed would be 703.

Of course if they could do this they may aswell just carry everyone's local network affilate on their sat and you'd never miss a game (non-sellouts notwithstanding).